What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Packer-Bear week used to be fun around here (1 Viewer)

When the rivalry becomes a death march, the losing side doesn't feel as spirited anymore.
Yea, it hasn't been a rivalry for 30 years. GB has won 34 of the last 46. 6 of those 12 losses were in 2004-06 when Rodgers was getting his feet wet in the league. During the Rodgers' and Favre prime years the Packers won approximately 85% of the games. That's utterly dominating. It's not a rivalry unless the games are closer to 50% win rates.

Today I actually pulled up an old Packer/Bear thread meaning to add a reply to bump it to the top. Hovering my mouse over the post button felt like putting a revolver in my mouth, I couldn't pull the trigger.

Going to be a long year as a Bear fan, they will be getting whipped repeatedly. About the only way this season can be considered a success is if Green Bay doesn't hoist the Lombardi, I'll settle for that.

When the rivalry becomes a death march, the losing side doesn't feel as spirited anymore.
Yea, it hasn't been a rivalry for 30 years. GB has won 34 of the last 46. 6 of those 12 losses were in 2004-06 when Rodgers was getting his feet wet in the league. During the Rodgers' and Favre prime years the Packers won approximately 85% of the games. That's utterly dominating. It's not a rivalry unless the games are closer to 50% win rates.
Brett Favre has 12 wins at Soldier Field. 13 behind Cutler...of course, he only played 1 game there a year (numbers only include regular season). That is good enough for 10th all time in wins at Soldier Field.

Rodgers comes in at #18 with 5 wins.

I can keep it going in their honor.

"Packers suck! Let's go... :shudder: Jay. You can... Uh... Do it."

If I were a betting man I would put everything I own on the Pack to cover at 7. The only way it doesn't happen is if Aaron breaks a limb.

Bears 61, Packers 7[14] (December 7, 1980) – In the game, the Bears scored eight offensive touchdowns. After the Packers had suffered the second most lopsided defeat in their history, Bart Starr charged across the field to confront Bears coach Neill Armstrong. Starr was upset because Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan had the Bears blitzing from all angles in the fourth quarter, even after the Packers inserted backup quarterback David Whitehurst with the score 48-7.[15] "Bart Starr was upset," Armstrong said after the game. "He did the talking and I did the listening. He said he'd rather not hear what I had to say, something to that effect, and he left." Two years later, Bill Tobin, the Bears' vice president of player personnel at the time, revealed that he had been instructed by general manager Jim Finks during the off-season to study film and decode the Packers' signal system for relaying plays to the quarterback. Tobin, who had been in the Packers' front office during the Devine years, had been fired by Starr in 1975 as part of a wholesale housecleaning. "I went at it like a tiger does good meat," Tobin said at the time. "We wanted 100 points," defensive end Dan Hampton said. "It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of pricks."

The original "Spygate"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bears%E2%80%93Packers_rivalry

• Love
Reactions: -X-
Bears 61, Packers 7[14] (December 7, 1980) – In the game, the Bears scored eight offensive touchdowns. After the Packers had suffered the second most lopsided defeat in their history, Bart Starr charged across the field to confront Bears coach Neill Armstrong. Starr was upset because Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan had the Bears blitzing from all angles in the fourth quarter, even after the Packers inserted backup quarterback David Whitehurst with the score 48-7.[15] "Bart Starr was upset," Armstrong said after the game. "He did the talking and I did the listening. He said he'd rather not hear what I had to say, something to that effect, and he left." Two years later, Bill Tobin, the Bears' vice president of player personnel at the time, revealed that he had been instructed by general manager Jim Finks during the off-season to study film and decode the Packers' signal system for relaying plays to the quarterback. Tobin, who had been in the Packers' front office during the Devine years, had been fired by Starr in 1975 as part of a wholesale housecleaning. "I went at it like a tiger does good meat," Tobin said at the time. "We wanted 100 points," defensive end Dan Hampton said. "It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of pricks."

Stealing the signals going in to Starr explains how the Pack only scored 7, but I'm more impressed by the Bears scoring 8 offensive TD's.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I bet on the game. She was born in Chicago. I've really been enjoying her steadfastness in supporting her team.

Bears 61, Packers 7[14] (December 7, 1980) In the game, the Bears scored eight offensive touchdowns. After the Packers had suffered the second most lopsided defeat in their history, Bart Starr charged across the field to confront Bears coach Neill Armstrong. Starr was upset because Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan had the Bears blitzing from all angles in the fourth quarter, even after the Packers inserted backup quarterback David Whitehurst with the score 48-7.[15] "Bart Starr was upset," Armstrong said after the game. "He did the talking and I did the listening. He said he'd rather not hear what I had to say, something to that effect, and he left." Two years later, Bill Tobin, the Bears' vice president of player personnel at the time, revealed that he had been instructed by general manager Jim Finks during the off-season to study film and decode the Packers' signal system for relaying plays to the quarterback. Tobin, who had been in the Packers' front office during the Devine years, had been fired by Starr in 1975 as part of a wholesale housecleaning. "I went at it like a tiger does good meat," Tobin said at the time. "We wanted 100 points," defensive end Dan Hampton said. "It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of pricks."

Awesome.I remember back in the 80s when Ditka and Gregg were coaching, and the two teams despised each other. As a little kid, I walked through the Lambeau parking lot with my dad.....and saw a Jim McMahon doll hanging from a noose, being burned and doused with alcohol. It was fantastic.

Also remember a Walter Payton run where he got hit by DB Mark Lee near the sideline. While getting hit, Payton grabbed Lee by the face mask and pulled him over. Lee got flagged for a late hit.....even though Payton extended the play by grabbing the face mask.

Lastly, I was at the "replay game" in 1989. Loved hearing the announcer say that the call was overturned, and Majik Man threw the winning TD. Still love bringing that game up withy Bears fans.

Go Pack!

Users who are viewing this thread