What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back in China again - ask me anything (1 Viewer)

Lan Kwai Fong is no joke.  I want to be there right now....except it'd be 3pm there.  Another 6 or 10 hours and it's amazing
I lived there (Hong Kong) 25 years ago, down by the water in Wanchai. Effing great. Lan Kwai Fong was several time a week, when we didn't end at Lockhart-do :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read today that there is a craft beer boom going on in China now, Specifically about Shenzhen , maybe there is something going on in Zhongshan as well

So report back on that
Last night in my Hong Kong hotel, I had a couple APAs from Hong Kong Brewery called Dragons Back.  If I was blindfolded and asked what it was, I would have told you it was an IPA.  Overly happy for an APA (like most of them are, imo), but it was really refreshing to find a beer that didnt taste like MGD.

Right now, I'm in Zhongshan drinking Captain Morgan's because I don't really want Tsingtao.

Last night in my Hong Kong hotel, I had a couple APAs from Hong Kong Brewery called Dragons Back.  If I was blindfolded and asked what it was, I would have told you it was an IPA.  Overly happy for an APA (like most of them are, imo), but it was really refreshing to find a beer that didnt taste like MGD.

Right now, I'm in Zhongshan drinking Captain Morgan's because I don't really want Tsingtao.
Right now I'm having tea at my desk in Lima - I'd prefer an overly hoppy APA but it's Monday morning here...

not good.

=========

rodgers

Charles

forte

Jeffrey

Diggs

Gronk

Murray

Vikings D/ST

Walsh

=======

Matt Jones

Kewlce

abdullah

Jennings

Rivers

Forsett

Starks
Without knowing all the details, that is a little rough. Getting Gronk and then Kelce probably messed up a chance to get a better WR to go with Jeffrey. Charles unfortunately was probably still too highly ranked so he fell to you. I actually don't mind your RBs. Charles/Forte/Murray/Jones/Abdullah/Jennings/Forsett is technically 6 starting RBs, so you just need Charles to get healthy (risky) and you aren't in bad shape. WR is where you are in trouble. Jeffrey and Diggs?  Hopefully, some of the RBs show up and you can trade for another WR or heck, Gronk could get you one as well.

Would you go to China for vacation?  I have an opportunity to schedule 3-4 days in Taipei (layover from Saigon).  Problem is, I don't see much there I want to do other than say I have been to china.

Would you go to China for vacation?  I have an opportunity to schedule 3-4 days in Taipei (layover from Saigon).  Problem is, I don't see much there I want to do other than say I have been to china.
I'd go to the Great Wall. That is a full day excursion from Beijing. But probably easier to get from Saigon to Beijing than from Taipei. The forbidden City is also interesting although not enough for itself (I did that once, though. left Shanghai Friday night, went to Beijing, flew out Saturday late afternoon. Morning until maybe 1 pm at the Forbidden City, then Peking duck lunch, then off to the airport, all prearranged, with driver etc)

But there are many other places too go in the region that may appeal as well. Bali, for instance, diving in the Phillippines (don't get shot though) or Borneo, Hong Kong, Singapore - or even stay in Saigon

I'd go to the Great Wall. That is a full day excursion from Beijing. But probably easier to get from Saigon to Beijing than from Taipei. The forbidden City is also interesting although not enough for itself (I did that once, though. left Shanghai Friday night, went to Beijing, flew out Saturday late afternoon. Morning until maybe 1 pm at the Forbidden City, then Peking duck lunch, then off to the airport, all prearranged, with driver etc)

But there are many other places too go in the region that may appeal as well. Bali, for instance, diving in the Phillippines (don't get shot though) or Borneo, Hong Kong, Singapore - or even stay in Saigon
This was my first thought.  There is a group of friends going that really want to go to Taipei.  After reviewing the possible attractions I honestly will probably stay in Saigon an extra day or two then head home.  Hanoi was another possibility but I assume 5-7 days in Vietnam will be enough for me. I can save 300 on the ticket by skipping Taipei as well.  Thanks for the advice. 

Personally, no.  The plane ride and jet lag are dreadful.  I don't enjoy the food.  I really don't like crowds.  I don't really like places with low English use, its tough to do anything on your own.

I'd much rather vacation in USofA, Europe, or the Carribean, but that's me.

This was my first thought.  There is a group of friends going that really want to go to Taipei.  After reviewing the possible attractions I honestly will probably stay in Saigon an extra day or two then head home.  Hanoi was another possibility but I assume 5-7 days in Vietnam will be enough for me. I can save 300 on the ticket by skipping Taipei as well.  Thanks for the advice. 
Fuzzy Logic and Pasteur come recommended if you are interested in hoppy beverages

ETA in Saigon

ETA 2: Just remembered I got this quick overview on tourist attractions in HCMC  from a buddy that lived their for a couple of years 

[SIZE=11pt]I would recommend below[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]HCMC: a must is a bike tour. [/SIZE]https://xotours.vn/

[SIZE=11pt]Would also visit the war remnant museum, some not so nice pictures of the Vietnam war but still a must. Also visit the tunnels and shoot AK47 ;) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Mekong Delta, boat tour. We used a small company called ecotour, very nice. [/SIZE]ecotourct@gmai.com

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Phu Quoc, best place for the beach. Book cheap flights via vietjetair or jetstar. You can also go out to Vung tau area, but the beach is not as nice. Some good hotels outside vung tau though.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]He can also take a night in a hotel near the city, a bit expensive, but very nice getaway. You can be picked up by boat near downtown. One night is enough.  http://www.anlam.com/saigonriver/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Would also visit the war remnant museum, some not so nice pictures of the Vietnam war but still a must. Also visit the tunnels and shoot AK47 ;) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

This is definitely going to happen - Thank you for posting!!!!!!!!!

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

Go early in the day to the tunnels, otherwise the AK47 may be shut down.

As I understand from my business partner who went in March the AK47 is mounted on a pedestal with a very limited movement range. But you can shoot it if you get there in good time before they close

And the Vietnam War museum is obviously a one sided affair

Personally, no.  The plane ride and jet lag are dreadful.  I don't enjoy the food.  I really don't like crowds.  I don't really like places with low English use, its tough to do anything on your own.

I'd much rather vacation in USofA, Europe, or the Carribean, but that's me.
Yea but walking around saying "how's the weather down there?" to everyone you pass would be pretty awesome. 

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

Just getting back from another trip.  Same place, same deal. Notes from this trip:

Folks couldn't help themselves asking about Trump.  One Brit did because he figured since everyone asked him about Brexit, he was justified in talking politics.  The Chinese seem to support Trump much more than we (generic Americans) do.  They figure that he is a businessman and businessmen can always be negotiated with, and business is like the most important thing there.

I got dragged out to a KTV bar (karaoke), which is the most popular nightlife activity.  I had to sing, and the closest song to my range is Bon Jovi.  I need to get better for next time, I'm a terrible singer.  It was a pretty surreal experience though.  Every group that goes gets their own room so there is privacy - my understanding is that privacy allows a lot of extracurricular activities with the right group.  This was a work group, so AFAIK, there was none of that.   There was a dice-based drinking game though.

I did get a chance to walk around hong Kong.  What an awesome town.  I left the 'miracle mile' area near the hotel and went to the 'cat street market', which is full of 'antiques' and the Hollywood street a block over with authentic antiques and art dealers.  There was some really cool stuff like 2000 yr old statues and vases and jade or Wolly mammoth carved tusks.  Next time I'd like to get something legit, but I need to do a little homework to see what stuff is actually worth.

There is a hell of a lot of money in China.  I have no doubt they will be the worlds foremost economy and market within a few years, and no A!erican president can stop it.  IMO, its stupid to complain about the Chinese taking our jobs -that cat is out of the bag, it was inevitable, and has nothing to do with us and everything with the Chinese culture being tailor made for manufacturing.

back in China - Shenzhen this time.  I've been here about a week.  some obervations from this trip:

• English is much more prevalent.  By that, I mean small kids will come up to us on the street to say "hello".  I think they are learning English and want to try it out.  Occasional people in restaraunts will have English as well.  I assume that's because Shenzhen is a technology hub and there are a lot of Americans coming over here to do business.
  • the factory I'm at is across the street from Foxconn.  There are no nets over the windows to prevent suicide.
  • pollution is really bad (again).  I'm on the 21st floor and in my hotel and can't see more than a mile.  Barely seen the sun all week.
  • there is a bug push for electric vehicles.  I was told that there is like a $10k US tax to buy a gasoline vehicle, nothing for electric.
  • the waterways seem cleaner - Chinese host was bragging on clean water.  Air, not so much.
  • less KTV (i.e. karaoke brothels).  Still around, but cleaned up and not on every street corner.
  • food is really good and lots of it. I really enjoy anything spicy.
  • apparently craft beer is becoming a thing.  Hotel has three offerings from a local brewery: a copper, a passionfruit lager, and a jasmine lager.  The last two are surprisingly good, if a little sweet.

most of the questions i have are food related.  do you eat chinese food the whole time, or some sort continental fare from the hotel?   are there street food vendors?  do you patronize them, if so?  do you have a local guide/fixer when you go out to eat?  if not, how do you choose where to eat?  

i would love to go, just for the food.

most of the questions i have are food related.  do you eat chinese food the whole time, or some sort continental fare from the hotel?   are there street food vendors?  do you patronize them, if so?  do you have a local guide/fixer when you go out to eat?  if not, how do you choose where to eat?  

i would love to go, just for the food.
for breakfast, I usually eat at the hotel - it's usually a pretty nice buffet spread including western and Asian staples.  This hotel has decent bacon which is nice.  My favorite thing is the dragon fruit which remids me of kiwi but not slimy.

For lunch and dinner, we usually go to some restaurant.  Last night an American co-worker and I ventured out on our own to find a local restaurant.  I can't say what style Chinese food it was, we had a good mix of things.  The way it typically works is you order a whole bunch of things ala carte and everyone shares everything - family style, I think we would call it in the west.  all food goes on a giant lazy-susan in the middle of the table and you pick at everything as you want.  Lots of variety.  Lots of beef, chicken, pork, fish, veggies.  Occasional dumplings, and typically some rice.  There is usually bok choi and egg plant - I really like the egg plant.

How to pick restaurants - we are usually at the mercy of our hosts, who know the town and what they like.  If not, the challenge is finding somewhere with pictures in the menu and/or a waitress who speaks a little English.  Also, you have to be careful with money.  They may not take US credit card so you have to be sure to take cash.

There is street food, especially in Hong Kong.  I don't trust it.

We ate street food while we were in - but it was on Shamian Island in Guangzhou.  It's basically a place where a bunch of foreign embassies used to be.  It's like going back to the 1920s-30s there - those buildings make you feel like you're in a Humphrey Bogart movie.  

back in China - Shenzhen this time.  I've been here about a week.  some obervations from this trip:

• English is much more prevalent.  By that, I mean small kids will come up to us on the street to say "hello".  I think they are learning English and want to try it out.  Occasional people in restaraunts will have English as well.  I assume that's because Shenzhen is a technology hub and there are a lot of Americans coming over here to do business.
  • the factory I'm at is across the street from Foxconn.  There are no nets over the windows to prevent suicide.
  • pollution is really bad (again).  I'm on the 21st floor and in my hotel and can't see more than a mile.  Barely seen the sun all week.
  • there is a bug push for electric vehicles.  I was told that there is like a $10k US tax to buy a gasoline vehicle, nothing for electric.
  • the waterways seem cleaner - Chinese host was bragging on clean water.  Air, not so much.
  • less KTV (i.e. karaoke brothels).  Still around, but cleaned up and not on every street corner.
  • food is really good and lots of it. I really enjoy anything spicy.
  • apparently craft beer is becoming a thing.  Hotel has three offerings from a local brewery: a copper, a passionfruit lager, and a jasmine lager.  The last two are surprisingly good, if a little sweet.
any recommendations for shanghai ? 
im headed there for 5 days in a couple of weeks

any recommendations for shanghai ? 
im headed there for 5 days in a couple of weeks
you will figure it out.  HUGE city.  think 3x bigger than NYC.  I can't give you any better suggestions of what to do/see there that you can't find out on the internet or travel guides. 

If you are interested, you can ask around for the "copy" markets and get some counterfeit stuff for cheap.  really poor quality but sometimes good for a whim.  fake watches, purses, clothes, sporting goods, whatever you want.  It's worth doing for the experience, I think.  The haggling is always fun.  Remember - they will usually take less than half of what they initially tell you the cost is.  Example: you say, "how much?" they break out a calculator and punch a number - $500. You come back and say, "no, too much.  how about $100?"  they will act insulted, and so you offer maybe $150.  They say no, and you turn around and walk out.  They will chase you down and offer $400, you come back with $150, and eventually they will give it to you for $200.

The market I went to for this was like a shopping mall and I believe it was in the basement of a science museum.

One place we went to here in Shenhen  - it was an indoor flea market full of industrial goods.  Being engineers, it was like a candy shop for us.  Completely full of stuff I've never seen for sale retail anywhere domestically - any kind of hand tool you could want, but also lathe chucks, mill bits, polishing tools, automated wire crimping machines, tape and reel SMT components, LED's, LCD's, soldering stations, bulk adhesives, whatever you want.  It was like walking into McMaster Carr.  In the US, it's pretty cool because we can open up a web browser and order anything and have it the next day...in Shenzhen, all you have to do is drive to this market and you get whatever you need immediately.  An it was busy!  There are so many factories here, so many people making ####, that an industrial market like this can thrive.

How much cheaper are electronics there?  Like would a $3k tv cost $500 or something?

What brand of car do you see the most and are there lots of cars?

Do the ladies admire your "westerness"?

there is a bug push for electric vehicles.  I was told that there is like a $10k US tax to buy a gasoline vehicle, nothing for electric.
I believe it is a fee for a license plate. BBC had an article on the overall push recently

apparently craft beer is becoming a thing.  Hotel has three offerings from a local brewery: a copper, a passionfruit lager, and a jasmine lager.  The last two are surprisingly good, if a little sweet.
:pickle:

How much cheaper are electronics there?  Like would a $3k tv cost $500 or something?
This may be a bit dated, a few years since I went last, but when I was there the prices were no where near that much lower. Plus there is always the provenance of it - the fakes are really, really good. Better off buying in Hong Kong at a higher price IMHO (say four or five years ago you could get something like 15-20% lower price on the latest iPhone or iPad).

For larger stuff, like TVs, the Chinese branded ones were obviously cheaper than the Korean "competitors", but also somethign like a "generation" behind

Users who are viewing this thread