What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (1 Viewer)

He isn't going to charge for it?
His new contract with Time Warner/HBO kicks in today. They're paying him $5MM a year for a podcast that starts today, a weekly TV show that starts airing early next year, and to help produce sports documentaries under the HBO brand similar to what he did with the 30 For 30 series at ESPN.

He isn't going to charge for it?
His new contract with Time Warner/HBO kicks in today. They're paying him $5MM a year for a podcast that starts today, a weekly TV show that starts airing early next year, and to help produce sports documentaries under the HBO brand similar to what he did with the 30 For 30 series at ESPN.
I think he's going to be great with no filter in the HBO landscape.

Welcome back, Bill!

Glad it's back. I can do without the Goddell holier than thou politic-ing stuff, but love the rest.

:pickle:

I could do without the Tom Brady ball washing, but what the heck. If I get to hear him bust on the ESPN on air talent, it's worth every second.

The impression of Golic on Ep. 2 is so spot on.

Yeah, I missed the Cousin Sal podcasts. That was fun again.
Only real constructive criticism was that Bill really steamrolled Sal there.

He obviously had a lot to say not having a podcast in 5 months so I understand it but there was little back and forth. Bill usually, after talking about his Patriots, let's Sal talk about his Cowboys a bit. Bill wasn't interested in much Sal had to say today.

I'm sure they'll work back into their old rhythm though eventually.

Episode 3 Talking movies with Wesley Morris.

If all he did was talk movies, I'd be sold.

So many times when he's talking about movies, he is saying the exact same thing that I'm thinking when I was watching a particular movie.

I know he gave a heads up that this week's Guess the Lines would be late, but I still find it really funny that he couldn't even meet his very first "weekly podcast available on this day" target.

I know he gave a heads up that this week's Guess the Lines would be late, but I still find it really funny that he couldn't even meet his very first "weekly podcast available on this day" target.
He's coming back after contractual obligations into other guys that have their own thing going.

Maybe I've been reading Simmons too long, but this is par for the course but also worthwhile.

Does he always spend half the show talking about gambling on the NFL? I like his NBA discussion but the sports betting stuff is boring.

Was a bit surprised Simmons did not launch with some bigger guests. Get the feeling he is having trouble booking. Had to turn off the podcast today that was dedicated to a potential LA Olympics bid year's away. Odd topic/guests at this time.

Was a bit surprised Simmons did not launch with some bigger guests. Get the feeling he is having trouble booking. Had to turn off the podcast today that was dedicated to a potential LA Olympics bid year's away. Odd topic/guests at this time.
I always love Klosterman, so that was great, but otherwise I have usually only listened for the guests. I never really paid attention to the schedule before, but it didn't seem like the bigger guests were on that often. Plus now some of the ESPN basketball guys might not be allowed on.

Simmons was on Mike Francesa yesterday and apparently Francesa offered him a job on the show to be the co-host after Mad Dog left.

Also, I don't think that it was specifically mentioned here or in the Grantland thread (maybe I'm wrong), but he had said on one of the new BS reports and re-iterated with Francesa, that the beginning of the end for him and ESPN was the 2nd season of NBA Countdown. Specifically, he didn't want to come back, but they wanted him to and he gave in, but I guess they had a lot of issues there.

Seems like he is settling into a rhythm weekly: Guess the Lines, some guest, Picks/NBA. 3 podcasts, roughly a MWF timeline. I like it. Between Bill Simmons and Bill Burr I get all my podcast fills for the week (and get way too much Patriots talk, but what are you gonna do).

Seems like he is settling into a rhythm weekly: Guess the Lines, some guest, Picks/NBA. 3 podcasts, roughly a MWF timeline. I like it. Between Bill Simmons and Bill Burr I get all my podcast fills for the week (and get way too much Patriots talk, but what are you gonna do).
Same feelings here.

I'm pretty happy with the product :shrug:

Same feelings here.

I'm pretty happy with the product :shrug:
I should mention I listen in our studio, so my GF hears much of the simmons podcasts.

I really appreciate the sports/pop culture mix references he still does, and how he often explains his theories every time he brings one up. It's like she's learning more sports stuff by osmosis. It's a dream come true.

Also, I don't think that it was specifically mentioned here or in the Grantland thread (maybe I'm wrong), but he had said on one of the new BS reports and re-iterated with Francesa, that the beginning of the end for him and ESPN was the 2nd season of NBA Countdown. Specifically, he didn't want to come back, but they wanted him to and he gave in, but I guess they had a lot of issues there.
Have a hard time believing he didn't want on countdown. Biggest exposure he ever got.

Have a hard time believing he didn't want on countdown. Biggest exposure he ever got.
Yeah and his performance wasn't well reviewed either that first year. I'll bet there's more to the story.

Doesn't jive with any of his other moves, either.His other complaint that rings false is lack of resources devoted to Grantland. The site had triple the staff of its competitors and got a TV show that had no business being on a major cable network.

Yeah and his performance wasn't well reviewed either that first year. I'll bet there's more to the story.
Believe he's said that the travel was why he wanted out after the first year. And it might be true...you have to remember, you never hear an adult complain about getting sick as much as Simmons. I've heard him talk about having strep, the flu, sinus infections etc multiple times during that time on the show.

Listening to him make fun of Phil Simms for his "we talked about this" stuff, I can't help but think of all the times on his podcast that I've heard him say, "I tweeted about this, but" or "I wrote about this in my column," before making a point.

He and Cousin Sal seem to have improved their impressions, though. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread