What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Philbin Fired. Trumpets Sound. (1 Viewer)

Doubledown1313

Footballguy
Owner Stephen Ross said the decision will be made by Monday. Was reported on Football Night in America.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a horrifically bad head coach. The players don't like him. The fans don't like him. And he doesn't win. So happy to see him go if he does. He should take lazor with him. Then The 2 of them can coach their madden teams on Xbox for the rest of the season and find ingenious ways to misuse their talent and lose games without harming an entire football organization.

He's a terrible coach, but who are you hiring in week 5 who's going to magically turn it around?

This kind of thing, even a rumor of a coach getting canned in season, is the mark of a joke franchise. It's less embarrassing to just endorse the guy, quietly go 3-13, and clean house after the season.

At this point and it in the media you almost have to don't you if they have a coordinator with any potential? Players know he is toast.

He's a terrible coach, but who are you hiring in week 5 who's going to magically turn it around?

This kind of thing, even a rumor of a coach getting canned in season, is the mark of a joke franchise. It's less embarrassing to just endorse the guy, quietly go 3-13, and clean house after the season.
Exactly

Really hope they go outside of the coordinators for this. Faust posted a 9 sec 3 and out where the Jets ran the same defense each play and Miami didn't stop to adjust to a rushing DB. Lazor seems just bad and the DL should be one of the most talented in the league and is getting torched.

Worst coach in the league. Called this when i saw him on hard knocks
Haha, this is what comes to mind too. I think it was when Chad Johnson was in trouble and him meeting w/Reggie Bush and his team leaders it seemed like such a joke and couldn't believe this guy was aNFL coach/

His son died from alcohol-related drowning a week before he was hired as coach. I can't imagine being able to focus on running a football team under those circumstances.

For the past few seasons I have wondered how his son's death in 2012 factored into this situation, and I have mixed feelings even bringing that up. Was he a better coach before that and has he been distracted since then? Has MIA been extra (and perhaps unreasonably) patient with him as a result?

Has a team ever fired its coach mid-season and turned things around? I know it's happened in baseball ('78 Yankees, for one) but I can't recall a football team pulling it off.

Screw it...the Bears won today. Phins have a clear shot at the number one overall pick. Let them finish out the season.

Has a team ever fired its coach mid-season and turned things around? I know it's happened in baseball ('78 Yankees, for one) but I can't recall a football team pulling it off.
Art Shell with the Raiders (started 1-3, went 7-5 with Shell).

Bruce Coslett with the Bengals (started 1-6 with David Shula, then went 7-2 with Coslett). Coslett turned out to be almost as bad a Shula in the long run, though.

Don Coryell took over the Chargers when they were 1-3 and had several good years.

Bruce Coslett with the Bengals (started 1-6 with David Shula, then went 7-2 with Coslett). Coslett turned out to be almost as bad a Shula in the long run, though.

Don Coryell took over the Chargers when they were 1-3 and had several good years.
So the best case scenario is you go 8-8?

No, the best case scenario is that the new HC gives Lamar Miller 20 carries per game..

yeah, likely. 8-8 would be lucky at this point, but the point would be momentum for next year. Meaning if they ride it out and fire him end of season, the new coach has to start from scratch.

But if there's no candidates for next year, maybe just ride it out. You risk losing players though, a bad culture, etc.

For the past few seasons I have wondered how his son's death in 2012 factored into this situation, and I have mixed feelings even bringing that up. Was he a better coach before that and has he been distracted since then? Has MIA been extra (and perhaps unreasonably) patient with him as a result?
I thought that about the Packers loss that year after going 15-1. Small community, terrible loss, but don't know how that would affect him so far away. It may have made things easier.

2003 Marlins too.

I expect no turnaround, but enough is enough. When your clients/customers (fans) who contribute a decent amount revenue demand it.......you act.

At least now the players can look themselves in the mirror and we can see what they are made of now. Because they stink too. Let's not sugar coat that either.

But this coaching staff has been nothing short of a complete and utter failure on every level.

Heard speculation of Dan Campbell, the TEs coach. No link, dont even recall where I heard it. I think whoever it was was going down the list, and he was in their opinion the best of a horrid field of options. I do recall feeling like he was pretty sharp on Hard Knocks, and being a former player (although a very non descript one) may allow him to relate better than Philbin who clearly has trouble relating to the players.

Sounds like Coyle has to go, and making Lazor the HC would be ridiculous given the lack of offensive production. Best may be to leave Philbin in place for the rest of the year and fire both coordinators. Maybe Campbell gets a shot at OC?

ETA - This was just in Omar Kelly (Sun Sentinal)'s twitter feed regarding Campbell...

Omar Kelly@OmarKelly 26m26 minutes ago
Omar Kelly Retweeted KoBiE_A_

Promising coach, but not sure he is ready to be a head coach, or would have respect of the entire locker room.

He also mentioned Darren Rizzi who I believe is the ST coach as a potential HC candidate.

Omar Kelly added,

Bill Barnwell's got a piece up talking about how Philbin should not be fired.

Philbin might not be the kind of man who makes a good head coach, but he's been handed some pretty lousy 'groceries'.

I've been pulling for Philbin because he's not your typical, fire breathing head coach, but he definitely seems to have trouble getting his guys into the right headspace.

He'll be better off. I wouldn't want the HC job down there.
FWIW, my childhood baseball friend, Ray Farmer, GM of the Browns, interviewed with the Dolphins and turned that job down for, gulp, Clevland.

I hear that female math/cap wizard ? Carries a lot of power.

2003 Marlins too.

I expect no turnaround, but enough is enough. When your clients/customers (fans) who contribute a decent amount revenue demand it.......you act.

At least now the players can look themselves in the mirror and we can see what they are made of now. Because they stink too. Let's not sugar coat that either.

But this coaching staff has been nothing short of a complete and utter failure on every level.
I agree. When you fire a coach midseason, you're mostly just mollifying the fans and (maybe) sending a message to the players that quitting won't be tolerated. But you're basically in a crap situation, and nothing that you do is going to salvage it.

Philbin might not be the kind of man who makes a good head coach, but he's been handed some pretty lousy 'groceries'.

I've been pulling for Philbin because he's not your typical, fire breathing head coach, but he definitely seems to have trouble getting his guys into the right headspace.
Tannehill? Miller? Landry? Suh?

He has the groceries, he's just never figured out how to open a refrigerator or use a can opener.

Say what you will, but if you value PFF Miller and Tannenhill have graded out high prior to this season. Tannenhill for several seasons and Miller very high last season.

Offensive line is a joke. They have two studs, Pouncey and Albert, who are always hurt. The Right Tackle, James had a pretty decent, promising rookie season even though many thought he was a reach/over drafted because they needed line help. The guards seem like turnstiles effectively.

I'm wondering with the big Suh signing why they didn't address the line more. A couple low-mid-level vet prospects would have been appropriate. Guys like Mathis and Long come to mind at least as backups, swing guys, or starters come to mind.

In Tannenhill's defense, he's not had a lot to throw to, the line has been terrible, they don't support him with a run game, and the QB is always misjudged both good and bad for the W's and L's. Truth be told, he's more or less graded out as a Top 10-12 QB since he got his feet wet.

Defensively, they have enough marque guys that you would think they could scheme well enough around their deficiencies.

He has the groceries, he's just never figured out how to open a refrigerator or use a can opener.
I kinda like the guy in interviews but just feel he's a poor coach. Seems lost.

Philbin is a bad coach, but a good man. So was sporano. We need a coach who has a clue about doing something to win a ballgame, not playing not to lose one. That always leads to this situation. It did with Wanny and all the rest of the trash we have had since shula left (and at least Shula had a resume when he decided to keep that terrible DC Ollivadotti. Philbin din't want to fire our last OC and now is standing behind Croyle).

They do not adapt, they do not invent, they do not achieve. At least Sporano brought the wildcat to the NFL to beat New England...

Philbin to be fired Monday per sources. Tight End coach to take over?! Guess this is good for Miller owners.

Sounds like they're considering firing one of the coordinators but keeping Philbin. Not sure how that's going to make a difference.

Joe Philbin - OT - Dolphins
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins are preparing to fire coach Joe Philbin on Monday.
Schefter admits owner Stephen Ross could change his mind, but as of Sunday night the decision had been made. Schefter reports Dolphins TE coach Dan Campbell is the leading candidate to replace Philbin on an interim basis if the coach is fired. DC Kevin Coyle will likely be heading out the door as well.

Well, that's Barnwell's point. Giving big bucks to Suh instead of filling the myriad of holes throughout the team. Those splashy signings as fix-alls are very familiar as the marks of a perennially bad franchise.

Edit: also, I think Philbin has done a good job bringing Tannehill along. He was no sure thing.

Users who are viewing this thread