What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Paxton Lynch Thread*** Seahawks backup QB (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
This guy jumped onto my radar after beating Ole Miss a couple weeks ago.

Size - 6-7, 245

Strong arm, accurate, can throw on the run

Completion Rate - 71.6%

YPA - 9.7

TD:INT ratio of just under 4 the past two years (39 TD/10 INT) and has 17 TD to 1 INT this year

Running - had 13 rushing TD's last year, but not primarily a running QB (656 passes to 159 rushes the past two years)

Has won 14 straight games

Last edited by a moderator:
Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch has moved into the Top 10 of Mel Kiper's Big Board.

Lynch was slotted at 17th overall on the Big Board before the Tigers victory over Ole Miss last Saturday. The 6-foot-7 junior threw for 386 yards and three touchdowns in the win, prompting this most recent bump.

"A big profile game against Ole Miss has him inching up," writes Kiper. "Lynch has good size with room to fill out, and not just a strong arm, but the ability to get the ball out quickly."

Paxton Lynch and Jarran Reed rise on the Mel Paxton Lynch of Memphis and Jarran Reed of Alabama are the big movers on the Big Board. Lynch is coming off a great performance against Ole Miss and Reed continues to dominate.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/13943259/paxton-lynch-jarran-reed-rise-mel-kiper-2016-big-board-nfl-draft
The only other quarterback ahead of Lynch is California quarterback Jared Goff, who Kiper projects to be a top 3 pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.
I think he'll be the #1 QB taken next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Memphis homer here. I've watched every snap he's played in college. As tall as he is, he has a big stride & gets several running plays called each game. He's very accurate and smart with the ball, and knows when to throw it away. At 6'7", he can survey the field well.

Memphis coach Justin Fuente recruited him & let him take his lumps as a freshman rather than play the returning senior QB. It's paid off, & though I hate to lose him to the NFL, love the fact that another Tiger is getting some first round love.

2016 NFL Mock Draft: Bears Take the First QB -- And it's Not Jared Goff

4. Chicago Bears: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

Assuming the Bears find a way out of the Jay Cutler contract, an upgrade at quarterback will be top priority in the draft for first-year general manager Ryan Pace. Lynch is still unpolished in some areas, but he has the physical traits and arm talent worth drafting early and developing.
Talk about a meteoric rise. This guy was hardly on anyone's radar at the beginning of the season, and now he's considered by some to be the top QB in this class.

Memphis homer here. I've watched every snap he's played in college. As tall as he is, he has a big stride & gets several running plays called each game. He's very accurate and smart with the ball, and knows when to throw it away. At 6'7", he can survey the field well.

Memphis coach Justin Fuente recruited him & let him take his lumps as a freshman rather than play the returning senior QB. It's paid off, & though I hate to lose him to the NFL, love the fact that another Tiger is getting some first round love.
:goodposting:

He's got a very real chance to carry an upstart Memphis squad to an undefeated season on a schedule with several Top 25 teams on it. Kid has moxie...

Assuming the Bears find a way out of the Jay Cutler contract, an upgrade at quarterback will be top priority in the draft for first-year general manager Ryan Pace. Lynch is still unpolished in some areas, but he has the physical traits and arm talent worth drafting early and developing.
Talk about a meteoric rise. This guy was hardly on anyone outside of Memphis' radar at the beginning of the season, and now he's considered by some to be the top QB in this class.
FYP. ;)

Memphis (and many opponents in the AAC) were well aware of Lynch prior to this year... though he has definitely taken that proverbial "next step" thus far this season.

One of the more intriguing things is he's doing it with a starting WR and TE corps that are almost exclusively WALK ONS.

So let's see; the teams that will/possibly get a QB and in the top 10: Chicago, Houston, Detroit(?) Washington, and San Fran.

So let's see; the teams that will/possibly get a QB and in the top 10: Chicago, Houston, Detroit(?) Washington, and San Fran.
Kansas City belongs on that list as much as Detroit and San Fran do, IMO. We're still tied to Smith until the end of next season, but after that, it becomes feasible to cut our losses and move on. This will (hopefully) be the best position we'll be in for a while to draft a franchise QB, I hope Dorsey capitalizes.

Order Team CONF DIV Wins Losses % SOS%

1 Baltimore Ravens AFC North 1 6 0.143 0.519

2 Detroit Lions NFC North 1 6 0.143 0.544

3 Tennessee Titans AFC South 1 5 0.167 0.491

4 Jacksonville Jaguars AFC South 2 5 0.286 0.457

5 Cleveland Browns AFC North 2 5 0.286 0.505

6 Houston Texans AFC South 2 5 0.286 0.510

7 Kansas City Chiefs AFC West 2 5 0.286 0.510

8 San Diego Chargers AFC West 2 5 0.286 0.515

9 San Francisco 49ers NFC West 2 5 0.286 0.547

10 Chicago Bears NFC North 2 4 0.333 0.510

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Brock Huard has been hearing Memphis redshirt junior QB Paxton Lynch compared to Colin Kaepernick.
"...and while Lynch's body type certainly resembles that of the 49ers quarterback, Lynch's throwing mechanics and natural accuracy far exceed anything Kaepernick has ever shown," Huard wrote. "Lynch is rising fast." Yes indeed. The 6-foot-7 gunslinger is now being mocked in the top-10 of drafts around the industry. We love the way he's playing but won't call him a top-10 prospect until he continues to prove he is on the field.

Source: ESPN Insider
Oct 27 - 8:46 PM

Kansas City belongs on that list as much as Detroit and San Fran do, IMO. We're still tied to Smith until the end of next season, but after that, it becomes feasible to cut our losses and move on. This will (hopefully) be the best position we'll be in for a while to draft a franchise QB, I hope Dorsey capitalizes.
Knew I forgot a team while typing that. Thanks. Looks like no one won from that kaepernick-Smith saga. Guess they will pick a QB 3rd or 4th if the picks stay like this?

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Rob Rang has Memphis redshirt junior QB Paxton Lynch landing with the Cleveland Browns at the No.3 spot in his latest mock draft.

"The Browns' annual top 10 selection is likely to continue until a franchise quarterback is found," Rang writes. The Memphis prospect has definitely sold himself to evaluators this season, as he's passed for 2,709 yards with an impressive 18/1 TD/INT ratio. On Saturday, Lynch completed 26-of-42 passes for 343 yards and a touchdown, and put up another solid performance.

Source: CBS Sports

Nov 2 - 2:25 PM

Earlier this week, former Chicago Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel reported he polled four NFL evaluators, and each had Lynch as the No. 1 QB prospect in college football. That report came just a few days after a college coach told Sports Illustrated that five NFL scouts told him Lynch is likely to be the first QB selected next year.

So, it's no surprise that NFL clubs are doing some digging on the Memphis signal-caller. His high school coach, Allen Johnson, told the Daytona Beach News-Journal that he's received calls from the Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans and Denver Broncos.

"The scouts that call me want to know about his character and what type of kid he was," Johnson said. "They're doing their due diligence."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000573423/article/paxton-lynchs-hs-coach-broncos-texans-bills-call-about-qb

"I like Paxton Lynch from Memphis. His tape against Ole Miss is intriguing. ... All indications are he probably comes out. He's got a good arm, I don't think it's elite, (and) he's athletic for 6-7. He reminds me of Joe Flacco athletically," Mayock told The Rich Eisen Show. "Good arm, good release. He has to hasten the process a little bit."
Such a lazy comparison since both guys are around 6-6. Lynch is a much better runner than Flacco.

More like Bortles to me.

"I like Paxton Lynch from Memphis. His tape against Ole Miss is intriguing. ... All indications are he probably comes out. He's got a good arm, I don't think it's elite, (and) he's athletic for 6-7. He reminds me of Joe Flacco athletically," Mayock told The Rich Eisen Show. "Good arm, good release. He has to hasten the process a little bit."
Such a lazy comparison since both guys are around 6-6. Lynch is a much better runner than Flacco.

More like Bortles to me.
Bortles didn't have his arm/delivery in college. He's got a smooth delivery, one motion. Bortles had to learn that in the NFL. He's most like Big Ben or Culpepper. Hate his offense in college. Not sure what his ability to make NFL reads or throws really is.

Rotoworld:

Paxton Lynch - QB - Tigers

Memphis junior QB Paxton Lynch now ranks as Mel Kiper's No. 2 overall prospect.

Right off the bat, Kiper cites Lynch's frame, height, mobility and strong arm. "It sounds trite, but the talent for the position is so clear, and the decision-making has been very good," Kiper writes. We believe this is Lynch's first time atop Kiper's quarterback rankings and now he sits just behind Joey Bosa on the overall board. It is no sure thing that Lynch declares for the draft, but Justin Fuente leaving for a bigger program could play a major part in the decision.

Source: ESPN Nov 20 - 10:09 AM

As a franchise needing a QB, would you go with Goff or Lynch long term?
Cook.
Who was the last successful QB with a career completion percentage of 58%? He's never even broken 59% in a year.
Is this some sort of spinoff of your how many guys threw X amount of picks last year when you tried to derail Winston?
I hate to do this in the Lynch thread, but since it's on the table...

This is a very real red flag for a college QB. The windows to throw into at the NFL level are much smaller. If a guy can't get to 60% completions in college, that's a warning sign that he may struggle very badly at the next level.

As a franchise needing a QB, would you go with Goff or Lynch long term?
Cook.
Who was the last successful QB with a career completion percentage of 58%? He's never even broken 59% in a year.
Is this some sort of spinoff of your how many guys threw X amount of picks last year when you tried to derail Winston?
I hate to do this in the Lynch thread, but since it's on the table...

This is a very real red flag for a college QB. The windows to throw into at the NFL level are much smaller. If a guy can't get to 60% completions in college, that's a warning sign that he may struggle very badly at the next level.
So why don't you look at the actual throws, offense, scheme and Windows he is asked to throw to in college rather than just some number that has very little context behind it?

With his current head coach going elsewhere, that probably means he's going pro right? Should he be considered first overall if a team like Cleveland is at 1?

With his current head coach going elsewhere, that probably means he's going pro right? Should he be considered first overall if a team like Cleveland is at 1?
It'll be between him and Goff IMO, and rest assured, Cleveland will pick the wrong one.

Rotoworld:

Memphis junior QB Paxton Lynch is a "virtual lock" to enter the 2016 NFL Draft, according to Josh Norris.

With head coach Justin Fuente moving on to Virginia Tech, Lynch declaring for the draft was an expected result. Perhaps no one helped their evaluation more than Lynch this season, as he went from overlooked to standing at the forefront of the most important position in football. Lynch will be critiqued as one of the top quarterbacks in the entire class, meaning he could be a top five selection.

Source: Josh Norris on Twitter

Dec 7 - 2:14 PM

Lynch's pass chart reads like a work of fiction:

1. Incomplete

2. 43-yard touchdown

3. Incomplete

4. 34-yard completion

5. Incomplete

6. Incomplete

7. 16-yard touchdown

8. 21-yard touchdown

9. 15-yard touchdown

10. Incomplete

11. 44-yard touchdown

12. 21-yard completion

13. 6-yard touchdown

14. 22-yard touchdown

Talk about a meteoric rise. This guy was hardly on anyone outside of Memphis' radar at the beginning of the season, and now he's considered by some to be the top QB in this class.
FYP. ;)

Memphis (and many opponents in the AAC) were well aware of Lynch prior to this year... though he has definitely taken that proverbial "next step" thus far this season.

One of the more intriguing things is he's doing it with a starting WR and TE corps that are almost exclusively WALK ONS.
:thumbup:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/walk-ons-play-critical-roles-in-tigers-success-228ffc92-a3e0-46f5-e053-0100007fb7a3-334879181.html

Cleveland needs to get this guy. Im not sure how the front office will shake out this offseason but there are just so many things to like about Lynch. Get whatever you can for Johnny and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread