What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orleans Opoku-Darkwa is an American football running back who is currently a free agent (1 Viewer)

I feel like the thread title is the answer to a Jeopardy question.

"In 2015, this RB with a funny name literally came out of nowhere and, to the surprise of many, helped owners win a fantasy football championship."

Lets be honest, any of us that are starting him are pretty much doing so out of desperation. He's much more of an interesting stash for as the season progresses or in dynasty. The little media blurb on the previous page is at least a mildly positive sign. Might be nothing, but I'll take it right now

Orleans Darkwa returning to New Orleans this weekend in the Superdome where he played college football with Tulane, where his last game with Tulane was in the Superdome at a game called the New Orleans Bowl.. and he went out with a bang scoring 3 TD's. Fire up the bandwagon, 100 yards 2 TD's this weekend!!!

Watched the TD run and it's great seeing all of the linemen run to Darkwa after he scores to pick him up. It looks like the line really likes this guy. If Darkwa can convince TC to keep feeding him then we may be a nice run down the stretch. Darkwa made some solid runs breaking tackles even when a whole lot wasn't there. He just looks like a solid RB. This far into the season I'll take a flyer on that.

I'm still missing why people think that 1 good run, and an above-average YPC on 8 carries is enough for this guy to supplant anyone in the Giant's backfield. Earn him a few more carries...maybe...but there's so many mouths to feed in NY that even a split in carries is maybe 10 tops...
I am with you here. So I will ask again. Whats the best case realistic scenario here for Sunday if he is getting 10ish carries? Its imperative he scores a TD to have any significance right? Thats just a huge gamble.

That said looks like I will have to start him and pray

I'm still missing why people think that 1 good run, and an above-average YPC on 8 carries is enough for this guy to supplant anyone in the Giant's backfield. Earn him a few more carries...maybe...but there's so many mouths to feed in NY that even a split in carries is maybe 10 tops...
I am with you here. So I will ask again. Whats the best case realistic scenario here for Sunday if he is getting 10ish carries? Its imperative he scores a TD to have any significance right? Thats just a huge gamble.

Everyone's situation is different. There's certainly a good deal of praying that's going on in this thread relating to Week 8. However, if you are in FAAB leagues, the ideal is to grab the emerging players before they emerge.

A couple of cases in point include Dion Lewis. If you grabbed him prior to the season after your draft, he cost nothing. If you waited until Week 2, he was much more expensive. A more recent example is Stephon Diggs. 2 weeks ago, you could grab him for free. His last two games put him into 'blow your FAAB budget on him' category.

Not all the low cost bets you place work out. But the Giants backfield has been largely unimpressive for a good while now...dating back years, not weeks. And when someone like Darkwa flashes some ability (which he did), it's fair to ask if more opportunity is about to come his way. And with Jennings/Williams combining for 16 snaps in Week 7 while Darkwa logged 14...it's possible the opportunity is imminent. It could completely fizzle too.

Orleans Darkwa returning to New Orleans this weekend in the Superdome where he played college football with Tulane, where his last game with Tulane was in the Superdome at a game called the New Orleans Bowl.. and he went out with a bang scoring 3 TD's. Fire up the bandwagon, 100 yards 2 TD's this weekend!!!
...because he put up 83 yards and 3 TD's against UL Lafayette. The Saints defense is bad...but not UL Lafayette bad.

I'll give you my projection for this week...I think he gets <10 carries, and if he tops 40 yards, I'll be surprised. I may be putting my foot in my mouth, but I just don't see the relevance in that back field, or fantasy wise. At least not yet.

...because he put up 83 yards and 3 TD's against UL Lafayette. The Saints defense is bad...but not UL Lafayette bad.

I'll give you my projection for this week...I think he gets <10 carries, and if he tops 40 yards, I'll be surprised. I may be putting my foot in my mouth, but I just don't see the relevance in that back field, or fantasy wise. At least not yet.
And by the time he is, he'll cost you (if you're able to get him). With guys like Foster and Charles going down, and guys like Randle, Morris, Anderson, and Hill sucking, landing a good back is paramount for some. And getting the jump on everyone else is what separates the consistent winners with the consistent losers.

Did you watch the game by chance? There is definitely something there.. his team responded to him.

I'm in, snagged him. For my foster slot.

I really like what Coughlin was saying, I think there's a chance there's gonna be something here

This feels like something.....

For those starting him this week, who are you starting him over?

I'm not starting him. I'm starting Duke over him.

Starting him over K Robinson, Ellington, Chris Polk and D Wiliams

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you start him over Gore? Gore going up against Carolina.....this guy at least has a chance to get 10 plus carries and hit a long one and get a TD. Any help here would be very appreciative

Would you start him over Gore? Gore going up against Carolina.....this guy at least has a chance to get 10 plus carries and hit a long one and get a TD. Any help here would be very appreciative
I would not start him over Gore.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/10/is_giants_running_back_orleans_darkwa_named_after.html#incart_river

Is Giants running back Orleans Darkwa named after the city of New Orleans?

EAST RUTHERFORD - You know you have thought about it, too.

With the Giants preparing to take on the New Orleans Saints this Sunday, and running back Orleans Darkwa in the news after his big day in the Giants' win over the Cowboys, a burning question on the minds of many is: Does Darkwa's first name have any connection to the city?

And the answer is ...

"No, I'm a junior. My dad is Orleans Sr.," Darkwa said. "It's actually a pretty common (name) in Ghana (Darkwa's nation of heritage; he was born in Nashville, Tenn.)."

Darkwa is used to the question, though. He played his college ball at Tulane University in New Orleans, and some home games at the Superdome, the site of Sunday's game. Darkwa said he got asked about his name a great deal while in school.

"Everybody asked me that when I went to New Orleans," he recalled. "They really didn't believe that was my name until I pulled out my ID. But that's my real name."

It's going to be pouring rain in Carolina on Sunday,with WIND. They will be feeding GORE the ball ! Good for 20 touches. I own Darkwa in several leagues where I'm hurting at RB,I HOPE,he takes over the starting rb job for good and is a decent pass catcher. I'm hoping for that 2nd half gem too. You just never know.

It's going to be pouring rain in Carolina on Sunday,with WIND. They will be feeding GORE the ball ! Good for 20 touches. I own Darkwa in several leagues where I'm hurting at RB,I HOPE,he takes over the starting rb job for good and is a decent pass catcher. I'm hoping for that 2nd half gem too. You just never know.
What's the forecast for Monday night?

Would you drop Jennings for this guy? Jennings has no use to me now, but I could see him having more value if Vereen goes down, which he usually does.

All aboard the Darkwa train!

Picked him up and dropped David Cobb. Both have an opportunity in a RBBC to be the lead back. Darkwa is in a much better offense though. I'll see what happens this week and can always pick up Cobb if Darkwa turns out to be a one week wonder.

Starting him in the 3rd flex spot over Britt, Bradshaw, & gasp...CMIKE! 14 team league 11 starters, so a guy like Darkwa is valuable.

I don't think there's any chance he ever makes my starting lineup but I picked him up and put him on end of bench anyway. Dropped Montgomery

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread