What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Raheem Mostert, MIA (3 Viewers)

I hate it for the guy.  

He had a solid season, a good playoff run.  But does that get you a new deal?  Especially after you just re-upped?

I don't blame him for wanting to cash in, but I understand SF thinking they can get similar production out of Coleman.  There's not a huge market for RB's at this point.  Who is going to trade for him/pay him?

I don't think it would hurt SF to increase his pay a bit over the next 2 years.  But I also appreciate smart roster building.  

All said and done, I think he has zero leverage and will cave on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer. I *just* bumped him up my redraft list, too and took him in an FPC draft recently. If they actually play football I have to believe he stays a Niner and plays just as well as he did last year, so maybe it's good news for his price. But yikes.

I was able to move him in two dynasties but felt a little regret over it. I think he might be a classic case of nobody really thinks he is a long term asset (and probably rightfully so) so you can't get a good enough deal for him, but he is somewhere between plausible and likely to win leagues for people *this* year. Like Mark Ingram last year. But without trade/contract issues. Now I don't know. 

What's weird about Mostert is that Shanahan has said that he nearly had to pry him off of special teams to be the feature back. Maybe he's just an introspective, interesting guy like Arian Foster was. Perhaps he also sees more money playing special teams until he's thirty-five rather than being a starting running back for two years.

I dunno. The whole situation is odd. There's no lead back or big dog assured totes. He signed a contract before last year to extend him, well over what a special teamer makes. I think it's just the logistics of football biting a running back in the butt again.  
I think so. I get his thought process but he’s also a 28 year old RB with less than 200 career touches and is on his 5th team.  He’s lucky to have even got this last contract and a shot at being a starting RB. The supply and demand sucks right now for RBs but until there is something different negotiated in the league-union contract,  the players at that position will continue to be low men on the poll. 

Give your starting RB $2MM and move on if that is all he is asking for. What a weird stand for SF to take here.

I think so. I get his thought process but he’s also a 28 year old RB with less than 200 career touches and is on his 5th team.  He’s lucky to have even got this last contract and a shot at being a starting RB. The supply and demand sucks right now for RBs but until there is something different negotiated in the league-union contract,  the players at that position will continue to be low men on the poll.
I think that's what SF is thinking. 

If you do a certain job, you get paid for doing that job (especially with non-guaranteed contracts and the RB shelf life). If the Niners feel as a special teamer and lead back he's not worth an extra 2 mil/they can make anyone a good back in that system, then simply trade him.

Personally, I saw a guy who ran hard and tough with good speed and there are teams he can certainly be a plus committee back, if not handle a starter's workshare. He played his best down the stretch and was the key running component in the Niners rushing attack.

If you do a certain job, you get paid for doing that job (especially with non-guaranteed contracts and the RB shelf life). If the Niners feel as a special teamer and lead back he's not worth an extra 2 mil/they can make anyone a good back in that system, then simply trade him.
Yeah, most people in here agree but San Francisco holds all the leverage. Mostert signed a deal that provided him with an extension through 2021. He was signed to be a backup running back who then went out and won the job.

His talent really isn't in question among most here. In fact, I've gone out of my way to praise him and acquire him so that I might get two years with him. That said, this contract dispute is pretty much a loser for him. He's old, extended through 2021, and sort of left with nothing but vapors as his only clout, vapors that will cost him plenty of money for not reporting under the new CBA.

COVID and the CBA make this even more confusing, though. Who knows about opt-outs?

COVID and the CBA make this even more confusing, though. Who knows about opt-outs?
I've just been assuming owners would pucker up tighter than the warden in Shawshank and that almost all impending deals would be spoiled a little. Is Kittle still going to set the TE market? Mahomes blew it out of the water obviously. 

How Chiefs can maximize Patrick Mahomes era; top five NFL players

Excerpt:

RAHEEM MOSTERT: 49ers shouldn't pay up for RB

I'm not mad at San Francisco 49ers running back Raheem Mostert for requesting a trade this week after the team didn't oblige when he asked for a raise, but I understand why his request for higher compensation is falling on deaf ears. Despite his success as the team's leading rusher (722 rushing yards) in 2019 and his impressive play in the postseason, including a record-breaking performance in the NFC Championship Game, I believe the sixth-year veteran is the product of a Kyle Shanahan system that can make many runners look like All-Pros.

I respect Mostert's talents as a tough, hard-nosed, downhill runner, but I have to point out that we've seen a number of pedestrian runners (SEE: Alfred Morris and Steve Slaton) also produce at an exceptional level as RB1s in this scheme, which is designed to help straight-line runners with no-nonsense running styles succeed.

When I discussed the Shanahan offense with my NFL Network colleague and Pro Football of Fame running back Terrell Davis on an episode of the Move The Sticks podcast last summer, he mentioned that the system is designed to get you three or four yards per run. However, Davis -- who became a three-time All-Pro playing for Kyle's dad, Mike, in Denver -- pointed out that the special backs are able to turn those short runs into big gains in the open field.

Studying Mostert's game, I don't see a special runner with A+ skills. Although he averaged 5.6 yards per carry for the 49ers in 2019 (ranking second in the league to Lamar Jackson's 6.9), he certainly benefits from the synchronization of the offensive line and tight ends in a scheme that places a premium on covering up defenders at the point of attack. The zone-based scheme is designed to get a "hat on a hat" at the line of scrimmage with blockers instructed to take defenders where they want to go to create creases for the runners. If the running back stays on his assigned tracks without dancing or making unnecessary cuts, he is virtually guaranteed to pick up positive yards with a disciplined approach.

Mostert adheres to the principles as a straight-line runner with an attack-the-line-of-scrimmage approach. He has a knack for finding gaps and creases on off-tackle runs and his decisiveness leads to big plays when the front line takes care of business.

That said, Mostert has never effectively carried the load as a clear-cut RB1 over a full season. He has one career 100-yard regular-season game on his resume while suiting up for five different teams. Sure, he had an outstanding performance in the playoffs against the Green Bay Packers, but teams should not pay a premium for a potential one-game wonder, particularly one who's 28 years old and entering the second year of a three-year, $8.7 million extension he signed in 2019.

Mostert might believe he deserves a raise based on his expected ascension up the depth chart heading into the 2020 season, but the 49ers should hold firm and make the running back prove his value before adding some money to his deal or trading him away, barring an offer they can't refuse from another team.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports 49ers RB Raheem Mostert spoke to a high-ranking member of the 49ers' organization to "clear the air" and "get on the same page moving forward."

Mostert, set to make $3 million this upcoming year, recently requested a trade from the organization if they weren't willing to bump his pay to match Tevin Coleman's $4.5 million salary. Reaching out to someone at the top could simply mean neither of Mostert's trade or contract demands were ever on the verge of being met.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1285268151962402818

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11827/raheem-mostert

He probably isn't going anywhere, so at the end of the day he will be their guy in 2020.  Those of you who sold him cheap, shame on you.  Those of you who bought cheap, way to go.   I probably should have tried to get him cheap.

Glad to see him work it out, hope this means people will go back to drafting him several rounds higher then he should be going.

I had a deal in place to move him for a good value and then the initial story came out and the other guy texted me the headline and backed out.  I said this is normal off season chatter and been crickets ever since.  hahaha

Glad to see him work it out, hope this means people will go back to drafting him several rounds higher then he should be going.
Yes, because there are tons of other running backs in the RB25 area that can give you that kind of upside.

Spoken in jest but still true.
Spoken in jest, for sure. Not so sure about the true part. When is he going off the board now? Gotta be mid-twenties for RBs. That's way too long to wait on him unless you're waiting longer and drafting Coleman, which might be the sharp play. 

Questions remain about Jimmy Garoppolo, but deep 49ers motivated coming off Super Bowl loss

Excerpt:

A Kyle Shanahan backfield is great in reality but trickier in fantasy. Who are you putting your chips on this season, especially with Raheem Mostert requesting a trade?

Scott: I expect the Mostert situation to be smoothed over, but it’s hard to aggressively invest in someone with his track record (as much as I like the story); this could be another Justin Forsett pitfall. Tevin Coleman is the value pick, but he might not have the body type to handle a heavy workload. And maybe Shanahan doesn’t want anyone in this backfield touching the ball 18-20 times a game. It’s a fantasy paradox: we know Shanahan will build a strong running game, but the production might be so splintered and spread out, fantasy players can’t consistently benefit from it.

Matt: Personally, I haven’t been drawn to any of these players at their ADP. If Raheem Mostert has more of a receiving resume, he’d be a safer pick at his current draft slot. Tevin Coleman is appealing as a later flier who enjoyed some successful moments in his first season with the team. But he’s not a priority target for me. Jerick McKinnon is still lurking. The sharp move for this backfield is exactly how we all played it after Week 1 last year: Be aggressive in adding the latest hot hand on the waiver wire and never got too committed.

Dalton: Mostert just led the NFL in rushing DVOA by a wide margin and produced 792 yards from scrimmage with 12 touchdowns over the final eight games. I liked him as a fourth-round target, especially with a bigger upcoming workload (Matt Breida and his 142 touches left, while Tevin Coleman finished 43rd out of 45 qualified RBs in rushing DVOA and is one of Injury Predictor’s most likely RBs to go down in 2020) and with the team also adding LT Trent Williams. All bets are off if Mostert gets traded, of course, and it’s not like he didn’t already come without risk (28 years old and zero career NFL starts), but given how little leverage he has, I still expect Mostert to return and be the lead back in a Shanahan offense at a discounted ADP.

RBs are a fleeting commodity in both the NFL and fantasy, but I think it's premature to think anyone other than Mostert is the 49'ers RB to own in 2020.
Until you realize that Coleman was getting a possibly important first series or starting nod in the Minnesota and Green Bay game until Coleman got hurt. Then it becomes trickier. I watched when NFL had free Game Pass and it seemed an awful lot like they were going to go with Mostert and Coleman pretty evenly. 

rockaction said:
Until you realize that Coleman was getting a possibly important first series or starting nod in the Minnesota and Green Bay game until Coleman got hurt. Then it becomes trickier. I watched when NFL had free Game Pass and it seemed an awful lot like they were going to go with Mostert and Coleman pretty evenly. 
After what Mostert did in the playoffs.  I believe there is a great chance he gets more carries than Coleman.

After what Mostert did in the playoffs.  I believe there is a great chance he gets more carries than Coleman.
Oh yeah. I don't disagree with you one bit. They've pretty much let it be known who 1a and 1b are and have done nothing to dispel that notion. But I think even one slight misstep and you're looking at a huge Coleman presence looming. Provided they don't cut Coleman and his 4.5 million. 

One of the very top rushing offenses in the league with an elite defense? Yeah sign me up for the 1A in the 5th round. Easy. The TD upside is pretty big IMO. I don't hate the 1B option either. I usually don't have the discipline to get both.

49ers restructured RB Raheem Mostert's contract.

Mostert reportedly received a $250,000 signing bonus and “plenty of extra incentives", guaranteeing his presence at Niners camp on Tuesday. Previously set to make $3 million this upcoming season, his upgraded bonuses allow him to earn over $5 million in 2020 — an increase similar to Tevin Coleman's ($4.5 million) contract. Fantasy players should expect the former's ADP to hike from the sixth round and back into the 4th/5th as a fringe RB2 ahead of the regular season. Coleman remains an intriguing pivot assured a handful of starts as the overall RB38, currently nine spots behind Mostert (RB29).

https://twitter.com/TesslerSports/status/1287808385581297668
Good job by the Niners bringing up the incentives so his contract is more in line with McKinnion and Coleman.

In a normal year he' be a trade target of mine for contending teams, but im not into acquiring 28 year old RBs ahead of a season that has very little chance of happening.  Fade.

Good luck earning those incentives, Raheem.

Such a relief for Mostert owners.
There was not much doubt in my mind that this was going to be the likely outcome. PSA the new collective bargaining agreement leaves players zero leverage for holding out. At 28 yo Mostert could ill afford to hold out. 

He said he knew this would be the outcome as Mostert had no leverage to get more money.  Except that he did, and he got paid like he wanted.
Well, the money is in incentives, really, with a touch of a bonus. So I'd quibble with the tense of the words "got paid." He ain't been paid nothing yet. But let's not let that get in the way of the situation now. Mostert comes back a bit happier with something to prove and incentive to prove it. Good situation if you roster him.  

Well, the money is in incentives, really, with a touch of a bonus. So I'd quibble with the tense of the words "got paid." He ain't been paid nothing yet. But let's not let that get in the way of the situation now. Mostert comes back a bit happier with something to prove and incentive to prove it. Good situation if you roster him.  
He got a boost in pay which is what he wanted.  Most people didn't think SF would cave and do so.  But they did. 

In a normal year he' be a trade target of mine for contending teams, but im not into acquiring 28 year old RBs ahead of a season that has very little chance of happening.  Fade.

Good luck earning those incentives, Raheem.
He is not the typical 28 yr old RB because he doesn't have the wear and tear of a typical 28 yr old RB.  I don't think his age is much of a concern.  I would be more concerned with the usage that Shannahan typically installs with his RB's.  There can be games where he gets very little touches and hurts your team.  That is the bigger problem

The Athletic's Matt Barrows "wouldn't assume" Raheem Mostert will be the 49ers' official starting running back. 

Barrows believes coach Kyle Shanahan might lean toward starting Tevin Coleman because he’s "a little bigger and more physical runner than the others." Perhaps Coleman will begin the year as the official "starter," but there is still more reason than not to believe Mostert will be the touch leader. 28-year-old injury concern Jerick McKinnon remains the wild card of the Niners' ever-evolving backfield. The RB26 by FFPC ADP, Mostert's draft cost is reasonable relative to his upside. No one seems in the dark about his obvious downside. 

RELATED: 

Tevin Coleman

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 11, 2020, 8:52 PM ET

@Faust - how many years have you been doing this?

Regardless, much appreciated every year GB.
@Dinsy Ejotuz - I joined the FBG Message Boards on April 15, 2003; however, I’d say that it was around 2010 when I started to become much more active with my efforts at curating content in the player threads as my way of helping to make the Shark Pool the top destination for fantasy football information.

@Dinsy Ejotuz - I joined the FBG Message Boards on April 15, 2003; however, I’d say that it was around 2010 when I started to become much more active with my efforts at curating content in the player threads as my way of helping to make the Shark Pool the top destination for fantasy football information.
Well, many thanks.  10 years is a long time and you add a lot of value to the joint.

What is his value in PPR? Late first rookie pick? Put him on my trade block and was offered rookie pick 17 but feel like it isn’t enough.

RB Raheem Mostert has continued to start in 49ers' camp practices. 

Beat writers reported in mid-August that Mostert was atop the team's running back rotation during camp. He started for the first-team offense in Friday's practice and "dominated a successful opening drive," the Athletic reports. It's clear that Mostert -- being drafted as the 26th running back off the draft board -- has dibs on the Niners' early-down role. He likely won't see many chances as a pass catcher. In Kyle Shanahan's run-heavy offense, Mostert could prove valuable to fantasy managers who draft him in the fifth round. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 29, 2020, 6:33 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread