What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Making A Murderer (Netflix) (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

The Flying Elvis

Footballguy
Just wanted to set a place for discussion for people who are watching it. I've binge watched it and it was fantastic. Similar to the Netflix version of Serial.

It involves the possible crimes of Steve Avery and wrongful convictions etc, without saying too much to spoil it.

Absolutely fascinating.

I'm not sure what to think about the conviction of Steve Avery for the Teresa murder. It's tough to believe that there was a widespread conspiracy by the police but I'm not above thinking that some shenanigans went on in that case. Something along the lines that it is possible he did it and likely but the investigation was terribly flawed.

Now the Brendan Dassey conviction seems ridiculous to me. The "confession" is bananas that it was allowed in as evidence as it seemed to be coached and lead on by the police especially as a minor without a parent present. It is also obvious the kid is incredibly slow and was willing to follow the policed lead. I also don't believe in the confession as how things happened.

Did Steve Avery kill Teresa? Maybe, 75% likely? Did Brendan Dassey participate? I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this case from Dateline or something similar. The fact that the car was on the property and there was a burnt hole with bones in it is a real problem.

2.5 episodes in.

It's hard to think he didn't... but then you see footage from Long Beach where the cops did what they do not realizing they were on a cellphone cam from a neighbor. In the inner city they can put a vial of crack in your pocket and put you away for decades if not longer (3 strikes) ... and the weird masonic-like fraternity that police are in the first place, the narrative that it was a set up by a pride-sore department wanting revenge and not to pay millions that they couldn't if they wanted to is not totally implausible.

.... haha, and now we have a family member coming out with their involvement? Plot thickens... again you think he's 100% guilty, but I'm suspecting they find a way to discredit him somehow with 7 more episodes to go.

Edit: wow... end of ep 3. The family member coming out was totally coerced by the detectives. Incredible. I mean, the guy is probably a monster and did it... but this kid is probably half "r-word" and they basically had to put the words in his mouth what happened. So fked up

OMG

The coercion shown in episode 4 is incredible. Makes me want to smash my TV. Oh..... and now they're having him in again to clean up his statement for him to say the rest of what they want him to say. Fk man. Poor kid. Damn detectives are like that guy that rapes a chick softly after she says no 1,000 times and then says yes once.... and it's on tape... and judges allow it as admissible after being asked to review it.

I want to think the guy killed the girl but the way the cops are handling this witness looks like they have nothing except what they can manufacture. Sickening.

Yah I am inclined to believe that the uncle probably murdered the woman for whatever reason just because even though the police are incompetent and corrupt, that is quite the frame job if it happened.

I don't think the kid was involved. It is what seems to be incredibly slow teenager because coached into a confession. Also the kid's lawyer Len Kachinsky is ridiculous. Obviously just wanted to preen for the press and publicity with no regard for representing his client.

Yah I am inclined to believe that the uncle probably murdered the woman for whatever reason just because even though the police are incompetent and corrupt, that is quite the frame job if it happened.

I don't think the kid was involved. It is what seems to be incredibly slow teenager because coached into a confession. Also the kid's lawyer Len Kachinsky is ridiculous. Obviously just wanted to preen for the press and publicity with no regard for representing his client.
Did you watch the entire series? I watched it yesterday. No joke - Len Kachinsky should be disbarred.

Did you watch the entire series? I watched it yesterday. No joke - Len Kachinsky should be disbarred.
Yah I finished it. Leaves you not really knowing what to think.

Like you, I don't think the kid had anything to do with it. I mean - he's just completely mentally incompetent. That kid got railroaded.

As for Steve, I lean towards him not doing it either. I don't believe either the key or the bullet are reliable evidence at all. And as for the car? I mean - that was mighty convenient to find it that quickly.

Like you, I don't think the kid had anything to do with it. I mean - he's just completely mentally incompetent. That kid got railroaded.

As for Steve, I lean towards him not doing it either. I don't believe either the key or the bullet are reliable evidence at all. And as for the car? I mean - that was mighty convenient to find it that quickly.
Yah, I lean towards the idea that he probably did it but also some evidence may have been conveniently planted. Just that the idea of someone else burning a body and putting it on his property combined with the fact the he was the last known person she was with is tough to reconcile. Maybe he was completely framed but my thoughts are maybe he tried to hit on the young woman, she refused, he gets a bit rough, maybe rapes her, panics, kills her. I don't buy the torture scenario though.

I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to read this if it got going. Cant wait to check in at the end though. Great, yet horrifying ride so far.

the tamped with blood sample from evidence when the crime scene doesn't fit their grizzly narrative, but there are squirts here and there of his blood. Jawdropping. This is literally horrifying.

Nephew 100% innocent. Avery 75% Innocent. The guy is looking at a 7 figure payday and wife... if he had a lust to kill after 43 years on this earth he would have at least waited until he got paid. Also, he would not have burned the body in his front yard, imo. Last, he would have crushed the car, imo.
The garage, I believe, had no evidence except the single bullet. No blood or DNA.
The trailer, I believe, had no DNA. Just the keys as evidence. Photographer's dna was not even on the key fab.
Manitowoc should have stayed out of it but just couldn't. They clearly planted the keys and bullet after finding the photographer dead. They didn't go after the real rapist and had no problem not going after the real murderer. Who took the blood out of the vile? I believe it was Manitowoc. If Avery DID do it, Manitowoc would have stayed clear of the scene as to not contaminate the case.

Mrs Limp walked in the room while I was watching episode 2....

'Who's that on the TV? She looks like me with dark hair'

Mrs Limp has a striking resemblance to Teresa Halbach

JFC, so depressing :(

Wish I had never watched that.

Amazing that he can stab and shoot someone and get rid of 100% of the blood evidence on the scene but can't get rid of a car despite having a car smasher.

Seems so blatantly obvious they had nothing on Avery (and the timing and convenience of the discovery of key evidence... including a suspicious state of the evidence, makes it look like a police frame job). I'm guessing they got to one or two of those jurors and told them to make sure they convince the others on that first count.

7 of the 12 think he's not guilty on the first poll and somehow 20+ hrs examining that evidence (or lack of) convinces them otherwise? How?

Seeing the fat DA go down for his sex scandal was nice though. Really wanted to punch him in the GD face and I thought for sure if he was in a sex scandal it would've involved the same sex.

JFC, so depressing :(

Wish I had never watched that.

Amazing that he can stab and shoot someone and get rid of 100% of the blood evidence on the scene but can't get rid of a car despite having a car smasher.

Seems so blatantly obvious they had nothing on Avery (and the timing and convenience of the discovery of key evidence... including a suspicious state of the evidence, makes it look like a police frame job). I'm guessing they got to one or two of those jurors and told them to make sure they convince the others on that first count.

7 of the 12 think he's not guilty on the first poll and somehow 20+ hrs examining that evidence (or lack of) convinces them otherwise? How?

Seeing the fat DA go down for his sex scandal was nice though. Really wanted to punch him in the GD face and I thought for sure if he was in a sex scandal it would've involved the same sex.
Come on - most gays have taste.

I've been thinking about Brendan's trial. Was there any evidence on him besides that "confession"? Because I'm not sure how anyone could watch that confession video and believe it.

ETA: And his "confession" to his alleged lawyer's investigator. Still can't believe that lawyer and investigator got away with that. Disgraceful.

whoknew said:
I've been thinking about Brendan's trial. Was there any evidence on him besides that "confession"? Because I'm not sure how anyone could watch that confession video and believe it.

ETA: And his "confession" to his alleged lawyer's investigator. Still can't believe that lawyer and investigator got away with that. Disgraceful.
Nothing physical. 0 DNA. They had a cousin that said Brandon told him he saw body parts in the fire... but on the stand she changed her story and it was pretty clear to me the detectives pulled the same crap with her as they did with Brendan, coercing what they wanted to hear out of her.

The 2 Judges (Fox and someone) seem to me like they're on the take or just in with the same Old Boy network that doesn't want to make this family rich and have to deal with their scummy asses in their nice little town.

I hope someday that justice is served.

This show is phenomenal. I think we are 7 episodes in. The public defender that was defending the kid needs to be disbarred if he hasnt been already. Ignoring his version of events and locking him in a room to force a confession out of him? That kid is facing life in prison and all he is concerned about is if Wrestlemania is being recorded. Pretty clear indication that he has some mental deficiencies.

Just finishing up watching. This trial with the kid is horrible. Not a smart kid at all. Unbelievable all around story. I thought the defense lawyers for Steven did a great job.

I am amazed at how many people had never heard of this trial and the Steve Avery story. Granted, I am in Wisconsin, but I thought it was national news.

I was convinced of Steve's guilt until watching this series. Now I am left wondering how the hell did the jury convict him? Like others, I think that he probably did it, but there is certainly enough reasonable doubt to think otherwise.

I am amazed at how many people had never heard of this trial and the Steve Avery story. Granted, I am in Wisconsin, but I thought it was national news.

I was convinced of Steve's guilt until watching this series. Now I am left wondering how the hell did the jury convict him? Like others, I think that he probably did it, but there is certainly enough reasonable doubt to think otherwise.
Did you hear the phone conversations he had with his incarcerated GF that happened in the window he would have killed her? Sounds like his feet are up and he's having a beer watching TV... not running around cleaning up liters of blood. The cops ended up running her out of town.

huskers15 said:
Just finishing up watching. This trial with the kid is horrible. Not a smart kid at all. Unbelievable all around story. I thought the defense lawyers for Steven did a great job.
Agreed. Was really scared for the Colbert looking lawyer for awhile. With the way things went down in this case I seriously expected him to turn up dead in a car accident or something. Though I'm guessing the state and it's cronies knew it doesn't matter what kind of case the defense argues (and 7 of the 12 jurors were leaning NOT guilty at the pre-deliberation poll) because they got to, or planted, a juror or two of their own.

I am 99% confident that Steven Avery did not do it, and 1000% confident Dassey knew nothing. The whole investigation was extremely flawed and it was clear from the start of the trial that the sheriffs did not even question anyone else as a suspect. The other county did not find any of the key evidence; it was all discovered by the Manitowoc people. How they can claim such a vicious murder and find no blood or DNA evidence at the scene of the crime is insane.

Avery's attorneys seemed extremely competent and I thought they pretty much dismantled everything that the prosecution presented. How does the victim's key only have Avery's DNA on it and not her own? Not to mention it randomly appears days into the search that should not have lasted that long to begin with. The car has little smears of Avery's blood, but no fingerprints? The vial of blood was clearly tampered with, and the defense pointed out that the FBI's test could only show they did not detect the chemical in the blood, but not that it wasn't there. Would be fascinating to have an independent lab test the blood from the car for that chemical. It seemed to me like the judge did everything he could to tie the defense's hands behind their backs throughout the trial. It felt as though the defense had to prove he was innocent and figure out who did kill her. Guilty until proven innocent.

Avery's attorneys seemed extremely competent and I thought they pretty much dismantled everything that the prosecution presented. How does the victim's key only have Avery's DNA on it and not her own? Not to mention it randomly appears days into the search that should not have lasted that long to begin with. The car has little smears of Avery's blood, but no fingerprints? The vial of blood was clearly tampered with, and the defense pointed out that the FBI's test could only show they did not detect the chemical in the blood, but not that it wasn't there. Would be fascinating to have an independent lab test the blood from the car for that chemical. It seemed to me like the judge did everything he could to tie the defense's hands behind their backs throughout the trial. It felt as though the defense had to prove he was innocent and figure out who did kill her. Guilty until proven innocent.
He could have wiped off the key to try to clean her DNA off but accidentally left his or it got on from his room somewhere. It's super suspicious but far from a smoking gun on the frame.

The bolded part is about their only option to exonerate him, but the technology isn't there yet.... even during the trial, they didn't think that blood would be able to be tested because they didn't have the correct methods, but the FBI showed up out of nowhere with a method to potentially do it. That whole part is pretty suspect though as the FBI officer on the stand didn't seem like he cared about accuracy too much and would've pretty much said anything to back the prosecution. He was one arrogant POS.

But yea, if a test can be developed that shows that the blood samples in that car have the anticoagulant or w/e that the labs put in the "purple caps" , Avery could be exonerated again.

Interesting comment from the change.org petition: https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-united-states-free-steven-avery/c

which I urge you all to sign

"

I was juror #11 and was excused for a family emergency after the trial I asked another juror why they convicted steven . His comment was think of all the things he did when he was younger. I looked at all evidence and watched making a murderer. I have from the end of the trial and still believe that they are both innocent.

Richard Mahler, Cleveland, WI
2 days ago"

That guy was in the film a few times and you could tell we was pretty struck by the case. Really sucks whatever happened in his family. He seems like he might be one of the type to dig his heels in and cause a mistrial instead of going along to get along with the rest of the herd.

Petition for the kid as well: https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-united-states-free-brendan-dassey-463c253d-5a64-48f5-b5ac-76b4e2a40ac4

not getting nearly as much attention, but if you free Avery, you obviously have to free him as well.

If you are seriously going to sign the petitions based on this series you should reconsider. Keep in mind this is a TV show, it's not a documentary! Lots of the evidence is left out and it is seriously slanted towards the defense.

If you are seriously going to sign the petitions based on this series you should reconsider. Keep in mind this is a TV show, it's not a documentary! Lots of the evidence is left out and it is seriously slanted towards the defense.
True, but it doesn't change the flaws in the prosecutions case. It just means that both sides were not presented fully.

I also wonder if the documentary is leaving a lot out. Because I just can't imagine they could be found guilty otherwise.

However, assuming this part is true, I can't fathom how there's no blood or other DNA in the trailer. He/they supposedly stabbed a woman in the stomach while chained to a bed, then cut her throat, yet there's nothing. How could these dopes have gotten rid of 100% of the blood/DNA? In the carpet, walls, ceiling, bed, etc.? No way.

And if they supposedly cleaned it all up, where's the evidence of cleaning materials like bleach, carpet cleaner, etc.? Wouldn't that be there then too? And does Steve have any alibi for the days between her disappearance and when investigators took over his property? That's the only time he could've done this extensive cleaning, which I still don't think is possible.

I also wonder if the documentary is leaving a lot out. Because I just can't imagine they could be found guilty otherwise.

However, assuming this part is true, I can't fathom how there's no blood or other DNA in the trailer. He/they supposedly stabbed a woman in the stomach while chained to a bed, then cut her throat, yet there's nothing. How could these dopes have gotten rid of 100% of the blood/DNA? In the carpet, walls, ceiling, bed, etc.? No way.

And if they supposedly cleaned it all up, where's the evidence of cleaning materials like bleach, carpet cleaner, etc.? Wouldn't that be there then too? And does Steve have any alibi for the days between her disappearance and when investigators took over his property? That's the only time he could've done this extensive cleaning, which I still don't think is possible.
Prosecution closing argument sidestepped this when they said they didn't kill her in the house, they shot her in the garage.

Prosecution closing argument sidestepped this when they said they didn't kill her in the house, they shot her in the garage.
Yeah, but they said they stabbed her and cut her throat in the bedroom before shooting her in the garage (where they also found no blood or dna).

What evidence was left out? Anything concerning Dassey? Whatever you think of Avery's potential guilt, the Dassey side of it seems like a total travesty.

This was fascinating except the last episode was a bit boring. The show leaves reasonable doubt but there might be more to this case than what we're shown.

If Avery was framed it would be one heck of a frame job. My hope is that even though the Sheriff's department seemed incompetent that they wouldn't let this lady's killer roam free just so they could put Avery in prison for life.

Yeah, but they said they stabbed her and cut her throat in the bedroom before shooting her in the garage (where they also found no blood or dna).
They said that originally in the press conference after Brendan "confessed" but did they actually put that to the jury? I thought they just said they killed her in the garage.

They said that originally in the press conference after Brendan "confessed" but did they actually put that to the jury? I thought they just said they killed her in the garage.
They did for sure at least at Dassey's trial (they played whole "confession" where he gave that story), and I thought they did at Avery's too. Not sure, I guess.

My hope is that even though the Sheriff's department seemed incompetent that they wouldn't let this lady's killer roam free just so they could put Avery in prison for life.
They let the rapist from the original crime continue his rape spree just so they could put Avery in prison

Care to enlighten us? I keep hearing this wherever I read about this, but nobody presents what was left out.

In the comments of just about every article online there are people saying they live in the area and this does not present all the evidence as they saw when the trial was underway. The media loves sensational headlines, and the prosecution seemed to love feeding them. The whole point of the coerced Dassey confession was to make the media paint Avery as a total monster and create an image in the populations mind that cannot be unseen.

No, it's a documentary. WTF are you talking about? A documentary can be biased (everyone I've seen is). The prosecution was invited to take part in the film. I wonder why they weren't apt to. Would love to see any evidence you think the film makers omitted.

Hmmmm, you might be on to something there.

I'm very familiar with this case. Followed the case closely. Grew up in the same town Teresa grew up. Graduated with her aunt. (Admittedly I may be a little biased) I also know the reputation that the Avery's had in their small community. Haven't watched the show and have no desire to so I'm not sure what was covered or not. Also don't want to provide any spoilers for anybody. But from what I have read about the show and it's presentation there is a lot left out and a lot of the story isn't told in the order that it happened.

I'm very familiar with this case. Followed the case closely. Grew up in the same town Teresa grew up. Graduated with her aunt. (Admittedly I may be a little biased) I also know the reputation that the Avery's had in their small community. Haven't watched the show and have no desire to so I'm not sure what was covered or not. Also don't want to provide any spoilers for anybody. But from what I have read about the show and it's presentation there is a lot left out and a lot of the story isn't told in the order that it happened.
What? What is left out?If anyone can answer this or point to a writeup on that issue, I'd appreciate it.

What? What is left out?If anyone can answer this or point to a writeup on that issue, I'd appreciate it.
Like I said, I did not watch the show so I can't directly comment on what was left out but from what I have read locally there is evidence left out and the show is definitely biased for the defense, Here's a good write up and summary of the case from True Crimes from 2012.

http://truecrimecases.blogspot.com/2012/08/steven-avery.html

Just a few posts up you are blasting the show for leaving out lots of evidence, but you haven't even watched the show and admit in this post that you are not sure what they even covered.

Users who are viewing this thread