What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Newton...what A team leader (1 Viewer)

GROOT

Footballguy
Odell Beckham's cheapshot helmet to helmet hit on Cam Newton's own teamate.

After the game Cam and Odell are hugging in front of the cameras. Does this rub any of you the wrong way? What A team leader Cam is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seen a still of them two yucking it up and I wasn't sure if it was pre or post game. But thought to myself that's bad if its post game. Just shows ya how much he loves flashing his pearly whites for the camera, everything else be damned. I agree, I wouldn't be thrilled if I was a teammate.

GROOT said:

After the game Cam and Odell are hugging in front of the cameras. Does this rub any of you the wrong way? What A team leader Cam is.
Other Panthers hugged Beckham after the game too. When asked about Beckham, Cam said it was obvious to everyone what he did, and he wasn't going to make it personal.

Grown men. What happens on the field stays on the field. They're not going to be playing this game long, but they will be around each other for decades as announcers, coaches, HoF ceremonies and reunions.

It's a fraternity we don't belong to; I'm not going to pass judgement on what it should or shouldn't be like.

GROOT said:

Other Panthers hugged Beckham after the game too. When asked about Beckham, Cam said it was obvious to everyone what he did, and he wasn't going to make it personal.
exactly.

Haters are gonna hate on Cam. The rest of us can see that he's actually a pretty good guy, having fun playing a game for a living.

GROOT said:

exactly.

Haters are gonna hate on Cam. The rest of us can see that he's actually a pretty good guy, having fun playing a game for a living.
Seriously. I can't think of a single negative thing to say about Cam. He's a great role model and example for young athletes.

GROOT said:

exactly.

I guess what most opposing fans see is a guy who seems way too arrogant and lack of humility (act like you've been there before) for the position of QB. I believe most fans like players to be humble and show some humility and Cam has none of that. He is a hell of a player though and deserves MVP in the league this year.

I guess what most opposing fans see is a guy who seems way too arrogant and lack of humility for the position of QB. I believe most fans like players to be humble and show some humility and Cam has none of that. He is a hell of a player though and deserves MVP in the league this year.
Really? Humility is not one of the attributes I commonly associate with QBs, nor look for in QB prospects. Don't think I've ever heard a fan around draft time saying "I hope we pick QB X, he's a really humble guy!"

I guess what most opposing fans see is a guy who seems way too arrogant and lack of humility for the position of QB. I believe most fans like players to be humble and show some humility and Cam has none of that. He is a hell of a player though and deserves MVP in the league this year.
Really? Humility is not one of the attributes I commonly associate with QBs, nor look for in QB prospects. Don't think I've ever heard a fan around draft time saying "I hope we pick QB X, he's a really humble guy!"
I believe a lot of old school QBs didn't showboat like Cam does and that pisses people off who are not Panthers fans. Just telling it like I see it. Hell, even Joe Namath was very professional (never disrespected his opponents or showboated after success) on the field even though he partied hearty off the field. Most, if not all, of the great QBs in history didn't disrespect their opponents like Cam does with his showboating. Kind of like what a batter does after hitting a home run by staring down the pitcher or flipping the bat in a disrespectful way. Then the pitcher aims at his head the next time he comes to bat.

Disrespecting his opponents. LOL. Rodgers' stupid ### belt thing was turned into a national ad campaign. The double standard with Cam is beyond unreasonable.

We need more feuds in the NFL to make it even more like pro wrestling. Cam should've beaten OBJ over the head with a chair at the crowd's urging. That would've been awesome.

Come on. These guys are professional athletes. There's no need to make it personal.

GROOT said:

exactly.

I guess what most opposing fans see is a guy who seems way too arrogant and lack of humility (act like you've been there before) for the position of QB. I believe most fans like players to be humble and show some humility and Cam has none of that. He is a hell of a player though and deserves MVP in the league this year.
it's funny though, we've come to expect the "lack of humility" in wide receivers but maybe not in QBs.

I care a lot more about what he does for the community than whether he's humble or showboats.

GROOT said:

More than hugging Cam was having a talk with Odell. Beckham is covering his face with his hand, but you see afterward that he wants to talk more, so it seemed like he didn't get much of a word in.

I believe a lot of old school QBs didn't showboat like Cam does and that pisses people off who are not Panthers fans. Just telling it like I see it. Hell, even Joe Namath was very professional (never disrespected his opponents or showboated after success) on the field even though he partied hearty off the field. Most, if not all, of the great QBs in history didn't disrespect their opponents like Cam does with his showboating. Kind of like what a batter does after hitting a home run by staring down the pitcher or flipping the bat in a disrespectful way. Then the pitcher aims at his head the next time he comes to bat.
Get off my lawn!

Disrespecting his opponents. LOL. Rodgers' stupid ### belt thing was turned into a national ad campaign. The double standard with Cam is beyond unreasonable.
I always thought there was some racism involved in these double standards. I remember Favre running around, jumping, smacking DEs on the butt, and announcers ate it up. "He loves the game. Favre is like a kid out there... such a competitor. " Then the same announcer turns around and blasts a black player for a TD dance or doing the first down pose with the old "Act like you've been there before. Poor sportsmanship. "

GROOT said:

exactly.

Yeah I see a guy who celebrates a lot (maybe excessively) after a TD. I interpret it as a guy with passion who loves to win. I also see a guy chumming it up with kids a lot. :shrug: Seems like a legit good guy to me

Get off my lawn!
....or what, you'll shoot me?

Johnny U was considered arrogant and cocky in his day because of his high tops, the way he acted like a coach in huddle, etc.

Johnny U was considered arrogant and cocky in his day because of his high tops, the way he acted like a coach in huddle, etc.
OMG

I am not really a fan of Cam, but this is not a big deal at all. ODB made a cheap shot during the game out of frustration. Nobody got hurt, so it is not really a big deal in my opinion. If you watch any NFL game after it is over there are tons of guys smiling and saying hi that are on opposite teams. I am not sure why we think Cam should be all piss and scowls after the game.

I am not really a fan of Cam, but this is not a big deal at all. ODB made a cheap shot during the game out of frustration. Nobody got hurt, so it is not really a big deal in my opinion. If you watch any NFL game after it is over there are tons of guys smiling and saying hi that are on opposite teams. I am not sure why we think Cam should be all piss and scowls after the game.
And what if A serious injury resulted ?

I hate the way he always finds a child in the stands after he scores a TD and gives them the ball, creating what will probably be one the greatest memories of their lives. What he should be doing is cover the ball in stickum and broken glass and beat the opposing coach in the face with it.

What a tool.

I hate the way he always finds a child in the stands after he scores a TD and gives them the ball, creating what will probably be one the greatest memories of their lives. What he should be doing is cover the ball in stickum and broken glass and beat the opposing coach in the face with it.

What a tool.
All the guys on the offense do it now. Won't someone think of the children?

They're not in the mob.

I've never been a Cam fan and I base most of that from perceptions and biases I have of him from his college days and how it seemed (TO ME) that maybe everything wasn't legit and above the board.

I can understand people being upset that he is yucking it up with opponents after that Giants game but over the years, I've seen that over and over. A guy tries to kill Tom Brady for 4 quarters and then he's shaking hands and laughing with him after losing by 20. Ray Lewis and T-sizzle are spitting profanities for three hours but then holding hands in a prayer circle after. I take it as a GOOD sign of maturity and being able to compartmentalize the job from the reality of life.

Now, going back to Cam. Despite me saying I've never liked him—well, I guess I've gone soft because the very thing I hate (the superman routine, the "look at me" when he scores (I know...keep him out of the end zone if you don't want to see it, whiner)—is the very thing that has brought me around because when I see the genuine thrill and excitement of the kids when they score and get the souvenir footballs and the adults and their enthusiasm, it reminds me that this game that became a business CAN still be a fun thrill ride, more like it is in college.

The "NO FUN LEAGUE" really should loosen up a bit and invite the passion back with the fans. That is missing in a lot of ways. As fans, we shouldn't be asked to approach the game in the same way Bill Belichick does and just dead pan every outcome.

Sometimes you want to be Ren, not Droopy.

Also, I thought his response yesterday was about as straight forward as you can get from an athlete these days and it was just the way he said it that made me think "this is a real response and not measured and calculated" and I applaud that.

I can live with Cam these days.

How many NFL players seek out a kid to give the Football to after a TD or a pick?

it may be a gimmick, but its very cool and everyone should adopt it.

I've been called a racist numerous times on twitter because I'm not a fan of Cam. It's gotten to a point I don't feel comfortable even talking about it. I'm literally not allowed to not like him now. Why don't I like him? Because I don't believe him. He is calculated and disingenuous. And that makes me racist, apparently. Or not enlightened. Or stupid. Or old school. None of which are true. It is ok that I don't like him. It is well within my right to not like him. It's a very dangerous precedent to be set by labeling anyone that doesn't like him as racist. It's offensive as hell. But that is the overwhelming reaction and narrative. It's wrong. I truly believe that one day he will be exposed for the fraud I believe him to be. Until then, out of fear, I have to lurk. And watch. And wait. We shall see.....

Last thing: I have felt this way about him since he was at Auburn. It has nothing to do with him beating my Seahawks twice this season. Totally unrelated.

I didn't like him at Auburn either (more accurately I did not like the way the NCAA handled his investigation after bringing down the hammer on USC because of Reggie Bush).

But y'know what? I think he is actually a really good dude and who gives a #### if his father took money or not in college? They should get paid in college. Calling him "disingenuous" and "calculated" without any logical basis for those conclusions isn't racist but it is kind of stupid.

And I agree that he is calculated. He calculates how to best entertain the fans and help his community particularly the children in his community.

I've been called a racist numerous times on twitter because I'm not a fan of Cam. It's gotten to a point I don't feel comfortable even talking about it. I'm literally not allowed to not like him now. Why don't I like him? Because I don't believe him. He is calculated and disingenuous. And that makes me racist, apparently. Or not enlightened. Or stupid. Or old school. None of which are true. It is ok that I don't like him. It is well within my right to not like him. It's a very dangerous precedent to be set by labeling anyone that doesn't like him as racist. It's offensive as hell. But that is the overwhelming reaction and narrative. It's wrong.
Lots of things are wrong. Like going on Twitter and saying nasty things about people you don't know.

I've been called a racist numerous times on twitter because I'm not a fan of Cam. It's gotten to a point I don't feel comfortable even talking about it. I'm literally not allowed to not like him now. Why don't I like him? Because I don't believe him. He is calculated and disingenuous. And that makes me racist, apparently. Or not enlightened. Or stupid. Or old school. None of which are true. It is ok that I don't like him. It is well within my right to not like him. It's a very dangerous precedent to be set by labeling anyone that doesn't like him as racist. It's offensive as hell. But that is the overwhelming reaction and narrative. It's wrong.
Lots of things are wrong. Like going on Twitter and saying nasty things about people you don't know.
I never said anything nasty. I said I don't like him and I think he's disingenuous. That is my opinion of him. That's all I've said.

I'm curious what you mean by disingenuous?

I do agree that you don't have to like him, and you're not necessarily a racist for not liking him.

I never said anything nasty. I said I don't like him and I think he's disingenuous. That is my opinion of him. That's all I've said.
See, it's not the same as someone calling Manziel a drunk. Because no one will say, ''Have anything to back that up?'' Because there is something to back that up.

We supposed to feel bad for you because people call you a racist for saying something with nothing to back it up? Maybe you're not a racist, maybe you are just unoriginal, and shouldn't regurgitate venom spouted by Nolan Nawrocki 5 years ago. Let me guess, you think his smile is fake too? Nawrocki used that exact word in his 'scouting report' on Cam. Google Nawrocki, see where he is now. Vanished.

How does anyone call anyone disingenuous without meeting them? It's almost as absurd as calling someone a racist only because they said they didn't like someone.

Do you really not get the irony in this?

Users who are viewing this thread