What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tomlin...is it time to go? (4 Viewers)

Missing the playoffs because of blown games against some of the league’s worst at the peak of a window is not winning. There seems to be some false correlation around here. We criticize Marvin Lewis for not being able to win in the playoffs and him being an undeserving HC because of that. Look at Tomlin’s run from 2011 and what do you see? 1 Conference Championship appearance with a Super Bowl caliber team all 7 years? I mean those suggesting who would do better... who would do worse with this talented team?
Exactly on the last couple sentences. I will never understand the "who will you find that is better" argument. This season was a complete embarrassment & most of it falls on tomlin.

While I agree, you have to look at the circumstances as well.

Tomlin inherited what was basically a Super Bowl team, one that had a HOF QB at a young age and the top defense in the league.  I give him about as much credit for his Super Bowl win as I do Switzer for his with Dallas in 1995 (see: not a whole lot). 

Tomlin is like the AFC version of Mike McCarthy: a good coach, but one who has underachieved big time given the HOF QB he has had (and the Steelers overall have been far more talented over the years than the Packers).   If McCarthy can get the axe mid-season despite having won 62% of his games over nearly 12 seasons, then Tomlin should be on the hot seat following a season in which they collapsed after a 7-2-1 start and missed the playoffs (assuming Baltimore does not #### the bed today).  One AFCCG and ZERO Super Bowls in the last five years despite having a HOF QB, the best WR of your generation and consistently top production from whoever your starting RB is, is unforgivable.  It just is. 
Tomlin took over an 8-8 team.    Ben may be a HOF QB but very rarely was he put on the same level as Brady, Brees, Manning and Rodgers around here or sports columnists.   In recent years many people here considered Cam Newton and Russell Wilson as being superior.  Aside from BB how many Super Bowls have the coaches of those team been to?   Getting to the Super Bowl is hard -- just ask Dan Marino.

Any Steelers fan will tell you the defense over the past 5 years has been pretty bad  and let's not forget the RBs the Steelers have had to start in the playoffs due to injuries.

I am not making excuses and Tomlin shares a lot of blame in the losses down the stretch this season but given a competent kicker this team would have double digit wins.

Exactly on the last couple sentences. I will never understand the "who will you find that is better" argument. This season was a complete embarrassment & most of it falls on tomlin.
Look at the teams with constant head coach turnover.  Finding a good head coach is hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Steelers fan will tell you the defense over the past 5 years has been pretty bad  and let's not forget the RBs the Steelers have had to start in the playoffs due to injuries.
Tomlin is a defensive guy, so the defense being so bad falls on him, right?  

In other words, his side of the ball is bad, his game-day coaching is suspect at best, and he is clearly not good at getting a team prepared to play (which is why they consistently play up and down to their level of competition).  The offense, which he has little to do with, being so good and being loaded with stars is why they win games. 

To quote one of your fellow Steelers fans from just yesterday: 

- He took over a team that was 8-8 the year before because of Ben's motorcycle accident and a few other things, but they had gone a combined 26-6 the two years before that.
I didn't say it was a good team, just pointing out the team did not win a Super Bowl the year before and in fact had missed the playoffs and had to win 4 out of the last 5 games just to get to .500

Look at the teams with constant head coach turnover.  Finding a good head coach is hard.
Big Ben coming out yesterday and saying this is the most talented team he’s been apart of. If that team is at home tomorrow it says it all to me at least. Yes the secondary is deficient but they haven’t had a pass rusher like Watt since Harrison’s DPOY. Ya, good coaching is hard to find at a consistent level. What Tomlin has done is not be very good when it counts. It’s a hard decision, sure. Goes against the overall philosophy of the franchise but this dude is not good. His record is a mirage of the talent he’s been surrounded by. I can go on and on about coaches boosted by talent. Terrible coaches have won divisions and made playoffs and Super Bowls: Bill Callahan, Tony Sprano, Ben McAdoo, Lovie Smith, Jeff Fisher... this team is too talented to succumb to an auto pilot, comfy coach who refuses to change things and not let players take it easy on games he has notated as a W on his calendar.

Edit to add: maybe in the long run a new coach won’t be able to adjust when the loss of Ben comes but I already have zero confidence Tomlin can do it. They need a breath of fresh air if they are going to win a Super Bowl. Tomlin returning is an acceptance of mediocrity.

Tomlin is a defensive guy, so the defense being so bad falls on him, right?  

In other words, his side of the ball is bad, his game-day coaching is suspect at best, and he is clearly not good at getting a team prepared to play (which is why they consistently play up and down to their level of competition).  The offense, which he has little to do with, being so good and being loaded with stars is why they win games. 
This is ridiculous.  You can't pick and choose all of the bad aspects of the team and blame Tomlin while at the same time giving him no credit for the good.     

This is ridiculous.  You can't pick and choose all of the bad aspects of the team and blame Tomlin while at the same time giving him no credit for the good.     
Are you saying he is not a defensive guy? 

Do the Steelers not consistently play up and down to their level of competition?

Are you pleased with his game-day coaching (challenges, situational coaching, etc.)? 

How many hours do you all suppose he'd be unemployed if fired? Two? Three? I suppose many fans are on this thread thinking "PLEASE fire him!"
Probably the same fans rooting for Mike McCarthy to come to town. Who cares? The Rams were thrilled to have Jeff Fisher. Hue Jackson was rated the best hire in the offseason of his first season by multiple publications. Public perception is ####. I’d love to see Tomlin do better with a team with vastly inferior talent, which there are plenty. This team has top five talent. He’s Jason Garrett or Marvin Lewis with a title under his belt. 

Example: Two NFL owners fought to give Jon Gruden the most ridiculous contract in NFL history (for a HC). Same NFL owners would do the same thing for Bill Cowher a decade and a half out of the league and with a play style that would get absolutely destroyed today.

Cardinals just offered Mike McCarthy full control of the organization. My point is not only proven, it’s emphasized. 

Hey look, a Mike tomlin team didn't show up to the most important game of the year against aSh@@@@ opponent. That's someone I would hire 2 hours after he's canned. But we as fans won't be fortunate enough to see him canned. He's awful, everyone admit for a change. 

Hey look, a Mike tomlin team didn't show up to the most important game of the year against aSh@@@@ opponent. That's someone I would hire 2 hours after he's canned. But we as fans won't be fortunate enough to see him canned. He's awful, everyone admit for a change. 
"Being awful" and "having a job shortly after a firing" are sadly not mutually exclusive conditions in the NFL...

Big Ben Pick Six... thanks Tomlin. Jerk.
Ben thought there was a free play because the Bengals were offsides on the play, so he forced it downfield. Flag wasn't thrown.

That play aside, the team looks flat in a must-win home game against a divisional opponent missing it's starting QB, RB, TE, and both WR's.

Big Ben Pick Six... thanks Tomlin. Jerk.
Ya, putting up a goose egg against a Cincy team with half their roster on the IR and a HC with one foot out the door at home certainly isn’t an indictment of the preparation of Mike Tomlin at all. 

And a team with Lamar freakin Jackson is in the playoffs,  not Roethlisberger.  Enough said, cant wait for a repeat next year with this idiot coach.

And  how ridiculous is that,  but it's true. And it would probably take more, because there are actually fans that love tomlin for some bizarre reason. 
Bro, you need to relax.

I don't love Tomlin but it seems unhealthy/crazy to burn so much negative energy hating Tomlin because the Steelers (right or wrong) wont fire the guy any time soon.  I choose to accept the coolness of them having continuity with coaches for decades rather than #####ing for no reason.  It's not like you can complain enough, or get enough Steeler fans on your side to force the Steelers' hand.

If Tomlin is gone tomorrow I won't be upset, if Tomlin is the coach for the next 5 years I won't be upset either.

Let's hear it everyone, let's bring tomlin back and continue this awesome run we are on. Get embarrassed by NE in playoffs few years ago, get embarrassed at home to a pathetic offensive Jax team in the playoffs,  and now miss the playoffs completely.  Do you all want to wait until we are 2-14.??? Oh wait I forgot about his regular season record 

Bro, you need to relax.

I don't love Tomlin but it seems unhealthy/crazy to burn so much negative energy hating Tomlin because the Steelers (right or wrong) wont fire the guy any time soon.  I choose to accept the coolness of them having continuity with coaches for decades rather than #####ing for no reason.  It's not like you can complain enough, or get enough Steeler fans on your side to force the Steelers' hand.

If Tomlin is gone tomorrow I won't be upset, if Tomlin is the coach for the next 5 years I won't be upset either.
I think the Steelers could go 19-0 and Irish would be mad :)

I think the Steelers could go 19-0 and Irish would be mad :)
There wouldn't be any hope of that. I'm just dumbfounded that everyone is just fine with the same BS every year. And its getting worse,  they missed the playoffs. What am I missing?

Let's hear it everyone, let's bring tomlin back and continue this awesome run we are on. Get embarrassed by NE in playoffs few years ago, get embarrassed at home to a pathetic offensive Jax team in the playoffs,  and now miss the playoffs completely.  Do you all want to wait until we are 2-14.??? Oh wait I forgot about his regular season record 
Who would you hire that will be better?

First I've asked. I always ask this question when talk turns to firing someone. 

What are the chances we get a better replacement and who is that replacement are key questions I think when you're thinking about firing someone. 
I do not necessarily agree. Sometimes a change is needed, even if you don't have someone in-waiting.  Plenty of head coaches better than Mike Tomlin have been fired in football and other sports when said team didn't have someone ready to step in and do a better job.  Now, you could argue that team-x or team-y made a mistake in doing it that way, and I am not necessarily saying that Tomlin should be fired, merely that if he were, I would understand.  This team underachieves year after year after year. At what point is Mike Tomlin held accountable for the team consistently underachieving under his watch? 

I do not necessarily agree. Sometimes a change is needed, even if you don't have someone in-waiting.  Plenty of head coaches better than Mike Tomlin have been fired in football and other sports when said team didn't have someone ready to step in and do a better job.  Now, you could argue that team-x or team-y made a mistake in doing it that way, and I am not necessarily saying that Tomlin should be fired, merely that if he were, I would understand.  This team underachieves year after year after year. At what point is Mike Tomlin held accountable for the team consistently underachieving under his watch? 
Cool. We can disagree there.

I think "What are the chances we get a better replacement?" and "Who is that replacement?" are key questions to consider. 

Nick Saban. Talent is all assembled, he gets his chance to win in the NFL and he’ll bring much needed discipline to a team that lacks it. Jim Harbaugh is another thought. I think both would be short term hires, something I DO NOT think the Steelers would do but to think every other coach that may be out there is inferior I don’t think is an acceptable answer. Up and comers I like: Lincoln Riley, Freddie Kitchens, Todd Monken, Byron Leftwich. 

Other thoughts that align with the short term view point: Bruce Arians if they didn’t torch the bridge. Vic Fangio would bring the possibility of solving the defensive problems while already having a built in offense.

Did you ask the same questions when there was talk of Mike McCarthy, who had a resume on par with Tomlin, getting fired? 
Absolutely.

When considering firing someone, I think "What are the chances we get a better replacement?" and "Who is that replacement?" are key questions to consider. 

There wouldn't be any hope of that. I'm just dumbfounded that everyone is just fine with the same BS every year. And its getting worse,  they missed the playoffs. What am I missing?
Just having some fun. You just seem a little Too intense/vested into the outcome of a football franchise.  I love the Steelers but my year isn't ruined right now. I'll get up for work tomorrow as usual :)

irish eyes said:
So you're a fan of underachieving and mediocrity
I don't call making the playoffs basically every year mediocre. Weren't they in the conference title game not long ago?
I think no losing seasons, plenty of playoff wins and a contending team every year is better than mediocre. Way better, actually. 

I think Steelers fans are a bit spoiled. And as a successful franchise, that's perfectly okay. You win, you expect to win. Just winning isn't good enough. I get it. 

If this "mediocrity" is all he brings to another franchise (if/when he gets fired) I think that franchise's fan base would be really happy. Maybe they're not a fan of underachieving and mediocrity. Maybe you're too used to winning every year. If you want Pittsburgh to ride the coaching carousel, I sure won't stop you. 

Just having some fun. You just seem a little Too intense/vested into the outcome of a football franchise.  I love the Steelers but my year isn't ruined right now. I'll get up for work tomorrow as usual :)
Me too - except I don;t go back to work until Jan 3rd 😛 

Absolutely.

When considering firing someone, I think "What are the chances we get a better replacement?" and "Who is that replacement?" are key questions to consider. 
Fair enough. 

And yes, we can agree to disagree. 

And to reiterate, I do not think Tomlin is a bad coach, and am not advocating for his dismissal.  But it is clear that changes are needed. This team has too much talent to be missing the playoffs, and this will be the 6th team in the last 8 years that the team failed to win a single playoff game. 

Absolutely.

I agree with you and thankfully the Steelers organization thinks in a similar way.  However, I've come to the conclusion (based on this thread) that fans don't need to be held to that same standard since they wouldn't be held accountable for making the change.

I don't call making the playoffs basically every year mediocre. Weren't they in the conference title game not long ago?
I think no losing seasons, plenty of playoff wins and a contending team every year is better than mediocre. Way better, actually. 

I think Steelers fans are a bit spoiled. And as a successful franchise, that's perfectly okay. You win, you expect to win. Just winning isn't good enough. I get it. 

If this "mediocrity" is all he brings to another franchise (if/when he gets fired) I think that franchise's fan base would be really happy. Maybe they're not a fan of underachieving and mediocrity. Maybe you're too used to winning every year. If you want Pittsburgh to ride the coaching carousel, I sure won't stop you. 
This is a pie in the sky way to look at it. It's a matter of relative expectation. I think compared to at least 75% of coaches in the NFL, anybody who knows football would agree Tomlin is in the top quarter of coaches in the league. As a top 8 HC, if you are consistently winning playoff matches and making deep runs/earning byes, but just can't reach or win a SB, it's mediocre job performance, relative to where most people perceive you on the coaching chain. Sure, most other teams would gladly take that, but it's also okay to demand more from your elite head coach, and to be disappointed and frustrated in outcomes of recent seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread