What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Phone for Pics? (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Wife and I recently became first time grandparents (grandson) and she has the photo bug. Her phone is old and time to replace/update.

Which phone takes the best pics in your opinion?

iphone 6, 6s, Samsung Galaxy, LG, or other?

Usage disclosure: We can share 1 GB data easily between two phones. 99 percent of her phone usage is talk, texting and taking pictures. I just want to get her a good phone for pics where she can instantly share (facebook).

Thanks in advance.

any recent smart phone will be comparable to the next. its hard to make a bad choice. id go with apple only because ive had an iphone for the past 5 years

I have an HTC M8. I love it. It has a dual lens camera, so if you choose, you can take 3D images, and the screen is HD, so the pics look fantastic

I have an HTC M8. I love it. It has a dual lens camera, so if you choose, you can take 3D images, and the screen is HD, so the pics look fantastic
Did they improve the camera from the M7 because this one doesn't take good pics without proper lighting. I love the phone and will stick with a newer model if they fixed that issue.

Probably hard to make a wrong choice today . Key thing for me would camera startup & if there is any pause between pics

As far as iPhones go the 6s plus is their best camera

Did they improve the camera from the M7 because this one doesn't take good pics without proper lighting. I love the phone and will stick with a newer model if they fixed that issue.
I understand there was improvement from the M7 to M8. I have not tried out the M9 yet.

IMO the best phones in order are...

1. Samsung Galaxy S6 or Note 5 (same camera)

2. Nexus 6P or 5X (Same camera)

3. iPhone 6s

4. LG G4 (or V10 but G4 is way cheaper)

The problem with Samsung is that some people have RAM management issues with them and it will close background apps (ex... spotify or something) and they get frustrated. Edit to add - they seem to be cleaning it up a bit, but still wonky at times.

If it were me I would go with a Nexus or iPhone depending on which ecosystem you like better.

Last edited by a moderator:
KiddLattimer said:

3. iPhone 6s

The problem with Samsung is that some people have RAM management issues with them and it will close background apps (ex... spotify or something) and they get frustrated. Edit to add - they seem to be cleaning it up a bit, but still wonky at times.

If it were me I would go with a Nexus or iPhone depending on which ecosystem you like better.
That's very similar to what I've been reading in recent "year end" type reviews. 2, 4, 1, 3 has also been a common ranking.

This guy is great, his camera rankings start at the 3 minute(ish) mark and go 1, 4, 2/3 https://youtu.be/UBuVR8_Mybw he also mentioned how closure the top several are.

It's going to come down to personal preference and price point, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

KiddLattimer said:

3. iPhone 6s

iPhone 6s Plus has OIS where the 6s doesn't . Big difference

Good point on OIS, I forgot that part. Also neither Nexus has OIS although the 6P has electronic stabilization I believe.

KiddLattimer said:

3. iPhone 6s

That's very similar to what I've been reading in recent "year end" type reviews. 2, 4, 1, 3 has also been a common ranking.This guy is great, his camera rankings start at the 3 minute(ish) mark and go 1, 4, 2/3 https://youtu.be/UBuVR8_Mybw he also mentioned how closure the top several are.

It's going to come down to personal preference and price point, but you can't go wrong with any of them.
Yea the Nexus phones are fantastic... I have an iPhone 6s and Nexus 5x that I've been comparing (I'll send one back)... LOVE LOVE LOVE the 5X camera, but I prefer iOS since I have a lot of the Apple integration going on. My next phone will probably be Android though... they've come a long way since I last had one.

MKBHD is very good, for camera comparisons I go right to SuperSaf, his comparison vids are great. https://m.youtube.com/user/SuperSafTV

I know that my sister's Samsung takes way better pics than my iPhone 6+. Maybe the 6s+ is better but it needs to be if they want to hang with Samsung.

Consumer reports rates the g4 number 1 for photos
G4 has fantastic manual settings so if you know what you're doing with a DSLR it's a great camera because you can adjust everything. For people like me who are kinda clueless with that stuff it doesn't matter as much.

Anyone have a Droid Turbo? What do you think of it?

32GB standard

21 MP camera with dual flash (vs iphone 6 at 8 MP)

usage time up to 48 hrs (claimed anyway)

wireless charging

Motorola used to be good, though I haven't used one in a while.

32GB standard

wireless charging

I messed around with it in the store (not in real life so take my opinion for what its worth). The screen is "shatter resistant" so if you're clumsy with them or work on a job site or something it might be nice... I believe someone dropped one from a drone recently and it didn't shatter. The trade off is that the screen is also kind of meh because they have layers of protection over it.

As far as the camera the megapixels don't matter nearly as much as the sensor does... that's why Apple was always one of the better cameras despite having an 8 megapixel shooter while the competition always had 16+.

For example I tested out a Moto X Pure recently which had a 21 megapixel camera (might be the same one as the Turbo) so I was kind of excited about it, but once the lights got dim (inside my house with the lights on) the camera was complete crap. Since most of my pictures are of my kids, and are usually indoors it was a no-go for me.

Edit to add - MKBHD had a good video on camera quality that might be helpful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldS_yHnZMDs

32GB standard

wireless charging

I messed around with it in the store (not in real life so take my opinion for what its worth). The screen is "shatter resistant" so if you're clumsy with them or work on a job site or something it might be nice... I believe someone dropped one from a drone recently and it didn't shatter. The trade off is that the screen is also kind of meh because they have layers of protection over it.

As far as the camera the megapixels don't matter nearly as much as the sensor does... that's why Apple was always one of the better cameras despite having an 8 megapixel shooter while the competition always had 16+.

For example I tested out a Moto X Pure recently which had a 21 megapixel camera (might be the same one as the Turbo) so I was kind of excited about it, but once the lights got dim (inside my house with the lights on) the camera was complete crap. Since most of my pictures are of my kids, and are usually indoors it was a no-go for me.

Edit to add - MKBHD had a good video on camera quality that might be helpful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldS_yHnZMDs
That's great info, thanks for the link. He explained the importance of the sensor quite well.

I read somewhere that the high # of megapixels helps the 4k quality of video on those phones with the higher number of MP. But not as much for still shots.

32GB standard

wireless charging

That's great info, thanks for the link. He explained the importance of the sensor quite well.

I read somewhere that the high # of megapixels helps the 4k quality of video on those phones with the higher number of MP. But not as much for still shots.
Yea a high # of MP never hurts, but companies pitch it like it's the be all end all of cameras.

If you're taking a lot of video you probably want something with optical image stabilization like the Samsungs or the iPhone 6s plus (note: the regular iphone 6s doesn't have OIS).

Also, the Nexus line have great cameras but no OIS as well and their video footage is VERY shaky so you might not want to go there unless you plan on using a tripod.

Just got an LG G4 around the holidays and I have some of the best looking photos ever. I will say that I have to work on night shots, those are not coming out great yet but I believe it is my fault not the phone.

Best selfies and there are lots of other great features. Battery is replaceable so if it goes dead the phone is not totally lost. I would say without any hesitation you will get 3 yrs min from that phone.

32GB standard

wireless charging

Yea a high # of MP never hurts, but companies pitch it like it's the be all end all of cameras.

If you're taking a lot of video you probably want something with optical image stabilization like the Samsungs or the iPhone 6s plus (note: the regular iphone 6s doesn't have OIS).

Also, the Nexus line have great cameras but no OIS as well and their video footage is VERY shaky so you might not want to go there unless you plan on using a tripod.
Video quality isn't as important as photo quality in our case. Lots of pics, few videos I anticipate.

I've settled on the iphone for her but I haven't decided for myself. I want one a little less costly so was looking at the Galaxy or Droid Turbo or comparable.

Just got an LG G4 around the holidays and I have some of the best looking photos ever. I will say that I have to work on night shots, those are not coming out great yet but I believe it is my fault not the phone.

Best selfies and there are lots of other great features. Battery is replaceable so if it goes dead the phone is not totally lost. I would say without any hesitation you will get 3 yrs min from that phone.
Thanks for that. Heard good things about the LG G4.

32GB standard

wireless charging

Video quality isn't as important as photo quality in our case. Lots of pics, few videos I anticipate.

I've settled on the iphone for her but I haven't decided for myself. I want one a little less costly so was looking at the Galaxy or Droid Turbo or comparable.
Yea thats the problem with the iphones... if you dont mind switching services they'll give you some great deals. Verizon is offering $300 off any phone if you switch and trade in, brings the iPhone 6s 64 price down to around $450 and the Note 5 down to around $400. The Samsung S6's are getting cheaper pretty quickly too because the S7 will be out in Feb/March.

Unfortunately for me I was a current customer of VZ so they could care less about me haha. I got an OK deal though... $100 off with code Upgrade and they had a "free upgrade" and an ok trade in value so I ended up saving around $270 on my 6S.

Ive had the Nexus 6P for about a month now.... Taken some beautiful shots with it. Im not one for video, so cant comment on it, but the pics are really nice, overall.

Could share a few if you wanted, wont take much to upload. I'm doing my yearly France visit for a month, so all the pics are from here, in various light.

night shots are a tough task for any smartphone & most p&s cameras

Ive had the Nexus 6P for about a month now.... Taken some beautiful shots with it. Im not one for video, so cant comment on it, but the pics are really nice, overall.

Could share a few if you wanted, wont take much to upload. I'm doing my yearly France visit for a month, so all the pics are from here, in various light.
The 6P has a great camera.

Users who are viewing this thread