What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (15 Viewers)

these are 2 excellent points.

1. Some of the best trades i’ve made are ones I “lost” on the calcs. And since my trade partners often use the same calcs, & one in particular is obsessed with never “losing” a deal, I use that to my advantage to send proposals that he wins. It’s a really helpful strategy.  Perception becomes reality, so finding the spot where I disagree with the perception of “losing” to get the player I want gets it done.

2. I never want to kill a deal with an opening salvo. I never want to lowball someone. 
A wise approach.  I find the calc’s highly useful for precisely this kind of deal building.

I’ve let it be known across my leagues in words and action that I love trading and trade discussions, even if they don’t ultimately end in a deal.  I’m building trust and trying to improve my team using other people’s assets, so it seems to me the least I can do is get to know what they want and need or where they value certain players.  This helps also make my leagues more fun for me.

Not to say I’m always successful in this approach as I’ve made a few diaper offers over time but sometimes you gotta adjust…😊

Last edited by a moderator:
I struggle in Dynasty knowing when to go into full blown rebuild mode.  Not faulting your decision making here AT ALL, because at this level it's all just guesswork, but from my perspective, you've moved your possible win zone out by 3+ years.  I say that because you've gone from fairly polished QB, WR, TE and YOUNG RBs to more raw (and possibly talented) at QB, WR and TE at the same time hurting your RB room.  The rookies and youngsters you traded (Burrow, Godwin, Dionte, Gesicki, Carter, Stevenson) seemed like the makings of a solid core.  What was the rationale for making this set of moves?  I do like what you've done with the WR corps, but I wonder if you could have bolstered that roster without a complete rebuild?  Help me learn here, as I'm still trying to figure out when to cut bait on my own team and go full rebuild.
I don't know, as it was my first full-blown rebuild. I took over two orphan dynasty teams right before the season began paying only the entry fee for 22 to join the leagues. Not paying for the 21 season made me more willing to do a rebuild. And then I decided to try to win now in one league (I did, turning previously winless team into champion) and rebuild in this league. Also, I thought in this league there are a few dominant teams, so I could get this team into the playoffs but it's going to need a rebuild to truly be competitive. Once I decided to go for a rebuild, I looked to gather picks and/or players I wanted to rebuild around. And I made the decision to rebuild around two running QBs given the league's passing settings. So I got Chase, Fields, Mac Jones, Claypool and five extra 1st rounders over the next two seasons. I think I have a lot of assets now to accelerate my rebuild.

I don't know, as it was my first full-blown rebuild. I took over two orphan dynasty teams right before the season began paying only the entry fee for 22 to join the leagues. Not paying for the 21 season made me more willing to do a rebuild. And then I decided to try to win now in one league (I did, turning previously winless team into champion) and rebuild in this league. Also, I thought in this league there are a few dominant teams, so I could get this team into the playoffs but it's going to need a rebuild to truly be competitive. Once I decided to go for a rebuild, I looked to gather picks and/or players I wanted to rebuild around. And I made the decision to rebuild around two running QBs given the league's passing settings. So I got Chase, Fields, Mac Jones, Claypool and five extra 1st rounders over the next two seasons. I think I have a lot of assets now to accelerate my rebuild.
I think this is a good approach. And it always sucks to lose young assets - take it from me, I dealt Mahomes to kick off my full rebuild in my SF Dynasty. 

Many said the same: how could you deal the best young QB in football as part of a rebuild? That's who you build around! (paraphrasing / combining the most common responses) 

I get it - I wish I could have kept him. I'd made the playoffs 3 straight years, finishing 3rd ($), 3rd ($) and 4th ($0). The teams that beat me were all stacked and the margin of defeat averaged 30+ points.

My stable of 27-30 y/o WR & RB wasn't going to give me a very long window, and I felt I was going to lose in the playoffs every year until my old dudes washed out. 

So I blew it up & got as many 2023 draft picks as possible. Incidentally the players I dealt almost all got hurt / had sub-par seasons except Mike Evans. ARob, Carson, Samuels, Chase Edmonds, Hopkins, etc, etc. So had I not done this my team would have completed disintegrated. 

Now I have a core of youth (Tee Higgins, Zach Wilson, Gabe Davis, Michael Pittman, Kyle Pitts), a few ok/upside  prospects (Pringle, RoJo, KJ Osborn, Daniel Jones, D. Carr Rountree,),a couple guys I might still be able to deal in 2022 (Ced Wilson, Cole, Bourne, Fuller, Evan Engram) a top 6 pick in 2022, and a whole mess of draft picks in 2023:

5x 1sts

3x 2nds

3x 3rds

1x 4th

5x 5ths

So 2023 I have 17 picks, 5 of them in the top 12 (with potentially the 1.01 since I don't plan on winning much in 2022), and 6 of the top 13-14. One of the other 2nds could be top 4 as well. 

Hopefully I make good picks & get lucky with their results. If so I should be set up for success for a few years at least. But I'd rather have this than have Mahomes & an empty cupboard. :shrug:  

And who knows what 2022 or 2023 will bring. Maybe someone will get hot for one of my picks & deal me a nice piece or two. Anything's possible at this point. But I do feel far more optimistic about my future chances than I did with Mahomes. 

So yeah - it was probably difficult to deal Burrow. He's a dude I'd love to have in dynasty. But you need more than a couple studs to win, so I completely get it. 

So I blew it up & got as many 2023 draft picks as possible. Incidentally the players I dealt almost all got hurt / had sub-par seasons except Mike Evans. ARob, Carson, Samuels, Chase Edmonds, Hopkins, etc, etc. So had I not done this my team would have completed disintegrated. 
Dude, I did the exact same thing this year. I was a middling team and was not going to be able to compete with the 2-3 juggernauts at the top. I had just went 0-2 for the week and dropped to 7th place and decided to blow it all the way up. I don’t regret it at all. I now have 5 2023 1sts and 5 in 2024. I moved Henry for multiple 1sts literally a week before his injury. I also moved Wilson, Aaron Jones, Tannehill, Kittle and Kyler, all who pretty much underperformed for the remainder of the season. I would be kicking myself so hard if I hadn’t done what I did because I’d be sitting on these declining assets and maybe would’ve not even made the playoffs. 

. I would be kicking myself so hard if I hadn’t done what I did because I’d be sitting on these declining assets and maybe would’ve not even made the playoffs. 

I think this is the greatest fear of every dynasty owner. Like Bill Walsh I’d always rather trade a guy a year too early than a year too late.

had I not made those moves, my team would be so completely hosed right now. Sure, I could still deal Mahomes, but I wouldn’t have Higgins, Gabe Davis, Pitts or Pittman, and I’d be stuck with a bunch of virtually untradeable assets.

let’s hope we can both hit big in the 2023 draft!   :hifive:

Right on. And the beauty of it is, I should have the 1.01 in 2023. One of the 1sts I got back in the Kyler trade was my own 2023 1st, and it’s going to be between me and one other owner for the worst team. At worst, it’s going to be 1.02. 
Man, it’s like we’re brothers from another mother here. When I dealt Mahomes, one of the dudes I got back was CEH. When I went into full rebuild mode, I dealt CEH for my own 2023 1st. :lol:  

#Twinning! 

Also, no calculator that I am aware of can tell you how narrow or wide the market is for a given player. Let's pretend we all agreed on what the value should be for Zeke. Nobody wants to buy him. There is no market. 

"What if the price were right, though?"

It won't be. People will hold before selling Zeke for pennies. And at what may be consensus value, nobody is buying. So the number in a calc is useful but limited.
There comes a time when a player's trade value is much lower than his production value, typically with aging vets like Zeke, making them virtually untradeable. When this happens, the only option is to ride them into the sunset if you're not going to take whatever the market (i.e. your league) is offering.

FFPC standard

Pick 1.12 for a 2023 1st.  

The future 1st is from a team who finished 2nd this year and probably looks better heading into next year.  
I love these trades.  Especially when the 2023 class is projected to be stronger.  The future is hard to predict.  An injury or two or an underperforming team and that late 2023 1st becomes something much better.

I guess there's also something to be said for getting 'your guys'.  My lone full dynasty team was an orphan I picked up at the beginning of 2021.  The roster is relatively stacked and would have been in the finals if not for Derek Henry's injury.  Not "my guys', but I'm having a really hard time deciding exactly when to blow it up.  The roster has a good mix of vets and young talent, so barring major injuries, I'll run it back next season and then make a decision after that.

I guess there's also something to be said for getting 'your guys'.  My lone full dynasty team was an orphan I picked up at the beginning of 2021.  The roster is relatively stacked and would have been in the finals if not for Derek Henry's injury.  Not "my guys', but I'm having a really hard time deciding exactly when to blow it up.  The roster has a good mix of vets and young talent, so barring major injuries, I'll run it back next season and then make a decision after that.
this is what I’m doing with mine. Good blend of WRs young and experienced like Jefferson/Kupp/Cooper/Thielen/Chark/Gabe Davis  but my RBs are getting on a bit now Elliot/Kamara/Montgomery 

I figure getting anything back for Zeke right now ain’t happening. Will go for it fully next year, if season isn’t turning out great maybe grab what I can for Zeke and Kamara and a WR and rebuild with picks and the rest. Come what may end of season 22 I may start trying to seriously re-tool and target the ‘24 draft. 

FFPC standard

The future 1st is from a team who finished 2nd this year and probably looks better heading into next year.  
I like this trade a lot.  The 23 draft should be better and at worst it is also 1.12.  I usually would force a late pick to be included, while selling the year long wait for what I'm getting but in this draft, I have no problem not getting that.  I'd still have tried though.

I like this trade a lot.  The 23 draft should be better and at worst it is also 1.12.  I usually would force a late pick to be included, while selling the year long wait for what I'm getting but in this draft, I have no problem not getting that.  I'd still have tried though.
I like deals like this in FFPC.  The other team is pretty good and probably makes the playoffs, but in this format that pick is truly anywhere from 1-12.  Bad luck happens.

FFPC (regular, NOT superflex)

Ceedee Lamb

For

Three 2022 1sts (one guaranteed to be top 4, of the other two could really be anywhere, at least one is a playoff team)

The three 1sts ended up as picks 1.01, 1.11, and 1.12.

Good luck getting pick 1, not so good luck the other guys got me 11 and 12.  

So how does this deal look as Lamb for those three 1sts right now?

FFPC standard

I don't dislike it and perhaps if I wait to long I won't be able to get a deal like this but I'm still more inclined right now to hold those late 11/12's for a shot at a better looking 2023#1 or something else on top.

I don't dislike it and perhaps if I wait to long I won't be able to get a deal like this but I'm still more inclined right now to hold those late 11/12's for a shot at a better looking 2023#1 or something else on top.
No wrong way to do it.  I also have picks 1.01, 1.04, and 1.11.  That might be what happens with pick 11

No wrong way to do it.  I also have picks 1.01, 1.04, and 1.11.  That might be what happens with pick 11
And I did not know you are sitting on the 11 as well which would have made a big difference in my thought process. Less patient, more worried about no appetite for the picks and getting stuck with both. I'd be a lot more inclined to get out from one of them as soon as I could with both, more patient with one.

And I did not know you are sitting on the 11 as well which would have made a big difference in my thought process. Less patient, more worried about no appetite for the picks and getting stuck with both. I'd be a lot more inclined to get out from one of them as soon as I could with both, more patient with one.
Absolutely.

Ideally I do the same with pick 11 with maybe a worse looking team.   Future 1sts in my experience have more potential to help NOW than late 1sts.  Trade deadline deals can be quite fruitful.

I like deals like this in FFPC.  The other team is pretty good and probably makes the playoffs, but in this format that pick is truly anywhere from 1-12.  Bad luck happens.
Plus early consensus *seems* to be that 2022 class sucks compared to 2023. I really wouldn't know but it does seem collecting 23 picks is the thing to be doing this offseason. 

12 team qrwwwfftkd

icemen and Bobby's Brawlers completed a trade:

From FranchisePlayers/PicksTo FranchisePlayers/Picks

icemen 

Fields, Justin CHI QB

Sanders, Miles PHI RB

Bobby's Brawlers

Gibson, Antonio WAS RB

12 team qrwwwfftkd

icemen and Bobby's Brawlers completed a trade:

From FranchisePlayers/PicksTo FranchisePlayers/Picks

icemen 

Fields, Justin CHI QB

Sanders, Miles PHI RB

Bobby's Brawlers

Gibson, Antonio WAS RB
Much different lineup than I'm used to, so kind of hard to process, but I'm taking the Gibson side easily.

Not involved; PPR 1QB 10 team

Team A received:

CMC

Chuba Hubbard

OBJ

Team B received:

2022 1.01

2022 1.07
If that is what the Market has for CMC & OBJ, I would holdout for better offer.  That is not really much ROI.  Yeah, lots of injury, starting QB and coaching/OC changes to contend with.  Trade Rumors are empty due to his $$ hit. 

If CMC is back to 90% his norm, this is a STEAL for the picks.  

If that is what the Market has for CMC & OBJ, I would holdout for better offer.  That is not really much ROI.  Yeah, lots of injury, starting QB and coaching/OC changes to contend with.  Trade Rumors are empty due to his $$ hit. 

If CMC is back to 90% his norm, this is a STEAL for the picks.  
1.1 for McCaffrey straight up isn't terrible... he will be 26 and coming off back to back injury years.  

I'll gladly take 1.7 over obj and Hubbard. Obj is entering his age 30 season and will be fighting with woods for the wr3 role in a team that should have an improved running game.  I don't see him getting 150 targets and 17 touchdowns ever again but he could be a solid wr2. Maybe.  There are some nice looking receivers coming out (we say that every year) so I'm happy to cash out for the younger player because nobody was giving early draft capital for obj before the trade.  

So this feels like 1.1 plus for McCaffrey, which is... fair. i can see myself offering it or rejecting it in either direction. 

Obj is entering his age 30 season and will be fighting with woods for the wr3 role in a team that should have an improved running game. 

Agree with your analysis and just pointing out that OBJ will be free to sign with any team. It's possible if not likely he returns to the Rams but I think he'll have more options then when Browns cut him.

1.1 for McCaffrey straight up isn't terrible... he will be 26 and coming off back to back injury years.  

I'll gladly take 1.7 over obj and Hubbard. Obj is entering his age 30 season and will be fighting with woods for the wr3 role in a team that should have an improved running game.  I don't see him getting 150 targets and 17 touchdowns ever again but he could be a solid wr2. Maybe.  There are some nice looking receivers coming out (we say that every year) so I'm happy to cash out for the younger player because nobody was giving early draft capital for obj before the trade.  

So this feels like 1.1 plus for McCaffrey, which is... fair. i can see myself offering it or rejecting it in either direction. 
I just think 1.01 is light for CMC and if I had CMC, I would hold.  Hubbard is place holder nothing more right now.  He did not impress over the time CMC was out (3.4 ypc)  He had 1 game > 100 yards vs #30 Run Def Philly.  

Woods is recovering from major injury and unlikely to be a key WR in LAR 2022.  LAR needs a WR2 to help Kupp.  "IF" OBJ stays, it hurts Van J more.  

Yeah, OBJ is at the 30 yr mark, but he missed time with injury also and still has tread on the tires and speed in the wheels. 

I think I would have held CMC & OBJ for that ROI.  Not enuf for me to let go.  Even if I go down with the aging ship! 

I guess I was looking at it as if I had CMC, I would reject.  It's not horrible.  But I would simply counter asking for more...  maybe a 2nd in 2023.  

Mid to Late....  1.07-1.09 range assuming 12 Team PPR (1QB).  

the 1.01 is about an early 3rd round Start up value in most years.  
Yeah last year was a bit of a rarity.  I had seen both Pitts and Harris go 1st round and Chase early-mid 2nd.  This year seems more like the norm of the top pick closer to 3rd round startup range.

Well, what's it usually cost to move up from a pick in the early-mid 20s for a pick in the 7-9 range?  Probably a 1st rounder.  

If I owned CMC and someone offered me picks 1 and 7, I would NOT take that if I was legitimately competing for a title.  I probably WOULD take it if I needed a full rebuild and that was the best I could get.  

OBJ is fluff to me.  Hubbard is ok but nothing special especially in leagues without the huge rosters. 

the 1.01 is about an early 3rd round Start up value in most years.  
Might be the case this year but most normally a lot higher. This is FFPC and I can only look back to 2017.

2017:  2.2 (Fournette)

2018: 1.3 (Barkley)

2019: 3.6 (Jacobs)

2020: 1.9 (CEH)

2021: 1.9 (Najee)

Mentioned I can't look up 2016 but that was Zeke who was a high first round guy.

This year for sure has that 2019 feel to it though you do just need that one guy to emerge and past history does have the 1.1 usually going higher.

The three 1sts ended up as picks 1.01, 1.11, and 1.12.

Good luck getting pick 1, not so good luck the other guys got me 11 and 12.  

So how does this deal look as Lamb for those three 1sts right now?
I still like it, though I’d be looking to deal the 11 & 12. Maybe move both for another top 4 pick? Or for 2023 picks

I know the 2022 draft is getting a lot of hate, but there are some nice players in the top 7.  2 RBs who should be very productive, & 3 WR I like a lot, especially Burns from Arkansas, & Drake London (USC). Garrett Wilson looks legit too. All depends on who takes them.

And while not as QB rich as last year’s draft, there are a couple of solid players at the top, and DET should be drafting one of them.

Back on point, I still think you got fair value for Lamb, and the result gives you flexibility.  If you’re not in love with any of those players, you can always flip the picks for more to someone who is. 

Plus early consensus *seems* to be that 2022 class sucks compared to 2023. I really wouldn't know but it does seem collecting 23 picks is the thing to be doing this offseason. 
That was my approach, but I did hang on to my 2022 1st. If I can get London at 7 or one of the 2 RB I like (superflex, so not unrealistic at all to see 2-3 QB go in the top 5) I’ll be stoked. 

This year’s top 7 skill position players should produce at least 2 NFL caliber RB, (3 if the kid from Michigan is for real) and 3-4 starting WR.

FF relevance will depend a lot on which NFL team drafts them of course.

So yeah - stockpile for ‘23, but I wouldn’t completely write off 2022 to do it. This widely held perception should result in some 2022 bargains. 

Agree with your analysis and just pointing out that OBJ will be free to sign with any team. It's possible if not likely he returns to the Rams but I think he'll have more options then when Browns cut him.
That, and the Rams have Van Jefferson who looked competent at times. With Woods coming back I don’t see the Rams having a ton of incentive to overpay a 30 y/o OBJ. 

Might be the case this year but most normally a lot higher. This is FFPC and I can only look back to 2017.

2017:  2.2 (

Fournette

)

2018: 1.3 (

Barkley

)

2019: 3.6 (

Jacobs

)

2020: 1.9 (CEH)

2021: 1.9 (Najee)

Mentioned I can't look up 2016 but that was Zeke who was a high first round guy.

This year for sure has that 2019 feel to it though you do just need that one guy to emerge and past history does have the 1.1 usually going higher.
I had 3 FFPC startups in 2016.  Zeke went 1.11, 1.11 and 2.02

Yeah, I’m not sure how it could be much worse than what we saw in 2021. 
As washed as Ben was, the Steelers were still like 15th in the league in passing yardage and in the top 10 in passing attempts and completions. Definitely could get worse, IMO. Doesn’t mean it will though.

As washed as Ben was, the Steelers were still like 15th in the league in passing yardage and in the top 10 in passing attempts and completions. Definitely could get worse, IMO. Doesn’t mean it will though.
Seems like an awful lot of that was dink and dunk passing though. Dump offs to the running back & bubble screens  count for yards & completions too. 

Dr. Octopus said:
While this will probably turn out to be correct - Big Ben's busted arm was a huge detriment to Claypool. 

I truly don't think anything was wrong with Ben's arm, just did not have time in the pocket. Been saying this all over everywhere for past few months.

Claypool's poor play was on him. He jumps for everything, makes a lot of mental mistakes, got out targeted by freaking Ray Ray Mcloud each of the last 3 games of the season. He regressed  and it even started in camp were I read several reports he was not having a good camp and there was no debate he was the #3WR on the team. He's young and can still improve but his play was on him.

menobrown said:
I'm surprised it was that low, he was a first round redraft guy that year.
Looking back at it, I think that was the year that the zero RB craze started in the wake of the 2014 WR class.  Here was the first round in one of my startups. The others were similar.

1 - Antonio Brown

2 - Odell Beckham  (me)

3 - Julio Jones

4 - D'Andre Hopkins

5 - Rob Gronkowski

6 - Allen Robinson

7 - AJ Green

8 - Mike Evans

9 - Amari Cooper

10 - Todd Gurley

11 - Ezekiel Elliott

12 Le'Veon Bell

I truly don't think anything was wrong with Ben's arm, just did not have time in the pocket. Been saying this all over everywhere for past few months.
maybe - I saw him throw some pretty inaccurate deep balls this year. More so than I’ve been used to seeing. 

He’s always been under too much pressure - he seemed to process it slower this year leading to more mistakes.

I remember Ben in his prime shaking off would-be sacks to make a play. Ben this year crumpled to the ground. 

IMO it’s too many injuries piling up. 

I agree, he’s faced a lot more pressure but he’s also responded to it poorly. 

Claypool's poor play was on him. He jumps for everything, makes a lot of mental mistakes, got out targeted by freaking Ray Ray Mcloud each of the last 3 games of the season. He regressed  and it even started in camp were I read several reports he was not having a good camp and there was no debate he was the #3WR on the team. He's young and can still improve but his play was on him.
I also agree here. One play in particular was the leaping attempt in the playoff game against the Chiefs. Ball hit him on the hands - he just didn’t catch it. there was also a sideline catch he leapt for that he didn’t need to, and as a result couldn’t get his feed down in bounds.

So I agree, it’s not all on Ben, but some of it is. 

Users who are viewing this thread