What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (20 Viewers)

It's not your fault, you accepted a trade that was offered to you. It's the other guy that I'd "encourage to get better" at the hobby.
This is like a trade from 1992...in this day and age I think this guy's thought process should be a fantasy football case study...would love to know what his thinking is here...the Fitz part is beyond fascinating...if he already owned Tua I could at least see some (not much) type of angle but the fact there was a pick involved means that can't be the case since the draft has not happened...I am not a fan of ever over-turning trades but this is one where I think there needs to be an explanation not to the league but to the whole fantasy football community.

10 team 1QB 3RB 5RB 2TE 2 flex spots (1 superflex) plus full IDP

I traded: Michael Thomas

I got: Chris Godwin

Godwin is my dynasty WR1.  He offered me Godwin for MT/3rd I countered to go straight up.  Usually don't see straight up trades like this.  Both have long term QB questions but Godwin on the youth side was an easy choice.  Both teams are competitive.  I'm a little older overall though, so added bonus.  
I like Godwin but this is too much to pay.  You should have got a 2nd or 3rd back too.  I don't get the craziness with Godwin.  I urge anyone that high on him to go back and look at the stats of WRs that were on teams that had 2 top 10 (let alone top 5) WRs in a season.  The regression the following year is hard core.  MT is too good for this trade straight up.

This is like a trade from 1992...in this day and age I think this guy's thought process should be a fantasy football case study...would love to know what his thinking is here...the Fitz part is beyond fascinating...if he already owned Tua I could at least see some (not much) type of angle but the fact there was a pick involved means that can't be the case since the draft has not happened...I am not a fan of ever over-turning trades but this is one where I think there needs to be an explanation not to the league but to the whole fantasy football community.

This should be overturned.  Horrible trade.  I'm not for veto either, especially in dynasty, but sometimes the Commish has to protect the league.
How would you guys feel if I added Mike Williams?

I like Godwin but this is too much to pay.  You should have got a 2nd or 3rd back too.  I don't get the craziness with Godwin.  I urge anyone that high on him to go back and look at the stats of WRs that were on teams that had 2 top 10 (let alone top 5) WRs in a season.  The regression the following year is hard core.  MT is too good for this trade straight up.
You think?  What about Hopkins vs Godwin in dynasty?  How many more years of a productive Hopkins is there?  He will be 28 in two days and Godwin turned 24 less than four months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas for me, pretty easily. There's too much unknown with Godwin and how things are going to flow with Brady, Evans, Godwin, and three TE's. Also, Arians retired once already, he may do it again. So in a couple years he may not have Brady or Arians - I'll take Thomas' talent, stats, and situation over Godwin's.
Same exact thing could be said for Brees and Payton no?  Sure Payton hasn't retired before but the QB questions are there.  I like Godwin's talent way more than I like Thomas'.

Same exact thing could be said for Brees and Payton no?  Sure Payton hasn't retired before but the QB questions are there.  I like Godwin's talent way more than I like Thomas'.
Brees maybe - but he's still in the same system and didn't show a decline like Brady did last year - Brady is in a brand new system and we just don't know how that's really going to turn out. And Payton has shown no signs of retiring, so I would guess he will remain even after Brees leaves.

Godwin is my dynasty WR1.  He offered me Godwin for MT/3rd I countered to go straight up.  Usually don't see straight up trades like this.  Both have long term QB questions but Godwin on the youth side was an easy choice.  Both teams are competitive.  I'm a little older overall though, so added bonus.  
Definitely Thomas...I don’t see the youth angle being a bonus right now...Thomas is 27 years old so I see no reason to be cashing out on him right now, especially for just another WR...I don’t really understand what is accomplished with this deal...by the time age probably matters and Godwin’s age is a bonus versus Thomas Godwin will be 27 so do you trade him then as well?

Zyphros said:
This is crazy talk IMO.

Give me Thomas 10 times out of 10.

People are getting way too crazy about Godwin.  

Zyphros said:

If you're playing for the long term, I don't hate this deal as much as others. Then again, Michael Thomas scored eighty points more than Godwin in PPR last year, if my eyes aren't failing me. I think Godwin is the best receiver in football aside from fantasy. That's my two cents. Fortune favors the bold, so they say. I'm surprised he wanted the third and not you wanting the second or third, which is probably more appropriate and makes the trade more even.  

Seems to be pretty controversial I guess.  Not to derail the trade thread but Thomas ran a ton of shorter pass plays.  The second they get a good underneath guy I imagine that goes away, at least slightly.  He'll still easily lead that team in targets, but as much volume won't be there.  That's what I'm banking on and why Thomas' value is inflated.  Almost like a rich Jarvis Landry from the Miami days.  

My team is full of aged vets and still competitive so it does help for the minor age difference when it comes time to blow it up, even though MT is elite.  

Boston said:
All depends on team make-up...if I need a RB I like the Gordon side and if I need a WR I like the Woods side...while I like Woods better then Gordon the fact it is a 14 team league makes me guess it is much tougher to acquire a good RB then a good WR due to supply and demand.
I'm the team that traded Woods and got Gordon. As stated, it is a 14 team league. Kind of unique starting lineup requirements with 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, and 1 TE plus 3 flex spots for RB/WR/TE. The rosters are also large with 28 spots.

I think this is one of those trades that helps both teams. Before the trade I had Kamara, Lindsay, and Damien Williams as my primary RBs. At WR I had Godwin, Tyreek Hill, Woods, Mike Williams, Diontae Johnson, etc. Despite only needing to start 1 RB my depth at the position was pretty weak. On the other hand I felt I had plenty of depth at WR to be able to trade Woods.

The team trading Gordon was the 2019 league champ and was really strong at RB with McCaffrey, Zeke, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt and Gordon before the trade. At WR he had Michael Thomas, Edelman, E. Sanders and others. So he dealt from his strength to build at WR.

Seemed like a good trade for both teams.

I'm the team that traded Woods and got Gordon. As stated, it is a 14 team league. Kind of unique starting lineup requirements with 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, and 1 TE plus 3 flex spots for RB/WR/TE. The rosters are also large with 28 spots.

I think this is one of those trades that helps both teams. Before the trade I had Kamara, Lindsay, and Damien Williams as my primary RBs. At WR I had Godwin, Tyreek Hill, Woods, Mike Williams, Diontae Johnson, etc. Despite only needing to start 1 RB my depth at the position was pretty weak. On the other hand I felt I had plenty of depth at WR to be able to trade Woods.

The team trading Gordon was the 2019 league champ and was really strong at RB with McCaffrey, Zeke, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt and Gordon before the trade. At WR he had Michael Thomas, Edelman, E. Sanders and others. So he dealt from his strength to build at WR.

Seemed like a good trade for both teams.
Sheesh. That’s a loaded squad. Best of luck. 

Seems to be pretty controversial I guess. 
My guess is that people haven't fathomed Thomas without Brees really yet. That time is coming. Godwin will have his pick of teams once his rookie deal is done. His situation is likely better than Thomas's, in dynasty terms. But if you're playing in two year windows, this is sort of a tough trade for you. You're going from undisputed WR1 to WR5 or so. But I don't absolutely hate it. It's not like you went two-for-one with guys of lesser quality. You went for what you thought would be the WR1 in the future, and that's what this is all about it, isn't it?  

Or we noticed how Thomas did in his 6 games with Bridgewater last year.
That's true. But Teddy, for all his aDOT warts, is a starter in the league, something other QBs behind Brees might not be able to say. (Winston and/or Hill may be gone by Brees's retirement, and nobody really knows what Hill is capable of.)

Thomas, at worst, could wind up in a Mason Rudolph situation, though I highly doubt it.  We don't know that. But we do know he's in one the best situations he could possibly have now and just registered a historic season to boot. 

That's true. But Teddy, for all his aDOT warts, is a starter in the league, something other QBs behind Brees might not be able to say. (Winston and/or Hill may be gone by Brees's retirement, and nobody really knows what Hill is capable of.)

Thomas, at worst, could wind up in a Mason Rudolph situation, though I highly doubt it.  We don't know that. But we do know he's in one the best situations he could possibly have now and just registered a historic season to boot. 
But at the current time I have to think he's more valuable than Godwin

But at the current time I have to think he's more valuable than Godwin
I agree. If you're playing a two-year window, then Thomas, within reasonable foresight, is the better catch here. If you're playing long like Zyphros has said he does, then all bets are off, really. Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to make a definitive argument that Godwin's dynasty prospects are brighter overall, but there will come a time when they likely will be. How soon that time comes is probably the rub of this trade and where people are getting most hung up. I don't blame them. Thomas is only what, twenty-seven and three months or so? He's got two great years left in him, and then the slow decline. But I also don't blame Zyphros for thinking outside of the window. Who knows what football and its form will take the next two years. If things go even according to plan, they'll be going awry. His prime could be wasted by COVID. Or Godwin could have trouble adjusting to Brady with no real prep time for the year. 

It's all up in the air. Thomas is more valuable right now, though, yes.  

Seems to be pretty controversial I guess.  Not to derail the trade thread but Thomas ran a ton of shorter pass plays.  The second they get a good underneath guy I imagine that goes away, at least slightly.  He'll still easily lead that team in targets, but as much volume won't be there.  That's what I'm banking on and why Thomas' value is inflated.  Almost like a rich Jarvis Landry from the Miami days.  

My team is full of aged vets and still competitive so it does help for the minor age difference when it comes time to blow it up, even though MT is elite.  
92, 104, 125, 149 catches to start his career. Historical pace MT is on. Godwin just lost one of the more fantasy friendly quarterbacks out there (oddly enough he now plays with MT). Brady (if he is not done already) will probably be a 1-2 year stint and I am not confident it will be that pretty during that time. I have Godwin and would snap at the chance to turn him into MT straight up. 

Gave: Kupp, Henderson, Kirk 

Got: Godwin, 2.8

14 team ppr.
Godwin and 2.8...Godwin is an upgrade over Kupp, Henderson is a wildcard and I think Christian Kirk has a chance to become the most traded player in fantasty football history...not sure why the other guy had to add in the 2.8 but that is a very nice add-on for you because outside of Kupp you did not give him any core assets, you gotta get much more then this to give up Godwin.

JohnnyU said:
You think?  What about Hopkins vs Godwin in dynasty?  How many more years of a productive Hopkins is there?  He will be 28 in two days and Godwin turned 24 less than four months ago.
With D-Hop going to a new team with no off-season, his chemistry with Kyler will be limited to start with for sure.  I know TB12 is new too but he is a vet, Kyler isn't.  He also knows how to use a weapon of that caliber.  I can see a D-Hop/Godwin trade especially with age.  MT is just on a different level.  Dude catches over 80% of his balls and proved he doesn't need Brees to be elite last year.

If you're playing for the long term, I don't hate this deal as much as others. Then again, Michael Thomas scored eighty points more than Godwin in PPR last year, if my eyes aren't failing me. I think Godwin is the best receiver in football aside from fantasy. That's my two cents. Fortune favors the bold, so they say. I'm surprised he wanted the third and not you wanting the second or third, which is probably more appropriate and makes the trade more even.  
Godwin is crazy good but I'm not sure how you watch MT break the record for catches in a season, do it with 2 different QBs, have over 1700 yards, and catch over 80% of his balls and call someone else the best WR in football.  Godwin was on a team that threw more too.  Seems like the comparison (let alone calling Godwin better) is way forced here and there really is no comp.

Saying Thomas could end up in a Rudolph situation is a bit extreme. That's like about the worst possible situation that could exist and his head coach is an offensive genius which will probably never let the QB situation get that bad.

If you slopped 20% of Thomas production he'd still almost be the #1WR last year. So yes his season as great but he did it with two QB's. He's not a product of Brees.

Because Thomas runs so many short routes I think who his QB is less key then most WR's.

But whether you are concerned on Thomas QB situation or not I fail to see how Godwin is any less of a worry and in fact he's more of a worry in the short term.

Another draft pick trade:

Team R: gets 1.03 & Emanuel Sanders

Team M: gets Ekeler, Justin Jackson &

Herndon

Godwin is crazy good but I'm not sure how you watch MT break the record for catches in a season, do it with 2 different QBs, have over 1700 yards, and catch over 80% of his balls and call someone else the best WR in football.  Godwin was on a team that threw more too.  Seems like the comparison (let alone calling Godwin better) is way forced here and there really is no comp.
I see your point. I guess I'm getting wrapped up in his efficiency and deep ball efficiency, which are similar to Thomas's, IIRC. I do know Thomas had 66 more targets (180) to work with and a catch rate of 82.5%, whereas Godwin had 114 and a catch rate of 75.4% or so. Really, the bulk here is what would scare me away from the deal. Godwin's aDOT is also better at 15.5 to 11.5 (or somewhere around there). Godwin missed two and a half games due to injury, so his targets would be about 135 or so. 

That's a lot of bulk differential, I guess, when one looks at the numbers. But the efficiency numbers and I'm pretty sure especially the deep numbers (I don't have access to those at PFF) are similar. 

Users who are viewing this thread