What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (9 Viewers)

12 Team PPR

Team A got Amari Cooper, 2023 1st (should be late)

Team B got Terry McLaurin
I think someone overpaid for McLaurin, and by a decent amount, too. 

For one I think AC is pretty close to McLaurin.

Cooper is only 27 (just turned 27 on June 17th) and when healthy he's a very consistent scoring PPR WR. His QB is young & talented, & the Cowboys aren't shy about firing the ball downfield. Yes, his teammate is an ascending talent in Lamb, but AC always seems to get his. Dallas' defense is still not awesome, which should lend well to shootouts like 2020. 

McLaurin is better than I expected him to be in WAS, but there are a lot of unknowns in Washington. They brought in Samuel who will command a decent target share, and Fitzmagic isn't getting any younger. Scott Turner's offense scored the 25th lowest points in the NFL last year. Also, Jack del Rio as DC has been improving the defense, which could mean more running & less shootouts. With Gibson's emergence in the run game, they could certainly be a more balanced team. 

Then add in a 1st round pick? Yeah, this one's a little bit of a head scratcher for me.

I have AC for McLaurin straight up as a pretty even deal - I just checked my dynasty calc & it favors McL by like 8 points but I prefer the Cooper side simply because I like Dak more than Fitzmagic both this year & obviously beyond

Adding in the late 1st and it's a sizable advantage for the team getting Cooper at 196 to 122 (using 1.10 as the 2022 pick). In another calc it's a little closer at 2065 - 1793, but that one rates future draft picks lower than Dynasty Dominator. 

This one's a head-scratcher for me.  

I'll take team A, given the free first.  Dak seems to love Cooper.  Granted, B is getting a younger player by 2 years but I don't see a large enough production gap to necessitate a 1st round pick, regardless of how far down the line it is. 
Yeah, that was my gut reaction to this.

Add in the team factors I mentioned just now above (QB, coaching, defense) and I'm baffled as to how the 1st rounder got "tossed in" there for seemingly nothing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Terry here because the 1st is late and Cooper is nicked up, but the perceived age difference is misleading. Terry is only 15 months younger despite playing 4 less seasons, for what that’s worth. 

I think someone overpaid for McLaurin, and by a decent amount, too. 

For one I think AC is pretty close to McLaurin.

Cooper is only 27 (just turned 27 on June 17th) and when healthy he's a very consistent scoring PPR WR. His QB is young & talented, & the Cowboys aren't shy about firing the ball downfield. Yes, his teammate is an ascending talent in Lamb, but AC always seems to get his. Dallas' defense is still not awesome, which should lend well to shootouts like 2020. 

McLaurin is better than I expected him to be in WAS, but there are a lot of unknowns in Washington. They brought in Samuel who will command a decent target share, and Fitzmagic isn't getting any younger. Scott Turner's offense scored the 25th lowest points in the NFL last year. Also, Jack del Rio as DC has been improving the defense, which could mean more running & less shootouts. With Gibson's emergence in the run game, they could certainly be a more balanced team. 

Then add in a 1st round pick? Yeah, this one's a little bit of a head scratcher for me.

I have AC for McLaurin straight up as a pretty even deal - I just checked my dynasty calc & it favors McL by like 8 points but I prefer the Cooper side simply because I like Dak more than Fitzmagic both this year & obviously beyond

Adding in the late 1st and it's a sizable advantage for the team getting Cooper at 196 to 122 (using 1.10 as the 2022 pick). In another calc it's a little closer at 2065 - 1793, but that one rates future draft picks lower than Dynasty Dominator. 

This one's a head-scratcher for me.  

I'll take team A, given the free first.  Dak seems to love Cooper.  Granted, B is getting a younger player by 2 years but I don't see a large enough production gap to necessitate a 1st round pick, regardless of how far down the line it is. 
I'm torn on this, thinking Cooper side but I love me some McLaurin. Anyone worried about Coopers future with Dallas? Don't they have an out in his contract soon? How about his current injury?

Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
I'm torn on this, thinking Cooper side but I love me some McLaurin. Anyone worried about Coopers future with Dallas? Don't they have an out in his contract soon? How about his current injury?
It was described as a "routine ankle cleanup" and the date they were targeting was July 22nd. So I wouldn't say we're at any point of panic about it on July 12th.

I'm seeing mixed things - some are calling it a set-back, others are saying he's right on the timeline they set out for him (McCarthy just said that on July 7th, to be specific) 

Assuming the injury isn't a concern, I still prefer the volume in Dallas to the volume in WFT. 

As for his contract, he received a guaranteed $40M, and if on the roster on the 5th day of the 2022 league year another $20 million becomes fully guaranteed. 

So yeah - they could cut him after this year. take a $6M hit but save $16M, then pay 4 & 2 the next 2 years, saving 18 & 20M respectively in 2023 & 2024.

My question is if they do cut him & he is signed somewhere else (which he almost certainly would be barring injury) will he be more or less valuable than McLaurin and whomever is throwing him the rock in 2022 & beyond. I don't think FitzMagic will last forever. 

And then I have to ask if there's a downgrade to AC in that situation, will it be worth a 1st round pick for the relative safety of McL staying in one place? It might even be an upgrade for AC to go to a team where he's the true WR1 without a Lamb breathing down his neck for targets. 

@Twenty-Four Eighty-Four - honestly though if you want to swap AC for McLaurin, I won't say don't do it. I just don't see why you'd want to give up a 1st rounder in that equation. Seems like an overpay by a lot.  AC & a 2023 3rd should do it, since it's almost an even deal with just the two WRs. Above I was musing with my own personal feelings about the 2 players mixed in, and I like AC. 

No need to give away a 2022 1st. 

If you like the player, go get the player. I just dramatically overpaid for Pittman with a 1st and 3rd, for a dude who's probably gonna have an ADP around 100 this year.

If you like the player, go get him. 

@Twenty-Four Eighty-Four - honestly though if you want to swap AC for McLaurin, I won't say don't do it. I just don't see why you'd want to give up a 1st rounder in that equation. Seems like an overpay by a lot.  AC & a 2023 3rd should do it, since it's almost an even deal with just the two WRs. Above I was musing with my own personal feelings about the 2 players mixed in, and I like AC. 

No need to give away a 2022 1st. 

If you like the player, go get the player. I just dramatically overpaid for Pittman with a 1st and 3rd, for a dude who's probably gonna have an ADP around 100 this year.

If you like the player, go get him. 
It's not my trade, just saw it go down. I have mixed feelings on the deal. One minute I like one side, another minute the other side. I appreciate your input!

It's not my trade, just saw it go down. I have mixed feelings on the deal. One minute I like one side, another minute the other side. I appreciate your input!
Ah, got it. You personalized it when you said you loved McL, so I made a poor assumption there. 

Basically I see them as equal assets. The slight age/health issues with AC are offset a bit by the team he's on and QB, so so gimme whichever side the 1st rounder is on. 

If you posted this as AC for McL + 2022 1.xx I'd be on the McL side of it. 

I love McLaurin too, but not for the price of Amari Cooper and a 1st.  Since you are not involved, I feel I can be pretted pointed with my opinion.  It is my strong belief these deals are what make and break a dynasty team.  I realize the first isn't guaranteed to be a high level guy, but probability is high.  It's like @Hot Sauce Guy said - a lot of factors would have to happen to substantiate this trade being a good deal.  Basically, it all boils down to Amari Cooper being traded to a bad team.  I don't see that happening.  

I am just jealous, because I can't move WR12 for a WR16 + a first round pick in my league.  

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Yeah, that was my gut reaction to this.

Add in the team factors I mentioned just now above (QB, coaching, defense) and I'm baffled as to how the 1st rounder got "tossed in" there for seemingly nothing. 
I totally agree.  A pick needed to be included but a late 2nd or a 3rd would have been sufficient.  Scary Terry is worth more than Cooper but not a 1st more.

12tm PPR, shallow rosters

Darrynton Evans, Gabriel Davis

FOR

22 2nd, 22 3rd
Davis worries me a little. they signed Manny Sanders & Josh Allen still struggles a bit with accuracy, likes to take off running & the Bills seem like they want to run more. 

Evans isn't really relevant unless Henry gets hurt, and Henry is seemingly made of living iron. 

I like both sides of this, depending on my team needs. If I were particularly WR-needy. It's not a bad deal, but with a shallow roster, carrying Evans could be a year-long bench-clogger unless he really has a role in the 2021 Titans offense. Too much lottery ticket upside to drop, but may never see your lineup. I've read reports suggesting that this could be a big year for him as a COP, but I don't see how if Henry is healthy. So with Evans it depends on how short that bench is. 

I dunno on this one. It's close. Really comes down to team needs. If I had a rebuilding team, I absolutely think these players are worth a 2nd & a 3rd. I think that's potentially a value. 

And if I'm a team where Davis is my 7th WR and Evans my 5th or 6th RB, and I don't have Henry, I could see getting the picks for them. 

So....fair deal, depending  on each team's context. 

Davis worries me a little. they signed Manny Sanders & Josh Allen still struggles a bit with accuracy, likes to take off running & the Bills seem like they want to run more. 

Evans isn't really relevant unless Henry gets hurt, and Henry is seemingly made of living iron. 

I like both sides of this, depending on my team needs. If I were particularly WR-needy. It's not a bad deal, but with a shallow roster, carrying Evans could be a year-long bench-clogger unless he really has a role in the 2021 Titans offense. Too much lottery ticket upside to drop, but may never see your lineup. I've read reports suggesting that this could be a big year for him as a COP, but I don't see how if Henry is healthy. So with Evans it depends on how short that bench is. 

I dunno on this one. It's close. Really comes down to team needs. If I had a rebuilding team, I absolutely think these players are worth a 2nd & a 3rd. I think that's potentially a value. 

And if I'm a team where Davis is my 7th WR and Evans my 5th or 6th RB, and I don't have Henry, I could see getting the picks for them. 

So....fair deal, depending  on each team's context. 
You’ve been at this a long time, how many backs have had 400 touches and not been injured the next year? I think it’s a good bet. At one point in time it was pretty predictable that backs with Henry’s usage would break down. Can he sustain that volume again this year? We will see. I’ll take Evan’s at COP value like I would pollard or Dillon or Gus simply because the lead back has had so much work and they need to spread that work out somewhere.

You’ve been at this a long time, how many backs have had 400 touches and not been injured the next year? I think it’s a good bet. At one point in time it was pretty predictable that backs with Henry’s usage would break down. Can he sustain that volume again this year? We will see. I’ll take Evan’s at COP value like I would pollard or Dillon or Gus simply because the lead back has had so much work and they need to spread that work out somewhere.
It’s true. We’ve all read the studies, & high touch backs historically break down. Don’t disagree at all. And I think the Titans were foolish to not utilize Evans more last year, though to be fair he looked lost out there at times. 

My challenge is that almost every time I’ve tried to predict when that would happen I end up with a roster clogger backup who lacks stand-alone value. 

like I said, i like both sides of this deal, and I definitely lean towards the players if the roster size can sustain it.

if we see true COP duties for Evans, it makes it a lot easier favor the player side in a short bench league is my only real concern. It actually becomes something of a bargain, especially if Davis is better than many experts are predicting.

It’s true. We’ve all read the studies, & high touch backs historically break down. Don’t disagree at all. And I think the Titans were foolish to not utilize Evans more last year, though to be fair he looked lost out there at times. 

My challenge is that almost every time I’ve tried to predict when that would happen I end up with a roster clogger backup who lacks stand-alone value. 

like I said, i like both sides of this deal, and I definitely lean towards the players if the roster size can sustain it.

if we see true COP duties for Evans, it makes it a lot easier favor the player side in a short bench league is my only real concern. It actually becomes something of a bargain, especially if Davis is better than many experts are predicting.
I agree except I think you’re discounting his stand alone value. It was a tough off season for rookies last year; I’m not holding looking lost against him. 
Davis had a solid showing and for dynasty I don’t consider sanders a long term block. Maybe he has to wait a year, but the talent is there imo. 

I agree except I think you’re discounting his stand alone value. It was a tough off season for rookies last year; I’m not holding looking lost against him. 
Davis had a solid showing and for dynasty I don’t consider sanders a long term block. Maybe he has to wait a year, but the talent is there imo. 
I think we agree on all counts. Sanders is also old as dirt, so he could also miss time this year. I'm actually sniffing around the Davis owner's roster to see if I might be able to buy while his value is a little bit depressed. 

I totally agree.  A pick needed to be included but a late 2nd or a 3rd would have been sufficient.  Scary Terry is worth more than Cooper but not a 1st more.
I'm guessing most McLaurin owners are not moving him for Cooper and a 3rd or even late second. I agree that adding a first to Cooper is probably too much but sometimes you bit the bullet and pay up to get your guy.

I'm guessing most McLaurin owners are not moving him for Cooper and a 3rd or even late second. I agree that adding a first to Cooper is probably too much but sometimes you bit the bullet and pay up to get your guy.
You’re probably right, but It still strikes me as an odd deal when you’re swapping receivers of near equal value &  going over the top with a 1st rounder tossed in.

Maybe the issue is that some people just don’t value draft picks very much. Or someone has way too big of a crush on Scary Terry. 

You’re probably right, but It still strikes me as an odd deal when you’re swapping receivers of near equal value &  going over the top with a 1st rounder tossed in.

Maybe the issue is that some people just don’t value draft picks very much. Or someone has way too big of a crush on Scary Terry. 
Or others are worried about Cooper's injury already and uncertain future in Dallas. A lot of factors (all of which we talked about earlier). But I agree a first may be too much.

12 Team, 1 QB PPR  Q,R,R,W,W,T,F,K,D

not involved

Team A   A Gibson and likely late 2022 1st

Team B  Herbert and likely early to mid 2022 2nd

This is terrible in 1 QB leagues.  Gibson is to valuable and at least the 1st should be on the other side with no pick going back with Gibson.
I see the players and the pics as relatively even.

I would probably rather have the Gibson side, but it all depends on if you think Herbert is an ascending talent. 

that’s a “sell high“ on Herbert for sure, but I don’t think it’s terrible value-wise

Herbert / Gibson deal is reasonable, but I would have rejected it if I had Gibson.  

Herbert had a good rookie year.  New HC/OC and Ekler was out most of the season.  This year could be very different, we just don't know and we can only extrapolate, ponder and speculate like everybody else.  

Herbert is a Top 5 Dynasty QB.  But Gibson is not a Top 5 RB.  But due to scarcity of the position, Gibson is more valuable in most formats (PPR).    

If the picks were swapped, I would call it fair.  But it is not out of the realm of a reasonable offer.  Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Herbert / Gibson deal is reasonable, but I would have rejected it if I had Gibson.  

Herbert had a good rookie year.  New HC/OC and Ekler was out most of the season.  This year could be very different, we just don't know and we can only extrapolate, ponder and speculate like everybody else.  

Herbert is a Top 5 Dynasty QB.  But Gibson is not a Top 5 RB.  But due to scarcity of the position, Gibson is more valuable in most formats (PPR).    

If the picks were swapped, I would call it fair.  But it is not out of the realm of a reasonable offer.  Value is in the eye of the beholder.
You are right as far as top 5 but much easier to replace Herbert than a borderline RB1 with upside and youth.  The pick just puts this over the top.  Plus, with the new HC/OC, there is a world where Herbert is NOT a top 5 QB this year.  I'm from Oregon so I like the kid but this is a big overpay to me.

2 firsts for a qb? I mean, thats what we are essentially talking about. Is anyone giving up 2 1sts for any qb in a 1 qb league? Maybe a couple? I mean, I dont think i could do it, but i guess someone out there would. I dont love it tho
It’s Gibson & 1 late first. Where are you seeing 2 firsts? Or are you calling Gibson a 1st? Hmm. 

for Herbert and an early 2nd. 

Maybe I don’t see Gibson being worth a 1st, so I don’t mind this trade. I don’t know what Gibson looks like long term, McKissic is going to siphon carries & grab 40-80 receptions. WFT worries me after this year as FitzMagic won’t play forever. And speaking of, RBs have a shorter shelf life than QBs.

Meanwhile Herbert is an ascending young talent. I could see someone wanting to pay this price to lock up their QB for the next 10+ years. 

I wouldn’t pay it, but I don’t think it’s totally egregious either. 

If the picks were reversed it would make it a little more palatable. It’s an overpay for Herbert, but he did just come off of a monster season. :shrug:

It’s Gibson & 1 late first. Where are you seeing 2 firsts? Or are you calling Gibson a 1st? Hmm. 

for Herbert and an early 2nd. 

Maybe I don’t see Gibson being worth a 1st, so I don’t mind this trade. I don’t know what Gibson looks like long term, McKissic is going to siphon carries & grab 40-80 receptions. WFT worries me after this year as FitzMagic won’t play forever. And speaking of, RBs have a shorter shelf life than QBs.

Meanwhile Herbert is an ascending young talent. I could see someone wanting to pay this price to lock up their QB for the next 10+ years. 

I wouldn’t pay it, but I don’t think it’s totally egregious either. 

If the picks were reversed it would make it a little more palatable. It’s an overpay for Herbert, but he did just come off of a monster season. :shrug:
Yeah, Im referring to Gibson as a 1st. I dont think there is a league format out there that he sells for < 1st or equivalent value.

Re: Herbert being good for 10+ years;

Yeah, maybe. Id even call it likely. But is his ppg so high above replacement that this price is justified? You can get Tanny for a mid 2nd, and just keep Gibson and your 1st, imo.

Don't read this is me hating on herbert, I agree with everything you have said about his skill. Just not sure his value is that high in a 1qb league. I guess if it were a weird scenario where Gibson was like your RB 5-6, some super stacked roster outside of the qb position, and a weekly stud qb puts you over the top, then....... I still dont add a 1st to gibson, but would prolly move him straight up.

I agree with your general premise on the deal, but I think Ekler coming back is a plus on his side. He’s a weapon in the passing game and not sturdy enough for a heavy workload runner.

I agree with your general premise on the deal, but I think Ekler coming back is a plus on his side. He’s a weapon in the passing game and not sturdy enough for a heavy workload runner.
TY, but I guess I was asking how many Rushing attempts will Ekler get to reduce the Passing attack?  Will a more balanced Running attack change the value of Herbert?  I think Ekler will get more carries to balance the Offensive scheme.  

Sorry but that is terrible value for Gibson. Herbert + a 1st would be fair
I don’t mean even. I mean fair. 

I said after it’s an overpay, & that the picks should be swapped. but I wouldn’t say it’s so out of kilter that the league should be up in arms about it.

a top 12 RB for a potential long-term starter at QB coming off a monster season?

It depends on the league & what other QBs are available. Or maybe dude just loves Herbert & that was the price. 

It’s not a deal I’d make, but it’s not outrageous either. 

It’s completely outrageous. Every team in the league should have 1-2 QBs that they feel like are capable of being a QB1, and you can still find weekly surprises on the waiver wire. 

Herbert is my pick to have a Baker Sophomore Slump, I’ve made a lot of hay over the years selling QBs at premium prices in these leagues and have never regretted it. 

It’s completely outrageous. Every team in the league should have 1-2 QBs that they feel like are capable of being a QB1, and you can still find weekly surprises on the waiver wire. 

Herbert is my pick to have a Baker Sophomore Slump, I’ve made a lot of hay over the years selling QBs at premium prices in these leagues and have never regretted it. 
Some leagues don't shake out that way though. In my league there's one team with 7 QBs and 2 teams with scrubs. The team with 7 hoards them unless they get deep & think they can make a run, then they peel one off for outrageous price, like the Gibson deal for Herbert. 

So maybe  it's outrageous, but it's also supply & demand. 

Some leagues don't shake out that way though. In my league there's one team with 7 QBs and 2 teams with scrubs. The team with 7 hoards them unless they get deep & think they can make a run, then they peel one off for outrageous price, like the Gibson deal for Herbert. 

So maybe  it's outrageous, but it's also supply & demand. 
I have had many guys over the years try the qb hoarding and it has never led to a profit.  Every time the guy spouts out at the draft "just wait until you need a qb and you will be coming to me" and every year he ends up with those qb's or he gives them away for nothing and he flounders with no decent WR's or RB's.  But he has tons of bench points.

I have had many guys over the years try the qb hoarding and it has never led to a profit.  Every time the guy spouts out at the draft "just wait until you need a qb and you will be coming to me" and every year he ends up with those qb's or he gives them away for nothing and he flounders with no decent WR's or RB's.  But he has tons of bench points.
Yep. That’s how it’s been the last 3 years - dude hasn’t made the playoffs & only managed to deal 1 lower tier guy (Fitz, IIRC) 

Seems like teams in need of a QB don’t want to deal with him.

I’ve made a habit of occasionally taking a 3rd QB when a value falls too far though. Not necessarily to hoard them, but they do make useful trade chips in redraft. 

Gibson is worth far more than Herbert straight up in most 1qb leagues, much less adding a 1st to the Gibson side.

ADP
Gibson 2.04
Herbert 6.07

Trade calc....

DTC
Gibson: 30.5
Herbert 16.7

DLF
Gibson 664
Herbert 246

I am all for going out and getting your guy but this is too large of a value gap for that unless it's a Zealots league or something where QBs have larger than normal value.  Like someone else said you could literally flip the 1st to the other side and leave everything else the same and the Gibson side would probably still come out on top in value. 

This is the equivalent of three 1sts for a mid QB1 in a 1 QB league which is insane.  You could get Mahomes+ for that kind of value in most 1qb leagues.  Heck Gibson goes a round ahead of even Mahomes in 1qb startup ADP.

Gibson is worth far more than Herbert straight up in most 1qb leagues, much less adding a 1st to the Gibson side.

ADP
Gibson 2.04
Herbert 6.07

Trade calc....

DTC
Gibson: 30.5
Herbert 16.7

DLF
Gibson 664
Herbert 246

I am all for going out and getting your guy but this is too large of a value gap for that unless it's a Zealots league or something where QBs have larger than normal value.  Like someone else said you could literally flip the 1st to the other side and leave everything else the same and the Gibson side would probably still come out on top in value. 

This is the equivalent of three 1sts for a mid QB1 in a 1 QB league which is insane.  You could get Mahomes+ for that kind of value in most 1qb leagues.  Heck Gibson goes a round ahead of even Mahomes in 1qb startup ADP.
Ok, sure well when you put it that way ot does seem kinda bad. 

Early 2nd going back the other way, which might only be a few picks from the late first,  but whatever, I’m not that high on either of these dudes & it’s not my trade, so I’ll just agree that it’s not a good deal.

Felt like it was closer at a glance. Maybe I’m just still not a Gibson guy. 

Ah, got it. You personalized it when you said you loved McL, so I made a poor assumption there. 

Basically I see them as equal assets. The slight age/health issues with AC are offset a bit by the team he's on and QB, so so gimme whichever side the 1st rounder is on. 

If you posted this as AC for McL + 2022 1.xx I'd be on the McL side of it. 
I love McLaurin as well... admittedly surprised by how close he and Cooper are in age.

Agree that a 1st seems a bit too pricey; but acknowledge that if I had a man crush on Terry and felt the QB situation was right, I might do that deal to get "my guy".

Yep. I would not move Gibson for Herbert and a 1st.
What if you were loaded at RB, had a rock solid team except QB (you’re the Watson/Luck owner who thought you were set for years) & Herbert was the only QB available?

You wouldn’t pay Gibson & a late first for Herbert & an early 2nd? 

/devil’s advocate 

Not being a fan of Herbert in general, no. If I want a QB to take my team over the top this season just my future 1st should be plenty to get someone serviceable with QB1 upside 

Users who are viewing this thread