What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (19 Viewers)

Fair deal. I have both players on my roster & while I value RoJo higher for long-term (at some point I believe he will have that backfield to himself, or as an early down back with a 3rd down guy in tow) I think Chase has the higher weekly floor for 2021. 

The 3rd rounder isn't great - I'd think Chase + a 2nd would be better, but it's decent value. 

Depends where my team is at. For 2021 I consider Chase a Flex back/ RB3 roster type & RoJo to be a weekly dart throw with RB2 upside, but Flex (or worse) value as his floor. 

So if the team getting RoJo has a long-term view in mind, it's a nice acquisition. If team getting RoJo is in win-now, probably better to keep Chase & hope he finally has the workload to become a dependable RB2/Flex.
Team A getting Rojo is at least a year away, which is why he did the deal. That would be me, too. I’m Team A. It’s a deal with the future in mind. The 3rd was thrown in for no-haggle purposes, and the trade wasn’t countered, which is good, because I wouldn’t have paid a two in addition. That would have broken the deal, actually. 

Yeah, Team A (me) was thinking of how good Jones looked last year running the ball and compared him to Edmonds, who really hasn't ever besides the Giants game back two years ago in the driving rain against a hapless defense. He was also thinking about Chase Edmonds sounding weird all off-season about his role and wondering if even he thinks he's up for the role. I read little bits from his interviews, coach staying mum, all that, as not a good sign for Edmonds. 

But that's not why I did it. Certainly wouldn't base it off of that. I did it because Jones is two years younger, is a free agent after this year, and runs well enough to be named to Bill Barnwell's top ten backs in the league, even if he came it at number eleven on the list (Barnwell must be doing a Spinal Tap version of his list of ten backs - but this one goes to eleven!). I liked how he ran and remember him breaking off tough runs for plenty of yardage. 

This is half PPR, so that's also a concern. Pass catching is not Jones's strength, and he graded out at 27% (yes, 27%) in PFF's passing grade. Perhaps I was a little hasty with this deal, but I wanted Jones over Edmonds as I like to bet on talent, too, though situation is certainly a concern in dynasty at RB. Just is. Has to be factored in. They have such short shelf lives. 

So that's that. That was the deal. I don't have many backs, so it does impact a lot, though. 

I did see it as impactful. 

And we crossed-posts...now I see that you are taking a long-term approach. So yeah - good deal for you. I'm a RoJo believer & see him as the better running back in the worse situation, while Chase has only opportunity going for him. And (to call back to my point in the last post) you only gave up a 3rd when a 2nd might have been a closer deal. 

So nice job - let's hope either RoJo gets the opportunity long-term with TB as a feature back, or moves on to greener pastures, where they might give him a chance. 

And to be fair about RoJo's hands, he wasn't as bad as some of the numbers & observers believe. I distinctly recall balls sailing  over RoJo's head when Brady was just getting his legs back early in the season, and a couple times he set up RoJo for brutal hits. On one such hit, they absurdly called it a catch/fumble (his legs never set & he never had control or made a football move) and they benched him the rest of the game. 

In season's past, RoJo has made some pretty nifty catches. If he gets a gig on a new team that actually gives him a chance, I think he'll improve as a receiver (numbers wise).  I think some of his bad rap is unfair. 

woodstock said:
Maybe I'm way off, but I think you need to know the guy's situation before judging him in a 2QB league. I don't think those leagues lend themselves to vacuum criticizing like we have to do here. 

He could be fading Dobbins heavily and Pittman currently has Eason throwing to him. In addition, the dude traded Tyrod Taylor, who might have been his second QB if people are hoarding, and then you've got the inklings of reasons to do the deal. 

That's my two cents on the matter.
You aren't wrong but when something gets posted here all we can do is give our two cents with the information we have.  On its face, that looks like a terrible deal.  I'm not a huge Wilson believer.  I don't have a problem giving that up for a QB but a Jets QB, that hasn't played a game yet isn't that QB.

woodstock said:
In case people missed it with the back-and-forth between HSG and smbkrypt24, here's a trade. 

Team A Gets: Ronald Jones 

Team B Gets: Chase Edmonds, 2022 mid-3rd or so
Chase is the starter there now most likely and Conner can't really stay healthy so I'd go that way even though RoJo is fine and this could just be a matter of preference.  They get the pick too though so I'd lean towards Edmonds but fair enough.

woodstock said:
Team A getting Rojo is at least a year away, which is why he did the deal. That would be me, too. I’m Team A. It’s a deal with the future in mind. The 3rd was thrown in for no-haggle purposes, and the trade wasn’t countered, which is good, because I wouldn’t have paid a two in addition. That would have broken the deal, actually. 
I will say for the future play, this was a good trade.  If trying to win this year, Edmonds probably is the play.  All your takes on the 2 players I agree with though.

You aren't wrong but when something gets posted here all we can do is give our two cents with the information we have.  On its face, that looks like a terrible deal.  I'm not a huge Wilson believer.  I don't have a problem giving that up for a QB but a Jets QB, that hasn't played a game yet isn't that QB.
Absolutely. Very true. We go with the information we have. I'm just trying to see both sides, I guess. Nobody was wrong in their assessment. Dobbins and Pittman are a steep price for Wilson. 

I will say for the future play, this was a good trade.  If trying to win this year, Edmonds probably is the play.  All your takes on the 2 players I agree with though.
Thanks. I'm waking up this morning and not regretting it, so that's a thing. A little more concerned about having fun via winning some games this year, though I know realistically I'm definitely a year away. Two guys have really strong rosters in our league. One has McCaffrey and Barkley and now Henderson to go with Diggs, the other has Henry, Kamara, Ridley, Tyreek Hill, David Montgomery, and Chase Claypool. One of the guys will not answer correspondence about trades and just stands pat unless he needs something (which is truly lame of a league-mate). But the rosters are 51 deep during regular and 60 during the off-season, so it's very deep and competitive. I'm swimming upstream right now. That's realistically too much for me to beat for even two years. 

I confused Barnwell for Doug Farrar, and by extension, ESPN for USA Today. I always confuse those two guys, though not the entities. It'll always happen. Sorry about that. 

Thanks. I'm waking up this morning and not regretting it, so that's a thing. A little more concerned about having fun via winning some games this year, though I know realistically I'm definitely a year away. Two guys have really strong rosters in our league. One has McCaffrey and Barkley and now Henderson to go with Diggs, the other has Henry, Kamara, Ridley, Tyreek Hill, David Montgomery, and Chase Claypool. One of the guys will not answer correspondence about trades and just stands pat unless he needs something (which is truly lame of a league-mate). But the rosters are 51 deep during regular and 60 during the off-season, so it's very deep and competitive. I'm swimming upstream right now. That's realistically too much for me to beat for even two years. 
Those are huge rosters.  Dang.  I thought ours was big at 22, 2 IR, and 15 Taxi (2 years for rookies only).  That 2nd roster you mentioned is way stacked.  Not regretting it is a big thing.  Buyer's remorse is real.

Those are huge rosters.  Dang.  I thought ours was big at 22, 2 IR, and 15 Taxi (2 years for rookies only).  That 2nd roster you mentioned is way stacked.  Not regretting it is a big thing.  Buyer's remorse is real.
My dynasty is 30, 35 in the offseason. 

On the one hand, it’s damn near impossible to find any bargains on the FA list (though I’ve had some occasional success there). On the other, it encourages trading. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Yeah, that's probably true. I've never played that format, so I don't really know enough to fairly judge that deal for a 16 tea, league. 

I just think it's pretty bad for the Wilson owner in a 12-team, even SF. And I am high on Wilson. 

tangfoot said:
Yep, and even worse in 10-team.

This is a 10 team 2 QB league so it's start 20 QB's every week.  I would assume that QB's are impossible to find (or trade for) without overpaying in a league of this type.  While I think it was an overpay it's not as bad as you guys are alluding to.

This is a 10 team 2 QB league so it's start 20 QB's every week.  I would assume that QB's are impossible to find (or trade for) without overpaying in a league of this type.  While I think it was an overpay it's not as bad as you guys are alluding to.
There's 32 starting QBs, obtaining one shouldn't be this expensive.

Like I asked in the comment above, what if people hoard? Our 1 QB league doesn't have QBs available at 51 per roster. We've debated this before, I think, to no satisfactory answer. Wilson might be that valuable, though it is a stretch. Jarwin in a 2TE premium swings the deal on the fulcrum, too. 

eta* It's still a bad trade. Almost awful, actually. But I can squint hard enough...maybe. No, not maybe. 

Last edited by a moderator:
But they are in these type of leagues.  Typically there are no starters available and most of the backups are also off the board.  The draft is really the only way to get a QB and highly touted draft picks (yes even Jets QB's) are gold at this stage of the season.  

It shouldn't be that expensive but it usually is.  Still not a trade I would make as it's not a win now trade.

ETA:  What I meant with the "win now trade" comment was that if I were to overpay that much for a player it would be if I was in a win now mode and that guy put me over the top.  That is clearly not the case with a guy that has never played a down in the NFL.  There is no way that is the piece that would put that team over the top to win now.  

But they are in these type of leagues.  Typically there are no starters available and most of the backups are also off the board.  The draft is really the only way to get a QB and highly touted draft picks (yes even Jets QB's) are gold at this stage of the season.  

It shouldn't be that expensive but it usually is.  Still not a trade I would make as it's not a win now trade.  
It depends on the scoring format, but my large leagues tend to treat QBs far more reasonably than this trade.  YMMV.

Jarwin vs Hurst is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.  Nobody wants to rely on either one of them in any format, including 5TE.
True. See my edit above. I think you guys are right and that the trade was bad. I'm just trying to see it another way. It's very difficult. 

I happen to like Wilson, but not enough. Even for 2 QB. I just think the vacuum thing could be real in this case, and Gally pointing out 2 QB isn't so off. It's different than Superflex, even. 

12 team PPR SF

Gave: Hopkins, Ekeler, Dillon

Got: Chubb, Kupp, Thielen, ‘22 1st, ‘22 2nd
I think this must be an equitable trade because I would have a difficult time giving up either side of those packages in a deal.  I think the Picks have me leaning more Chubb, but that would hurt either way to part with such players!  

Is a “Jets QB” some mythical beast? You’ve framed it that way a few times now. You do realize it’s a whole new coaching staff and Wilson is an individual that has nothing to do with Sam Darnold or Geno Smith right?

Is a “Jets QB” some mythical beast? You’ve framed it that way a few times now. You do realize it’s a whole new coaching staff and Wilson is an individual that has nothing to do with Sam Darnold or Geno Smith right?
I get that and I do like Saleh personally but I have also watched too many of the Sam Darnold, Geno, Sanchez, McCown, the corpse of Favre, Pennington, Testaverde, and others.  That is over 20 years and it doesn't get much better before that.  Bad organizations and the NY pressure means something and until I see something prove otherwise, I'll stay on this side of this argument personally. 

I'll let someone else try to convince themselves that a different coaching staff and a different player can fix that.  Heard the same arguments with Darnold.  You are right that they have nothing to do with each other but no thank you on bucking history and overpaying for a player at that.

I get that and I do like Saleh personally but I have also watched too many of the Sam Darnold, Geno, Sanchez, McCown, the corpse of Favre, Pennington, Testaverde, and others.  That is over 20 years and it doesn't get much better before that.  Bad organizations and the NY pressure means something and until I see something prove otherwise, I'll stay on this side of this argument personally. 

I'll let someone else try to convince themselves that a different coaching staff and a different player can fix that.  Heard the same arguments with Darnold.  You are right that they have nothing to do with each other but no thank you on bucking history and overpaying for a player at that.
There’s a lot wrong in this post but I won’t bog down this topic with it.

I will say that I could miss out on a player due to that thinking but I'm ok with that.  If Wilson really is special but I'd be willing to bet that it is more likely he is the next Geno Smith or Sam Darnold than he is A-Rod on that team.

I will say that I could miss out on a player due to that thinking but I'm ok with that.  If Wilson really is special but I'd be willing to bet that it is more likely he is the next Geno Smith or Sam Darnold than he is A-Rod on that team.
I couldn’t disagree more. Everything I’ve seen of Wilson says he should be a terrific QB, and I know his new coaching staff is top notch.

Losing Knapp recently to an unbelievable tragedy is likely to hurt his development a little,  but the talent is there.

The Jets have had some bad coaching & some bad luck, but I don’t think they’re cursed as a franchise. I bought on Wilson. That he’s on a team perceived to be bad at picking QBs just makes him a better value. 

I couldn’t disagree more. Everything I’ve seen of Wilson says he should be a terrific QB, and I know his new coaching staff is top notch.

Losing Knapp recently to an unbelievable tragedy is likely to hurt his development a little,  but the talent is there.

The Jets have had some bad coaching & some bad luck, but I don’t think they’re cursed as a franchise. I bought on Wilson. That he’s on a team perceived to be bad at picking QBs just makes him a better value. 
I don't fault you for doing so if he passes your eye test.  I'm a Niner fan so I like the coaching staff.  I just don't like going against history personally.  It has done me pretty well in fantasy to avoid Jets QBs, Lions RBs, and others that fall in that category.  He could be the outlier but I'd much rather take the chance on another QB if given the choice.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him in the right trade but definitely not with an overpay.  Wouldn't even consider it.

I don't fault you for doing so if he passes your eye test.  I'm a Niner fan so I like the coaching staff.
I’m also a Niner fan, so obviously I love his HC & OC. 

I just don't like going against history personally.  It has done me pretty well in fantasy to avoid Jets QBs, Lions RBs, and others that fall in that category. 
This is where you lost me. There is literally no history to go against. It’s a rookie QB with a 1st time HC & a very good OC.  And Saleh is a really, really good coach. 

Going against “the history” of the franchise seems a bit like missing the trees for the forest. 

He could be the outlier but I'd much rather take the chance on another QB if given the choice.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him in the right trade but definitely not with an overpay.  Wouldn't even consider it.
again, how would a rookie QB taken by a brand new coaching staff be an outlier?  That seems odd to me. 

Fortunately I didn’t over-pay. Wilson was part of a package. 

I’m also a Niner fan, so obviously I love his HC & OC. 

This is where you lost me. There is literally no history to go against. It’s a rookie QB with a 1st time HC & a very good OC.  And Saleh is a really, really good coach. 

Going against “the history” of the franchise seems a bit like missing the trees for the forest. 

again, how would a rookie QB taken by a brand new coaching staff be an outlier?  That seems odd to me. 

Fortunately I didn’t over-pay. Wilson was part of a package. 
And I said that I could miss out on a player by following that but has worked out in my favor avoiding Jets QBs in my 15 years of fantasy football.  A rookie QB that killed it would still be an outlier for the Jets.  Crap even their HOF QB in Namath threw way more INTs than TDs.

There are many ways to win in fantasy but I'll stick with staying away from Jets QBs and pay more for him in the future once it is proven.  Just not a risk I'm willing to make.  Trades and drafting in fantasy has a lot to do with risk/reward.  To me....there is too much risk there to be worth the reward.  Not saying it is impossible.

I don't fault you for doing so if he passes your eye test.  I'm a Niner fan so I like the coaching staff.  I just don't like going against history personally.  It has done me pretty well in fantasy to avoid Jets QBs, Lions RBs, and others that fall in that category.  He could be the outlier but I'd much rather take the chance on another QB if given the choice.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him in the right trade but definitely not with an overpay.  Wouldn't even consider it.

I'm sure avoiding Trevor Lawrence because of JAX's historical QB failures will work wonders for you.  And Josh Allen because BUF QB's have been a disaster since Kelly.  Oh and speaking of disasters stay far away from Mahomes too, that franchise has been a total disaster at QB so the positive coaching change can't possibly turn Mahomes into a good QB.

And I said that I could miss out on a player by following that but has worked out in my favor avoiding Jets QBs in my 15 years of fantasy football.  A rookie QB that killed it would still be an outlier for the Jets.  Crap even their HOF QB in Namath threw way more INTs than TDs.

I guess I’m missing what Joe Namath has to do with Zach Wilson. 

If avoiding Jets has worked for you, I won’t argue with that, but your supporting logic doesn’t really support it. 

I'm sure avoiding Trevor Lawrence because of JAX's historical QB failures will work wonders for you.  And Josh Allen because BUF QB's have been a disaster since Kelly.  Oh and speaking of disasters stay far away from Mahomes too, that franchise has been a total disaster at QB so the positive coaching change can't possibly turn Mahomes into a good QB.
I'd take Lawrence for sure.  His reward is worth the risk.  I wouldn't have drafted Allen when he came out no but never saw him in college.  I'd trade for him now and actually had him on a few redraft teams last year.

I feel people are too high on Wilson personally and I want no part of the Jets personally.  More power to you if you do.  I still feel that chances are more likely I am right than you are.

It is just more history with Jets QBs.  Obviously it isn't a for sure but just more of the same.  Only time will tell who is right but I feel people are too high on Wilson.
The pros:

• cannon arm

• high football IQ

• makes plays with his legs

• clear path to starting in his 1st year

• plenty of receiving depth

• creative OC

• Very decent OL

The cons: 

Plays for a team that had Joe Namath & Mark Sanchez?

I just don’t see it. And both Lance & Fields tend to go before him in SF dynasty, so I’m not seeing people as too high on him either. 

But I won’t argue with your gut feels. 

If Wentz was healthy I'd go with him over Lock who I'm not sure is even a starting QB and Julio but this is really close and probably take the 1st with Wentz' injury.
Just a quick side question, do you think this injury will linger and make Wentz more injury prone, not as good of a player? Does his overall injury problems scare you off now that he got hurt again?

Because it seems like he should be back sometime early in the season

The pros:

• cannon arm

• high football IQ

• makes plays with his legs

• clear path to starting in his 1st year

• plenty of receiving depth

• creative OC

• Very decent OL

The cons: 

Plays for a team that had Joe Namath & Mark Sanchez?

I just don’t see it. And both Lance & Fields tend to go before him in SF dynasty, so I’m not seeing people as too high on him either. 

But I won’t argue with your gut feels. 
He does have the arm you like and opportunity.  I'm not sold on that receiving core.  I like Lance way better even if he doesn't start this year.  I could see taking him over Fields though personally.

When I say too high on him, I'm more meaning some trades I have seen where real assets are being given for him.  I just wouldn't pay up for him at this point.  I want to see it first.

Just a quick side question, do you think this injury will linger and make Wentz more injury prone, not as good of a player? Does his overall injury problems scare you off now that he got hurt again?

Because it seems like he should be back sometime early in the season
I think things could start to become mental for him.  Especially if the Colts sign Rivers back or trade for Foles or another vet.  Plus, last time we saw Wentz, he was terrible.  Granted I expect more from him on the Colts.  I just think that trade was so close that the injury leaned it just the other way.  I don't have a problem with either side especially for the guy that has won back-to-back chips.

Lot of people are down on Wilson for the same reason Jonesin is. There's no reason he should sit at QB28 or so, yet he does. Until the Johnsons sell the franchise to an obviously good owner, or the Jets produce some wins, they'll be losers in peoples' minds. That won't change until somebody wins. 

I'm personally in on Wilson and skill players like Davis, E. Moore, etc. I think Davis is underrated. I think E. Moore is going to be what Cole Beasley and others wish he were (and was last year in PPR). I think Wilson will be an average (yes, average) fantasy starter given the coaches' love of the run and his talents. I predict he'll largely be a pocket passer despite some nice mobility that he displayed against easy teams and that his points in that respect will be few and far between. 

That's about it. Wouldn't fade the guy for his situation, but I can see where people would. Given that I think he's at tops an average fantasy guy, I might stay away, too. 

There are many ways to win in fantasy but I'll stick with staying away from Jets QBs and pay more for him in the future once it is proven.  Just not a risk I'm willing to make.  Trades and drafting in fantasy has a lot to do with risk/reward.  To me....there is too much risk there to be worth the reward.  Not saying it is impossible.
I think we should move on. This convo isn’t helping anyone.

Other historical avoids to add to your list: Bears QBs, Browns QBs, Ravens WRs, Bucs RBs
Jackson has killed it for the Ravens.  Doug Martin was good for the Bucs.  Brunell and Bortles had good seasons for the Jags, I'm pretty sure Cutler was even fantasy relevant at times for the Bears.

You are just taking shots because you disagree with me.  Do you if that makes you feel better.  I'm more than ok winning chips with no Jets on my team.  If you can't stomach it then feel free to draft them.

Jackson has killed it for the Ravens.  Doug Martin was good for the Bucs.  Brunell and Bortles had good seasons for the Jags, I'm pretty sure Cutler was even fantasy relevant at times for the Bears.

You are just taking shots because you disagree with me.  Do you if that makes you feel better.  I'm more than ok winning chips with no Jets on my team.  If you can't stomach it then feel free to draft them.
You do know you just proved his point for him. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread