What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (4 Viewers)

Due to a scheduling mix-up with Mrs. Eephus, we're attempting the rare two shows in two cities in one night exacta this Friday.

Solange at the Greek Theater in Berkeley (showtime 6PM)

Sparks at the Chapel in SF (showtime 11:30PM)

We also have SF Symphony tickets for the same night that are going to waste.

Also, seeing Paul Weller at the Fillmore on Sunday.

Saw the final three nights of the six show run by Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit at Ryman Auditorium in Nashville over the weekend.  Another set of great shows that helped unearth more layers in the words to his songs and the music that surrounds them.  The McCrary Sisters (local gospel artists) were the surprising cool openers on Sunday, with Amanda Shires and Lydia Loveless on Fri and Sat respectively.  But nearly 40 different songs over the 57 songs in three nights really showed the level this band is at and how the playing of the new album has evolved since we saw three at The Beacon Theatre in mid June.

It was a seat of the pants weekend, as we flew in without a locked-and-loaded hotel room or tickets for Saturday's show.  Unfortunately, the former was due to crazy prices downtown, so we ended up in Brentwood with a rental car.

Crazy, but now trying to figure out how to shoehorn Isbell show #20 (since April 2014) into the itinerary before the year ends.

Saw the final three nights of the six show run by Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit at Ryman Auditorium in Nashville over the weekend.  Another set of great shows that helped unearth more layers in the words to his songs and the music that surrounds them.  The McCrary Sisters (local gospel artists) were the surprising cool openers on Sunday, with Amanda Shires and Lydia Loveless on Fri and Sat respectively.  But nearly 40 different songs over the 57 songs in three nights really showed the level this band is at and how the playing of the new album has evolved since we saw three at The Beacon Theatre in mid June.

It was a seat of the pants weekend, as we flew in without a locked-and-loaded hotel room or tickets for Saturday's show.  Unfortunately, the former was due to crazy prices downtown, so we ended up in Brentwood with a rental car.

Crazy, but now trying to figure out how to shoehorn Isbell show #20 (since April 2014) into the itinerary before the year ends.
That's gotta be a special venue for fans and artists alike.

I saw Phoenix in Munich during our European adventure. They were so good. Setlist was great, new songs sounded even better live. They played 'Armistice' and everyone in the place went nuts like they were playing '1901' or something. They played a good number of older songs. I drank lots of Hofbrau.

Due to a scheduling mix-up with Mrs. Eephus, we're attempting the rare two shows in two cities in one night exacta this Friday.

Solange at the Greek Theater in Berkeley (showtime 6PM)

Sparks at the Chapel in SF (showtime 11:30PM)

We also have SF Symphony tickets for the same night that are going to waste.

Also, seeing Paul Weller at the Fillmore on Sunday.
Don't you go to bed at like 5:30PM though?  :pokey:

I saw Greta Van Fleet last night. They do show some promise. I enjoyed the show

I am taking my daughter and her friend to see The Frights on Saturday. I do not know to much about this surf punk band but I did download their albums and they are growing on me. My daughter says they sold the place out. I have never been to this venue. It is called the Rebel Lounge. Anyone from Phoenix been there? What should I expect?

Thinking of finally hitting up a Dylan show.  I’m not a huge fan - only considering going because he’s an icon.  Am I wasting money here or will I get a decent show?

Saw the Menzingers and then Deer Tick recently. Foo Fighters are up next and then Kenny Rogers (bought tickets for my parents and are taking them lol). 

Just a general comment but for "BIG" Indie rock acts, the market seems to be hitting a bit of a rut. I go on Stubhub and see 100-level tickets for under $40 for both the upcoming Arcade Fire (tomorrow) and LCD Soundsystem (~1 month away) shows at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. It probably also says something that I didn't immediately buy tickets for both of these. I've seen them both before but they both have new albums out as well and the LCD one is pretty good... Anyway, seeing the tickets going for so much below face value, it's so damn tempting to just pop for them and go ( @Steve Tasker  :bye: ) .

In the meantime, I have this lined up:

Nov 17 - The Elwins/Fast Romantics (local show)

Dec 9 - The National

Jan 5 - The Killers

Feb 18 - Frightened Rabbit

... right on pace for my usual one concert for month. 

How were the Menzingers?  Kinda liked the recent album and saw they are playing near me next month.
Really solid. It was the second time I've seen them. I like the new one as I think it's nearly as good as the prior two albums. They played the heck out of things and I heard everything I wanted to hear. They did a cover of 'Won't Back Down' as a tribute to Petty and everyone joined in. One of the better shows I've been to in a bit. 

Went to see Vundabar, Hockey Dad, and The Frights last night.

Pretty good show and I have a cool story. This was an all ages show and at 51 I was definitely in the minority age group. I took my 15 year old daughter and her friend. It was general admission and we made it early enough to be front row. Vundabar was was really good and I was enjoying myself. Hockey Dad I thought was not as good as Vundabar but they seemed to have a bigger following and the crowd definitely picked up on the pushing and shoving. I used to go to a lot of shows with mosh pits and what not but that was many years ago but so far I am cool.

The Frights hit the stage and holy #### the place goes crazy. My daughter is smaller and I really felt the need to protect her. The stage was about thigh level. I end up jamming my knee against the stage and attempt to form a protective bubble around her. It was crazy hard. Lots of thrashing,pushing,elbowing, people stage diving etc... Every time the crowd surged forward I would brace my arm on the stage monitor and the stage forming this bubble around my daughter.I was working my ### off. About 4 songs in my daughter turns to me and says "Dad I'm so sorry"

She was getting concerned. I just smiled and told her to enjoy the show. As this is going on I notice a couple guys stage side are pointing at me and laughing. They are drinking beers and just yucking it up. A few times I catch them filming. I figure they were roadies or something. I could see the set list and even though the show was great I was counting it down. I was really struggling to keep my daughter from getting knocked around.

So show ends and I'm beat to hell, my knee is killing me but I had fun and we stayed safe regardless of a few close calls. This place was small enough I told my daughter lets just chill and let it empty a little before heading out. While standing there I feel a tap on my shoulder and its one of the guys who was stage side yucking it up. He starts going on about what a monster I was and how hes never seen anything like that. He asks if that was my daughter in front of me. Just keeps talking about how cool I am.  I'm joking with him and hes calling people over saying this is the guy etc...... He then spends some time talking to my daughter, asking her if she knew what I was going through.

Guy offers to buy me a beer and we keep talking. Then he say's I'm Mikey's dad and we are setting up a festival in San Diego. Give me your name and number and I will put you on my list. So I'm like "Your the lead singers dad?" He says yeah. We keep talking and I ask if he could get his son to come out and talk to my daughter. He says yeah just hang out here for a bit and I'll make it happen.

Now this is currently my daughters favorite band and she loves this guy. My daughter and her friend are oblivious to most of this conversation. My daughter is kind of reserved and always asks how and why do I talk to so many people I dont know when we are out. I turn to her and her friend and say hey do you want to meet the band? They were both unbelieving but it happened. He came out talked with us for a bit, took some pictures, gave them a drum stick. Really nice guy. I jokingly said he almost got me killed with this crowd tonight and he was apologizing. They closed with Beastie Boys You gotta fight for your right and I mentioned how I remember seeing them when I was younger then him. He then apologized for killing that song. It was a cool time.

For at least 2-3 days I think I am the coolest dad around in my daughters eyes. I also texted his dad my name and number so we will see if we get an invite to this San Diego festival. I'm not sure what "I'll put you on my list" means but I'm willing to find out.

Funniest quote of the night from the singers dad who told me "I'v never seen any guy take it up the ### as many times as you did tonight"  :lmao:  

Forgot to say it was a super solid show. If I was thirty years younger with no one to worry about I would have been moshing. Nice to see young kids keeping rock and roll alive.

Tedeschi Trucks Friday night at the Orpheum in L.A.  Also bought tix to Kid Rock in Vegas for March 24th.  3rd week of March Madness.

Going to see Dead & Company in Boston on the 17th, amazing seats by buddy was able to grab so really looking forward to it.

Poptone in Tampa 11/30.  I will have seen them, Bauhaus (reunion), and Love and Rockets (Pixies opened).

Saw Guns N‘ Roses tonight, Milwaukee WI.  Overall I am very happy I got to see them live.  No opening act, they played 3 hours and 20 minutes.  Supposedly they haven’t played the Milwaukee area since 1991 so I had to go.  Not a perfect show (Axl’s voice at times)but I thought all of the music and Slash were very good.

went to the Band Together show last Thursday night in SF. left work late, parking was a nightmare, and got there in time to see full sets from Dead & Co. and Metallica. since this was a benefit show, with an eclectic lineup and crowd, it sounded like everyone had a good time. my thoughts on what i was able to see: 

- Dead & Co.: i'm not a GD fan, though i don't hate the music. my younger brother has been into "jam bands" - i.e. GD, Phish, etc. - for most of his adult life, and has tried actively to recruit me to this style of music. sadly, i'm a metal head, so it didn't take. basically, Dead & Co. (with John Mayer) played for 35 minutes straight without a break in between songs. i recognized "Scarlet Begonias," "Not Fade Away," and "Touch of Grey". the fans were really into them, as might be expected in SF, and pretty much everyone around us was on their feet and dancing for the whole set. as soon as they walked on stage, the No Smoking/Vaping policy went right out the window. they did play "Fire on the Mountain" which is a song i'd never heard, and seemed a little out of place considering the show was to benefit survivors of the North Bay Wildfires. a buddy who's big into Dead & Co. said it's a staple in their catalog and lyrically wasn't offensive. i'll take his word for it. the entire band is really talented, and musically i was entertained. i did finally figure out why i don't "get" this style of music: there's no crash cymbal. ever. i guess i need more cowbell? 

- Metallica: probably in my Top 5 favorite bands of all-time, and have seen them a number of times through the years. this was my wife's first time seeing them, and as a non-metal-type-person she "tolerated" it as best she could. i gotta say i was a bit disappointed in their choice of setlist, though i do understand this was not their "hardcore" fanbase in attendance. they started off great with "Hardwired," "For Whom The Bell Tolls," and "Fade To Black," and then it devolved into a Best Of The Black Album Fest, with "Master of Puppets" mixed in for good measure. and i do realize that the Black Album is what made them commercially viable (#ballads), and that's what this crowd was ready to hear. on the plus side, i got to whizz twice during "Nothing Else Matters" and "Unforgiven" and there were no lines at the restrooms. i guess hoping to hear "Seek and Destroy" was a bit too much. 

happy to have seen it in person, and good on the bands + events organizers for doing this. nice to see community come together. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Quint said:
went to the Band Together show last Thursday night in SF. left work late, parking was a nightmare, and got there in time to see full sets from Dead & Co. and Metallica. since this was a benefit show, with an eclectic lineup and crowd, it sounded like everyone had a good time. my thoughts on what i was able to see: 

- Dead & Co.: i'm not a GD fan, though i don't hate the music. my younger brother has been into "jam bands" - i.e. GD, Phish, etc. - for most of his adult life, and has tried actively to recruit me to this style of music. sadly, i'm a metal head, so it didn't take. basically, Dead & Co. (with John Mayer) played for 35 minutes straight without a break in between songs. i recognized "Scarlet Begonias," "Not Fade Away," and "Touch of Grey". the fans were really into them, as might be expected in SF, and pretty much everyone around us was on their feet and dancing for the whole set. as soon as they walked on stage, the No Smoking/Vaping policy went right out the window. they did play "Fire on the Mountain" which is a song i'd never heard, and seemed a little out of place considering the show was to benefit survivors of the North Bay Wildfires. a buddy who's big into Dead & Co. said it's a staple in their catalog and lyrically wasn't offensive. i'll take his word for it. the entire band is really talented, and musically i was entertained. i did finally figure out why i don't "get" this style of music: there's no crash cymbal. ever. i guess i need more cowbell? 

- Metallica: probably in my Top 5 favorite bands of all-time, and have seen them a number of times through the years. this was my wife's first time seeing them, and as a non-metal-type-person she "tolerated" it as best she could. i gotta say i was a bit disappointed in their choice of setlist, though i do understand this was not their "hardcore" fanbase in attendance. they started off great with "Hardwired," "For Whom The Bell Tolls," and "Fade To Black," and then it devolved into a Best Of The Black Album Fest, with "Master of Puppets" mixed in for good measure. and i do realize that the Black Album is what made them commercially viable (#ballads), and that's what this crowd was ready to hear. on the plus side, i got to whizz twice during "Nothing Else Matters" and "Unforgiven" and there were no lines at the restrooms. i guess hoping to hear "Seek and Destroy" was a bit too much. 

happy to have seen it in person, and good on the bands + events organizers for doing this. nice to see community come together. 
That was probably the worst show I've ever seen or heard by any Grateful Dead-related act ever.  I can understand if you didn't get it.    I can only imagine the Metallica fans there laughing at the performance  

As for Fire on the Mountain being "too soon" I think they were telling a story through their song selection. Pre-fire, then fire, then post-fire.  That was my impression once they did NFA and Touch of Grey (we will get by). I'll have to look at the entire set again.  

Last edited by a moderator:
That was probably the worst show I've ever seen or heard by any Grateful Dead-related act ever.  I can understand if you didn't get it.    I can only imagine the Metallica fans there laughing at the performance  

As for Fire in the Mountain being "too soon" I think they were telling a story through their song selection. Pre-fire, then fire, then post-fire.  That was my impression once they did NFA and Touch of Grey (we will get by). I'll have to look at the entire set again.  
you're right. i didn't think about it that way. 

Going to see Sammy Hagar and the Circle (w/Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham, and Vic Johnson) by the water in Clearwater tonight. Theyve been playing some Montrose, some Sammy solo stuff, Chickenfoot, some Van Hagar, and even a couple of Led Zep tunes. They've been closing with Zep's Rock and Roll.

I can't believe Sammy is 70 years old.

Went to see Chris Robinson Brotherhood this past weekend and can't say I enjoyed the show. For those that don't recognize the name Chris Robinson was the frontman for the Black Crowes. First few songs were great soulful rock (Robinson calls their music 'Cosmic California Music'). The rest of the set was too psychedelic and trippy for my tastes.

Recently saw 2 "newer" bands that were Fantastic...

1) Ripe Band - These kids all formed and graduated from Berklee Music school - I happened to be at 1 of their first shows in NYC where a lot of Music teachers and musicians attended - AWESOME FUNK - i really don't think you can see these guys and not like it !!!! I was blown away and laughing how I went to school for Finance, and these kids went to school for FUNK..... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UKnmcmao5Q

2) Twiddle - Jam Banders from Vermont - Bass player is a Top Draft pick... Great show with little let down. Pretty much guaranteed if your into Jam bands and extended songs, you have a great night at this show.... Added bonus is they are touring with "Taz" the kid from School of Rock - fun to see a kid up there jamming - and where the hell do you go from here - ripping late night jams as a 14 year old getting to play with so many greats....

LOL.... Haven't seen Zebra in 20 years... ENJOY!!!!  

Saw Poptone last night here in Tampa.  Awesome show.  They didn’t do any Bauhaus songs and just a couple Tones on Tail songs, but great nonetheless.  I have now seen Love and Rockets, Bauhaus (reunion), Peter Murphy, and now Poptone live.  I am lucky.

Got a few coming up next year - all old guys.

Dixie Dregs in Albany in March. Looking forward to this - going with a friend who's a real big fan. 

Frankie Valli in April locally. Hope he's still with us then. Wife is pretty stoked to see him.

ELO in August at MSG. Saw them last year at Radio City - was a great show, with a really enthusiastic crowd. Looking forward to seeing them again.

Will definitely get in a show or two at Bethel Woods (Woodstock 69 site) during the summer too

Recently saw 2 "newer" bands that were Fantastic...

1) Ripe Band - These kids all formed and graduated from Berklee Music school - I happened to be at 1 of their first shows in NYC where a lot of Music teachers and musicians attended - AWESOME FUNK - i really don't think you can see these guys and not like it !!!! I was blown away and laughing how I went to school for Finance, and these kids went to school for FUNK..... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UKnmcmao5Q

2) Twiddle - Jam Banders from Vermont - Bass player is a Top Draft pick... Great show with little let down. Pretty much guaranteed if your into Jam bands and extended songs, you have a great night at this show.... Added bonus is they are touring with "Taz" the kid from School of Rock - fun to see a kid up there jamming - and where the hell do you go from here - ripping late night jams as a 14 year old getting to play with so many greats....

LOL.... Haven't seen Zebra in 20 years... ENJOY!!!!  
Twiddle is a great band.  There is video floating around of Taz playing a Shakedown closer with them last month.  

The National Saturday night in Toronto - They went from 'Dark Side of the Gym' into a cover of 'Memories' (Leonard Cohen) and then back and it was one of the best things I've seen at a concert for a while.  

Saw The Jesus Lizard @ Metro Chicago this past Saturday night. They're doing a short reunion type tour. Mac McNeilly back on drums. The sound was excellent. Opened with ####, and within 10 seconds a 57 year old David Yow launched himself into the crowd. A bit of a belly and maybe a little less crazy, he still was great. Ticked off all my favorites; ####, Boilermaker, Monkey Trick, Mouthbreather, Thumbscrews, The ##### cover, Wheelchair Epidemic. A fun show to relive youthful memories.

The National Saturday night in Toronto - They went from 'Dark Side of the Gym' into a cover of 'Memories' (Leonard Cohen) and then back and it was one of the best things I've seen at a concert for a while.  
I see them tomorrow night in Chicago! I have to miss my daughter's first orchestra concert, but I explained that it's The National at Lyric Opera House.  I don't think she gets it yet. 

Line up:

Ed Sheeren

Phish plus after shows

JRAD

Taylor Swift

Pixies/Weezer

Wood Bros with John Schofield

JAZZFEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Lesh / Bob Weir RCMH

I was just compiling a list of all the shows that I saw over the past year.  2017 turned out to be a pretty good year of music for me. 

Run the Jewels
Kendrick Lamar
Jay-Z
Ice Cube
A Tribe Called Quest
Scarface
Vince Staples
Danny Brown
Tech N9ne
Brother Ali
Vic Mensa
Murs
Phantogram
Alt-J
Jim James
The XX
Bon Iver
Wilco
Death Cab
New Pornographers
Hall & Oates
Tennis
M. Ward
Langhorne Slim
Trout Steak Revival

And I’ve got tickets to see Big Boi at the Belly Up (a 450-person capacity venue) in Aspen in January.  Should be sick.  

I have tickets in February for Frightened Rabbit playing The Midnight Organ Fight in full with Wintersleep opening and I can't remember a concert I've been more excited for in the last bit...

Users who are viewing this thread