What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (1 Viewer)

Live and Counting Crows last night. First, Live should be headlining this tour. They brought the energy and the rock in their 75 minute set. The CC came on and put everyone to sleep for 105 minutes. Well, I assume it was for that long but we left early because it was such a total snoozefest.

I am unsure if Live will continue touring after re-uniting for this summer tour, but if they do and you liked them in the 90s, they are well worth seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hold Steady Saturday night was maybe a top 5 all timer for me. The last two times I saw them, they played Boys and Girls in America in full and while I absolutely love that album, I enjoyed this one more, never knowing what was coming next. The two new songs they played were the two best of the new ones they've released (Entitlement Crew and Confusion in the Marketplace). They hit some b-sides (Ascension Blues, Ask Her for Adderall)... and they did most of this early on in the show.

Then they leaned heavy on the first four albums and played just a ridiculously epic run of songs starting at Party Pit in the setlist below:

• Ask Her for Adderall
  • Sequestered in Memphis
  • Ascension Blues
  • Barfruit Blues
  • Banging Camp
  • One for the Cutters
  • You Can Make Him Like You
  • Entitlement Crew
  • Confusion in the Marketplace
  • Party Pit
  • First Night
  • Constructive Summer
  • Hot Soft Light
  • The Weekenders
  • Chips Ahoy!
  • Stuck Between Stations
  • Massive Nights
  • Your Little Hoodrat Friend
  • Southtown Girls
  • Slapped Actress
Encore

• Citrus
  • Stay Positive
  • Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night
  • Killer Parties
  •  

Northern Voice said:
The Hold Steady Saturday night was maybe a top 5 all timer for me. The last two times I saw them, they played Boys and Girls in America in full and while I absolutely love that album, I enjoyed this one more, never knowing what was coming next. The two new songs they played were the two best of the new ones they've released (Entitlement Crew and Confusion in the Marketplace). They hit some b-sides (Ascension Blues, Ask Her for Adderall)... and they did most of this early on in the show.

Then they leaned heavy on the first four albums and played just a ridiculously epic run of songs starting at Party Pit in the setlist below:

•  
That is a nice run of tunes after Party Pit.

Northern Voice said:

•  
The one song missing from that list is Resurrection. Not necessary for it to be an amazing setlist - because it is - but that would have sealed the deal.

Live and Counting Crows last night. First, Live should be headlining this tour. They brought the energy and the rock in their 75 minute set. The CC came on and put everyone to sleep for 105 minutes. Well, I assume it was for that long but we left early because it was such a total snoozefest.

I am unsure if Live will continue touring after re-uniting for this summer tour, but if they do and you liked them in the 90s, they are well worth seeing.
I said the same thing when I saw them in Vegas when Live first came out.  I don't think there is a group that can be so on/off as CC. It seems like when they open they put on a good show, but as a headliner they often suck.  

Live has such great energy.

Saw Ozzy last night  :headbang:

great show, Zakk had an incredible solo during War Pigs, came out in the crowd and just wailed for what seemed like 10 minutes.  Too bad my brother didn’t get seats on the other end of that section, was literally like 1 row in front of us but opposite end

Going to see Børns Friday night at the Ryman - only reason is I scored front row seats in the balcony.  They only way I go see concerts anymore.

Thinking about going to Sunday in the Country at Meriweather next Sunday.  The main acts are:

Brett Eldridge

Dan & Shay

Dustin Lynch

I don't love any of the acts (although I do like Dustin Lynch a lot).  But I do love Meriweather so if the weather is decent I'll probably go. 

Saw Tesla tonight at the Canyon Club. Not usually my jam but saw them opening for Aerosmith a few years ago so why not on a Thursday. Really fun. Been together 31 years. Did an acoustic set and the guitar playing was really, really good. Jeff Keith looks like he’s done 100 kilos of blow but he didn’t miss a note

Saw Tesla tonight at the Canyon Club. Not usually my jam but saw them opening for Aerosmith a few years ago so why not on a Thursday. Really fun. Been together 31 years. Did an acoustic set and the guitar playing was really, really good. Jeff Keith looks like he’s done 100 kilos of blow but he didn’t miss a note
Damn JS, I thought I had decently broad musical tastes and attended a lot of concerts. 

I’m seeing David Byrne shortly.  The opening band was interesting.  Tune Yards.

ETA:  David Byrne was freaking amazing.  This was the most unique show I’ve ever seen.  So much going on with all the performers on stage and highly entertaining.  They did 4 Talking Heads tunes and the rest was his solo stuff.  So awesome.  So glad I paid a little more to go to this show.  Totally worth it.

any Detroit area FBGs want tickets to see the Foo Fighters on Oct 15th?  I have 4 I can't use so thought I'd start here.  PM me in the next 24 hours.

I’m seeing David Byrne shortly.  The opening band was interesting.  Tune Yards.

ETA:  David Byrne was freaking amazing.  This was the most unique show I’ve ever seen.  So much going on with all the performers on stage and highly entertaining.  The did 4 Talking Heads tunes and the rest was his solo stuff.  So awesome.  So glad I paid a little more to go to this show.  Totally worth it.
Awesome.

I'm seeing him on Friday at ACL. The headliner that night is Paul McCartney. Really looking forward to it.

Smashing Pumpkins tickets are going on sale Friday. Its in a nice smaller venue. I am hoping to get a couple of tickets.

Mt. Joy tonight

Anybody catch these guys yet? 
*PREDICTION*

Within 5 years these guys will be huge. Playing big stadium shows, etc.

Music is great and was incredible live. Really really good. Do yourself a favor and check them out if they swing by near you.

*PREDICTION*

Within 5 years these guys will be huge. Playing big stadium shows, etc.

Music is great and was incredible live. Really really good. Do yourself a favor and check them out if they swing by near you.
I'll be in Austin next week and looks like these guys are playing a show between the two ACL weekends.  May check them out.

Saw The National last Saturday in NYC at Forest Hills.  Never listened to them before, free tickets from the venue which I only took because Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit (a dal_boys_phan favorite) was the last opener before The National took the stage.  Not sure if they are not my cup of tea or if I was still peeved that we missed 1/2 of Isbell’s set due to “delays” getting there, but I didn’t walk out of there thinking I need a second helping of The National.

The venue though was fantastic - nice small footprint, great sound.

Going to try to catch them in Cincinnati in November.
Really like them.  We may have to drive up to up to Greensboro NC instead the day before.  It seems no one under 18 allowed at the one in Greenville SC.  Times have changed I guess.  Never use to have age restrictions at concerts when I was a kid.  Also when I was 17 I would not have been caught dead at a concert with my Grandfather. Sure am glad that doesn't bother Rain cuz her Grandma doesn't do concerts anymore and I would be going alone.

Saw Idles on Monday night and was just blown away. Never had heard of them before this week until a friend invited me out. British working-class kind of punk that sounded great and has lyrics that covers a broad range of topics and emotions. Loved some of the messages in them  - "If someone talked to you the way you talk to you, I'd put their teeth through - Love yourself!" Don't get me wrong - there is definitely some of the dark stuff in there - but some positive stuff to balance it out as well.

These guys are fantastic live, especially in a small venue. The frontman is really intense and brings it.  Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CzNOD7ukMA&index=3&list=RDVODKZxsRa_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQG6_evFc8&list=RDVODKZxsRa_E&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWM6jyQ0JFs (wait for it)

Looks like a few dates left on their West Coast tour -

10/5 Portland

10/6 Seattle

10/8 - SF

10/10 LA

10/12 - Perris, CA "Desert Daze"

Smashing Pumpkins tickets are going on sale Friday. Its in a nice smaller venue. I am hoping to get a couple of tickets.
Left my wife in charge of getting tickets and she let me down. I kind of thought this would sell out but not as fast as it did. I am going to have to see if I can pull a few strings to get in.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Left my wife in charge of getting tickets and she let me down. I kind of thought this would sell out but not as fast as it did. I am going to have to see if I can pull a few strings to get in.

Grrrrrrrrrr
Bought a ticket today to see them at the Mesa Ampitheater on December 7th. First time seeing them.

Come on up to Mesa on Friday. Still on sale. 

https://mesaamp.com/Online/seatSelect.asp

Anyone been to Phish recently? Never been, wondering if the scene is still as nuts as it was 20 years ago?

Saw Courtney Barnett last night. Wow. Gorgeous night at the Greek which In my opinion is the best venue in So Cal to see a concert. Acoustics of being built in a natural, tree filled amphitheater are unmatched. Even better than the Hollywood Bowl. 

Loved her. On her slower stuff she has an easiness of a Sheryl Crow, but with an accent. But then she absolutely rocks. Something about left handed lead guitar players. Highly recommend seeing her live       

Was fortunate enough to win a few tickets in the email lottery for LA Phil 100 at the Hollywood Bowl concert last Sunday evening.  Such a great time.  The Marquez piece they played was great, not as big a fan of the Desenne piece they premiered.  Then they played Berceuse and Finale from Stravinsky's The Firebird, which gave me goosebumps.  Such a wonderful piece of music.  Then Kali Uchis, a singer I knew nothing about, came out and demonstrated a great, soulful voice.  Pleasantly surprised with her.  Then Herbie Hancock came out and performed a long jam of Rockit with the Phil backing him and his band.  Katy Perry was the final performer of the evening and worked well with the orchestra.  Then, conductor Gustavo Dudamel told the audience that, while it was an amazing day of music (8 miles of streets from Disney Hall to Hollywood were closed off for 7 hours to set up 6 different music 'hubs' throughout the route, with all manner of music and dance performances going on during that time), the show needed "just one more thing."  So he brought out John Williams, who conducted the orchestra as they played the theme to Star Wars.  An epic way to end the day.  So much fun.  

Went to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in Golden Gate Park last Sunday with the wife and kids.  Camped out at one stage only.  Saw Vetiver, Darlingside, Aaron Lee Tasjan, and Nick Lowe's Quality Rock & Roll Revue with Los Straitjackets.  Vetiver was too mellow.  Darlingside talked in between songs too much but I liked their sound.  I don't remember much of Aaron Lee Tasjan other than that I liked him.  And Nick Lowe/Los Straitjackets got the sun-drenched, liquored-up, half-baked crowd on their feet.  Had a great time.  It was a beautiful day in the City.  The Blue Angels were flying overheard as well, so that was cool to see them do some of their air show.

The beauty of music is you never know when an act comes along that blows you away. It’s rare. Probably the last one for me was when I saw the Tedeschi Trucks band for the first time. 

Tonight I went with about 15 people to see Jackie Greene at the Fonda on LA. They were all big fans already and I was the virgin. Man this dude is a badass. Band was unreal.  If you get a chance to see him - go. Huge talent that at times sounds like blues, then with the horn section can sound like Earth Wind and Fire, can rock hard, etc. Very cool voice and stellar on guitar, keyboards and harmonica. Finished with a Grateful Dead song as the encore and killed it. 

Has anyone seen the Record Company live? I do like their music. They are coming to town but its a work night and I am not getting any younger. I was wondering if it is worth the pain and suffering of working the next day?

Has anyone seen the Record Company live? I do like their music. They are coming to town but its a work night and I am not getting any younger. I was wondering if it is worth the pain and suffering of working the next day?
Saw them open for My Morning Jacket last year, so it was only maybe 45 minutes or so.  Thought they were great.

The beauty of music is you never know when an act comes along that blows you away. It’s rare. Probably the last one for me was when I saw the Tedeschi Trucks band for the first time. 

Tonight I went with about 15 people to see Jackie Greene at the Fonda on LA. They were all big fans already and I was the virgin. Man this dude is a badass. Band was unreal.  If you get a chance to see him - go. Huge talent that at times sounds like blues, then with the horn section can sound like Earth Wind and Fire, can rock hard, etc. Very cool voice and stellar on guitar, keyboards and harmonica. Finished with a Grateful Dead song as the encore and killed it. 
Gone Wanderin' is a great song

Users who are viewing this thread