What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (2 Viewers)

I went to the Merlefest this past weekend and it was great. Here a few artists I'll make a short comment on that I saw:

Chatham County Line - I've seen them many times, and they are great every time I see them.  They played on three different days at the festival.

Junior Brown - This guy can play the hell out of a guitar. 

Wynona and the Big Noise -  I knew a couple of her songs from The Judds, but still didn't know much of her music. She was great. She was funny and joked with the crowd a lot. She has a strong voice. Her style varies. She did some bluesy jazz numbers, folk country, gospel, and country rock. She is very good live.

Ashley Heath and Her Heathens - She has been around for a couple years now, and hopefully getting more exposure.  She and her band is a blend of soulful Americana with some bluesy guitar sounds, and she has nice voice. I enjoyed their set.

American Aquarium -  Another band I hope is getting more exposure. I guess I would say they are alternative country. 

The Black Lillies - They are always good. I wish the female was still in the band, cause I thought they were at their best with her in it.

Driftwood - This NY band always delivers a great show. They are a bit of indie, folk, country, and old timey. 

Milk Carton Kids -These guys have a Simon and Garfunkel vibe about them. They were good.

Amos Lee - He is great live. His combination of folk and soul is so enjoyable. At times it sounded like he had a band backing him up, but it was just him and his guitar. He was fantastic.

Tyler Childers - I wasn't familiar with this guy, but man was he great. There is definitely a Sturgill Simpson influence in him, which makes sense since Sturgill co-produced his album. Catch Tyler live if he plays near you.

Aztec Sun - This is a funk/soul band, and they were fun. You can't help but dance to this group. I hope they come back next year.

Hillside Album Hour - Every Saturday of the festival, The Waybacks perform a classic rock album in its entirety with a guest singer. This year they did Led Zeppelin IV, and Sarah Dugas was the guest singer. It was fantastic. Here is a clip of Going to California.

Keb' Mo' - He was great and fun. He has a good sense of humor.  

Brandi Carlile -  She was terrific.  She sounded great, and she was also good with the crowd, and not just telling jokes, but telling stories about herself.  She was very likeable.  Scott and Seth Avett joined her on stage to do Murder in the City, which was cool.

Yarn - It is always fun to groove to Yarn. They always bring the energy.

The Del McCoury Band - It was Del McCoury's 80th birthday celebration. I love him. He is a great musician, and I love his banter. His sense of humor reminds me of my great aunt Mildred.

Steep Canyon Rangers - They are always great. The Governor of NC introduced them on stage, and reiterated that 2019 is The Year of Music in NC, where the state is recognizing North Carolina's influence on America's most important musical genres and to celebrate, support and sustain the state's strong music heritage. The Steep Canyon Rangers covered songs and spoke about many North Carolina musicians from times past that have been big influences in music.  I loved Blue Monk that they did by Thelonious. 

The Avett Brothers - They are also always great and a lot of fun. They closed out the festival.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Kelsie Ballerini 2 weeks ago in Salisbury Md, and Maren Morris last Thursday at The National in DC.

Kelsie was pretty meh actually, think I'm done going to her shows for a bit.  Maren Morris on the other hand was fantastic.  Energetic, into it, with some really great songs on her latest album.  I'll definitely go see her again.   

2 upcoming shows for me: 

Whiskey Myers at The Machine Shop in Flint in July

Social Distortion with Flogging Molly in September - never thought I'd see these two paired together, two of my favorites

Just returned from New Orleans and Jazz Fest...spent 13 days in the Crescent City eating food and listening to music. Some highlights:

First night went to Foundation Gala and had a lot of food and an open bar - maybe not the way to hit the first night. Good music sets from Kermit Ruffians and a tribute to Louis Prima by his son and daughter. I Ain't Got Nobody a crowd pleaser.

First day at fest may have been the best - hard rain delayed opening but found some places to hang in tents while it rained. Finally broke as Doobie Brothers were getting started - headed out to main Acura Stage and Doobies played some great songs - Ukiah and then all the hits - Black Water in New Orleans was a real treat. That s one of the great songs about New Orleans. Doobies finished and the next band was the Elements - Earth, Wind and Fire. I've seen them untold number of times - I'd have to take some time to count them out but I'm guessing in the 15+ range. This is 4th time at Fest. Not many better bands out there live and I've seen them all. Phillip Bailey was in great form - Verdane and Ralph true showman - turned a rainy day into sunshine and a Boogie Wonderland. 

After fest headed to NOLA Brewing and a cool show there with Luther Dickenson, Jonathan Boogie Long, Tony Hall, Terrance Higgins and John Medeski. On site they had crawfish served by our own @tipsy mcstagger. He was working hard but we had a few minutes to talk - and reminisce about the first Jazzfest I met him at - some 7 years ago maybe. It was before his restaurant opened and he was doing pop ups - first one was at Rusty Nail. He had a coworker that was there from Southern Illinois where I grew up so we had a nice conversation also. Music? Effing A - this show was underrated but really delivered.

Friday - Santana and Tab Benoit were great at the fairgrounds - maybe best show was Bonerama who have a new record out of Led Zeppelin tunes - all done the Bonerama way. Mark Mullins son and Matt Perrine's son came on and added some hard rocking to the show it was great to see the proud dads enjoy it. Foundation of Funk was good but troubled by poor sound - a reoccurring theme - the worst sound board mixes I've every seen in many Jazzfest took place over the 2 weeks.

Saturday highlight was the Midnite Disturbers and always is each and every Jazzfest - it's the all star lineup of horn players with Stanton Moore backing them up on drums. Roger Lewis killed it on baritone sax. Ended day at Boz Skaggs who had a good set.

Sunday was a tough day to get a groove going - O'Jays were great but damn the Louisiana sun was hot-hot-hot. And Klezmer Allstars were against Van Morrison - we hit about half of Klezmer to get another Staton Moore fix and then caught end of Van the Man - not sure what to say - it actually was a better set than the last 2 times I've seen him. But damn he is nearly mailing it in - IMO. He needs to find some young killer band to light a fire under his ###. His current band is great players but it's near Vegas lounge territory. 

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday - attended the great NOLA Crawfish Festival put on by Chris Shaggy Davis - The NOLA Crawfish King. 3 great nights of music. Great MashUp bands. Highlights were Billy Iuso/Dave Malone and George Porter Jr with Terrence Higgins - nice Spanish Moon, Morning Dew and Lovelight. Neville Jacobs band had Theresa Anderson join them - did a great Baby Don't do It. "You know I've been lovin you too much". 2nd night had a supergroup of Eric Krasno and George Porter, Ivan Neville that rocked. Krasno is one of my favorite guitar players- joining them as special guest was Markus King and that young boy can play guitar. 3rd night had Anders in an acoustic show followed by Samantha Fish and Jonathan Long - I've seen Samantha about 7-8 times now. This may have been her best one. Go see Jonathan Long as well - Baton Rouge good ol boy guitar gunslinger. And ate plenty of Crawfish - plates and plates of it.

Thursday back at fairgrounds on "Rolling Stones" day - which of course got all fubar'd up. Saw Anders this time electric. A Bit of Samantha Fish again. Big Sam's Funky Nation and 101 Runners. Finished the day off with Tom Jones. Still the man - catch him now before he goes away people. Fanastic Set - very nice "Mama Told me not to Come"

On Friday - Wandered around a bit. Caught Chris Stapleton who was really good - not my thing but at least his country doesn't sing about drinking beers and gettin it on down by the bonfire ####. It's real country and I like that stuff. Saw North Mississippi Allstars - and Anders joined again - along with his old longtime bass player Carl Dufrene. Went to Blues tent and finished day with Los Lobos. Saw Helen Mirren.

That Friday went to best night show of our stay - my wife was cracking late on Friday and we had to hustle from fairgrounds to Music Box Village - with a quick bite for food in between. She was struggling but when we got in the Village it was magical. Ghost-Note was playing along with Nigel Hall and others and the village is this crazy place like you would have built as a kid gathering up scraps and turning it into a fort/treehouse. Drummers are in the trees. Guitar players are in the treehouse. Horn section is scattered. Back up Singers in a birdcage like thing. They mix the sound in surround. Beautiful lights. And you walk into the middle of it or hang in one of the treehouses. We moved around and found ourselves right down in front of this young girl working with Ghost-Note and she ripped off about a 30 minute "Rock Steady" - with Nigel Halls backup singers. OMG - one of the funkiest good times I've had. Had some guys rapping later - it was insanely good. And damn - my wife really turned it around and had a great time. Go see Ghost-Note if you have a chance.

Saturday at Fest got delayed with rain again - but I caught Galactic. They were playing great but Dave Matthews fans suck - they talk the entire time - all the time about stupid ####. Vibe was hard to enjoy. Got out of there and then headed over to Aaron Neville - again not too many times left to catch him. Idiots are talking during Change Gonna Come and Amazing Grace - really people WTF? Wish people would head to shows to LISTEN. You should be able to keep your mouth shut for about 40 minutes. Then talk during set breaks. Aaron did a great Midnight Rider - his voice is one for the ages. The next performer was the incredible Miss Diana Ross. I went in not knowing what to expect and she killed. I've seen few performers enjoying themselves as much as she did - first 30 minutes was a Supremes song one right after another. Crowd going crazy - singing along. About 5 costume changes for Ms. Ross. maybe more. She kept moving on through the career. Upside Down Inside Out Round and Round. Finished with Aint No Mountain - with every one singing along and she was beaming. 

Last Sunday of Fest was a bounce about - George Porter, Jon Cleary, Little Feat, and then ended with the Mavericks - all in all a great day. Not a bad fest for the 50th - wish the sound had been better. Except for two rain delays some great weather - cool and low humidity for the most part. This was our 9th - if you ever are thinking of going hit me up I'll be happy to share tips and pointers to enjoy it.

Nitzer Ebb is Monday night without it’s lead singer and another member due to visa issues.  Thanks Trump.  I’m skipping it. Joe Jackson is next. 

Not a country fan but saw Garth Brooks at US Bank Stadium last weekend.  I brushed up on his stuff so I would be familiar with it.  Thought he did a good job, but a couple of things he did annoyed me:

• Insisted on referring to his current location as "St Paul-Minneapolis" every time he said it, ie, "I always love coming to St Paul-Minneapolis!"  Or "St Paul-Minneapolis is rocking tonight!"  I get that either he is trying to be inclusive of the Twin Cities metro area, or he's not sure which city he's actually in, but it was annoying.  People usually just say St Paul or Minneapolis in the obligatoy shout outs, and in all the concerts I've seen I only recall them referring to the wrong city once.
  • He went on and on about what a great crowd it was.  Again, I know every performer does this, but it was to an extreme level, even saying it was better than the crowd the night before (at the same venue).  He said it was the greatest concert he had been a part of in ten years.  He then went on to play five fewer songs than he did the night before.  Couldn't have been that great if you didn't give them as good of a show as you just did the night before.

Nitzer Ebb is Monday night without it’s lead singer and another member due to visa issues.  Thanks Trump.  I’m skipping it. Joe Jackson is next. 
gb saw the joe jackson tour here in NYC in the last few months... said it was great. big fan.

I'm not the oldest person here!

Fontaines DC pretty good...crowd into it. Edibles consumed. Ready for 10 points for griffindor...ah-uh
show was fun. it was *cough-cough* well done

I had a great spot on the floor for FONTAINES DC- off center and pretty close. when IDLES started up, the entire middle turned into a moshpit and I found myself head-butted in the first 5 seconds and further back/wide (where the video is filmed from) from where I started within the next 5 before I knew what had happened. still good spot. and not so much head-butting. 

I think I've seen live clips of them so many times, seeing them live lost a bit of the splendor of youth. but fun to see the guitarist in skin tight american flag leggings/yoga-pants and fun to see some of the banter. both guitarists went into the audience a couple times, also cool. was disappointed that the bass-player was parked in front of his vocal mic back next to the drummer, which was mostly behind singer/guitars for me... so didn't get to see much of him. drummer was/is insane on the skins. 

I'm not the oldest person here!
  :lmao:  I think we're about the same age. I do this at every show. 

I challenge my concert-going buddy, @The Andalusian Dog(who is only 2 years younger), to not find someone obviously older than me.  Hasn't happened yet. Luckily, there is a Salt Lake City resident who is clearly at least 5 years older than I am who appears to have very similar musical tastes to us because we see him at most shows.

How was that IDLES show? (Ha!  You beat me to it by 1 minute)..

I challenge my concert-going buddy, @The Andalusian Dog(who is only 2 years younger), to not find someone obviously older than me.  Hasn't happened yet. Luckily, there is a Salt Lake City resident who is clearly at least 5 years older than I am who appears to have very similar musical tastes to us because we see him at most shows.

How was that IDLES show?
just posted about it above...

How was that IDLES show?
just posted about it above...
Speaking as that guy at the show who's obviously older that you, there's no point in tripping about it.  I'll definitely not the be youngest again and probably never was the coolest to begin with, at least I can still aspire to be the oldest, which is cooler than nothing :shrug:

This week:  Foxing on Wednesday and Mahler's 7th on Friday

Next week:  Killing Joke on Monday and IDLES on Saturday.

I know I won't be the oldest person at the symphony.  I probably won't be oldest at Killing Joke either although I'm three days older than Jaz Coleman.  I'll take my chances on the other two shows.

Speaking as that guy at the show who's obviously older that you, there's no point in tripping about it.  I'll definitely not the be youngest again and probably never was the coolest to begin with, at least I can still aspire to be the oldest, which is cooler than nothing :shrug:

I know I won't be the oldest person at the symphony.  I probably won't be oldest at Killing Joke either although I'm three days older than Jaz Coleman.  I'll take my chances on the other two shows.
where is IDLES playing? at the Kabuki? sigh. 

Not tripping about it or worried about being uncool  Just a fun game we play at shows.  He and I are usually among the oldest :)  .

The guy who looks older than me is a dead ringer for Eric Faulkener from the Bay City Rollers.  I hope he keeps coming to the shows too.

Not tripping about it or worried about being uncool  Just a fun game we play at shows.  He and I are usually among the oldest :)  .

The guy who looks older than me is a dead ringer for Eric Faulkener from the Bay City Rollers.  I hope he keeps coming to the shows too.
I'm enjoying reading this back-and-forth. I'm also getting up there, but also really don't sweat it other than the clear physical limitations that have beset me in middle age. 

just got this news... some of you from the other music threads might remember that my non-IDLES favorite band is Parquet Courts and that floppinho- who I've linked playing music with his chapter of School of Rock- was part of the kid's chorus doing backing vocals on one of the songs off their last album, Wide Awake ("death will bring change"). 

wife calls me (while I'm in the middle of a meeting) to tell me that the band wants the kids to sing with them in central park summer stage on june 8th. :excited:  

still in the working-out stages of it all- but would be pretty ####### great if this happened.

Taking my 8 yr old daughter to Pentatonix on Sat for her birthday.  Rachel Platten will open.
Good show at Oracle Arena, enjoyed the entertainment.  What made it a great night was being asked to go from our upper section reserved seats (row 3, so not nosebleeds) down to the pit.  What an awesome experience!

Been doing the Hold Steady weekends since they started a few years ago:  Brooklyn in '16, Chicago in '17, then Philly last year.  Mrs. Scorchy and I decided on Nashville this year - 3 nights plus soundcheck (which is always a blast) on Saturday.  Never been to Nashville, so looking forward to a great weekend.

Just saw Dimmer Twins with @JZilla in Portland last week.  Tix to Mountain Goats in July and Ex-Hex in September (both in Baltimore).  

I really liked their vocals and musicianship but they need to do something about stage presence. 
agreed.  I saw them towards the end of 2018 and was disappointed.  they took all of their 4 minute songs and turned them into 8 minute songs with a bunch of boring filler in them.  I love their studio work but was by far the most disappointing show I saw last year

Been doing the Hold Steady weekends since they started a few years ago:  Brooklyn in '16, Chicago in '17, then Philly last year.  Mrs. Scorchy and I decided on Nashville this year - 3 nights plus soundcheck (which is always a blast) on Saturday.  Never been to Nashville, so looking forward to a great weekend.

Just saw Dimmer Twins with @JZilla in Portland last week.  Tix to Mountain Goats in July and Ex-Hex in September (both in Baltimore).  
Watch out for scooters and drunk bachorelette parties.

agreed.  I saw them towards the end of 2018 and was disappointed.  they took all of their 4 minute songs and turned them into 8 minute songs with a bunch of boring filler in them.  I love their studio work but was by far the most disappointing show I saw last year
Hmmm. Maybe I wait a year or two...

my tinnitus is really going to be the end of seeing shows- even with earplugs. :kicksrock:

a show on friday I won't have to worry about in that regard... floppinho's 6th grade class recital. 1 flute, 1 viola, 1 clarinet, 1 ultra-super-handsome-talented-brilliant percussionist, 5 violins, 5 pianos. 

all individual performances as the school is set up that way, not for ensembles. I think floppinho is on drums (not a kit) and marimba. the piano and violin kids are ridonculously good- like, already touring and playing places good. looking forward to it. and because percussion is only introduced in middle school, most of the kids- who are clearly super competitive with each other in the same instrument- seem to actually enjoy hearing something new. 

his radiohead final show is the beginning of June. really looking forward to that based on the little I saw at the midseason show.

also still fingers' crossed for him getting to sing with Parquet Courts at Summer Stage in Central Park on the 8th. 

my tinnitus is really going to be the end of seeing shows- even with earplugs. :kicksrock:
Killing Joke last night was the loudest show I've been to in a while.  We were up front at the foot of the stage in a small venue (Capacity 500-600).  Killing Joke's drummer Paul Ferguson plays a big kit so the opening act was forced to set up their drums downstage right, which was about a yard from where we were standing.  It makes you appreciate why some acts put their drummers inside a plexiglass cage.  I had earplugs in but I could feel that kick drum from head to toe.  For the headliners, we were in front of Geordie on guitar.  He played through a couple of Marshalls, which coupled with the monitors created an awesome racket. 

Killing Joke is an incredible live act and Jaz Coleman is one of rock's true weirdos.  I rarely listen to their records nowadays because the screaming gets to me but I'll see them whenever they come to town because their raw power is exhilarating.

Hmmm. Maybe I wait a year or two...
probably a good call.  I really dig Greta's stuff and was pumped to see them live.  for me to not like a show takes a lot, and I didn't like this one.  its like 4 teenagers watched a Zeppelin concert from 1973 and then went out and did a show.  8-10 minute songs might've worked in 1973 with all of the acid and stuff, but doesn't come off as well in 2019.  And I was high as a kite but it still didn't work.  most shows I'm standing from start to finish, this one I think I stood for the first song maybe and then everyone just kind of sat down and watched, almost bored.  I hope and expect they will get better over time

Neil Young solo in Portland on May 17th, and in Seattle with Promise of the Real on the 20th. Two amazing, but completely different shows. I typically like him solo more than playing with others, but other than seeing him with Crazy Horse, this is the best collaboration I've seen. 'Ohio' and 'Old Man' were highlights. 

Dude is a living legend. There is no other singer/songwriter I'd rather see live. 

Users who are viewing this thread