Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music memories, it was a good run

1 hour ago, tommyGunZ said:

How is that Doheny Blues Festival Judge?  My wife & I have contemplated going a few times and never ended up motivating. 

Awesome.  Don't know how local you are, but the shark move is to book the Laguna Cliffs Marriott across the street as soon as dates are announced.  I'm guessing it's May 19/20 so I just booked using Marriott points.  A lot depends on the lineup, but you can't have a better location right on the beach.  Definitely do VIP though.  

Thanks for the info.  I'll put this on the calendar next May and book a room for the 2019 festival immediately. I live in Ocean Beach, so I'm an hour south of Dana Point.  Heading up there Sat to catch the boat to Catalina for a few days.  

Cheers buddy. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Vegas:

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill at TMobile Arena - Very good.  It really was a true split as they opened together, then the first half of the concert centered on Faith and then Tim doing the 2nd half before closing as a duo.  Faith really surprised me.  First of all, she must have Tim's trainer as she is smokin' hot for her age.  And she sang her ### off.  Tim was more subtle - less stage presence than I remembered but he still expertly delivered all of his hits.

Bruno Mars at TMobile Arena - just go see this show.  What a performance.  First night of his North America tour and it was a party.  Nobody like him these days.  Phenomenal energy. All of his older hits plus went from new jams like Perm to panty droppers like Versace on the Floor - something for everybody.  Maybe the most fun concert I've ever been to. Crowd was on there feet the entire show.  He's coming to LA for 4 shows at the Forum in November and I'll probably get tix if Mrs. Smails has anything to do with it.  

Phoenix at the Mandalay Bay - Best rock cover band ever. Always see them while in Vegas.  Went Friday night in between the 2 big concerts.  They are so so good. I'd pay to see them - for no cover it's a no-brainer

• Like 1

Rob Zombie coming to Tucson in November. Still good tickets available. Has anyone here seen him recently? Is he worth the $75.00 a ticket? Its outdoors if that matters.

I dont go very deep with him, I just know the hits.

13 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Rob Zombie coming to Tucson in November. Still good tickets available. Has anyone here seen him recently? Is he worth the $75.00 a ticket? Its outdoors if that matters.

Never cared much for RZ live. White Zombie back in the day was much better. I'm frankly tired of seeing him headline festivals all the time. 

Elvis Costello's tour is must-see for old fans, particularly those who love Imperial Bedroom which is featured. Its not one of those shows where he plays the whole record start to finish, but he does almost every song on IB, with several other classics mixed in. Lots of unusual arrangements. Attractions/Imposters mainstays Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas in great form as usual. No opener, just EC and his band for 2.5 hours.  Great show.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, prosopis said:

Stage show and videos will keep you entertained, but he sounds rough and out of breath most of the time. $75 for just him is a little steep, as EG mentioned, I usually catch him at festivals.

I saw Sturgill Simpson a couple weekends ago. He was very good. Based on some of the things he said during the show, he definitely has a chip on his shoulder about how mainstream country radio doesn't play his music or others like him, and how they don't play legends like Willie Nelson anymore even though he still makes records, yet they hypocritically fall over themselves honoring them when they die like they did last year when Merle Haggard died.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

For anyone more into newer Indie stuff, Pinegrove is my new favorite band. Caught them last night in Cincinnati (actually Newport, KY) at Southgate House Revival. Fantastic venue. Old church converted over to a concert hall. 

I need to check them out next time they are near Cincinnati.  I like Southgate Revival a lot though and have seen Dawes and Reverend Horton Heat there in the past.  Owner (Ross) is a great guy as well.

For anyone more into newer Indie stuff, Pinegrove is my new favorite band. Caught them last night in Cincinnati (actually Newport, KY) at Southgate House Revival. Fantastic venue. Old church converted over to a concert hall. 

They are great. Will catch them live for first time at Newport Folk Fest.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fred Lane said:

The following shows lined up:

Sunday night:  Tom Petty in Baltimore, MD

Following Saturday/Sunday:  Classic East in NY, NY (Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Journey, Earth Wind & Fire, and Doobie Brothers)

Heads up - Fleetwood Mac got absolutely DESTROYED in an LA Times review today for their performance, or lack of, in Classic West.  Said that they flat out mailed it in.  Total disgrace. Buckingham admitted it was a money grab and he's focused on his gig with Christine McVie now.  Honestly it was the worst concert review I've ever read.  Hopefully they'll respond with a better performance at your concert.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

They are great. Will catch them live for first time at Newport Folk Fest.

You're in for a treat. Last night was my first time seeing them live. 3x more energy and they seem like genuine great guys. Have fun. 

Was waiting for that song to change pace and for them to start rocking out and it never really happened. 

1 hour ago, Judge Smails said:

Heads up - Fleetwood Mac got absolutely DESTROYED in an LA Times review today for their performance, or lack of, in Classic West.  Said that they flat out mailed it in.  Total disgrace. Buckingham admitted it was a money grab and he's focused on his gig with Christine McVie now.  Honestly it was the worst concert review I've ever read.  Hopefully they'll respond with a better performance at your concert.

Ouch.  

Heard Walter Becker was sick and couldn't play, so a session musician sat it for him for the Steely Dan set, using sheet music to play along.

Wonder how many folks feel they got their money's worth. 

1 minute ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

Ouch.  

Heard Walter Becker was sick and couldn't play, so a session musician sat it for him for the Steely Dan set, using sheet music to play along.

Not trying to be mean, but isn't the expectation super low for these type of shows? 

12 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

Ouch.  

If I'm not mistaken the whole band including Becker has sheet music on a "normal" date. I've seen them a couple of times and I recall stands being all over the place. They are pretty tight when they play - almost to too tight for me.

http://www.osacorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Steely_Dan_OSA_Live_Concert.jpg

Edited by ffldrew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chemical X said:

was at Umbria jazz and caught dee dee bridgewater at 70 absolutely slay a memphis blues set......just throwing that out there.

Yeah, I think the Blues and Jazz people are sort of the exception. I saw BB King about a year before he died and he was great.

But for bands like Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan, maybe it's unfair but I'd be shocked if they were good. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Yeah, I think the Blues and Jazz people are sort of the exception. I saw BB King about a year before he died and he was great.

But for bands like Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan, maybe it's unfair but I'd be shocked if they were good. 

It really depends.  How many healthy, relatively sober, original members + how enthusiastic they are vs just taking the dough.  I agree you get less of it with blues.  Charles Bradley, at 68, absolutely tore up his set at the Arroyo Seco Fest in June.  I see lots of older acts and for the most part music keeps them young.  They can still rock.  Usually a lead singer starts declining and can't hit the notes they used to, but most of the rest of the band can usually jam through their 50's and 60's.

• Like 1

August, Cleveland - Midnight Oil.  My third concert since they came back.   This venue will be small with a bunch of standing room in the front, so it should be hopping.  So pumped to hear more of their catalog - they've been hitting every show with random stuff from all their albums.  Easily the best concert band out of Oz - highly recommended if anyone gets a chance to partake. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Yep, I saw the review.  I can't say I am overly surprised, but definitely disappointed.  Not sure if they have time to improve upon their set between the two concerts; however, I have not seen them in concert before, and won't get too many opportunities in the future.  For an upper level investment, I won't be completely disappointed.  I see that the Eagles performance was looked at favorably.

15 hours ago, Johnny Rock said:

Taking my wife and two daughters to see Coldplay in August and U2 in September. Both are at US Bank Stadium in Mpls. 

First time for anyone in the group? 

I'll be at that U2 show. Looking forward to it. First visit to US Bank Stadium. 

Coldplay isn't quite my thing but their shows are supposed to be outstanding - great light/visual show to go with the music. Hope y'all have a great time. And the roof on US Bank Stadium should help keep the mosquitoes away.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Rock said:

I've seen U2 probably 10x and Coldplay just once. Wife has seen U2 a bunch of times. Girls (14 & 12) have been to just one concert, Toad the Wet Sprocket/Counting Crows.

Then we've probably seen some shows from the same tour, if not the same building.

My first U2 concert was Zoo TV at Target Center in 1992 with The Pixies opening.  Then went to Ames for the Zoo TV Outdoor leg.  Think Public Enemy opened that night.

Then did a road trip to Madison and Chicago to catch PopMart twice.  Didn't catch the opener at either show.  Barely got to Soldier Field in time for U2 taking the stage.

Didn't catch the current Toad/Counting Crows tour.  Saw Toad at an outdoor show in Minneapolis back in the 90s.  Think it was in Loring Park.  Caught Counting Crows once at around the same time at one of the city theaters, want to say Orpheum.  

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 10:06 PM, Sand said:

August, Cleveland - Midnight Oil.  My third concert since they came back.   This venue will be small with a bunch of standing room in the front, so it should be hopping.  So pumped to hear more of their catalog - they've been hitting every show with random stuff from all their albums.  Easily the best concert band out of Oz - highly recommended if anyone gets a chance to partake. 

I remember seeing them perform on 6th Ave in front of the Time Life building in NYC back in the early 90s.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:47 PM, Judge Smails said:

17 hours ago, Fred Lane said:

Yep, I saw the review.  I can't say I am overly surprised, but definitely disappointed.  Not sure if they have time to improve upon their set between the two concerts; however, I have not seen them in concert before, and won't get too many opportunities in the future.  For an upper level investment, I won't be completely disappointed.  I see that the Eagles performance was looked at favorably.

I was at the concert and I don't think any fans left it disappointed. This seems like one critic with an agenda, as most other articles were positive. At worst, it was a well-produced, professional and enjoyable show. Buckingham killed it with his guitar solos in Bleed to Love Her and Never Going Back Again, skipping across the stage at one point and wailing in songs such as Tusk. If that's mailing it in, I'd like to see what other 67 year olds are doing with their days. He was easily the most engaged of the group. Stevie seemed less into it, and was a little annoyed about some microphone issue, until she really danced around during Gold Dust Woman. The acoustics and production for Fleetwood Mac were much better than Journey before them. A lot of what displayed on the video screens behind the stage accentuated the songs, such as the original USC Marching Band performance at Dodger Stadium for the video of Tusk (though I agree with the critic, as a USC alum, that I would have liked to see the Trojan band themselves marching at Dodger Stadium), or the gold dust effect they were putting on Stevie during her dancing. Christine maybe seemed to be going through the motions, but was competent on her songs. She's 74, so I can give her a break. Fleetwood and John were kind of invisible, but I guess that's the nature of bands. They played every song I wanted to here, and my girlfriend and I left thinking they probably put on as good of a show as they did 30 years ago.

• Like 2

I saw another concert this past weekend -- The Wallflowers performing for free at Pershing Square in Downtown Los Angeles. The only songs I know from The Wallflowers are One Headlight, Sixth Avenue Heartache and The Difference, as well as their cover of Heroes. They played the first three, and that's all I needed for my price of admission.

10 hours ago, NYRAGE said:

I remember seeing them perform on 6th Ave in front of the Time Life building in NYC back in the early 90s.

It wouldn't have, by chance, been this?  That is probably the most iconic performance the Oils ever gave.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shrugs said:

I saw another concert this past weekend -- The Wallflowers performing for free at Pershing Square in Downtown Los Angeles. The only songs I know from The Wallflowers are One Headlight, Sixth Avenue Heartache and The Difference, as well as their cover of Heroes. They played the first three, and that's all I needed for my price of admission.

Whoa whoa whoa - how did I miss this?? I LOVE the Wallflowers. Dylan's got one of the coolest voices ever and they just have a great vibe.  I would have missed them as I was in Vegas anyway but I didn't even know about them playing here.  

2 hours ago, Sand said:

It wouldn't have, by chance, been this?  That is probably the most iconic performance the Oils ever gave.

Yes it was. My bad. It was diagonal from Radio City. I thought it was the Time Life building, but it was slightly down the street at the Exxon building.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYRAGE said:

Yes it was. My bad. It was diagonal from Radio City. I thought it was the Time Life building, but it was slightly down the street at the Exxon building.

That's ####### awesome you got to see that.  Definitely a memory to hold on to.

5 hours ago, Sand said:

That's ####### awesome you got to see that.  Definitely a memory to hold on to.

I only saw about 3 songs because I was working. I remember seeing them perform "Beds are Burning" for sure. I was kind of jaded working at Atlantic/Elektra/Warner Records. I saw bands all the time, but that was the first time I saw a band playing in the streets like that. It drew a crowd.  Definitely something that was unique.

10 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Whoa whoa whoa - how did I miss this?? I LOVE the Wallflowers. Dylan's got one of the coolest voices ever and they just have a great vibe.  I would have missed them as I was in Vegas anyway but I didn't even know about them playing here.  

Yeah, this was the first in the Pershing Square summer concert series, so there will be more free music the next six weekends. Since we can walk to Pershing Square, will be going Aug. 5 for Toad the Wet Sprocket and 10,000 Maniacs, though the latter is without Natalie Merchant so might just watch the beginning and leave. And will be going Aug. 12 for the B-52s.

• Like 1

The last Saturday of the Pershing Square concert series is X, which I've never heard of but they are getting the most hype of all the acts. They are being billed as the best punk band to come out of LA. Do people here know them? Should I be checking them out?

Edited by Shrugs

31 minutes ago, Shrugs said:

The last Saturday of the Pershing Square concert series is X, which I've never heard of but they are getting the most hype of all the acts. They are being billed as the best punk band to come out of LA. Do people here know them? Should I be checking them out?

Is it The xx?

Edited by Johnny Rock