What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (3 Viewers)

Run It Up said:
And much like when Derrick Henry won the Heisman, Cam didnt deserve the mvp then either. Besides the point, but youre right that was the season that is the exception to the rule with still a sub 60% completion rate.
Thats literally LOL funny right there

I think I'm going to end up with CMC in my draft, and I'm kind of disappointed.  Fournette, Davis, and Mixon are projected to go 1, 2, 3 and I have picks 4 and 5.  I loved him coming out of school and was hopeful in the draft, but as the draft has gotten further and further away my excitement has dropped because of the situation in Carolina.  Hope I'm wrong since he'll be on my team, but I don't think Cam knows what to do with a pass catching RB and he'll vulture at least some of CMC's possible TDs.

Payton wouldn't let him. He ran it 200+ times for 3 years straight at Miami averaging 4.3 ypc or better each year. Plus another 35+ catches. He could carry the load.

First off, Bush only played 2 years in MIA.  The third year he hit 200 carries he was in DET.  And he only got that work load because in each case there was virtually no alternative.  The competition in MIA was Daniel Thomas and in DET was Joique Bell.  Neither team had any feasible alternative so they were forced to run Bush.  On top of that, 200 carries is hardly a bell cow workload, and no Bush was not an effective runner between the tackles.

I know you love your alternative facts in making your arguments, but in comparing McCaffrey to Bush you are speaking about a RB in McCaffrey who has a complete game and Bush who was limited by his inability to make an impact on interior runs.

McCaffrey may fail, only time will tell.  But at this stage he is a much more complete back than Bush ever was.  Hell, Bush surrendered inside runs in college to LenWhale White.  He couldn't get it done tackle to tackle at that level, much less the bigs.  That's not an issue for McCaffrey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here.  If he does fail, it'll be due to Cam and the Panthers, not McCaffrey himself.  
I mean, come on. I don't like Cam, but it's not like he's inept.  How hard is it to hand the ball off or throw a screen? Things change. It seems like the Panthers want to. 

If he fails they can all share some of the blame. 

I mean, come on. I don't like Cam, but it's not like he's inept.  How hard is it to hand the ball off or throw a screen? Things change. It seems like the Panthers want to. 

When I say "fail" I mean "doesn't live up to the hype and isn't as involved as we would hope".  Totally agree that they want to, but history of Cam himself doesn't provide much optimism about using McCaffrey properly.  I can see it now, 5 yard check down bullet to his face.  That's my issue, but I do believe Cam can make adjustments and get McCaffrey in good situations.  Cam is the question mark of utilizing him, not McCaffrey's talent.  In a way it would be on McCaffrey too, but like any player it's not all their fault for a coach not using them.  First thing that popped in my mind was Ryan Mathews in SD with Norv Turner constantly taking him off the field.  

When I say "fail" I mean "doesn't live up to the hype and isn't as involved as we would hope".  Totally agree that they want to, but history of Cam himself doesn't provide much optimism about using McCaffrey properly.  I can see it now, 5 yard check down bullet to his face.  That's my issue, but I do believe Cam can make adjustments and get McCaffrey in good situations.  Cam is the question mark of utilizing him, not McCaffrey's talent.  In a way it would be on McCaffrey too, but like any player it's not all their fault for a coach not using them.  First thing that popped in my mind was Ryan Mathews in SD with Norv Turner constantly taking him off the field.  
I get that Cam at this point is more likely to take off running than dump off to a RB, but not all passes to RBs are of the dump off variety. If the Panthers make a concerted effort to call more RB screens or passes into the flat, I think Cam would be fine making those throws. In prior seasons their pass catching back was Fozzy Whitaker - how many teams are going to run their offense through him?

If CMC is just getting hand offs and screens than it is a major fail. 

:oldunsure:  

OK, is RunItUp the former "Brewtown" guy from here?  I'm starting to see some parallels.  
Did I miss something, what is this in reference to?

Either way I've been here for years, rocking my peers and putting suckers in fear - making the tears rain down like a monsoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I miss something, what is this in reference to?

Either way I've been here for years, rocking my peers and putting suckers in fear - making the tears rain down like a monsoon.
It's a reference to a guy named Brewtown who use to be around here.  He's pretty famous around these parts.  

I didn't feel the need to go through an entire playbook.
Ok, I get what you are saying. I just think CMC should be used in the slot at times and run more advanced routes like a Woodhead, Riddick, Tyreek Hill. Those routes will require Cam to be play a kind of football that he hasn't really shown yet. I just find the Panthers offense confusing and I'm not sure if it has been constructed well. 

The Dave Gettleman firing today is interesting and I can't help but view it as a slight negative in regard to McCaffrey going forward. The McCaffrey pick felt like more of a GM decision that the head coach just went along with than one where everyone was 100% on board and excited. And now the GM is gone and I wonder if the very early returns on McCaffrey had any role in the decision.

I always like to watch the GM/Coach press conferences of the top skill position draft picks to get an idea about how the team envisions them fitting in to their plans. I thought there was a real disconnect in how Rivera talked about McCaffrey vs. how Gettleman talked about him. I mentioned it briefly in my post-draft rookie rankings:

In the post-draft press conference, GM Dave Gettleman compared McCaffrey to Curtis Martin and said he was one of the best “tackle-box runners” he’s ever seen. Martin had 10-straight seasons of 300+ touches, so the comparison should be an eye opener for dynasty owners. If McCaffrey can get even 200 carries per season, he will be a high end RB1 due to his pass game usage. On the other hand, head coach Ron Rivera compared McCaffrey to Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles. Sproles has never had a 100+ carry season and Bush reached 160 carries just three times in 11 years. 

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=hinderytradevalue0517
We've also had recent reports that Rivera viewed Stewart's role as remaining the same as in past years with him set to be the primary back (See here for example: http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Three-Questions-2017-Running-Backs/088c1f19-2db9-4aa6-a637-9ef77e469da6). 

In short, I'm worried about McCaffrey's fantasy impact this year and think he's being overdrafted at his current ADP. I've also bumped him down to 5th in rookie dynasty rankings. 

Mccaffrey only appears to be an okay selection in PPRs, and his ADP is likely to get worse if he has his typical highlight reel plays in the preseason. 

Too expensive for my taste.

Feel like the firing is more of an indictment on the selections they made before this class.

Benjamin is bordering on disappointment, Funchess is a bust most likely, all the rbs of the past half decade have sucked. Had to dump Hardy and mishandled Norman.

The Dave Gettleman firing today is interesting and I can't help but view it as a slight negative in regard to McCaffrey going forward. The McCaffrey pick felt like more of a GM decision that the head coach just went along with than one where everyone was 100% on board and excited. And now the GM is gone and I wonder if the very early returns on McCaffrey had any role in the decision.

I always like to watch the GM/Coach press conferences of the top skill position draft picks to get an idea about how the team envisions them fitting in to their plans. I thought there was a real disconnect in how Rivera talked about McCaffrey vs. how Gettleman talked about him. I mentioned it briefly in my post-draft rookie rankings:

We've also had recent reports that Rivera viewed Stewart's role as remaining the same as in past years with him set to be the primary back (See here for example: http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Three-Questions-2017-Running-Backs/088c1f19-2db9-4aa6-a637-9ef77e469da6). 

In short, I'm worried about McCaffrey's fantasy impact this year and think he's being overdrafted at his current ADP. I've also bumped him down to 5th in rookie dynasty rankings. 
That's interesting thanks for sharing.

Tex

I do exactly the same thing. This lets you know, or at least gives you the sense, if the guy I've been targeting pre-draft based on skill set is someone the offensive coordinator, head coach, GM, and/or position coach envision having the role I'd hoped he'll have a chance to earn. When they don't agree, give the BPA line, or give tepid endorsements in the post draft pressers, I tend to look a little more closely and usually move that player down a notch or two, to manage my expectations.

In McCaffrey's case, I know I'm likely in the minority as not seeing him as an every down RB anyway, so a disconnect among coaching is never a good thing. Guys lose jobs over picks like this if the team isn't 100% on the same page, and fantasy traps can be laid. I count on these traps though so the right guys, in situations I do like with the requisite skill set, fall a little further. 

Rivera doesn't seem to be the most imaginative of coaches. I'd be surprised if McCaffrey has a breakout unless Stewart gets injured.  Rivera is old school, and seems stuck viewing CMC as just a scat back. 

He could very easily end up as Danny Woodhead 2.0. That's not terrible, particularly in a PPR league, indeed is pretty valuable, but it's not the same as being, say, LeSean McCoy 2.0.

He could very easily end up as Danny Woodhead 2.0. That's not terrible, particularly in a PPR league, indeed is pretty valuable, but it's not the same as being, say, LeSean McCoy 2.0.
If he's Danny Woodhead 2.0 he is being drafted way too early. I personally don't feel people are factoring in Stewart enough. I'm going to pass on him in his current ADP unless he slides a couple of rounds (which I don't expect will happen). At his current ADP in PPR I think the safer play is one of the WR's around there, i.e. Sammy Watkins or Davante Adams. If it was a Dynasty league I'd be higher on him.

If he's Danny Woodhead 2.0 he is being drafted way too early. I personally don't feel people are factoring in Stewart enough. I'm going to pass on him in his current ADP unless he slides a couple of rounds (which I don't expect will happen). At his current ADP in PPR I think the safer play is one of the WR's around there, i.e. Sammy Watkins or Davante Adams. If it was a Dynasty league I'd be higher on him.
Agreed. People don't seem to realize Stewart will lead this team in rushing attempts and yards in the games he plays.

IMO, a good percentage of the naysayers almost seem to base their thoughts as if it's redraft and not dynasty.  Stewart has, what, a couple years at the most to make an impact here?

The clock is about to strike midnight on Stewart 
Exactly ...

and when, if ever - had anyone been confident in owning JStew?

he was the next best thing that never really happened - there's a reason for that. His best role is a complimentary RB. 

CMC at worst has the COP locked down, but I think he's gonna prove plenty capable between the tackles. And is running style will keep him from taking a beating.

Im really excited for his future 

Forget dynasty...I think the path is pretty clear for this kid to be an impact player in PPR leagues from day 1.

I was initially really down on him, but the more I read and watch highlights the more impressed I am with his skill set and his opportunity.  J Stewart simply isn't the caliber of back that's going to keep this kid from getting numbers.  

It's going to be impossible for the Panthers to keep this kid off the field, especially when they are going to want to protect Cam this year and make his life easier.  Ain't nothing easier than check downs to a weapon out of the backfield.

I'm buying this kid at the end of the 3rd or early 4th in all my PPR leagues.  I'm fully on board the hype train at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread