What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (4 Viewers)

So you're expecting him to do what only Marshall Faulk and Roger Craig were able to accomplish. Those are pretty lofty expectations my dude.
Well, when you put it that way...

Maybe not.

But looking further, CMC is one of only 5 players to hit 400 rushing/600 receiving their first year (Kamara did it last year too). So, he's in pretty good company.

750/1000 is perhaps unrealistic, but I see pretty significant bumps in both numbers over his rookie year.

I think if there were on model I would aspirationally apply on CMC’s case, it would be Charlie Garner’s 2002 season

182 rushes 962 rushing yards 7 TD’s; 91 receptions 941 receiving yards 4 TD’s.

While the efficiency may be too much to ask, the ‘load’ seems palatable.

I think if there were on model I would aspirationally apply on CMC’s case, it would be Charlie Garner’s 2002 season

I recall chasing these stats the next year to my doom...

Damn I forgot how good he was that season. Garner was the man. Never hear his name anymore. 

Since we’re projecting - I am really coming around to McCaffrey the more I look into it. So Rivera is hoping to get him 25-30 touches - unrealistic and just coach speak. However, I lost the number but I think I saw he had somewhere around 14 touches per game last year so even adding 5 to that per game can potentially give him 25-33% more yards. He is immediately flirting with top 5 if that is the case. 

Maybe Westbrook is a better comp? He hardly ever comes up but it feels like he was on the leading edge of this RB-as-receiver trend of the modern era. He would have killed in today's game. 
Or Tiki Barber, who is closer to McCaffrey's build. And rushed for 3.8 YPC and 3.2 YPC in his first two years in the league. 

Here's a you-wouldn't-a-thunk-if-you-hadn't-looked-it-up moment: Tiki averaged over 5 YPC and went 2000 yards from scrimmage in both of his last two seasons. His 2005 season, at age 30, is still #3 overall for total yards from scrimmage. If he'd stayed in the league a couple more years he'd probably be right up there with Tomlinson and Faulk for totals. 

Or Tiki Barber, who is closer to McCaffrey's build. And rushed for 3.8 YPC and 3.2 YPC in his first two years in the league. 

Here's a you-wouldn't-a-thunk-if-you-hadn't-looked-it-up moment: Tiki averaged over 5 YPC and went 2000 yards from scrimmage in both of his last two seasons. His 2005 season, at age 30, is still #3 overall for total yards from scrimmage. If he'd stayed in the league a couple more years he'd probably be right up there with Tomlinson and Faulk for totals. 
I was in high school at that time but I remember clearly the shock at his retirement, especially from fantasy owners. It was kinda reminiscent of Calvin retiring in his prime, some people felt betrayed. I definitely remember him still putting up monster numbers his final years.

Maybe that is a better comp, idk. But Westbrook was 5'10' 205 and McCaffrey is 5'11" 205, pretty similar builds too. Westbrook looks a little stockier in photos because of the older, bigger pads he's wearing compared to today but they're pretty comparable in how they're put together imo. Gonna go watch some Westbrook highlights and see if I'm talking out of my ### here. Will hit up some Tiki highlights as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Westbrook ended up carrying a pretty massive workload at times. In 2007, he had 278 carries and 90 receptions. Westbrook's 6 year run was very impressive though. He had a 16 game average of 1700 yards, 12 TDs and 75 receptions. 

I was in high school at that time but I remember clearly the shock at his retirement, especially from fantasy owners. It was kinda reminiscent of Calvin retiring in his prime, some people felt betrayed. I definitely remember him still putting up monster numbers his final years.

Maybe that is a better comp, idk. But Westbrook was 5'10' 205 and McCaffrey is 5'11" 205, pretty similar builds too. Westbrook looks a little stockier in photos because of the older, bigger pads he's wearing compared to today but they're pretty comparable in how they're put together imo. Gonna go watch some Westbrook highlights and see if I'm talking out of my ### here. Will hit up some Tiki highlights as well. 
Westbrook measured 5’8” at the combine, and I thionk that’s consistent with how he looked on the field. But yes, they could be similar players. Westbrook didn’t have Ron Dayne and a bunch of clueless coaches who kept giving Dayne the ball. CJ Anderson, though, is better than Ron Dayne, though both he and McCaffrey are stuck with a clueless OC so who knows what happens there.

Christian McCaffrey rushed 12 times for 48 yards and caught 2-of-2 targets for 16 yards in the Panthers' third preseason game.

"CMC" was extremely busy, dominating first-team reps for the third straight week and looking every bit like Carolina’s every-down back. He also recovered a Cam Newton fumble and continued to see carries deep in scoring position ahead of C.J. Anderson. After leading all NFL running backs in targets (116) as a rookie, McCaffrey is poised for a year-two leap and worth considering as early as the late first round in fantasy drafts. A true workhorse throughout his Stanford career, McCaffrey projects for a major spike on his rookie average of 12.3 touches per game.

Aug 24 - 9:43 PM

2.3? I'm considering him at 1.7 if chalk holds and would always take him over Cook in PPR.

Major disclaimer:  I have Kamara as a keeper but I would still take him over Cook
Maybe I'm swallowing the Kool-Aid, but I'm considering at pick 10 of 14 as well.  Not sure he would last to me coming back in the second.

Does Cam still vulture those TDs?  Can this guy withstand 25 touches per game?  I didn't watch him play much last year, so I have no idea.

I know he loses appeal in a NonPPR league, but how much we talkin here? If I take a RB @ 1.10, would CMC be a viable option @ 2.03? The big time RBs are usually all gone by then, so it's really him, Freeman or I reach a little bit for a guy like Howard who wouldn't be around @ 3.10. just trying to gague his value in NonPPR.

I know he loses appeal in a NonPPR league, but how much we talkin here? If I take a RB @ 1.10, would CMC be a viable option @ 2.03? The big time RBs are usually all gone by then, so it's really him, Freeman or I reach a little bit for a guy like Howard who wouldn't be around @ 3.10. just trying to gague his value in NonPPR.
I picked 12/12 standard league and went Cook into McCaffrey at 1.12/2.1, no regrets. Freeman/Howard were both there. Even in standard I'm projecting McCaffrey to have a big year.

I picked 12/12 standard league and went Cook into McCaffrey at 1.12/2.1, no regrets. Freeman/Howard were both there. Even in standard I'm projecting McCaffrey to have a big year.
I'm thinking along the same line.  In PPR I'd want two of Gordon/Fournette/Cook/McCaffrey.  RBs fly off the shelf in my league.  Gordon and Fournette are likely gone at the end of the draft for me.

Well I took the plunge at 1.08 in redraft. Didn't like a lot of the options there that were left (keeper league). He should be a PPR machine at least.

Got McCaffery and Jordan Howard at 1.12 and 2.1.  Really the best I could have hoped for.  Usually our first round looks like 7 rb, 2-3 qb and 1-2 wr.  This year it was 10 rb and 2 qb. Very odd year in what I don't consider to be a year with abundant RB depth due to injuries/suspensions/rb time shares.

Got McCaffery and Jordan Howard at 1.12 and 2.1.  Really the best I could have hoped for.  Usually our first round looks like 7 rb, 2-3 qb and 1-2 wr.  This year it was 10 rb and 2 qb. Very odd year in what I don't consider to be a year with abundant RB depth due to injuries/suspensions/rb time shares.
If no wide receivers were off the board yet why not go Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins at the turn?  You'd have the two best receivers in the league instead of the lower tier of the RB1s.

I'm going CMC over Cook 1ppr, both after Barkley in a 2 keeper league. Guy let CMC go back in for Hopkins and Zeke. I have CMC as a keeper in my main league. I'm in deep with him. Those goal line carries last game has me excited, although regular season, Cam might take them.

Christian McCaffrey played 89 percent of the first-team snaps this preseason. He played 69.9 percent of the team snaps as a rookie with only three games of reaching 80 percent of the team plays.
Trust (spike starting production): Christian McCaffrey (already established with a high-floor due to his receiving ability, he jumps into the weekly RB1 bucket if his usage in the preseason is an indication that he will be a workhorse option hile the Cowboys were 28th in receptions allowed per game to backfields a year ago),
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/81953/478/the-nfl-week-1-worksheet?pg=3

Got CMC in a PPR/PPT (points per touch) league. CMC, Mixon and Shady as my 3 starting RBs.

Anyway, I'm not so much looking for advice, but more how much you think handcuffing him with CJ Anderson should be a priority.....??

Anderson has proven to be a "solid enough" pass catcher, and even though I don't think I would like his upside as much as CMC's in this league, I think he would be a strong add in the event of an injury. I've also read where he is still "competing" for back up work too, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Are any of you owners picking up Anderson???

TZM

Got CMC in a PPR/PPT (points per touch) league. CMC, Mixon and Shady as my 3 starting RBs.

Anyway, I'm not so much looking for advice, but more how much you think handcuffing him with CJ Anderson should be a priority.....??

Anderson has proven to be a "solid enough" pass catcher, and even though I don't think I would like his upside as much as CMC's in this league, I think he would be a strong add in the event of an injury. I've also read where he is still "competing" for back up work too, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Are any of you owners picking up Anderson???

TZM
I drafted him very late but kind of wondering the same thing. I bet he has a big role if CMC goes down. I dont have any news or anything on this.

I personally am not a fan of handcuffing. If a CMC injury would leave you severely handicapped at RB then I would understand it but if you are deep at the position I would not bother. All depends on how valuable your bench spots are. 

Just read about their oline being absolutely devastated. Any concerns about what impact that may have?
A lot of fans are optimistic about the line this year.  Matt Kalil was hurt, but Taylor Moton is someone that has a lot of potential and filled in admirably in his preseason game against the Pats.  Darryl Williams on the right side appears to be healthy, though it's questionable whether he will be able to play this week.  It's not a great line by any stretch, but Turner appears to be developing a gameplan that takes that into account.

andyk803 said:
Anybody know if he’s returning kicks this year?
Damiere Byrd and Curtis Samuel should be returning most kicks.  I don't see McCaffrey being involved.

I personally am not a fan of handcuffing. If a CMC injury would leave you severely handicapped at RB then I would understand it but if you are deep at the position I would not bother. All depends on how valuable your bench spots are. 
CMC is the glue to my PPR team. If he goes down, Peyton Barber moves into the lineup :(

A lot of fans are optimistic about the line this year.  Matt Kalil was hurt, but Taylor Moton is someone that has a lot of potential and filled in admirably in his preseason game against the Pats.  Darryl Williams on the right side appears to be healthy, though it's questionable whether he will be able to play this week.  It's not a great line by any stretch, but Turner appears to be developing a gameplan that takes that into account.

Damiere Byrd and Curtis Samuel should be returning most kicks.  I don't see McCaffrey being involved.
Very nice post thanks for the insight.

Any concern about his rushing usage today?  Only a few more carries than CJA but still seemed to be in the game for every play. Cam seems to be more of a threat to his rushing productivity than CJA.

Any concern about his rushing usage today?  Only a few more carries than CJA but still seemed to be in the game for every play. Cam seems to be more of a threat to his rushing productivity than CJA.
I am more concerned with Cam rushing the ball than CJA. I still think CMC will be highly productive, but I think they were pretty down on him when he fumbled early in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread