What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (3 Viewers)

Sooooo is Mike Davis' injury serious?
I posted about him in the Mike Davis thread, but there doesn’t seem to be too many updates yet. I guess we’ll see how the week plays out. He did come back in after getting X Rays so I assume he’s okay, but who knows how it reacts after the game and adrenaline wear off.

Christian McCaffrey (shoulder) has been ruled out for Week 11 against the Lions.

This was expected for McCaffrey, who needs another week to recover from an AC Joint sprain. It's the eighth game he'll miss this season. The Panthers will again turn to Mike Davis as their lead back with McCaffrey sidelined. Davis is a plug-in RB2 against a Lions defense that's allowing the third-most rushing yards in the league.

SOURCE: panthers.com

Nov 18, 2020, 1:05 PM ET

Will they really bring him back Week 12 when they have their bye the following week? I hope so, but I can't imagine they wouldn't just give him another two weeks to fully recover. 

Eh I could see it going either way. If ts truly a grade 1 sprain and he says he feels good (even if he doesn't) and things check out in the pictures then they could play him.
They won't have a reason to though. They'll be out of contention and he's the highest paid RB in the league. He's their only real shiny toy. No need to put it on the field to get re-injured when their bye is the following week. 

They won't have a reason to though. They'll be out of contention and he's the highest paid RB in the league. He's their only real shiny toy. No need to put it on the field to get re-injured when their bye is the following week. 
You have to think like a coach, no a personnel guy. If CMC says he's fine and the medical checks out, you want your best guys on the field. You want to win games, you want to end the season on a positive note. 

You're right as a personnel guy, but most coaches don't think that way.

You have to think like a coach, no a personnel guy. If CMC says he's fine and the medical checks out, you want your best guys on the field. You want to win games, you want to end the season on a positive note. 

You're right as a personnel guy, but most coaches don't think that way.
Sure, but it's not the coach's final say. It's a collective decision between the coaching staff and the ownership. If higher-ups don't want to risk it, it won't be risked. 

Also, this often doesn't need to be said, especially to coaches on less-than-solid footing. Sure, they want to win, but they also want to take good care of the expensive toys that the person who pays their salary has allowed them to play with. 

Maybe I'm a biased CMC owner, but put me in the camp of first year HC is more interested in winning games than protecting longterm assets. A coach/GM situation, a Gruden or BB, yeah it factors in, but unless it's a totally dysfunctional FO (see Jones, Jerry) the GM and/or owner aren't calling the shots for who is suiting up.

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said he's still considering Christian McCaffrey (shoulder) week-to-week.

With Carolina's bye right around the corner in Week 13, fantasy players should continue preparing as if McCaffrey won't be back on the field until December 13 in Week 14. Mike Davis, who handled 21 of Carolina's 29 backfield touches on Sunday, will continue starting in the interim. It's still plausible the organization chooses to preserve its locked-up star and simply hold McCaffrey out for the rest of the season.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Nov 23, 2020, 3:26 PM ET

Sure, but it's not the coach's final say. It's a collective decision between the coaching staff and the ownership. If higher-ups don't want to risk it, it won't be risked. 

Also, this often doesn't need to be said, especially to coaches on less-than-solid footing. Sure, they want to win, but they also want to take good care of the expensive toys that the person who pays their salary has allowed them to play with. 
That's true. On the other hand, he is the highest paid RB in the league. And the team doesn't get a return on investment unless the player plays. The RB career shelf life is short enough as it is. If he's healthy, I would expect they play him. If not, he should sit another week for sure. 

That's true. On the other hand, he is the highest paid RB in the league. And the team doesn't get a return on investment unless the player plays. The RB career shelf life is short enough as it is. If he's healthy, I would expect they play him. If not, he should sit another week for sure. 
You could also make the case that this would be why they would shelf him......kid has a lot of mileage in a short period of time.  Why increase the mileage if the team is out of the running?

You could also make the case that this would be why they would shelf him......kid has a lot of mileage in a short period of time.  Why increase the mileage if the team is out of the running?
I've never understood the logic of sitting guys, just because the playoffs are out of the question. There is 6 months to get healthy, and I'd want to see what my offense looks like with all the starters. Maybe if the guy had the same injury over and over and over again? But CMC has had 2 very random unrelated injuries.

I'm surprised he's been out this long. An AC joint is typically a 1-2 week injury, and often played through.

Its been really unfortunate for people who took CMC at #1, because it was 100% the right pick. He's been the best player in fantasy when he's played. Small sample size, but he's actually been more effective this season than in 2019. Hopefully, he's back in week 14 for playoff runs, football is more fun when he's playing. 

I've never understood the logic of sitting guys, just because the playoffs are out of the question. There is 6 months to get healthy, and I'd want to see what my offense looks like with all the starters. Maybe if the guy had the same injury over and over and over again? But CMC has had 2 very random unrelated injuries.

I'm surprised he's been out this long. An AC joint is typically a 1-2 week injury, and often played through.

Its been really unfortunate for people who took CMC at #1, because it was 100% the right pick. He's been the best player in fantasy when he's played. Small sample size, but he's actually been more effective this season than in 2019. Hopefully, he's back in week 14 for playoff runs, football is more fun when he's playing. 
I hope he's back out there too.  All I'm saying is he's a RB who's had a HUGE workload since coming into the league.  When healthy, you know exactly what you have with him.   I don't think it would be a horrible strategy to let him come back next season 💯 and try to go for a run.

CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY RB, CAROLINA PANTHERS

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Teddy Bridgewater and Christian McCaffrey are both expected to practice this week.

Neither are guaranteed to play in Week 12, but it seems that Bridgewater has an easier path between the two as Pelissero described McCaffrey's status as "up in the air." It's worth noting that the Panthers have a bye in Week 13, so there's some incentive to sit these players to get them back in December at full health.

RELATED: 

Teddy Bridgewater

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 24, 2020, 6:09 PM ET

Manster said:
If it was my team, I would give the coaching staff the green light to increase the RB mileage to the max if needed. It's a position that no team should invest heavily in regardless. Look at the Rams with Gurley. It made no sense. Pay a guy a boatload of money. He eventually gets hurt again as do all RBs. Then play him sparingly to keep him fresh. Then cut him. 

Expected to practice and "up in the air" is a pretty big upgrade from out. I'm not super confident CMC will be back this week, but its on the table now.

At the very least its sounding like he'll be back week 14, and is in no danger of being shelved for the rest of the season.

If it was my team, I would give the coaching staff the green light to increase the RB mileage to the max if needed. It's a position that no team should invest heavily in regardless. Look at the Rams with Gurley. It made no sense. Pay a guy a boatload of money. He eventually gets hurt again as do all RBs. Then play him sparingly to keep him fresh. Then cut him. 
Right, unless you feel like you can make moves to make a run next season.  I'm not saying they feel that way, but they prolly ain't making the post season, so why wouldn't it at least be a possibility?  Guys do get shut down in pro sports, on crappy teams, all the time.

Christian McCaffrey (shoulder) will practice on a limited basis Wednesday.

McCaffrey hasn't been cleared for contact, but it's a step in the right direction. Despite the return to practice, McCaffrey's status is "still up in the air" for Sunday's Vikings matchup. The Panthers' looming Week 13 bye could factor into whether McCaffrey is active this week.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Nov 25, 2020, 11:53 AM ET

Matt Rhule said he does not expect CMC to play this week.
Rotoworld:

Coach Matt Rhule said the team is "not expecting" Christian McCaffrey (shoulder) to play Week 12 against the Vikings.

McCaffrey was limited in Wednesday's practice, but it sounds like the Panthers are going to give CMC the Week 12 game and the Week 13 bye to heal his ailing shoulder. Mike Davis will get another week as an RB1 before McCaffrey is back for Week 14.

RELATED: 

Mike Davis

SOURCE: Bill Voth on Twitter

Nov 25, 2020, 2:28 PM ET

Christian McCaffrey (shoulder) has been ruled out for Week 12 against the Vikings.

McCaffrey practiced on a limited basis this week and was listed as questionable, but he was always a longshot to play. Mike Davis will make another start and is an RB2 against a Vikings defense that's allowing 122 rushing yards per game. The Panthers will give McCaffrey the next two weeks to get his shoulder healthy.  He should be ready to return in Week 14 following the Panthers' bye.

Nov 28, 2020, 12:32 PM ET

Brian Flores said one of the biggest reasons Miami is winning this season, is because they finished strong last season. 

I would bet most coaches feel that way. So whenever I hear the case that a team should shut down a star player, who can play again, just because they are out of the playoffs this season, I think it's a silly argument.

Can't imagine there's too many CMC owners that made the playoffs unless they were fortunate enough or smart enough to grab Davis.  At this point I'd rather they just shut him down and save the mileage.  If he tears an ACL in Week 14 in a "meaningless" game then he's out pretty much all of next year too. 

#2 and 3 weren’t a whole lot better this year 
Was Zeke the #3 in most leagues?  In my 3 redraft leagues, 1-2 was CMC, Barkley, and 3 was Henry, Kamara, and Zeke. 

Can't imagine there's too many CMC owners that made the playoffs unless they were fortunate enough or smart enough to grab Davis.  At this point I'd rather they just shut him down and save the mileage.  If he tears an ACL in Week 14 in a "meaningless" game then he's out pretty much all of next year too. 
By that logic teams should just bench everybody if they are out of the hunt. CMC is no more likely to tear an ACL than anyone else. Meanwhile, if say CMC's return helps them upset Green Bay or New Orleans(who they had a 50-50 game with without him) that could give them a lot to build off of toward next season.

He'll play next week and will play to win. It's a professional sport. There are no meaningless games, only people with skewed perceptions in their own mind. Now if a player is hurt then they sit. If cleared, the best players play. Like someone said earlier, you build momentum going into the offseason to start with an excitement going in next year. He'll play and I believe he'll play well.

CMC may give owners a nice little treat coming down the stretch. If he gets hurt, he does. My question is can I afford to hang onto Davis during the bye week. 

I'm banking on 20-30 points per game. 

Its a 3 game sample size, but CMC has actually been better fantasy wise this season, than he was last season. In fact his 2020 PPG pace is higher than any RB in history. The people who took him #1 overall absolutely made the right pick. Bad luck he got hurt, but he's not the reason anyone missed the playoffs. Could have easily gone 3-0 in the games he did play. 

He's the easy RB1 overall whenever he plays.

Was Zeke the #3 in most leagues?  In my 3 redraft leagues, 1-2 was CMC, Barkley, and 3 was Henry, Kamara, and Zeke. 

By that logic teams should just bench everybody if they are out of the hunt. CMC is no more likely to tear an ACL than anyone else. Meanwhile, if say CMC's return helps them upset Green Bay or New Orleans(who they had a 50-50 game with without him) that could give them a lot to build off of toward next season.
Yes, Zeke was #3, Kamara 4, I was lucky enough to be picking 5th

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said he's "hopeful" Christian McCaffrey (shoulder) can return in Week 14 against the Broncos.

‘’There’s nothing to make me think he’s not,’’ Rhule added on McCaffrey's status for Sunday. The 24-year-old was listed as questionable prior to Carolina's bye and will presumably return at full health with an extra week of rest now under his belt. It's possible the Panthers limit McCaffrey whenever he returns to the field, but his usage in his last game against the Chiefs — 71% of Carolina's snaps, 10 targets and 18-of-19 backfield carries — suggests otherwise. He'll return as the overall RB1 the moment he's announced active again.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Dec 7, 2020, 1:35 PM ET

For any of us McCaffrey owners who are somehow still alive (thanks Tyreek Hill), this is the moment.  Will he come in and be our FF playoff hero? Or is he going to be limited, or not play at all, and is this just going to be the continuation of a season of sadness?  I'm girding myself for disappointment, but am hoping that it becomes the stuff of FF legend - remember when McCaffrey was hurt all year but made it back right in time for the FF playoffs?  

He was heavily involved when he came back from his injured ankle, absolutely no reason to think he wouldn’t do the same this week if he plays, he’s only going to be playing if he is healthy.  If he is active, he is going to get a lot of touches.

For any of us McCaffrey owners who are somehow still alive (thanks Tyreek Hill), this is the moment.  Will he come in and be our FF playoff hero? Or is he going to be limited, or not play at all, and is this just going to be the continuation of a season of sadness?  I'm girding myself for disappointment, but am hoping that it becomes the stuff of FF legend - remember when McCaffrey was hurt all year but made it back right in time for the FF playoffs?  
I somehow made it with drafting CMc, Godwin, Lamar, and Ingram and Dobbins within the first 6 rounds. I surely hope CMC is ready to go!

Users who are viewing this thread