What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (1 Viewer)

Last season, Stanford junior RB Christian McCaffrey's 3.20 yards per route run average led all runners and trailed only a few of the country's top receivers.
This is a truly stunning stat, especially when you consider that McCaffrey caught 43 of his 45 passes no further than nine yards downfield. What that means is the Cardinal star is both ludicrously efficient on his targets and possesses an elite attribute in his open field running, regularly converting screens and underneath throws into monster plays. But as Pro Football Focus' Jeff Dooley points out, he's no slot receiver disguised as a dainty running back. No, McCaffrey forced 71 missed tackles as a RB in 2015 (and 15 more as a receiver), No. 4 among returning running backs. Oh, and he earned PFF's top overall RB grade.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Jun 10 - 4:41 PM

The kid appears to be a stud and I'm eager to see if he can do it again this year.  If he comes close to matching last year's numbers, you have to assume he'll go top half of the 1st round.  

Stanford lost a lot of players this past year to graduation and the draft. New QB and many new players across the OLine, so if CM even sniffs those numbers next year it will be very impressive.

Stanford OC Mike Bloomgren wants to limit junior RB Christian McCaffrey to 20-24 carries per game.
The Cardinal will also scale back McCaffrey's special teams work as they protect their most precious asset. That means McCaffrey won't return every kick, and that especially means you aren't likely to see him as a gunner again. "But what a gunner he was," special teams coach Pete Alamar said. Bloomgren's pin-and-pull schema, similar to what Chip Kelly's Eagles did the past few years, is perfect for McCaffrey's skill set. Prior to last season, McCaffrey studied tape of LeSean McCoy to pick up tips on how to wait on blockers. This offseason, per strength coach Shannon Turley, McCaffrey increased his vertical by two inches and his bench press by 30 pounds while reducing his body fat by 3.6 percent.

Source: Sports Illustrated
Jun 16 - 7:01 PM

The kid appears to be a stud and I'm eager to see if he can do it again this year.  If he comes close to matching last year's numbers, you have to assume he'll go top half of the 1st round.  
No matter what he does he won't be drafted in the top half of the first round. At best he is the 4th RB taken.

Football Focus sees Stanford junior RB Christian McCaffrey as the Heisman frontrunner.
The 6-foot, 197-pound McCaffrey led all running backs last season with a +49.1 overall PFF grade. He finished with an FBS-record 3,864 total yards, including 2,019 on the ground and 645 through the air (14.3 yards per reception). "He’s a smooth runner in any scheme, whether working downhill in Stanford’s preferred downhill system or looking to find a cutback lane on zone runs," wrote Steve Palazzolo. "McCaffrey can then create matchup problems for opposing defenses as he can take wildcat snaps or line up as a receiver where he looks like a veteran wide receiver with his smooth route running."

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Jun 23 - 5:36 PM

No matter what he does he won't be drafted in the top half of the first round. At best he is the 4th RB taken.
I'm calling top 5 now, barring injury.  This guy is super special and he did what he did last year at 19 years old.  I can't wait to see what he does this season.  I'm thinking 2,500 all purpose yards is his floor.  His coaches say he's in better physical shape this season than last.  He's only 20 and still growing and developing.  Sky's the limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6sZfvxm1k

I mean, I hope he ends up a Patriot. He is looking good tonight, had a botched handoff causing a fumble but otherwise looking as good as last year.

Fournette,  Freeman, McCaffrey,......
You left off the one that's probably the best NFL prospect. Dalvin Cook. Also, I love Mccaffrey but he looks a lot like Reggie Bush. Not a bad thing but more of a jack of all trades, master of none for the NFL.

You left off the one that's probably the best NFL prospect. Dalvin Cook. Also, I love Mccaffrey but he looks a lot like Reggie Bush. Not a bad thing but more of a jack of all trades, master of none for the NFL.
Haven't seen enough of Cook.  Agree on McCaffrey 

I agree....that was the first time I have watched a game of his. My first impression was that McCaffrey is a great college RB however I don't see an elite NFL player. Tim Tebow of RBs.....

I have questions about mccaffreys long speed and how his frame might translate but he looks so good those are minor knocks.  His upper body looks pretty long with shorter legs which might in turn help him I just don't know, any recent examples of a guy like that? 

I have questions about mccaffreys long speed and how his frame might translate but he looks so good those are minor knocks.  His upper body looks pretty long with shorter legs which might in turn help him I just don't know, any recent examples of a guy like that? 
His long speed is superior to Hall of Famers like Emmit Smith and will be well above average...I'm not concerned about long speed at all.

I agree that there aren't many comps in terms of his frame.

To me his real value will be as a returner/pass catcing back or maybe even a slot receiver.  Thinking Devin Hester/CJ spiller/Sproles/vereen/Dion lewis type roles.

I think it would be a mistake to force him between the tackles.  Jamal Charles/Marcus Allen are a few of the few backs I can think of that can/could run between the tackles with a slender frame...but they are such an exception to the rule. 

Yeah I think Freeman will be a better pro back than McCaffrey.   
Freeman is probably going to be a better pure RB, but McCaffrey is going to boost an NFL team's kick returns, punt returns, and help more the passing game.

I'd be surprised if Freeman was drafted ahead of McCaffrey. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Mccaffrey won the Heisman and was still the 5th RB off the board. I still think hes a better prospect than any of them.

CM's long speed

Shannon Turley, Stanford’s head strength and conditioning coach since 2007, said McCaffrey runs a 4.50 laser-timed 40, fastest of any running back to come through the program during his time there.

I don't doubt he's going to run something similar when it matters.  Plenty enough long speed.

I'm calling top 5 now, barring injury.  This guy is super special and he did what he did last year at 19 years old.  I can't wait to see what he does this season.  I'm thinking 2,500 all purpose yards is his floor.  His coaches say he's in better physical shape this season than last.  He's only 20 and still growing and developing.  Sky's the limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6sZfvxm1k
You're calling top 5 picks in the first round!? That shows a stunning lack of football knowledge. There is no chance he goes before Fournette, Cook, or Chubb.

King of the Jungle said:
I agree....that was the first time I have watched a game of his. My first impression was that McCaffrey is a great college RB however I don't see an elite NFL player. Tim Tebow of RBs.....
Nice to see somebody gets it.

We get it. We get your 4 - 6 word restated, old opinion. You don't need to make your same point over and over and over. We also don't need your arrogance. 
But if I liked him you wouldn't mind my old opinion. Fortunate for me I don't give a s**t what you do or do not need sweetheart.

But if I liked him you wouldn't mind my old opinion. Fortunate for me I don't give a s**t what you do or do not need sweetheart.

No, I believe that everyone's opinion of you would pretty much be the same, regardless of whether they agreed with you or not. You are caustic and certain that your opinion is superior to anyone and everyone else's.  That doesn't make you better than anyone here, it just makes you a jerk. That you don't care to participate in a civilized manner is unfortunate. 

But if I liked him you wouldn't mind my old opinion.
I wouldn't mind your old opinion if you actually provided facts and a justification for it rather than "Nice to see somebody gets it", or some other similar useless answer.

My eyeballs do not lie when I watch this guy. Speed, moves, talent. I know he was a high school track star, and then I read he runs a 4.5. Kirk Ferentz said he's the best college player, other than Antwaan Randle El, he has coached against in his 15 years at Iowa. Should I believe him, a coach who knows far more than you, or your 4-6 word baseless responses? 

I'd love to hear the fact reasons he won't be successful in the NFL. I try to remain objective. Reading your subjective, factless responses wastes my time and everyone else's time on this board.  

LeSean McCoy?

Nice to see somebody gets it.
Fully agree. Decent, not great athlete. Choppy feet without suddenness or noteworthy acceleration. Dominates the PAC whatever but so did Agholor, Lee, Ertz, etc. 

Edelman, Welker are his comps. Overwhelming resemblance to a BB next of kin project.

Users who are viewing this thread