What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (3 Viewers)

He'll probably end up drafted by some stupid team that rotates 3 RBs in and out all game long depending on situation.

He'll probably end up drafted by some stupid team that rotates 3 RBs in and out all game long depending on situation.
I had similar feelings about David Johnson as I do for Maccaffrey. I was originally disappointed with the location and situation he landed in.

I haven't heard anything, but I assume he's sitting out his next season. Makes me wonder how late he might slide. I think a lot of the smarter teams (teams I feel like a back like him would prosper) aren't going to reach for a RB. I think best case for him in terms of fantasy is that he lasts to the 3rd/4th and gets scooped up.

not sure why you are assuming he sits out next season?!?

he has quickness and long speed, but BMI proponents are not going to like him... same with speed score unless he breaks sub 4.45

maybe 3 Cone and Shuttle will vindicate his on fields ability because the dude is like a rabbit

From Wiki (FWIW):

McCaffrey was also a standout sprinter on the track & field team. As a junior in 2012, he placed second in the 100-meter dash at the Mountain Vista Boulder Invitational with a career-best time of 10.75 seconds.[4] As a senior in 2013, he finished sixth in the 100-meter dash (10.89s) and ninth in the 200-meter dash (22.17s) at the CHSAA State Meet.[5]

One of the best one hundred football players in his national high school class, McCaffrey was selected as a 2014 U.S. Army All-American. McCaffrey was rated by Rivals.com as a four-star recruit and was ranked as the third best all-purpose back in his class and 77th best player overall.[6] He committed to Stanford University to play college football.[7][8]

Based on him being the best back in college and gaining literally nothing and risking potentially everything.

Just basic common sense mostly.

Do people really need to see more from him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on him being the best back in college and gaining literally nothing and risking potentially everything.

his father is financial secure Im sure and I bet you he gets an insurance policy.

He will play next year at Stanford and probably his senior year as well to get his degree.

He will play next year at Stanford and probably his senior year as well to get his degree.
highly doubt that. His dad is on record saying guys should be able to come out after their 2nd year. He's not gonna encourage him to stay.

McCaffrey only averaged 2.5 yards after contact per carry (excluding the bowl game), which is a full yard less than most of the other top runners (Fournette, Cook, Elliott, Henry, Freeman). He also gets pulled in favor of Remound Wright in short yardage situations (33 carries for Wright vs. 18 for McCaffrey on 3rd & 1-3 or 4th down) and on the goal-line (which is part of the reason why he only ran for 8 TDs on 337 carries). That points to him being more of a Bush/Vereen type back. I haven't gotten to see much of him yet, though, so I'm not that confident of this description.

People say this all the time and it never, ever happens except with Clowney, who played a higher valued position and had the stereotypical measurables.

Really common sense tells me the opposite. I guess ones man common sense can be another man's uncommon sense.

Maybe players should start bubble wrapping themselves so they dont upset the fantasy community by getting hurt before they get to the league. The love of the game should not interfere. This way they can start producing as soon as possible and help us win titles.

His dad went to my alma mater high school and doesn't even hold most of the records. His brother, Bill, does.

His dad went to my alma mater high school and doesn't even hold most of the records. His brother, Bill, does.
Did Billy McCaffrey even play football? I just remember the basketball.

I was in the same high school class as Ed McCaffrey. Even had a few Phys Ed classes together (and believe me ... when choosing up sides, you wanted to be on Ed's team). Oddly we thought of him as a basketball player first (the school won a couple of state championships with him starting at center). Maybe baseball second. The football team was pretty bad, though obviously Ed got the attention of top scouts and physically was best suited for the next levels in football.

Haven't read a single post in this thread. That said this guy is the real deal. Just a football player.

Really common sense tells me the opposite. I guess ones man common sense can be another man's uncommon sense.
Whats the logic though, mines clear he stands to gain very little and risks possibly his entire future as a football player. What does he gain from playing next year?

His dad went to my alma mater high school and

doesn't even hold most of the records. His brother, Bill, does.
Did Billy McCaffrey even play football? I just

remember the basketball.

I was in the same high school class as Ed McCaffrey. Even had a few Phys Ed classes

together (and believe me ... when choosing up sides, you wanted to be on Ed's team). Oddly we thought of him as a basketball player first (the school won a couple of state championships with

him starting at center). Maybe baseball second. The football team was pretty bad, though obviously Ed got the attention of top scouts and physically was best suited for the next levels in

football.
I just recall the banners up in Rockne hall.

He should have a long NFL career, I see one part Ronnie Harmon++ and one part Tiki Barber with a dash of Marshall Faulk.

I don't think he can make a living between the tackles in the NFl nor do I see that he has the lateral quickness of Shady McCoy but his vision is excellent and he's very versatile. He's very dangerous on the perimeter and in space and has great hands and should be an excellent situational back at the next level.

This guy is an inspiration to all white people who want to play RB at the highest level.

Reminds me of Le'Veon Bell with less burst and explosiveness.

Whats the logic though, mines clear he stands to gain very little and risks possibly his entire future as a football player. What does he gain from playing next year?
he's going to try very hard to win the Heisman next year. No way in hell he sits out. Hes,still auditioning for the next level. Lots of question marks that he'd like to erase.

Sports Illustrated's Zac Ellis noted that Stanford junior RB Christian McCaffrey needs to "make enough head-turning plays to take advantage of social media and highlight shows" if he wants to win the Heisman next year.
Well that's, well, we're not really sure we have words here. If McCaffrey needs to somehow become more electric and noticeable, he's already set a pretty high bar. The 6-foot, 197-pound junior broke Barry Sanders' NCAA total yardage record for a season last year with 3,864 yards. It's not like he accumulated that yardage on three yards and a cloud of dust. "A key kick return posted on Twitter could help up the Stanford star’s profile across the country," Ellis concluded. That's probably a bit of a stretch, but his destruction of Iowa in the Rose Bowl's certainly a nice jump-start for a potential 2016 Heisman campaign.

Source: Sports Illustrated 
Mar 8 - 9:58 PM

I'm glad you started this thread.

Just because he's white, doesn't mean everyone should compare him to just white guys. LOL He is NOTHING like Alstott was. Alstott had about 30 lbs on him and wasn't nearly as fast as McCaffrey is. He's about the same size as Jamaal Charles, but just about a 1/10 slower in the 40. Same thing with Peyton Hillis - he had more size than McCaffrey.

I was astounded at McCaffrey's speed and vision today. I had no idea he was that fast. I had not seen him play, and now I felt like I've missed out on watching him. He is going to be a fantastic player at the NFL level.
No, he isn't.

Best back in college? Funny considering at best he will be the fourth RB taken.

Bookmark it, then come back and tell me I'm wrong. He won't be a first round pick, he will not be an impact player, he'll be a niche back in a rbbc. 
All you've done since you've been here (and that other site) is snipe away with one line opinions as though they were fact.  It's a tired, played-out schtick.  Offer some analysis or reasoning behind if if you want any credibility.

This is no way to discuss a deceptively fast player. He reminds me of Jayson Williams in football cleats.

Hankmoody said:
All you've done since you've been here (and that other site) is snipe away with one line opinions as though they were fact.  It's a tired, played-out schtick.  Offer some analysis or reasoning behind if if you want any credibility.
First of all my opinion whether it be one line or a thesis as some choose to write is merely that, an opinion. I have my reasons for the picks I make and just because they don't always line up the prevalent herd mentality is not my concern. I'm sure if I had written,.." I think McCaffrey is gonna be just GREAT!!" You wouldn't have felt the need to make your snarky little comment. As I said, bookmark the post and throw it in my face if I'm wrong, doesn't matter to me. I don't come to an anonymous fantasy site wanting or needing to create credibility. I let the record of my picks do that.

Hankmoody said:
Because credibility on fantasy football forums is what we all seek in this life.

Hey man, you are never going to get RESPECT around these parts like that!

Wise up - post how and what we want you to post, then us other anonymous online fantasy football message board posters can accept you.  Ya dig?

Only then will you earn BOARD CRED.  Only then.

He may be great but it is hard to get behind a white RB for fantasy purposes long term.  I know that sounds bad but it's the truth.

He may be great but it is hard to get behind a white RB for fantasy purposes long term.  I know that sounds bad but it's the truth.
Yeah, sounds kind of racist if that's what you meant by "bad".  Just because there aren't a lot of white running backs doesn't mean that there haven't been good ones (Such as Rocky B., Hoge, and Riggins).  A great RB is a great RB, nothing else should matter.  McCaffrey can flat out play, he'd be my #1 fantasy pick if he came out this year.

Also, comparing him to Toby Gerhart (or other mediocre white RBs) is like looking at Trent Richardson and being like, I think I'll pass on Le'veon Bell, they have too much in common...

Hey,  if we're being honest, I have concerns about a white RB. White cornerbacks too--if I ever see one. 

Was Ed his dad? He was a very good athlete, for any color. 

Yeah, sounds kind of racist if that's what you meant by "bad".  Just because there aren't a lot of white running backs doesn't mean that there haven't been good ones (Such as Rocky B., Hoge, and Riggins).  A great RB is a great RB, nothing else should matter.  McCaffrey can flat out play, he'd be my #1 fantasy pick if he came out this year.

Also, comparing him to Toby Gerhart (or other mediocre white RBs) is like looking at Trent Richardson and being like, I think I'll pass on Le'veon Bell, they have too much in common...
Of course it is a racist comment, thus the words "sounds bad", but if you have to go back to Rocky Blier, Hoge, and Riggins to make your point, then well, maybe there is something to why there hasn't been many any GREAT white RBs in the modern era of the NFL.  I only go by what I've seen in the NFL and if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then by golly it is a duck.

I know, right?  It's like WR's - it's hard to trust white WRs too.  Except for Ed McCaffrey, he had some pretty nice seasons (for a white guy).  Maybe Christoan McCaffrey will be the Ed McCaffrey of RB's?

I know, right?  It's like WR's - it's hard to trust white WRs too.  Except for Ed McCaffrey, he had some pretty nice seasons (for a white guy).  Maybe Christoan McCaffrey will be the Ed McCaffrey of RB's?
White WRs seem to have more success than white RBs, especially when comes to being elite at the position.  Jordy Nelson is elite, but I can't think of an elite white RB since Riggins and please don't say Mike Alstott.  Even if you scratch your head and come up with ONE it still the exception rather than the rule for sure.  Riggins is the only true stud white RB I can think of in a semi-modern era and before that, Larry Csonka.  I wouldn't consider Rocky Bleier elite, but he was pretty good.  He did have one 1000+ yd season in 1976.

Kids bloodlines are insane. His dad played in the nfl obviously. His uncle played for duke basketball. His mom was a great athelete as well as her father. 

Granted i think he will be a cop ppr kicker return type player. But who knows he could break the mould

White WRs seem to have more success than white RBs, especially when comes to being elite at the position.  Jordy Nelson is elite, but I can't think of an elite white RB since Riggins and please don't say Mike Alstott.  Even if you scratch your head and come up with ONE it still the exception rather than the rule for sure.  Riggins is the only true stud white RB I can think of in a semi-modern era and before that, Larry Csonka.  I wouldn't consider Rocky Bleier elite, but he was pretty good.  He did have one 1000+ yd season in 1976.
Couldn't agree more. I don't care how many yards he rolls up playing against those paper mache pac 10 defenses, there are at least a half dozen RBs I'm taking in next years draft before I bet on a 205 lb white halfback. 

Where are you guys getting your data base of player race/skin tone from?  Ive never seen that listed on any of the usual stat services...

What % of whiteness would you need to decide an RB was "white" for these purposes?  One drop rule?  Three-fifths compromise?

Hard to see why it would matter, unless you believe there is institutional bias on NFL teams against developing white Rb talent.  

Where are you guys getting your data base of player race/skin tone from?  Ive never seen that listed on any of the usual stat services...

What % of whiteness would you need to decide an RB was "white" for these purposes?  One drop rule?  Three-fifths compromise?

Hard to see why it would matter, unless you believe there is institutional bias on NFL teams against developing white Rb talent.  
Do you think it's a coincidence that in the last thirty years you can count on one hand the number of white RBs who have had seasons worth a damn? Is it a coincidence there are zero white cornerbacks in the league and there hasn't been one since Jason 'toast' Sehorn? 

Name some elite white RB talent in the NFL the last 30 years?  Keyword "elite".

Users who are viewing this thread