What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (2 Viewers)

I was offered CMC for Barkley and Antonio Brown and turned it down.  I countered with Barkley and Brown for CMC, Elijah Moore and a 2022 1st (devy league) and was turned down.  So, my feelings are that if I traded for CMC I would need a discount.  Not give one on Barkley.

It's comical.  You visit the thread of any injured stud and all you read are people complaining about how their season is doomed.  But those people are too embarrassed to open the Mike Davis and Allen Robinson thread to complain they drafted a dud.
I drafted Kamara, Mixon and Davis so I'm still trying to tabulate my score there...

"Fragile" Fred Taylor earned his nickname when he missed 23 games over his first 5 seasons in the league.
Christian McCaffrey will have missed 23 games over his first 5 seasons in the league.

"Fragile" Fred Taylor earned his nickname when he missed 23 games over his first 5 seasons in the league.
Christian McCaffrey will have missed 23 games over his first 5 seasons in the league.
Actually, Fred missed those games in his first 4 seasons, not 5.

I was offered CMC for Barkley and Antonio Brown and turned it down.  I countered with Barkley and Brown for CMC, Elijah Moore and a 2022 1st (devy league) and was turned down.  So, my feelings are that if I traded for CMC I would need a discount.  Not give one on Barkley.
Oof.  I own both, and I’m snap accepting McCaffrey in the deal you were offered.  Your counter is crazy town.  I don’t quite understand the feeling that you’re “giving a discount” on Barkley.  He’s been downright awful even when he’s played.  And there’s only a 1.5 year age difference here.  McCaffrey is the RB1 when he’s active, and his game (elite receiving back) will age far better than Barkley’s will.  

Oof.  I own both, and I’m snap accepting McCaffrey in the deal you were offered.  Your counter is crazy town.  I don’t quite understand the feeling that you’re “giving a discount” on Barkley.  He’s been downright awful even when he’s played.  And there’s only a 1.5 year age difference here.  McCaffrey is the RB1 when he’s active, and his game (elite receiving back) will age far better than Barkley’s will.  
I trust Barkley health more than CMC.  Plus he’s younger.  Almost two years is a lot in NFL RB years.  The big issue however, is CMC’s health the last two seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in dynasty/keeper think he's tradable this offseason for anything approaching decent value?
I have Taylor/Kamara/Sanders/Etienne in my dynasty league.  I'd put together a package with Sanders or Etienne for CMC.   That's it.  That's not decent value for a guy who was recently the consensus #1 pick, but fantasy football moves on.

Actually I trust Barkley’s health going forward more than CMC’s
It's freaking bonkers that the guy with a torn ACL already under his belt is considered the healthier player.  And I'm not really disagreeing with you, just commenting I guess on the fact that ACL's (other than missing 1 year) are basically treated like a broken finger.  Once you've returned, you're fine, no big deal...

The Athletic's Joseph Person said the Panthers would "listen to offers" for Christian McCaffrey this offseason. 

Person added that "it’s hard to imagine teams would give up much for a player who’s missed 23 of the past 33 games and still has $44 million left on his contract." McCaffrey, signed through the 2025 season, has two straight lost seasons thanks to constant ankle and soft tissue injuries. It's possible McCaffrey will never return to his 2019 form, when he handled an astounding 404 touches as the centerpiece of the Carolina offense on his way to 2,392 yards and 19 touchdowns. McCaffrey, who hasn't played since Week 12 and was placed on injured reserve in late November, will likely return as the team's primary ball carrier in 2022. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jan 7, 2022, 9:33 AM ET

I can only see a rebuilding team with no shot possibly trading for this guy. Just let that big contract rot on a dead cap team and then let it all fall off the books just in time for rebuild.

2023 $12M in dead cap is the earliest reasonable time to cut him. 

$14M!!! That's the cap hit next year- what type of reasonable contender would do that, unless they found themselves in good fortune to have good salary cap flexibility or very advantageous rookie contracts to go all in?

I can only see a rebuilding team with no shot possibly trading for this guy. Just let that big contract rot on a dead cap team and then let it all fall off the books just in time for rebuild.

2023 $12M in dead cap is the earliest reasonable time to cut him. 

$14M!!! That's the cap hit next year- what type of reasonable contender would do that, unless they found themselves in good fortune to have good salary cap flexibility or very advantageous rookie contracts to go all in?
I know this would never happen but imagine if Tampa had the cap space to trade for him.  

Christian McCaffrey dismissed concerns about NFL running backs' longevity, calling it "stuff for Twitter." 

McCaffrey, 25, has missed 23 of the Panthers' past 33 games with a laundry list of injuries. "That stuff is for the birds," CMC told reporters Monday when asked about a back's shelf life in pro football. He described his NFL career as a "marathon," and said he would do anything and everything to be 100 percent for the start of the 2022 regular season. The Athletic's Joseph Person reported last week that the team would "listen to offers" for McCaffrey, but that it's "hard to imagine" a team taking on an injury-plagued running back with $44 million left on his contract. McCaffrey's tantalizing PPR upside will ensure he's a first-round pick in 2022 drafts. 

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter 

Jan 10, 2022, 10:29 AM ET

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said he "fully expects" Christian McCaffrey to be on the roster next year when asked if the team would consider trading him.

Rhule added that the team has considered using McCaffrey in the slot more and noted that he is interested in how the next Panthers OC will use him. The McCaffrey trade rumors were floated around last offseason but never got much steam. They will undoubtedly resurface again this year but it would be surprising for anything to materialize in terms of a trade. After missing 23 games over the past two years, the market for a seemingly injury-prone running back on an expensive contract won't be massive. The Panthers are better off keeping their elite talent in-house with the hopes that he can stay healthy and rebound under a new coordinator. McCaffrey remains an elite fantasy pick heading into the 2022 seeason.

SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter

Jan 10, 2022, 1:41 PM ET

ESPN's David Newton reports the Panthers would "consider" trading Christian McCaffrey for "a first-round pick and another player without a big salary cap number."

It would be quite the move after the Panthers gave McCaffrey a massive contract extension last offseason. Head coach Matt Rhule in January said he "fully expects" the oft-injured McCaffrey to be on the team's roster in 2022, dismissing trade rumors that have circulated for months. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 8, 2022, 10:42 AM ET

Boy, If I were a contending team I'd be really talking to Carolina right now.

I doubt the 1st+ is what they will actually accept(especially with only 1 pick in the 1st 3 rounds this year) so its possible that, A) Carolina will take a decent amount less in a trade, and B) Will likely take on a lot of CMC's salary. 

If that is the case, I'd be highly interested in acquiring a versatile playmaker if I were a contending team. Imagine the difference a guy like that would make for say, Buffalo, or KC, or maybe even SF(especially if Car has interest in Jimmy G)

Boy, If I were a contending team I'd be really talking to Carolina right now.

I doubt the 1st+ is what they will actually accept(especially with only 1 pick in the 1st 3 rounds this year) so its possible that, A) Carolina will take a decent amount less in a trade, and B) Will likely take on a lot of CMC's salary. 

If that is the case, I'd be highly interested in acquiring a versatile playmaker if I were a contending team. Imagine the difference a guy like that would make for say, Buffalo, or KC, or maybe even SF(especially if Car has interest in Jimmy G)
I would take Buffalos 2nd rounder now and not look back.  They are not getting a 1rst, they just arent but if I am buff I throw a 2nd and maybe a 6th.  That would be a fun team to watch with cmac and allen in the backfield

I may roll the dice at #1. Any others considering him over Taylor?

Like they say, round 1 is where you can lose a fantasy league not where you win one. So I'd personally go with the safer Taylor, but woudln't fault you if you wanted the extreme upside of CMC in PPR.

I tend to gravitate towards the back ends of our drafts if possible. We start 3WRs, so I often go WR-WR in those leagues.
(In 1-2 leagues we have a lottery and pick our draft spots)

I am in other leagues though, that are "randomized" just prior to the draft, so I never know quite where I am going to get until right before the draft.
If I happen to go off #1 anywhere, I am seriously debating on someone else other than Taylor. With all the recent coach commentary about workload reduction, only a goose would think he is likely to repeat as #1 RB in fantasy. (since that very rarely happens ANYWAY)
So if you aren't going with the consensus #1 RB, then who do you go with? You can pretty much pick your poison with another top 4-5 RBs, and CMC has as much upside as any, IF he is healthy that is.
There is a noticeable lack of news stories about CMC coming out of camp though, thats a bit of a concern to me.

I just may go CMC if I happen to draw #1 anywhere, but that's a longshot for me to get #1 in any event. So I can't fault you if you DO* go CMC first.

:football:

I tend to gravitate towards the back ends of our drafts if possible. We start 3WRs, so I often go WR-WR in those leagues.
(In 1-2 leagues we have a lottery and pick our draft spots)

I am in other leagues though, that are "randomized" just prior to the draft, so I never know quite where I am going to get until right before the draft.
If I happen to go off #1 anywhere, I am seriously debating on someone else other than Taylor. With all the recent coach commentary about workload reduction, only a goose would think he is likely to repeat as #1 RB in fantasy. (since that very rarely happens ANYWAY)
So if you aren't going with the consensus #1 RB, then who do you go with? You can pretty much pick your poison with another top 4-5 RBs, and CMC has as much upside as any, IF he is healthy that is.
There is a noticeable lack of news stories about CMC coming out of camp though, thats a bit of a concern to me.

I just may go CMC if I happen to draw #1 anywhere, but that's a longshot for me to get #1 in any event. So I can't fault you if you DO* go CMC first.

:football:
I don't think Taylor will be the #1 RB, but what you're looking for from a #1 pick is kind of to be a top 5RB. Taylor is the safest bet to be a top 5 RB, and I think he finishes around RB3 (no clue who will end up top 2, I just see a bit of regression from Taylor). That said, if he finishes RB3, I'm thrilled. He's my top pick for sure.

If you knew right now that every RB in the league was going to stay healthy all season, where would you draft CMC?

If you knew right now that every RB in the league was going to stay healthy all season, where would you draft CMC?
Probably #1, especially in PPR. In the same vein, I’d probably have Barkley at #3.
In 2019, CMC was such a stud... How studly was he?
CMC was so far ahead of the pack, the PPR RB2 was Aaron Jones, who could've rushed for 1500 MORE YARDS and still finished as RB2.
His 150.4 point difference between RB1 and RB2 is the most ever, and will never be duplicated.
I had to add that last bit, just so someone would argue with me.

If I knew CMC would stay healthy all season, with Baker at QB, I see CMC getting the Chubb + Hunt combined with a little D'Ernest Johnson thrown in too.
~ 275 carries for 1300 yards (4.75 ypc) 12 TDs with 45 rec/70 targets 380 yards and 4 TDs
Somewhere in the value of 350-360 PPR Points .
I would put that 1.02 behind JT.

If I knew CMC would stay healthy all season, with Baker at QB, I see CMC getting the Chubb + Hunt combined with a little D'Ernest Johnson thrown in too.
~ 275 carries for 1300 yards (4.75 ypc) 12 TDs with 45 rec/70 targets 380 yards and 4 TDs
45 receptions for a full season of McCaffrey? Seems about half of what he’d have if he plays 17 games.

45 receptions for a full season of McCaffrey? Seems about half of what he’d have if he plays 17 games.
Yeah, but the OL is not up to him having same routes .... I thought it was a little low too, but Offense is not the same as 2019 and new OC ... not sure what to expect.

#1 - but I'd still have some apprehension he'll get hurt even under the scenario where we know he won't.
As much time as CMC has missed in the last two years I don't see how he can go so high in startups, especially #1. It's almost like fantasy owners are ignoring this fact.

Probably #1, especially in PPR. In the same vein, I’d probably have Barkley at #3.
In 2019, CMC was such a stud... How studly was he?
CMC was so far ahead of the pack, the PPR RB2 was Aaron Jones, who could've rushed for 1500 MORE YARDS and still finished as RB2.
His 150.4 point difference between RB1 and RB2 is the most ever, and will never be duplicated.
I had to add that last bit, just so someone would argue with me.

He probably won't ever duplicate that season, but if you just take all the games he has played the last 2 years and take out the couple he left early then he still averages like 25 Ppr per game. That is quite a bit better than Taylor last year and better than Henry in 2020.

If CMac is healthy his average year is overall RB1 and if he goes off you could have Ameer Abdullah as your rb2 and still not be at a disadvantage.

Users who are viewing this thread