Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Football Team Thread

dgreen

If Rumors are true, Haskins has forced the coaches hands here. Sounds like he's been incredibly immature and has no one but himself to blame that he's being dumped. But yes, this team needs to improve that o-line desperately, and needs more weapons on offense. They should spend EVERY pick in this 2021 draft on offense. The defense isn't the problem

32 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

If Rumors are true, Haskins has forced the coaches hands here. Sounds like he's been incredibly immature and has no one but himself to blame that he's being dumped. But yes, this team needs to improve that o-line desperately, and needs more weapons on offense. They should spend EVERY pick in this 2021 draft on offense. The defense isn't the problem

Agree o-line has been problematic for a while.  We do need improvement in the secondary tho.  But i don’t see Haskins being traded right now.  What could we even get for him at this point?  At this point play him see if he can look better and then trade him if that’s the plan.  Why send Alex in there to get beat up?  And Allen sucks.  

42 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Agree o-line has been problematic for a while.  We do need improvement in the secondary tho.  But i don’t see Haskins being traded right now.  What could we even get for him at this point?  At this point play him see if he can look better and then trade him if that’s the plan.  Why send Alex in there to get beat up?  And Allen sucks.  

Its about the culture change I think. And yeah, I doubt they get more than a 5th or 6th for him. 

My quick thoughts:

1.  Benching Haskins is a win now move.  I have heard they could challenge for the playoffs, or better qb play helps evaluate other players and change the culture.  

2.  Plain and simple, Haskins' growing pains are no longer worth the upside of his development.  I think Rivera has determined Haskins in not the QB of the future.

3.  It is amazing the Redskins continually invest in a new QB that the coaches don't want.  Haskins was in a no-win situation last year.  The lack of training camp probably really hurt him this year.

9 minutes ago, Marvelous said:

It is amazing the Redskins continually invest in a new QB that the coaches don't want. 

Actually its long past becoming predictable....Jeff George, Donovan McNabb, RGIII, his son's high school buddy Dwayne Haskins. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/09/30/steve-spurrier-says-he-couldnt-even-pick-his-quarterback-during-his-second-year-with-the-redskins/

30 minutes ago, Marvelous said:

My quick thoughts:

1.  Benching Haskins is a win now move.  I have heard they could challenge for the playoffs, or better qb play helps evaluate other players and change the culture.  

2.  Plain and simple, Haskins' growing pains are no longer worth the upside of his development.  I think Rivera has determined Haskins in not the QB of the future.

3.  It is amazing the Redskins continually invest in a new QB that the coaches don't want.  Haskins was in a no-win situation last year.  The lack of training camp probably really hurt him this year.

Right but to be fair, we dont have a team built to win now.  Sure our division is awful and now with dak gone maybe its possible but i even doubt that.  And if we were to win the division by chance no way we win a game.  No QB will have success in this offense.  I kind of feel like Haskins would be better to be honest for this offense right NOW after seeing what i just saw. 

And you are correct about investing in Haskins.  He was always going to be a longer term project that needed about 3 years ideally sitting behind a vet.  But we didnt have a good vet to hold us down.  It was a poor decision in hindsight to draft him.  You cant say you will give him time to learn without doing so. 

And yes lack of training camp did hurt him.  he really has had limited true reps with the 1st team and in games.  how many games has he started? 13?  Most of which he was not put in a good position for success?  I think the best course forward is to just let him play.  Either he shows something or he doesnt.  If he doesnt we have a high draft pick.  If he does we know more about this team.  I dont really see  a difference between the QBs right now.  I love Alex, but i just dont feel right with him behind center with this o-line.  We arent winning this season so lets evaluate young talent.  I think the only reason for not starting him would be to allow more success on offense so young talent can develop but we had our worst offensive performance yesterday and Haskins didnt play.  That does speak volumes. 

Edited by PinkydaPimp

It will be interesting to see if Haskins lasts the week. 
After being benched for being an immature ### (and bad QB), he pulls this “I’m too sick to show up to work” bull#### on Sunday. 

At this point I would not be surprised to see him cut outright

• Like 1

To me the mistake was starting Haskins game 1.  If he wasn't ready because of scheme, maturity, lack of training camp, footwork, etc. - he should have been on the bench.  Then they wouldn't be in this mess.  He could sit and learn, and while he'd probably pout, it wouldn't be a total disaster.  He'd still be a viable option at some point in the season.  Now he's toast.   I'd guess that whoever coached this year was under a mandate to develop (and start) Haskins.  If so, that person (Snyder) messed this up.  If Rivera actually picked Haskins to start game 1 and ditched him after game 4, to me Rivera should have known what was going to happen.  Bad OL + young skill players + QB not ready = QB getting benched.  What other way was it going to end?

Edited by Brunell4MVP

6 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Kyle Allen is horrendous.  Much worse than Haskins.  I’d rather let Haskins play at this point. 

The last time we saw Haskins he had 71% completion, 0 TDs and 3 sacks. 

Today Allen had 73.8% completion, 2 TDs and 3 sacks. And an INT. 

I didn’t watch either game, why do you think Haskins is better?

15 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

The last time we saw Haskins he had 71% completion, 0 TDs and 3 sacks. 

Today Allen had 73.8% completion, 2 TDs and 3 sacks. And an INT. 

I didn’t watch either game, why do you think Haskins is better?

Well, first, Kyle knows the offense better i would expect him to execute better.  Those stats are misleading as alot of it came in garbage time and note they were playing a winless team haskins played better teams and has won a game. Kyle also made many bad decisions including one that cost them the game when he should have run the ball in the endzone.  He had two fumbles as well.  Honestly, forgetting the stats he just looked bad.  I watched the entire game.  Maybe someone saw something different than i did.  But you can see on twitter the reactions "Kyle Allen is bad. Washington's staff must hate Haskins because they aren't better with Allen in at QB."  The first question in the post game presser was whether Kyle would get benched btw.  so i think most felt that he was bad.

John Keim

@john_keim

·

3h

For those wondering: When asked if Kyle Allen would start next week, Rivera said, "I would like to think so...." rattled off the good and bad. Team moved the ball more consistently. Obviously the turnovers killed them again.

Im not saying Haskins has played well.  And really i dont think any QB can truly get this offense going as exhibited when all 3 have been in the game.  But i dont believe based on what i have seen Allen is a guy who can be a true starter.  So if they are both generally speaking the same, why not let haskins play?  We invested alot in him, we arent competing this season, we cant trade him right now as his value is low, so what do we have to lose letting him play?  I dont see a downside tbh. 

12 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Well, first, Kyle knows the offense better i would expect him to execute better.  Those stats are misleading as alot of it came in garbage time and note they were playing a winless team haskins played better teams and has won a game. Kyle also made many bad decisions including one that cost them the game when he should have run the ball in the endzone.  He had two fumbles as well.  Honestly, forgetting the stats he just looked bad.  I watched the entire game.  Maybe someone saw something different than i did.  But you can see on twitter the reactions "Kyle Allen is bad. Washington's staff must hate Haskins because they aren't better with Allen in at QB."  The first question in the post game presser was whether Kyle would get benched btw.  so i think most felt that he was bad.

Im not saying Haskins has played well.  And really i dont think any QB can truly get this offense going as exhibited when all 3 have been in the game.  But i dont believe based on what i have seen Allen is a guy who can be a true starter.  So if they are both generally speaking the same, why not let haskins play?  We invested alot in him, we arent competing this season, we cant trade him right now as his value is low, so what do we have to lose letting him play?  I dont see a downside tbh. 

It sounds like Allen is a little better right now but he's not really starter material any more than Haskins.  The key question to me is whether Haskins has sufficient potential to be the Washington Football Team's starting QB.  If he does, then you are taking a serious gamble (Riverboat Ron) benching him now and taking all those reps away from him.  If you take Rivera at his word, he's playing Allen now because a.) he sees the opportunity to make waves in the NFC East, and even if Allen is a little bit ahead, he may increase your chances of winning RIGHT NOW and b.) he feels that Haskins is holding back the development of the entire team and Rivera is responsible for the entire team not just Haskins alone.  The terrible two point conversion attempt (which I disagreed with) provides further insight into Rivera's mindset.  He says that he is trying to instill a winning culture / attitude into WFT football.  It appears that building this culture to him is more important than building up Haskins.  What the media and many fans have done, essentially, is equate Haskins development to the WFT development.  However, it appears that Rivera does not equate the two as many fans do.

This is a gamble -- a bigger gamble than the two point conversion, that only cost the team a win in a throwaway development year (no, we're not likely winning the NFC East).  The risk is that you've punted on your number 1 pick just 1 season and 4 games into his career.  If it turns out Haskins DID have the updside to be a starter -- which he may achieve elsewhere -- adn Rivera had to go for cheap wins now, that will be a pretty serious mistake.

The other possibility is that Haskins simply doesn't have it -- that he was a Snyder pick that neither Gruden nor Rivera ever saw serious starting potential in.  That not only his accuracy, footwork, and decision making are questionable, but also his maturity and attitude.  That the coaches see this so much more than the fans or media do.  And that Rivera is doing the dirty work by standing up to Snyder and getting leveled by ungrateful fans and media in the process.

I still think the smart move for Rivera was probably to give Haskins the season and then if it didn't work out, move on.  But it's too late for that.  Allen will start again. 

I would say yay, we may get Trevor Lawrence but the Jets are gonna beat us to him.  Smart money is we have a new starting QB all together next year, that we'll spend another first round pick instead of going OL like we DESPARATELY need. 

Not feeling hopeful.

• Like 1

I agree that the Jets will probably wind up with the #1 and will be adding Lawrence. I think we should give Haskins a full tryout/review. Washington is not going to win the division with its current roster. I understand Rivera saw a sliver of hope in a weak division and wanted Allen to provide a spark, he doesn't have it and is not the future of the team. All of that beings said, we will go into 2021 with major needs at QB and OT/OL. There are some intriguing prospects behind Lawrence and the OL looks like it can provide quality options in round 2 on. I think the team should focus on those two positions.

Look, both Allen and Haskins suck right now regardless of the team around them and who they have played.  Both packed in garbage time yards.  Neither looks good.  Their weapons are limited, but even if you slapped them on KC, both of them would find a way to lose.

So to me, it's about ceiling.   Which one in 2-4 years could actually be decent.

• Allen - I think his ceiling looks pretty low.  Like if everything was perfect around him, maybe he's the 25th best QB in the league.  He does not have a playoff caliber arm.  I mean, with that dud of an arm he's got to be Petyon like genius behind center, and he's not.  He has great feet, but after that, not seeing it.  NYG stinks.  And he did nothing.
  • Haskins - I think you have to give him another shot.  Probably after the bye week.  His ceiling is maybe 15th best QB in the league.  He's slow.  He's apparently immature but that's only hearsay I'm going by.  He's got a decent arm and size, but after that, not seeing it.  But if everything came together he could be a mid tier NFL QB.
  • Smith -  He'd be off the team if they didn't owe him big $s.  No matter how great the story is.  And he's 36.  He's not the future,

Smith's leadership + Haskins arm + Allen's feet =  maybe the10th best QB in the NFL.

Haskin's leadership + Allen's arm + Smith's leg = maybe the 50th best QB in D3...err, well you get the point.

None of these QBs has shown a thing in the last 2 years.  But I think you have to let Haskins roll for the last 8 or so games to see if it starts to click.  It won't but that's the only thing worth a try for this season.

I'd also like them to trade Kerrigan and Scherff right now to playoff teams.  Get anything possible.

Edited by Brunell4MVP

How long ago was it that people were arguing that WAS shouldn't trade down to pick #3 or #4 and just draft Tua?

People were honestly asking why you would rather have Tua at pick #4 PLUS ANYTHING ELSE rather than just sitting at at pick #2 and drafting Tua. Oh, those were fun times. Still haven't seen Tua play yet but I'd rather have Tua waiting in the wings than half a dozen DLmen with first round pedigrees and they still can't stop a completely toothless NYG offense.

2 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

He's apparently immature but that's only hearsay I'm going by.

It’s not hearsay. 
He missed the final drive of his first career win because he was ####### taking selfies with fans and wasn’t ready to go into the game. 
I have zero doubt that he was bragging about his passing stats in a loss. 

57 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

It’s not hearsay. 

I have no idea if this is true or not, but if you have two separate coaching regimes (Rivera and Gruden) publicly leaking the same information about the owners’ hand picked first round quarterback, seems to me there must be some truth. 

one could argue that if Rivera wants to “change the culture” in an an organization that’s rotten to the core, sending a message that prima donna behavior by anyone, especially this player, is unacceptable  by starting  an undrafted, limited talent “effort guy” at QB makes sense

I don’t necessarily agree...let Haskins play out the streak and start fresh next year. But there is so much I don’t understand about this franchise...

Edited by doeseatplace

I blame Bruce Allen and Danny  for all of this.  Should have fired Bruce before that season brought in the new regime and let them build at that time.  Instead Rivera is stuck with a qb he doesn’t like who was drafted poorly knowing he needed time to develop with no veteran option to lead the team while he waits.  Now he’s got to go get another one and start over.  Sigh.

anyway slap Haskins back in and let’s see what he does.  I would rather know for sure.

Edited by PinkydaPimp

It is okay to admit I was proud Ron went for 2 but happy we didn't convert. At this point, I'd love to tank so we can get a true franchise QB, something this team desperately needs. So whatever QB gives us the best chance to lose, start him! (I've cheered for this team since the 70s, but I've accepted without a very good to elite QB, you aren't winning any meaningful games in today's NFL) 

1 hour ago, PinkydaPimp said:

anyway slap Haskins back in and let’s see what he does.  I would rather know for sure.

I have seen enough already, and I think Ron has too. Haskins doesn't have it. The days of a QB needing years to develop are over. You know when a young QB has got the goods right away now. It was obvious with Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Murray, Burrow, and Herbert. Each of those guys showed almost immediately they were franchise QBs. Haskins has shown he's average at best.  

Edited by ffmail4me
  • Laughing 1

On 10/19/2020 at 5:24 PM, Brunell4MVP said:

Look, both Allen and Haskins suck right now

I read that Haskins practice habits plunged after he won the starting job.  If I am the coach and they both suck, I am always playing the guy that works hard and is hungry.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:24 PM, Brunell4MVP said:

I'd also like them to trade Kerrigan and Scherff right now to playoff teams.  Get anything possible.

In the NFL, trading players usually gets you very little.  They may get a 5th round pick for each of them.  If they leave via free agency, you may get a 4th round compensation pick a year later.  Of course if you sign free agents, it can cancel out and you don't get the comp pick.

12 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

I have seen enough already, and I think Ron has too. Haskins doesn't have it. The days of a QB needing years to develop are over. You know when a young QB has got the goods right away now. It was obvious with Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Murray, Burrow, and Herbert. Each of those guys showed almost immediately they were franchise QBs. Haskins has shown he's average at best.  

See i disagree.  Haskins was drafting knowing he needed time. Those qbs you mentioned weren’t in the same situation.  And even mahomes got time to sit and learn.  Haskins was thrown in with no practice into a terrible offense.  He hasn’t gotten that time to learn.  He only got practice with the 1s last season when he took over had no preseason this year and is still learning.  I think there is no downside to letting him play.  If he’s that bad we get a better draft pick.  If he plays better we can get more value in a trade.  🤷🏽‍♂️

he was never the qb that was going to come in and take over right away it was always known he needed time.  

bow granted i don’t know he will ever develop but it’s worth a shot letting him try.  

• Smith: $20,300,000
  • Haskins: $3,276,000
  • Allen: $585,000

The only reason I put these 2020 salary numbers up is that it's almost comical that the one starting is making $585K and he's the only one that isn't on the payroll next year.   To say Rivera has no idea where he's heading at QB is an understatement.  He's putting more faith and reps into the one least likely to be on the payroll in 2021.

Edited by Brunell4MVP

I really hope we can do something these next couple years to take advantage of some of the young talent. Youngest team in the league, right?

McLaurin and Gibson are fun to watch. Get them a QB and some OL help.

Young (21), Payne (23), Settle (23), Sweat (24), and Allen (25) will hopefully be around for a while to anchor the defense. They have the luxury of being able to move some of them for LB/DB help, but hopefully they can build the rest of the defense without having to sacrifice anything on the DL. Oh, and Ioannidis will still only be 27 at the start of next season.

No matter what happens with the worst division of all time this year, focus has to be on the future over the present. From a confidence and winning-breeds-winning standpoint, I have no problem with them trying to win the division this year. That would be great for some of these young guys to get a taste. But, as a fan, no reason to get excited about being 1/2 game out. If they do it, great. If they don't, that's fine too.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:26 PM, Brunell4MVP said:

The only reason I put these 2020 salary numbers up is that it's almost comical that the one starting is making $585K and he's the only one that isn't on the payroll next year.   To say Rivera has no idea where he's heading at QB is an understatement.  He's putting more faith and reps into the one least likely to be on the payroll in 2021.

It's been said before but what this team needs more than anything is a culture change.  This isn't a winning year, but showing the team that high effort players get to play over high drafted bums shows the rest of the roster that will be there next year what kind of team this is.

None of these qbs are the answer.  Ron knows that.  They can be a message to the rest of the team though.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Washington is playing well enough to win a few games this year and possibly out of the top 3 QB's taken in the draft.  What's their long term plan at QB if this is the case?

That’s a great question.  It doesn’t look like they have a clear cut franchise guy on the roster currently.  That said, I do agree with Rivera’s approach that the best way to build a winning team is to try to win every game and not tank.  He seems to be of the mindset that you don’t sacrifice all the current players just to get Trevor Lawrence.  So, I think he thinks he IS looking long term, building a winning culture long term.  That doesn’t mean he knows who next years QB is right now.  He probably would like to see Allen grow into it, but that’s obviously a long shot.  In short, we’ll see what they do after the season I guess.  (Shrug)

1 minute ago, MikeApf said:

That’s a great question.  It doesn’t look like they have a clear cut franchise guy on the roster currently.  That said, I do agree with Rivera’s approach that the best way to build a winning team is to try to win every game and not tank.  He seems to be of the mindset that you don’t sacrifice all the current players just to get Trevor Lawrence.  So, I think he thinks he IS looking long term, building a winning culture long term.  That doesn’t mean he knows who next years QB is right now.  He probably would like to see Allen grow into it, but that’s obviously a long shot.  In short, we’ll see what they do after the season I guess.  (Shrug)

Ya I'm not suggesting losing on purpose or anything.... just curious what they'll do in the possible case that a few more wins takes them out of the Lawrence, Fields, Lance sweepstakes.  I suppose there is a chance they could trade up a couple spots for Fields or Lance.

If not, is Dak an option?

4 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Ya I'm not suggesting losing on purpose or anything.... just curious what they'll do in the possible case that a few more wins takes them out of the Lawrence, Fields, Lance sweepstakes.  I suppose there is a chance they could trade up a couple spots for Fields or Lance.

If not, is Dak an option?

I guess Dak would be an option if Dallas is foolish enough to let him go.  Many Dallas fans are down on Prescott but I’d take him in a heartbeat.  But you are right that it’s conceivable that they won’t be able to draft a top QB so if Allen is not the answer you really are looking at those second tier guys in free agency.  Fitzpatrick?  Tribiski? Winston?  Who knows ... or draft a project in the third round.  I really think if you asked Rivera TODAY he would say he wants to see if Allen can step up...we will see...

On 10/22/2020 at 12:26 PM, Brunell4MVP said:

Based on his history with Rivera, I think Allen has the best odds of being the backup QB in 2021. 
The other two definitely will not be on next year’s roster 

44 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Based on his history with Rivera, I think Allen has the best odds of being the backup QB in 2021. 

I'd agree with that. Rivera knows he doesn't have a franchise QB on the roster. I hope we draft QB, WR, OL, TE, OL, OL, OL next year. I'd be very happy with that kind of draft :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Who at QB?  Outside the big 3, there's nothing until the end of the 1st. 

so i'm a legit Eagles fan, but man oh man is the WFT defense enjoyable to watch:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1320427987481874433?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1320427987481874433|twgr^share_3%2Ccontainerclick_1&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-cowboys

will be fun rest of the season, good chance the division may come down to the last week of the season.

31 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Personally I just pray they don’t reach for QB outside that top 3.  They need OL badly.  I’d rather go OL if the value is there then fill in with QB from the second tiers.  Without an OL that QB growth will be severely compromised anyways.  Just my two cents

3 hours ago, Deamon said:

I'm fine with any stop gap veteran.  Outside of a massive roster overhaul, they aren't competing next year either.

Possible free agents/trade targets include Dak, Darnold, Figsmagic, Stafford, Tyrod, and probably some others that I can't think of.  Every one is an improvement.

39 minutes ago, Marvelous said:

I am surprised there is no analysis of last Sunday's game.  So my quick analysis:

Wow, the Cowboys are bad.

Right.

The best thing I can say about the WFT is at least they did their job and took advantage of a struggling team. We can discount the win based on Dallas being injured and terrible, but long time Washington fans also know that we have often laid an egg on such Sundays.  So that's a start.  It's not just you go from 1.) losing to everyone to 2.) beating everyone.  Maybe step 1.5 if winning some of the easier games you should win?

More detailed analysis would include:

1.  Yes, defensive line is strength of team.  THose guys can wreak havoc when they are unleashed.  Our offense is only mediocre at this point but DL may give us a chance to be in the game vs. NYG, Cinci and Detroit.  Not predicting wins, just we may be in it.

2.  Last year the offensive find was Terry McLauren. This year it is Antonio Gibson.  I knew he was good in space.  But he impressed me how tough he was grinding for yards inside.  IT was nice to see a game where we committed to the run. The longer passes to McL and Thomas don't happen  unless we establish the run so well.

3.  Logan Thomas a very serviceable TE at this point. I still think we need to draft one at a certain point but you throw all those passes to Sprinkle and he catches one out of 4.  With all the WR injuries, Thomas is the # 2 receiving option at this point.  Other than that, good god we need another WR or two.

4.  Kyle Allen was fine.  He's not setting the world on fire but if he can not turn the ball over he may game manage us to wins against average teams, on the strength of our defense. NIce touch on the deep ball to #17.

5.  Don't know if it was a function of Dallas horrible DL but Cornelious Lucas do ok in place of Christianson...leave him there?  Me, even with all those drafting QB talk, I still think we need to draft OL more than QB...

Don't know what to make of the win other than we beat a bad team.  But don't poo poo it Washington fans.  We're a decades long losing team at this point that hasn't always won these games.  It's ok to enjoy it and maybe even build on it if you believe in Rivera.  The next 3 games will be telling...

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-considering-signing-safety-eric-reid-to-replace-injured-landon-collins-per-report/

Worth it to bring in Eric Reid or do you give youngsters like Curl or Reeves the big chance?  

I don't see any reason not to bring him in and kick the tires.  He's a solid veteran, yet only 28, and he knows Rivera's system.  Honestly, the only "bad thing" people say about him is he supported Collin Kaepernick.  I say big deal to that if he can tackle and pass defend...

8 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-considering-signing-safety-eric-reid-to-replace-injured-landon-collins-per-report/

Worth it to bring in Eric Reid or do you give youngsters like Curl or Reeves the big chance?  

I don't see any reason not to bring him in and kick the tires.  He's a solid veteran, yet only 28, and he knows Rivera's system.  Honestly, the only "bad thing" people say about him is he supported Collin Kaepernick.  I say big deal to that if he can tackle and pass defend...

i say evaluate the youngsters.  we are rebuilding anyway. 

3 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

i say evaluate the youngsters.  we are rebuilding anyway. 

Looks like it’ll be Curl

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30204486/free-agent-eric-reid-declined-washington-practice-squad-offer-wants-starter

WFT offered Reid a spot on the practice squad but Reid said he only wants to start.  Amazing he’d rather sit at home than at least get back into the game.  I mean you can still sign with another team from PS. 

But I think Curl is supposed to have promise.  Let’s see what he can do...

I will say Kyle Allen was the #1 QB prospect out of HS, and #7 in the country.  Think Myles Garrett was #1 overall that year.   Obviously 7 years ago doesn't matter.  But it's possible Rivera sees something in him that was seen long ago and never developed in college.  And the scouting report is that everything is NFL level except for occasional mental lapses.  Not sure I've seen the mental lapses yet here.  But all the INTs in Carolina indicate he's a 2021 backup, the other guys get cut, and they draft a guy.  The FA QB pool doesn't look all that good except for Dak.

• Like 1