Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Football Team Thread

Still think we should be playing Haskins.  He was benched when we had one win.  We have only had one win since.  I’d rather see if Haskins can improve.  Or see if he can come back man up and take the benching as a learning experience and put in work.  Hell worst case if he can play well we can trade him for more.  

Having said that kudos to Alex on his come back. 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ummm...that's terrible behavior but... That's it?

I like to see guys stay, too, and I think Cousins is a decent QB. But he's gone already. Sure, he'll play this year, but only for the franchise $$$ and not because he wants to be here. I really don't

It's like the first present you open being a video game for a gaming system you don't have. You then expect that appropriately shaped wrapped box in the back to be the gaming system. But it's not. It'

I would like to see less McKissic and more Gibson. McKissic had 8 rushes and 15 targets for 49 yards. That’s horrible. Gibson was a WR so I don’t get why McKissic has to get so much of the 3rd down and 2 minute offense work. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, dgreen said:

I would like to see less McKissic and more Gibson. McKissic had 8 rushes and 15 targets for 49 yards. That’s horrible. Gibson was a WR so I don’t get why McKissic has to get so much of the 3rd down and 2 minute offense work. 

Completely agree.  

2 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Still think we should be playing Haskins.  He was benched when we had one win.  We have only had one win since.  I’d rather see if Haskins can improve.  Or see if he can come back man up and take the benching as a learning experience and put in work.  Hell worst case if he can play well we can trade him for more.  

Agreed. I don't see any upside to playing Alex Smith. There's no sense making a run at this joke of a division. They need to know what they have in Haskins and even if they've made up their mind, then they could try to at least build some trade value. He's got zero right now. 

As you know I'm a salary cap junkie, mainly cause I think it's where the WFT has screwed up the most over the years.  But they are actually in a pretty decent situation going into 2021. 

They have a lot of mid tier guys that will be shown the door IMO.   Players like Hamilton, Sprinkle, Stroman and others that really don't add playmaking will certainly be shown the door since almost none of their salaries are dead cap.  They will let Kerrigan and Scherff walk.  And those were some high salaries in 2020.  They will probably try to restructure and extend Jonathan Allen.  They will likely keep on Moses and let him play out the last 2 years of his deal.  Too many other holes to fill to be looking for a RT.

They essentially have $51M + ~$8M for mid level cuts .... before dealing with the QB issues.

The dinosaur in the room is Alex Smith.  Cutting him saves $14.7M in cap space.  So do you keep him?  With ~$59M in cap space, do you really need to cut him?   Do you need that extra $14.7M so bad you'd go into the season with Haskins and a rookie?   Interesting decision even if you draft a QB in Rd 1.  Is Smith worth having around as an insurance policy.  Do you just re-sign Kyle Allen for 1 more year at a discount rate and save ~$11M cutting Smith?

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, dgreen said:

Agree completely. Problem seems to be Norv Jr. is getting a crash course in coaching without all world talent. CMac ain’t walking through that door. Probably not the best idea to run your offense through a journeyman satellite back. The kid is in over his head and a terrible nepotism hire. Panthers North has been a bust so far.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
19 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

I think Ron has made his mind on him already but I agree. At least try to salvage some trade value. If playing him leads to more losses and a higher draft pick, even better.

Haskins has no trade value.   If he did he would have been gone mid season.  

If he plays and is the same below average QB he's been for 2 years, nobody is giving up more than a 4th rounder for him.  Name one other team that would even want him.  Go.  Can't do it.  The bad teams either just got a new QB, have a good injured starter,  or are about to pick a top QB next draft.  I mean if you want him off the roster you can take nothing for him.  But he's probably better on a rookie contract riding the bench as deep insurance.

Even if he started every game the rest of the way and had a QBR of 150 he isn't tradable.  Cause in that case he's starting for the WFT next year.   Which will go bad too.

Play him, don't play him ... it doesn't matter. 

Edited by Brunell4MVP
On 11/9/2020 at 1:02 PM, Johnny Utah #9 said:

I want no part of another Ohio State QB. Haskins looked great in that system too. Who’s the last QB to come out of that school and do well in the pros? I’ll wait.

You can probably rest a lot easier after the dog of a game Fields is having today. Horrid decision making on full display first time it isn't a total creampuff opponent.

• Like 1
On 11/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, DallasDMac said:

You can probably rest a lot easier after the dog of a game Fields is having today. Horrid decision making on full display first time it isn't a total creampuff opponent.

I just want the Fields hype to keep rolling so that we have a chance to take Zach Wilson after the first two guys are gone...

On 11/16/2020 at 1:02 PM, Johnny Utah #9 said:

I think Ron has made his mind on him already but I agree. At least try to salvage some trade value. If playing him leads to more losses and a higher draft pick, even better.

I believe Haskins will get another shot, just because it is the NFL.  But I think Smith is the QB in the near term, including next year.  If Haskins flops at his next shot, be it on the field or on the practice field when the public cannot see it, he will be the 2nd or 3rd string QB until his rookie deal is up.  Unless someone is willing to trade a 5th - 7th round pick for him.

Just for fun:  NFC East Strength of Schedule coming home...

https://www.giants.com/news/strength-of-schedule-nfc-east-logan-ryan-wife-marc-colombo-dave-deguglielmo

Strength of remaining schedules in tight NFC East race

Dallas Cowboys (3-7):  Football Team, Ravens, Bengals, 49ers, Eagles, Giants.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 21-37-2 (.367)

Washington Football Team (3-7):  Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks, Panthers, Eagles.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 31-29-1 (.516)

New York Giants:  Bengals, Seahawks, Cardinals, Browns, Ravens, Cowboys.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 31-28-1 (.525 combined winning percentage)

Philadelphia Eagles:  Seahawks, Packers, Saints, Cardinals, Cowboys, Football Team.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 34-26 (.567)

Notes: 

Dallas has the easiest SoS by a sizeable margin, with the Ravens being the only truly intimidating game.  For WFT, this makes this Thursday's game pretty much a "must win" if they have any playoff aspirations whatsoever.

The Giants currently hold a slight edge over the rest of the division with the 3-2 record against the NFC East. Both Philly and Washington are 2-2 in division play, while Dallas sits at 1-2.   Giants are also 2-0 vs. Washington Head to Head.  

Yes, I know, I know.  "No one in this division deserves to be in the playoffs."  "We suck and would be better off with a high draft pick."  "We will just be killed in the first round anyway."  etc.  To which I say:

1.  Lighten up, we watch football because it's fun.  And it's fun to have a shot.

2.  Even though we've struggled, maybe just maybe it's good for a young team to have something to play for, to learn to play games that "count."  Think about Kirk Cousins, he never truly learned to consistently rise to the occasion in the important moment.  Maybe this experience, with calm Alex Smith at the helm, will be good learning experience for our young players?

3.  Still think $$ says we win 2 more games TOPS and miss the playoffs but fun to have something to root for beyond draft pick...

• Like 1

If the Skins can shut down the running game like they have quite often this year, I think they have a solid shot to win this game. Even though I've honestly been in tank mode to get a franchise QB, I'm all in now. This division sucks so bad someone is going to be playoff bound with a losing record :bag: Why not us? 

• Like 1
On 11/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, MikeApf said:

https://www.giants.com/news/strength-of-schedule-nfc-east-logan-ryan-wife-marc-colombo-dave-deguglielmo

Dallas Cowboys (3-7):  Football Team, Ravens, Bengals, 49ers, Eagles, Giants.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 21-37-2 (.367)

Washington Football Team (3-7):  Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks, Panthers, Eagles.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 31-29-1 (.516)

New York Giants:  Bengals, Seahawks, Cardinals, Browns, Ravens, Cowboys.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 31-28-1 (.525 combined winning percentage)

Philadelphia Eagles:  Seahawks, Packers, Saints, Cardinals, Cowboys, Football Team.  Combined record of remaining opponents: 34-26 (.567)

Notes: 

Dallas has the easiest SoS by a sizeable margin, with the Ravens being the only truly intimidating game.  For WFT, this makes this Thursday's game pretty much a "must win" if they have any playoff aspirations whatsoever.

The Giants currently hold a slight edge over the rest of the division with the 3-2 record against the NFC East. Both Philly and Washington are 2-2 in division play, while Dallas sits at 1-2.   Giants are also 2-0 vs. Washington Head to Head.  

Yes, I know, I know.  "No one in this division deserves to be in the playoffs."  "We suck and would be better off with a high draft pick."  "We will just be killed in the first round anyway."  etc.  To which I say:

1.  Lighten up, we watch football because it's fun.  And it's fun to have a shot.

2.  Even though we've struggled, maybe just maybe it's good for a young team to have something to play for, to learn to play games that "count."  Think about Kirk Cousins, he never truly learned to consistently rise to the occasion in the important moment.  Maybe this experience, with calm Alex Smith at the helm, will be good learning experience for our young players?

3.  Still think $$ says we win 2 more games TOPS and miss the playoffs but fun to have something to root for beyond draft pick...

I agree 100% with you about the importance of winning the division vs tanking for high picks. I copied and pasted below my reply in the Eagles thread. As a Dallas fan I respect the job Ron has done in Washington and look forward to a hard fought traditional game tomorrow. Whoever wins deserves to take the East title and build on next year on a positive team triumph in a bad year. Hoping good luck that neither team comes away with injuries and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Copy & pasted

I think tanking games on purpose does way more damage than good. First off you are assuming that Philly, or ANY team is going to hit on their first round draft pick. That’s not anywhere close to a 100% guarantee (especially in Philly), and we all know you can’t predict the injury factor for any of them. So to say “let’s quit trying and lose games so we can draft higher than our division rivals” doesn’t guarantee a stud draft, just guarantees that you told your team they are losers. Cowboys drafted 17th last year and was gifted CeeDee. No way he should have fell to them, but good players fall all the time. Consequently the Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russell, Andre Wadsworth types (showing my age now) end up busting to the teams who may also have told themselves “let’s quit and lose out, so to draft high”. So the difference between drafting 5/6/7 doesn’t really mean that much more success than drafting 18/19/20. However, for a team like Dallas I think the fact that they lost their leader, a QB who was leading the league and having a pro bowl year, but could still manage to fight to get better to the point they win the division- shows the team that they MATTER. That they fought the odds and weren’t told to be quitters. That speaks volumes about the confidence the coaches have in them and something to build on. Are the Cowboys or whoever wins the East going to get throttled and knocked out first round? Very probable. But a division title and a hard fought season that ends up with a 20ish draft spot seems much better than having a team that coaches, owners and players are a bunch of quitters hoping that their 5th round pick is the sole Savior to what ails them. Picks dont guarantee winners , but quitting guarantees losers. That is 100%.

12 hours ago, G-King said:

I agree 100% with you about the importance of winning the division vs tanking for high picks. I copied and pasted below my reply in the Eagles thread. As a Dallas fan I respect the job Ron has done in Washington and look forward to a hard fought traditional game tomorrow. Whoever wins deserves to take the East title and build on next year on a positive team triumph in a bad year. Hoping good luck that neither team comes away with injuries and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Copy & pasted

I think tanking games on purpose does way more damage than good. First off you are assuming that Philly, or ANY team is going to hit on their first round draft pick. That’s not anywhere close to a 100% guarantee (especially in Philly), and we all know you can’t predict the injury factor for any of them. So to say “let’s quit trying and lose games so we can draft higher than our division rivals” doesn’t guarantee a stud draft, just guarantees that you told your team they are losers. Cowboys drafted 17th last year and was gifted CeeDee. No way he should have fell to them, but good players fall all the time. Consequently the Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russell, Andre Wadsworth types (showing my age now) end up busting to the teams who may also have told themselves “let’s quit and lose out, so to draft high”. So the difference between drafting 5/6/7 doesn’t really mean that much more success than drafting 18/19/20. However, for a team like Dallas I think the fact that they lost their leader, a QB who was leading the league and having a pro bowl year, but could still manage to fight to get better to the point they win the division- shows the team that they MATTER. That they fought the odds and weren’t told to be quitters. That speaks volumes about the confidence the coaches have in them and something to build on. Are the Cowboys or whoever wins the East going to get throttled and knocked out first round? Very probable. But a division title and a hard fought season that ends up with a 20ish draft spot seems much better than having a team that coaches, owners and players are a bunch of quitters hoping that their 5th round pick is the sole Savior to what ails them. Picks dont guarantee winners , but quitting guarantees losers. That is 100%.

Well said!  Good luck tomorrow and Happy Thanksgiving...

On 11/24/2020 at 7:44 PM, dgreen said:

I’m excited about Thursday. I like the idea of a Thanksgiving game in Dallas for the division lead. 

I'm with you.  Looking forward to a competitive division slugfest that means something....hell with the win loss records

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

All the talking heads think Dallas is going to win and in some cases, big. Guess Chase Young needs to introduce himself to Andy Dalton again ;)

Trust me, EVERYONE in the league knows Chase. Hopefully Dallas has a game plan, otherwise it will be Garrett Gilbert by half time lol. 

No way Dallas wins big, I’d say this should be a pick em game, either team winning on the final drive. Because it’s a home game and possibly an inspired game with the death of most of the teams close friend... Dallas 23 WFT 21

Smith is showing he can lead us this year and possibly next too (we should draft a QB and we can bring him along slowly if need be) I've been saying all year, this team is a 2nd legit WR and TE from being a legit playoff team. (and not just a playoff team out of the crappy NFC East) This D is legit...and so young...they are just going to get better and better. Same with McLaurin and Gibson. 

Edited by ffmail4me
  • Like 1
Just now, ffmail4me said:

Smith is showing he can lead us this year and possibly next too (we should draft a QB and we can bring him along slowly if need be) I've been saying all year, this team is a 2nd legit WR and TE from being a legit playoff team. (and not just a playoff team out of the crappy NFC East) 

A couple (or even one) cover corners would be useful...that's the one big weakness of this D.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

Smith is showing he can lead us this year and possibly next too (we should draft a QB and we can bring him along slowly if need be) I've been saying all year, this team is a 2nd legit WR and TE from being a legit playoff team. (and not just a playoff team out of the crappy NFC East) This D is legit...and so young...they are just going to get better and better. Same with McLaurin and Gibson. 

Well you guys are probably going to be a playoff team this year.  Looking like the cream of the crop in this division (especially now that you have a legit QB)

Edited by fred_1_15301
Just now, fred_1_15301 said:

Well you guys are probably going to be a playoff team this year.  Looking like the cream of the crop in this division.

While I agree I also acknowledge we'd only be in playoff position in this division. NFC East is just horrible. But I do think Washington fans have a lot of reason to have hope for this year and the future. Ron has been huge for this franchise. And Gibson and Young just HUGE draft hits. 

• Like 1

Yea, Football Team is probably the favorite at this point.  We'll see how the Giants do, but this win basically knocked Dallas out, which warms my Eagle heart.

Also agree that six wins could easily win this. I'm not sure Giants or WAS can get to seven.  Think Eagles cap at five.

39 minutes ago, Insein said:

SF is very winnable. First one to 6 wins the division I think. 5 may still get it. 

SF is definitely winnable. Win that and WFT might be able to get to 7-9 with games against Carolina and Philly. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dgreen said:

SF is definitely winnable. Win that and WFT might be able to get to 7-9 with games against Carolina and Philly. 

I look at every game being a struggle.  We lost to the giants twice and the lions.  Heck, today’s game was actually very close most of the day.  It may have remained close If Mike McCarthy doesn’t make some of the most truly stupid in game decisions I’ve ever seen in my life.

That said what gives me some hope is that I think the team is making progress.  Antonio Gibson is growing into the roll and our three headed running game is getting better.  Like how Gibson, Barber and McKissic all contribute.  Alex Smith in charge helping the young guys at this point.

IF our defense can keep us close maybe a slightly improved Offense can steal one of these next three games.  7-9 would be a great accomplishment for this team.  Not predicting it but gives us something to shoot for, so maybe we can hit the ground running next year...

Fun game...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, babydemon90 said:

Yea, Football Team is probably the favorite at this point.  We'll see how the Giants do, but this win basically knocked Dallas out, which warms my Eagle heart.

Also agree that six wins could easily win this. I'm not sure Giants or WAS can get to seven.  Think Eagles cap at five.

Yeah it’s a crap shoot how many game skins will win.  7-9 would be over achieving, 6-10 would be more likely, and 4-12 still quite possible.  

I still think the main goal is to develop for next year but it’s sure nice to have a short term goal to shoot for...

• Like 1
On 11/24/2020 at 9:53 AM, MikeApf said:

With the win yesterday, if Football Team beats Philly, they are in really good shape with a 5-11 record.  Philly does is not likely to win 2 of their remaining games.  Dallas would need need 4 wins since they lose on a tie breaker.  So can the Giants win 2 of their last 6?  Bengals and Cowboys are the most likely, and maybe the Browns.  

I think we can beat the Niners and Philly. That would put us in good shape. Unfortunately I think the Giants still may be in the driver’s seat here, as they have been playing better of late and their schedule is easier going forward.

Yesterday was glorious though. Given that I hoped the Skins weren’t tempted to draft Fields or Lance, picking up a few wins here at the expense of draft order isn’t as much of a hit as it would be in most years. Might just save them from themselves. Somebody has to win this garbage division. Why not us?

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
  • Like 1

I can definitely see that WFT has a chance of getting to 6 wins.  SF, Car, Philly — win 2 of 3 is possible

But it really worries me that giants could also get to 6 and win the tie breaker.  If they win anything beyond Cincinnati and Dallas that could be enough.

WFT has to be of the “take care of your own business” mindset and try to run SF, Carolina and Philly.  But those games are not just winnable, they are also very losable. None of those teams “suck” and they all have very talented players.

A good test for a young team . . .

• Like 1

An interesting side not to Pitt-Balt being moved to Tuesday is that WFT all of sudden gets Pitt coming off short rest while we have extended rest.  Like that’ll make a lot difference!  But, better to have the advantage than not have it.

There is also the possibilty that they’ll move WFT-Steelers game to Monday.  And you know how well we play Monday night!😂

• Laughing 1