Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Football Team Thread

Smith has impressed...just with the leadership.  He's the best QB this team has right now.  Haskins simply doesn't have the mobility or intangibles that Smith does. Maybe he will get some of them by osmosis.

But one play really irked me in that Dallas game, and it shows why Smith was never as good as Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc.  (I know...who is...but the play still irks me).

Washington was up like a TD and had the ball.  DAL defense is totally confused.  They have the wrong guys on the field and half of their D is within 20 yards of their sideline trying to figure it out.  WAS offense is set and lined up.  Rather than quick snapping and finding the uncovered WR (there were 2 of them with not one single CB within 15 yards of them), Smith waits for DAL to get organized.  Then decided what to do.  What he does is throw a crappy interception that is returned to like the 10 yard line.  If that interception is run all the way back, I think this game could have gone the other way.

Smith is a vet.  He should have quick snapped and slung the ball to either player on the right side of the formation.  At minimum they gain 15 yards.  Might have even gone all the way since DAL safeties were looking at their sidelines confused.

It's stuff like this that kept Smith from being great in SF or KC.  He's always had the talent and been above average.  His comeback is beyond words.  But the ability to go off schedule isn't there, which kept him from being far more than he was.  He has done this where he hasn't gone after backup CBs too.  Guy gets hurt, CB comes in game...a vet has to go after that.

Just my opinion.  He's a solid QB and guy, easily the best on the roster.   Just wish he would sense when there is an opening to take advantage of.  

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ummm...that's terrible behavior but... That's it?

I like to see guys stay, too, and I think Cousins is a decent QB. But he's gone already. Sure, he'll play this year, but only for the franchise $$$ and not because he wants to be here. I really don't

It's like the first present you open being a video game for a gaming system you don't have. You then expect that appropriately shaped wrapped box in the back to be the gaming system. But it's not. It'

17 hours ago, MikeApf said:

I can definitely see that WFT has a chance of getting to 6 wins.  SF, Car, Philly — win 2 of 3 is possible

But it really worries me that giants could also get to 6 and win the tie breaker.  If they win anything beyond Cincinnati and Dallas that could be enough.

WFT has to be of the “take care of your own business” mindset and try to run SF, Carolina and Philly.  But those games are not just winnable, they are also very losable. None of those teams “suck” and they all have very talented players.

A good test for a young team . . .

Yeah the tie breaker with the Giants is a big concern. We really have to hope Danny Dimes gets back to his turnover prone ways and the Gmen drop some games they should win. They caught a huge break with Burrow getting knocked out for this week.

Philly I feel the most confident about getting a win of the three. Wentz is completely out of sorts and playing like one of the worst QBs in the league right now. And their coaching staff is doing him no favors by continuing to favor the pass over the run. Their o-line continues to pile up the injuries. Our D-line will feast. Considering we were the team who started the Iggles on their tailspin this year in week 1, I like our chances.

SF will be tougher, as young Shanny can scheme up offense regardless of the scrubs he has in there. The rush defense is going to really need to step it up that game.

Carolina will be the most interesting matchup of the three imo. Will Ron and Turner have any edge there knowing the Carolina defensive players well? We will see. You know the players will be fired up for Ron in that game. Obviously our odds go up if the Panthers do the smart thing and shelf CMac for the rest of the season.

We have some interesting weeks ahead of us, and it’s actually on the field for a change which is nice. Been a while since we could say that. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Yeah the tie breaker with the Giants is a big concern. We really have to hope Danny Dimes gets back to his turnover prone ways and the Gmen drop some games they should win. They caught a huge break with Burrow getting knocked out for this week.

Philly I feel the most confident about getting a win of the three. Wentz is completely out of sorts and playing like one of the worst QBs in the league right now. And their coaching staff is doing him no favors by continuing to favor the pass over the run. Their o-line continues to pile up the injuries. Our D-line will feast. Considering we were the team who started the Iggles on their tailspin this year in week 1, I like our chances.

SF will be tougher, as young Shanny can scheme up offense regardless of the scrubs he has in there. The rush defense is going to really need to step it up that game.

Carolina will be the most interesting matchup of the three imo. Will Ron and Turner have any edge there knowing the Carolina defensive players well? We will see. You know the players will be fired up for Ron in that game. Obviously our odds go up if the Panthers do the smart thing and shelf CMac for the rest of the season.

We have some interesting weeks ahead of us, and it’s actually on the field for a change which is nice. Been a while since we could say that. 

I think Football Team gets to six. Giants have potential for six as well. Obviously that isn't great for ya...  But I think Football Team is the only one that *could* get to seven here. 

Eagles I think cap at 5 - maybe 4.

So - win Eagles, Panthers, 49ers.  It's doable. Not easy.

Well, in a plot twist that can only be described typical Skins, it now appears none other than old friend Colt McCoy could be a major player in the drama of the battle for the NFC Least throne. 

I still can’t believe Jay didn’t bring his boy down to Jax, but here we are. I honestly don’t know how to feel about this development and how it affects the our chances for the division. Danny Dimes was playing somewhat better recently, but he is still always a threat to completely give the game away. Colt isn’t going to add much offensively, but he’s not a turnover machine like Jones. You would hope this Jones injury would hurt the Gmen’s chances down the stretch, but I’m not so sure.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
45 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Well, in a plot twist that can only be described typical Skins, it now appears none other than old friend Colt McCoy could be a major player in the drama of the battle for the NFC Least throne. 

I still can’t believe Jay didn’t bring his boy down to Jax, but here we are. I honestly don’t know how to feel about this development and how it affects the our chances for the division. Danny Dimes was playing somewhat better recently, but he is still always a threat to completely give the game away. Colt isn’t going to add much offensively, but he’s not a turnover machine like Jones. You would hope this Jones injury would hurt the Gmen’s chances down the stretch, but I’m not so sure.

Giants are probably still the favorites since they have the tiebreaker, but if they slip up or WAS can pull a game out unexpectedly...

FWIW, I actually think you have a shot at an upset vs the Steelers. Moreso then the records would indicate anyway.

42 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

i think the upset shot is Seattle.  they've lost 3 of their last 5 and have a bad D.  Their wins aren't that impressive either. 

The Seattle game comes down to Washington D stopping Wilson from making off schedule plays.  Seattle’s defense this year is not as awesome as in the past so maybe we eke out 17 points.  Therefore If rhe D plays inspired that’s your chance.  

i still predict losses to Pitt and Seattle.  The path is to win 2 or 3 of the other games.  Win 3 and I think WFT is in.  Win 2 and you got a chance if NYG stumble...

2 hours ago, MikeApf said:

The Seattle game comes down to Washington D stopping Wilson from making off schedule plays.  Seattle’s defense this year is not as awesome as in the past so maybe we eke out 17 points.  Therefore If rhe D plays inspired that’s your chance.  

i still predict losses to Pitt and Seattle.  The path is to win 2 or 3 of the other games.  Win 3 and I think WFT is in.  Win 2 and you got a chance if NYG stumble...

Man Philly is in the game, if they win tonight don’t forget about them.  If they get to 6 then their tie may vault them to the title...

Edited by MikeApf

Super Bowl Contenders  🤣

Smith continues to confound me.  Sometime in the first half they went for it 4th and goal.  He threw the ball away.  Really?  It's 4th down.  Toss it up.  There was a flag that bailed them out and they scored.  But still, he threw it away on fourth down.  And if he knew there was a flag on PIT, it's even worse.  He refuses to take a chance with the ball even when it is 100% required. 

Edited by Brunell4MVP
7 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Super Bowl Contenders  🤣

Smith continues to confound me.  Sometime in the first half they went for it 4th and goal.  He threw the ball away.  Really?  It's 4th down.  Toss it up.  There was a flag that bailed them out and they scored.  But still, he threw it away on fourth down.  And if he knew there was a flag on PIT, it's even worse.  He refuses to take a chance with the ball even when it is 100% required. 

He just led your team to a win in Pittsburgh against the 11-0 Steelers and you are beefing?  Jeez, enjoy the win why don't ya? 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

What happened to Gibson?

"Turf toe" I think ... jammed toe...whatever.  I think those things can either be a week or two or linger for months. Depends up on the severity.  This is a big deal for Washington.  We don't really have another guy who does all that he can do...both run inside, break it outside, catch.  Barber is a battering ram and McKissic is a pass catcher.  I think with either in the game you are forecasting your play selection a little more.  This is where we need a healthy Bryce Love.

That said, I think the WFT needs to start McKissic and use safe little dump passes like first down runs.  Teams do that, and they could do it with McKissic...until Gibson can return.

ETA:  Note that McKissic's box score shows he caught 10 balls on 10 targets..that underscores my point that this receptions are "like runs that can be broken", though surely SF is gonna be looking for this (which should open up something else???)

Edited by MikeApf

Question:  does the WFT have it's # 2 WR in Cam Sims?  If so -- along with Thomas emerging at TE -- that provides so much more flexibility in next year's draft, which I still believe needs to be focused on OL and QB (even if Smith returns).

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

He just led your team to a win in Pittsburgh against the 11-0 Steelers and you are beefing?  Jeez, enjoy the win why don't ya? 

I like Smith.  I'm glad they won.  But he didn't lead them to anything.  Nothing.  They won despite him.  The defense did all the work.  Smith has 4 TD and 5 INTs on the year.  His QB rating is 26th in the league.  Against such juggernaut teams as DAL, CIN without Burrow, NYG, DET, and a PIT team that played a doubleheader and clearly ran out of gas in the 2nd half.  The defensive scheme WAS played was really well thought out and why they won.

I don't like Haskins, but if he makes the same mistake on 4th down that I mentioned, it's all anyone is talking about today.  Not to mention if he had thrown 4 TDs and 5 INTs, he'd be getting hammered.  Smith is doing it after 14 years in the NFL.  Awful.  Is he a better leader than any of WAS QB.  100%.  Is he playing well?  No.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
3 hours ago, MikeApf said:

"Turf toe" I think ... jammed toe...whatever.  I think those things can either be a week or two or linger for months. Depends up on the severity.  This is a big deal for Washington.  We don't really have another guy who does all that he can do...both run inside, break it outside, catch.  Barber is a battering ram and McKissic is a pass catcher.  I think with either in the game you are forecasting your play selection a little more.  This is where we need a healthy Bryce Love.

That said, I think the WFT needs to start McKissic and use safe little dump passes like first down runs.  Teams do that, and they could do it with McKissic...until Gibson can return.

ETA:  Note that McKissic's box score shows he caught 10 balls on 10 targets..that underscores my point that this receptions are "like runs that can be broken", though surely SF is gonna be looking for this (which should open up something else???)

Bryce Love is out for the year. They didn't activate in time after taking him off IR and put him back on IR last week.

Not sure what they do at RB and with the running game. I agree McKissic can be used in the passing game as an extension of the run game but it would be nice if there's someone who can get decent yards between the tackles. Is there a FA out there they can pick up? Like a vet who can just step in and give them something?

2 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

I like Smith.  I'm glad they won.  But he didn't lead them to anything.  Nothing.  They won despite him.  The defense did all the work.  Smith has 4 TD and 5 INTs on the year.  His QB rating is 26th in the league.  Against such juggernaut teams as DAL, CIN without Burrow, NYG, DET, and a PIT team that played a doubleheader and clearly ran out of gas in the 2nd half.  The defensive scheme WAS played was really well thought out and why they won.

I don't like Haskins, but if he makes the same mistake on 4th down that I mentioned, it's all anyone is talking about today.  Not to mention if he had thrown 4 TDs and 5 INTs, he'd be getting hammered.  Smith is doing it after 14 years in the NFL.  Awful.  Is he a better leader than any of WAS QB.  100%.  Is he playing well?  No.

Man, I don't know. He stood in there against some serious pressure in that second half and kept flipping pass after pass out to McKissick. And then he dropped that haymaker to Logan Thomas in the 4th quarter to give them hope.

I thought he played pretty well. 

And as far as leading them? They are a completely different team with him leading the team. He is a pro and at least has brought them relevance. If that's not a leader, then I don't know what is. 

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, dgreen said:

Bryce Love is out for the year. They didn't activate in time after taking him off IR and put him back on IR last week.

Not sure what they do at RB and with the running game. I agree McKissic can be used in the passing game as an extension of the run game but it would be nice if there's someone who can get decent yards between the tackles. Is there a FA out there they can pick up? Like a vet who can just step in and give them something?

That's a great question.  I'm sure the team is scouting around.  Random thought...Lamar Miller now sits on Bears practice squad.  Wonder about his health/current ability???  It really all depends on how long Gibson is gonna be out.  If one game, then maybe roll with what we have and scheme around it.  Beyond that, yeah, might be worth kicking the tires on someone...

45 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Man, I don't know. He stood in there against some serious pressure in that second half and kept flipping pass after pass out to McKissick. And then he dropped that haymaker to Logan Thomas in the 4th quarter to give them hope.

I thought he played pretty well. 

And as far as leading them? They are a completely different team with him leading the team. He is a pro and at least has brought them relevance. If that's not a leader, then I don't know what is. 

Right.  He's bringing intangable leadership neither Haskins or Allen can bring.  I agree Haskins can make all the throws, etc. But he still needs time to season.  I was all for giving Haskins more time earlier in the season to see what we had.  But at this point, there are only 4 games to go and we have at least a 50-50 shot at making the playoffs.  You have to go for it with the guy that gives you the best chance to win...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

That's a great question.  I'm sure the team is scouting around.  Random thought...Lamar Miller now sits on Bears practice squad.  Wonder about his health/current ability???  It really all depends on how long Gibson is gonna be out.  If one game, then maybe roll with what we have and scheme around it.  Beyond that, yeah, might be worth kicking the tires on someone...

Lamar Miller was active for the Bears in week 10 with Montgomery out. He played 5 snaps and caught 2 passes for 6 yards. Patterson, Pierce and Nall all played more snaps than he did. Then they sent him back to the practice squad.

Thats not very promising.

My first thoughts were Bilial Powell or Jay Ajayi but it looks like they have both been signed by their former teams this week. I wonder who else is out there?

• Like 2

I agree there hasn't been much impressive about Alex Smith's play since he arrived here. It shouldn't be difficult to upgrade at that position next year from a skill and passing production standpoint.

However, it's hard to ignore the team's splits with and without Smith. Maybe that's just more a comment on their other options than it is about Smith, but the team is clearly better with him.

Team is 9-5 when he starts and 6-24 when he doesn't start.

Team averages 22.0 points per game when he starts and 16.8 when he doesn't start.

Team averages 340 yards per game when he starts and 278 when he doesn't start.

Both 22 ppg and 340 ypg are below league average the last three seasons. League average is around 23 and 350.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, dgreen said:

I agree there hasn't been much impressive about Alex Smith's play since he arrived here. It shouldn't be difficult to upgrade at that position next year from a skill and passing production standpoint.

However, it's hard to ignore the team's splits with and without Smith. Maybe that's just more a comment on their other options than it is about Smith, but the team is clearly better with him.

Team is 9-5 when he starts and 6-24 when he doesn't start.

Team averages 22.0 points per game when he starts and 16.8 when he doesn't start.

Team averages 340 yards per game when he starts and 278 when he doesn't start.

Both 22 ppg and 340 ypg are below league average the last three seasons. League average is around 23 and 350.

Key stat vs Pittsburgh is zero turnovers.  With a team building identity around defense and the run that’s a key stat.

That said, I agree we should add a QB next year, perhaps from the draft, who can get more yards and points.  But for right now, with the options we have, Smith is giving us a chance.

Still holding out hope for Zach Wilson but we may or may not be in the right spot at years end, we’ll see...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

You sound like you have an axe to grind. 

I was talking about Smith and last night's game, not the whole season.  He made some big throws down the stretch that helped them win the game. 

Haskins would get crushed more, yes, because he doesn't have any equity in the NFL built up.  Smith has been a good QB for most of his career, so he is going to more benefit of the doubt than a guy who has been a major bust to date. 

But hey, enjoy the win. :lol: 

26 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

You sound like you have an axe to grind. 

I was talking about Smith and last night's game, not the whole season.  He made some big throws down the stretch that helped them win the game. 

Haskins would get crushed more, yes, because he doesn't have any equity in the NFL built up.  Smith has been a good QB for most of his career, so he is going to more benefit of the doubt than a guy who has been a major bust to date. 

But hey, enjoy the win. :lol: 

A point about Smith’s 4 TDs and 5 INTs this year.  That is against a larger context: 3 of those INTs were that horrendous giants game and meanwhile his lifetime ratio is something like 200 TDs 100 INTs.  So it’s really not fair to act like smith is a guy with a 1-1 TD to INT ratio.  We all know Smith is a guy who takes care of the ball.  And that’s the number 1 thing a defensive team needs.  Now all that said I agree with all the comments here that we need an upgrade at QB.  So I’m not saying smith is Rogers or Wilson either...hes not the guy to bring you back in a hurry Or win a shootout and that’s a downside.  I’m all in on drafting one of  the top four next year if he’s available.  At the same time, I do think he deserves a bit of credit for adding some stability on the team that’s keeping it in contention.  That’s not nothing.

ETA:  focusing just on 4 TDs, 5 INTs is implicitly punishing Smith that Gibson runs the ball in the end zone, as If Gibson scoring means Smith has no value on the drive.  This is the difference between real football and fantasy football though.  It’s not JUST the stats that count...

Edited by MikeApf
  • Like 2

I think Alex Smith has been a very good QB throughout his career.  Not in the upper tier, but still very good.  I think the big question was has he lost anything due to the injury or the fact that he is now 36 years old.

The injury clearly has limited his mobility.  But it doesn't look like his age is an issue. He looks the same as before.  Very efficient.  Very accurate.  But not spectacular.

• Like 1
Just now, Marvelous said:

I think Alex Smith has been a very good QB throughout his career.  Not in the upper tier, but still very good.  I think the big question was has he lost anything due to the injury or the fact that he is now 36 years old.

The injury clearly has limited his mobility.  But it doesn't look like his age is an issue. He looks the same as before.  Very efficient.  Very accurate.  But not spectacular.

My hope is that Haskins is learning from him how to be a starting qb.  Both on the field and off.  And then he gets one more shot. At that point he would know the offense and have been coached by Alex and the coaches.  

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

My hope is that Haskins is learning from him how to be a starting qb.  Both on the field and off.  And then he gets one more shot. At that point he would know the offense and have been coached by Alex and the coaches.  

It’s a nice thought that we could possibly salvage something from that Haskins pick, but as long as Rivera is here (which is going to be a while) I think Haskins is a sunk cost. I wasn’t crazy about the pick to begin with, as it seemed to be made for all the wrong reasons (Snyder) but it was defensible given our situation. But between Haskins and his agent airing their grievances and his subpar play, I think the ship has sailed on his time in DC. 
For me at least, one nice byproduct of this run we are having is it takes us out of the draft range to take Fields or Lance. I’ve been against drafting these two all along, so this run of wins just might save the Skins from themselves come draft time.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
37 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

You guys did us a solid in 2010 and gave us a 2nd rounder for McNabb. We might need y'all to do it again here with Wentz... little earlier then we planned on but still.

Yeah, as bad as the Skins QB situation might look right now, it always could be worse. We could be the Iggles. That Wentz contract is a total disaster. And I would be shocked if Hurts is the answer for them as well.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
28 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Yeah, as bad as the Skins QB situation might look right now, it always could be worse. We could be the Iggles. That Wentz contract is a total disaster. And I would be shocked if Hurts is the answer for them as well.

yea very unlikely, I mean he's a 2nd rounder, success rate there isnt good. 

4 straight W's

1 game under .500

Sole possession of 1st place in NFC East

Control their own destiny (likely lose to Seattle, but Panthers and Eagles are winnable with a healthy Alex Smith. Giants likely won't beat both Ravens and Browns, if either).

Chase Young resembles a young Mike Tyson.

If the offense could buy the defense some time of possession, there's no telling how good the D could be.

Not what I expected going into September.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, nittanylion said:

4 straight W's

1 game under .500

Sole possession of 1st place in NFC East

Control their own destiny (likely lose to Seattle, but Panthers and Eagles are winnable with a healthy Alex Smith. Giants likely won't beat both Ravens and Browns, if either).

Chase Young resembles a young Mike Tyson.

If the offense could buy the defense some time of possession, there's no telling how good the D could be.

Not what I expected going into September.

This was the formula i wanted.  Strong d.  Figure it out on offense.  Honestly i think the team has been better since Rivera’s treatments stopped.  I would imagine that he wasn’t able to do as much as it wanted.  Especially after hearing his interview the other day.  Now they are kind of catching up.

still not a great team nor would they win in the postseason but i like the young talent.  Something to build on.  Maybe we win the division. Maybe we end in heart wrenching Washington fashion.  Who knows.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1
On 12/9/2020 at 7:17 PM, PinkydaPimp said:

Did you see any signs of growth/development in his play tonight?

2 minutes ago, doeseatplace said:

Did you see any signs of growth/development in his play tonight?

He played ok.  almost threw a pic at the end(got lucky it was dropped).  Hard to say only seeing 2 quarters.  Still look forward to seeing more from him.  just not this season.  I have heard from the players that he is working harder.  Thats a good sign.  Hes still in a new offense though.  would be tough to know where he stands this season at this point.

Chase Young had an LT-like game. Really excited to see where's headed and love where he is right now. Hopefully he can fulfill what we all know Sean Taylor could have been.

Jonathan Allen needs some love. He had a great game. He's quietly a really good player and is overshadowed by others.

This offense is rough. Missing Gibson is huge. Smith was really bad today. Couldn't hit anything early. Haskins looked pretty good early but that near INT was horrendous. That's an easy completion to your best offensive player and he couldn't hit it.

• Like 2

Nice win yesterday.  Great job by the D.  They've been doing it for a few weeks.  Awesome to be leading the division.

I have no ax to grind with Smith as someone implicated.  I mean really, who grinds an ax over the internet?  12 years olds?   Like these guys even know who we all are chatting on a message board.   Smith is a great story.  He's a leader.  He's tough.  I hope they win every game he starts.  He will certainly win comeback POY.   And if Haskins is forced to play the rest of the year I hope they win every game he plays too.

But drop the rah rah for a second and look at it objectively.  Haskins and Smith are essentially the same QB.  Both have a 79 QB rating.  Both have QBRs between 30-35.  All worse than 30th in the league.  Smith has 4 TDs and 6 INTs.  Haskins has 4 TDs and 3 INTs.  All that has happened is the Defense found their groove a few games ago (soon after they benched Apke FWIW).

So is it bad QB play or the weapons around them?  Well, Kyle Allen had 4 TDs, 1 INT, a 99 QB rating, and a 75 QBR.   Kyle f*in Allen was able to do it.  So why can't a 1st round drafted QB or 14 year NFL #1 pick veteran QB?   Stew on this.... Allen's season QB rating and season QRB are higher than any single game Smith or Haskins have had.   

I have more hope than Smith can find his groove than Haskins, so hopefully he can go the year.  But their QB stats AND the teams offensive numbers in games they played say they are the same exact player.  I hope Smith can get it up to Kyle Allen level, cause I think being in the playoffs would be a huge for this team's belief in itself.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
12 hours ago, dgreen said:

Chase Young had an LT-like game. Really excited to see where's headed and love where he is right now. Hopefully he can fulfill what we all know Sean Taylor could have been.

Jonathan Allen needs some love. He had a great game. He's quietly a really good player and is overshadowed by others.

This offense is rough. Missing Gibson is huge. Smith was really bad today. Couldn't hit anything early. Haskins looked pretty good early but that near INT was horrendous. That's an easy completion to your best offensive player and he couldn't hit it.

I agree with you 100%.  

Interesting...the team has progressed to what many of us thought they could be this year:  a.) really good defense and b.) limited offense that still needs some key pieces.  In many ways, win, lose or draw the rest of the way, Rivera and del Rio have moved the ball forward on this team.  No one thought they were gonna win the super bowl, but we just wanted to improve the culture, realize the potential of the talented defense and see if we had a franchise QB on our roster.  And they've kind of addressed all three of those:

1. Culture:  you have to say improved, since the previous coaching staff...the team plays tough, confident, stays together and doesn't give up.  They've faced constant controversy in the media and key injuries to star players but kept going with no excuses.  That's a good building block. Even Haskins was brought around ... who knows if he'll be good, but he appears to have bought in and is trying.  That's to Rivera's credit.

2.  Defense: it's starting to look like they really are pretty good.  We all knew Chase Young was good, but as DGreen points out, that was an LT/Sean Taylor performance...a defender who basically takes over the game.  Curl -- remember he got his job only because Collins was injured and Rivera refused to give in to the demands of a veteran free agent who didn't want to pay his dues in our system.  That is telling that Rivera made that decision and even more telling that Curl is flourishing in the defensive scheme.  Not perfect but they have something going here.

3.  Offense:  the best thing I can say is that they have discovered at least 2, maybe 3 skill players who can contribute in the future:  a.) Gibson, b.) Logan Thomas, and c.) (maybe) Cam Sims.  That said, this is clear weakness of the team.  Good news -- if you can upgrade here you may have something:  First we need a QB.  Yes I am an Alex Smith fan but we all see he is no longer mobile and can't really rifle it down field.  That's too limiting.  We have to get a QB.  If Haskins can't do it, we have to draft one or pick one up.  I'm not counting on Kyle Allen.  Second, we need offensive lineman.  Yeah, they are hanging in there but there is still a lot of bad to average mixed in with the good.  Third.  We need to decide on the other main receiving threats to go with Terry McL, though I am guardedly optimistic about Cam Sims.  If we can shore up the offense somewhat and keep our defense hot then yeah, there is cause for hope.

What a difference a year makes.  I still don't think we're awesome or even a regular playoff team,, but I am hopeful for the first time in a while.

2 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Nice win yesterday.  Great job by the D.  They've been doing it for a few weeks.  Awesome to be leading the division.

I have no ax to grind with Smith as someone implicated.  I mean really, who grinds an ax over the internet?  12 years olds?   Like these guys even know who we all are chatting on a message board.   Smith is a great story.  He's a leader.  He's tough.  I hope they win every game he starts.  He will certainly win comeback POY.   And if Haskins is forced to play the rest of the year I hope they win every game he plays too.

But drop the rah rah for a second and look at it objectively.  Haskins and Smith are essentially the same QB.  Both have a 79 QB rating.  Both have QBRs between 30-35.  All worse than 30th in the league.  Smith has 4 TDs and 6 INTs.  Haskins has 4 TDs and 3 INTs.  All that has happened is the Defense found their groove a few games ago (when they benched Apke FWIW).

So is it bad QB play or the weapons around them?  Well, Kyle Allen had 4 TDs, 1 INT, a 99 QB rating, and a 75 QBR.   Kyle f*in Allen was able to do it.  So why can't a 1st round drafted QB or 14 year NFL #1 pick veteran QB?   Stew on this.... Allen's season QB rating and season QRB are higher than any single game Smith or Haskins have had.   

I have more hope than Smith can find his groove than Haskins, so hopefully he can go the year.  But their QB stats AND the teams offensive numbers in games they played say they are the same exact player.  I hope Smith can get it up to Kyle Allen level, cause I think being in the playoffs would be a huge for this team's belief in itself.

Yeah, I still  think Smith is the better option THIS YEAR but either way we gotta make it a priority to get a new QB next year.  I just hope one of the top four are still there when it's our turn to draft...

ETA:  if we miss out on Zach WIlson level guy in draft, I could see this team bridging with Kyle Allen next year...not sure how I feel about that...

Edited by MikeApf
13 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

This was the formula i wanted.  Strong d.  Figure it out on offense.  Honestly i think the team has been better since Rivera’s treatments stopped.  I would imagine that he wasn’t able to do as much as it wanted.  Especially after hearing his interview the other day.  Now they are kind of catching up.

still not a great team nor would they win in the postseason but i like the young talent.  Something to build on.  Maybe we win the division. Maybe we end in heart wrenching Washington fashion.  Who knows.  🤷🏽‍♂️

I was thinking this was the worst year to take over a new team and change the culture.  No off season workouts, no preseason, it really slowed the process down.  Kudos to teams that appear to be turning the corner.  Both the Football Team and Giants appear to be improving.

• Like 1

Now that Football Team is playing better, we have an interesting situation:  1.) it's great to see us competitive!  2.) that moves us down the draft order!

That said, it's making me wonder what we do at QB if we miss out on the top 3-4.  We always knew we were not getting Lawrence/Fields.  I used to think Zach Wilson was a target but I now think we're likely to miss out there.  It's ok, I'd rather win than tank and draft high.  But, it's got me wondering what lower tier QB is out there that we might snag.  Just look at what Jalen Hurts is doing...so you can find guys.   Here is an arbitrary top 10 list.  Question:  which of these do you like and how early would you take them?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-top-10-quarterback-prospects

Trevor Lawrence, Clemson.

Justin Fields, Ohio State.

Zach Wilson, BYU.

Trey Lance, North Dakota State.  (would you take him mid first round if there?)

Kyle Trask, Florida.

Mac Jones, Alabama.

Jamie Newman, Georgia.

Shane Buechele, SMU.

Desmond Ritter, Cinncinati

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh

21 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

What a difference a year makes.  I still don't think we're awesome or even a regular playoff team,, but I am hopeful for the first time in a while.

I know we fans like to always think we're close, one player away. And as fans of this team we've been wrong about that so many times. But, I think we are close. There is so much young talent on the team. Just getting a good upgrade at QB probably makes this a high-probability playoff roster. A few other upgrades (1 WR, 1 OL, MLB, and 1 DB) I think makes it a very strong team.

And look at Miami? They were considered the worst roster of all time early last year and were getting blown out every week (until they almost beat us :lmao:). 

If this group doesn't turn this into a good run the next several years, it will most certainly be due to Snyder destroying it somehow.

• Like 1