What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

https://twitter.com/baldynfl/status/1338487985852076039?s=21

He has a few other tweets/vids from yesterday’s game. 
Crazy to watch this and be like “is that my team??” He said it perfectly—“they expect to get the ball”. 

I’m under no illusions about the talent on the rest of the team or where the roster could go this year—but it’s fun watching tough, mostly disciplined, fundamentally sound badass defenders do what the rules make it harder to do every year. 

This team wants to fight for Rivera and we haven’t seen that for a coaching staff in a LONG time. Since Gibbs II? This offseason is gonna be huge because with the right moves and draft picks, and with a healthy roster, we could contend in the NFC with this defense. 

Smith, Holcomb, and Pierre-Louis all ruled out. Gibson is listed as doubtful. This should be interesting. 

Smith, Holcomb, and Pierre-Louis all ruled out. Gibson is listed as doubtful. This should be interesting. 
Indeed.  Haskins is gonna have a lot on his shoulders this game.  This is a chance for him to prove himself under very difficult circumstances.  I'm kind of nervous about our chances this game, particularly if Gibson can't go, but very interesting subplot to see if Haskins can rise to the occasion...

MikeApf said:
Indeed.  Haskins is gonna have a lot on his shoulders this game.  This is a chance for him to prove himself under very difficult circumstances.  I'm kind of nervous about our chances this game, particularly if Gibson can't go, but very interesting subplot to see if Haskins can rise to the occasion...
My hopes for Haskins and this game in general are very low. I’m sure the D will do their best to keep us in it, but with Haskins back there and missing Gibson on offense, I think we eventually fold and Seattle takes the win. That being said, this was a smart move by Rivera to sit Smith if it gets Smith healthy and back next week. This week’s game was always chalked up as a loss imo. Better to get healthy and close out Carolina and then Philly the week after. Given the week 15 schedule, it looks like the entire NFC East will  take a loss so it shouldn’t effect the division race anyway. Better to regroup, try to heal up, and finish the last two games strong.

"The Football Team" has really grown on me.  I hope they keep the name for good.  The Team baby!
Can’t say I agree with this. The name is just as generic sounding and lame as it was the day it was announced imo. I get why they needed a placeholder and not rush out the new name, but I hope a proper name is in the works. None of the suggestions have knocked my socks off, but I guess I am still in the Redwolves camp.

Can’t say I agree with this. The name is just as generic sounding and lame as it was the day it was announced imo. I get why they needed a placeholder and not rush out the new name, but I hope a proper name is in the works. None of the suggestions have knocked my socks off, but I guess I am still in the Redwolves camp.
I’m not opposed to the name but switch it to football club maybe.  Though i still like red wolves.  But i wonder if the dude who owns it is refusing to sell.  

I’m not opposed to the name but switch it to football club maybe.  Though i still like red wolves.  But i wonder if the dude who owns it is refusing to sell.  
I’m with you, that if they insist on keeping the generic Washington name (which would be a mistake), Washington Football Club would have been much better. It’s like the NFL has such an aversion to being associated with anything soccer related it was a non-starter, even though it sounds much better. “Football Team” is just so generic. It’s like if Ron Rivera started going by “human football coach”. 

I’m with you, that if they insist on keeping the generic Washington name (which would be a mistake), Washington Football Club would have been much better. It’s like the NFL has such an aversion to being associated with anything soccer related it was a non-starter, even though it sounds much better. “Football Team” is just so generic. It’s like if Ron Rivera started going by “human football coach”. 
I actually thought it was Football Club. Guess I just don't pay much attention.  :bag:

Well it seems the feedback has been positive to keep the name.   Not a Redskin fan anyway so I don`t really care..but the team is unique.

My hopes for Haskins and this game in general are very low. I’m sure the D will do their best to keep us in it, but with Haskins back there and missing Gibson on offense, I think we eventually fold and Seattle takes the win. That being said, this was a smart move by Rivera to sit Smith if it gets Smith healthy and back next week. This week’s game was always chalked up as a loss imo. Better to get healthy and close out Carolina and then Philly the week after. Given the week 15 schedule, it looks like the entire NFC East will  take a loss so it shouldn’t effect the division race anyway. Better to regroup, try to heal up, and finish the last two games strong.
With all the injuries, this is really where coaching and the change in team culture can really show through.

For Haskins, he needs to play within the offense and make smart decisions.  With the way the defense has been playing, that will keep them in the game for a while.  Trying to be spectacular or carry the team is a recipe for disaster.  

I’m so tired of the slow starts. Coaching has been solid, but week after week they come out slow on both sides of the ball. 

I’m so tired of the slow starts. Coaching has been solid, but week after week they come out slow on both sides of the ball. 
I could only stomach the first half but I think it is readily apparent Haskins is not an NFL QB. 55 passes to get 295 yards?!?

I could only stomach the first half but I think it is readily apparent Haskins is not an NFL QB. 55 passes to get 295 yards?!?
He was up and down. He was a key reason they made a comeback but was pretty bad early. Two late sacks put them in an impossible 4th and long at end of game. 

Ok, I think a NYG loss tonight against CLE and next week vs BAL AND a WFT win next week against CAR clinches the division. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He was up and down. He was a key reason they made a comeback but was pretty bad early. Two late sacks put them in an impossible 4th and long at end of game. 
Haskins started playing better in the 2 minute offense at the end of the first half.  Before that, the play calling was very conservative and it seemed like the receivers were not that open.

Both interceptions were very bad decisions by Haskins.

Haskins started playing better in the 2 minute offense at the end of the first half.  Before that, the play calling was very conservative and it seemed like the receivers were not that open.

Both interceptions were very bad decisions by Haskins.
Early in the year, I read that Haskins is best in empty sets. Seemed like that was true today. I agree that early play calling probably wasn’t the best. 

Well, the game went as I expected. Defense kept us in the game as long as they could, but couldn’t close the game without help from our anemic offense. If you hold this Seattle offense to 20 points, you should be able to win the game. Struggling to score 15 points against that Seattle defense is unacceptable. 
Haskins wasn’t a complete disaster, but I’m not giving him much credit for a few nice drives in the 2nd half when he was so bad in the 1st. The bottom line is the kid just doesn’t have it. Look around the league and you see that rookie QBs that are competent flash early. Even Hurts in Philly is now getting it done.

Ok, I think a NYG loss tonight against CLE and next week vs BAL AND a WFT win next week against CAR clinches the division. 
Yeah next week is most likely a “win and you’re in” game vs Carolina.  Related thoughts:

Was impressed that we stayed that close to Seattle without Gibson or Smith.  The defense gives us  a chance to win games. Offense I’m not sure what to make of.  Kudos we didn’t give up and made a late surge but in the end we didn’t make the plays we  needed to and made some costly mistakes.  All that said we were still in the game.  Our defense will give us a punchers chance. But we need Gibson back, even more than Smith IMO.

Hope we can clinch next week because Philly is not going to roll over that last game.  Hurts has that offense humming.

Even in defeat, we proved we are “playoff worthy” thanks to defense.  We took NFC west champ to the end without our starting QB or RB.  If we play Seattle first round of playoffs at hime, with both of these guys, you have to think we at least have a chance. It’s not an automatic loss.  And I’d rather play Seattle than New Orleans or Green Bay at this point.  I know it’s not a lock for us to make the playoffs but I’m saying I think this team has promise and “belongs “

not to sound like Bruce Allen, but we may be “close”.  Defense is playoff ready, period.  We have a few weapons on offense.  Add a QB and OL and I do believe we can make some noise.  Adding QB will be hard if we play our way out of one of the top four but that’s why they pay those personnel guys to work that crap out.

I think Haskins gets moved for low pick in offseason.  He has some moments but his mistakes didn’t do much to inspire confidence in his failings.  Rivera is not gonna wait on him to improve in tiny increments over the next 3 years, not with a playoff defense now.

disappointed this morning but still optimistic.  Beat Carolina next week and we will likely have a playoff game.  That’s beyond all our expectations no matter how it happened...

Can’t see them taking a QB in the 1st round this year. We will be out of range for Fields (thank god, I’ve been down on him from the start), Lance, and Wilson, and possibly Trask as well.

Our best course of action is still to try to trade for a vet on the outs with his current team. Obviously, this means letting Smith go. The ideal move imo is to trade for Stafford. Lions will probably draft a QB and will be full on rebuild mode. Start by offering a 3rd and work your way up from there depending on the market for him. He’s still only 32. Plenty of good football ahead of him and gives us a nice 5 year window to make a run with this D before it gets too expensive. Let’s not do what Chicago and SF did and waste the window of a great defense with terrible QB play.

Can’t see them taking a QB in the 1st round this year. We will be out of range for Fields (thank god, I’ve been down on him from the start), Lance, and Wilson, and possibly Trask as well.

Our best course of action is still to try to trade for a vet on the outs with his current team. Obviously, this means letting Smith go. The ideal move imo is to trade for Stafford. Lions will probably draft a QB and will be full on rebuild mode. Start by offering a 3rd and work your way up from there depending on the market for him. He’s still only 32. Plenty of good football ahead of him and gives us a nice 5 year window to make a run with this D before it gets too expensive. Let’s not do what Chicago and SF did and waste the window of a great defense with terrible QB play.
I can totally see them going this route.  With Rivera's penchant for old Carolina players, I can also see us making Cam an offer if NE lowballs him or moves on.  Rivera previously said they thought about Cam but didn't go there so as not to stunt Haskins' growth.  If Haskins is done, does this open the door to Cam?  

So there are guys like Stafford, Cam Newton, or Fitzmagic who may be available.  I do have a gnawing fear that Rivera and Turner will try to go back to Kyle Allen, much like Shannahan's stubbornly claimed that Grossman and Beck were starters, not backups.

If we do bring in a vet, I'd still like to see us get a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4 so we are at least trying to groom someone as the vet spins out his career.  There are QBs like Russell WIlson oro Kirk Cousins who were taken in this window so while it is a risk it's also not a wasted chance.  In the meantime, look to OL in round 1 if at at all possible...

We'll see what happens.

Hey, maybe we can find our franchise QB in the 2nd round like the Chargers did with Brees! Or the 49ers with Montana in the 3rd! Or Brady in the 6th! I mean, aren't we do some good fortune at QB?? 

I can totally see them going this route.  With Rivera's penchant for old Carolina players, I can also see us making Cam an offer if NE lowballs him or moves on.  Rivera previously said they thought about Cam but didn't go there so as not to stunt Haskins' growth.  If Haskins is done, does this open the door to Cam?  

So there are guys like Stafford, Cam Newton, or Fitzmagic who may be available.  I do have a gnawing fear that Rivera and Turner will try to go back to Kyle Allen, much like Shannahan's stubbornly claimed that Grossman and Beck were starters, not backups.

If we do bring in a vet, I'd still like to see us get a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4 so we are at least trying to groom someone as the vet spins out his career.  There are QBs like Russell WIlson oro Kirk Cousins who were taken in this window so while it is a risk it's also not a wasted chance.  In the meantime, look to OL in round 1 if at at all possible...

We'll see what happens.
I totally agree with taking a QB at some point in the draft, as our QB of the future is not currently on the roster. I also worry about Allen, as Turner seems infatuated with him for some reason like Jay was with Colt. This is where we have to hope Kyle Smith has some pull (he’s earned it with our drafts recently; by all accounts Haskins was a Snyder pick so I’m not crushing him for that one) and sets us in another direction. 

Stafford is the only guy I would be willing to offer significant draft capital to acquire. He would just be a perfect fit and he’s been severely hampered playing on dumpster fire Detroit his entire career. The upside with him is big. Fitz I could possibly sign on for, but he would have to come cheap. Also see him being a hard sell to Rivera given his penchant for turnovers. Ryan I would stay away from as I think he’s due for a steep decline and has had the benefit of playing with generational talent his entire career. 
As for Cam, I could see Rivera kicking the tires, but I would hope we could do better. Granted NE is shorter on offensive talent than even we are, but it’s been ugly in NE this year. 

I don’t say this to defend Haskins or argue that he should be the guy going forward, but he still hasn’t played a lot of football. He’s only thrown about 1,000 passes in the NFL and college combined. I think a lot of 1st round, franchise QBs reach that number just in college. This year would be his senior year in college. 

Definitely need to look at upgrading the position. Given the rest of the roster, they need someone they can count on for the next few years to hopefully take advantage of this window to improve. 

Unless someone offers a good trade, I’m in favor of keeping around on his rookie deal as a backup and still as a potential future starter. 

I don’t say this to defend Haskins or argue that he should be the guy going forward, but he still hasn’t played a lot of football. He’s only thrown about 1,000 passes in the NFL and college combined. I think a lot of 1st round, franchise QBs reach that number just in college. This year would be his senior year in college. 

Definitely need to look at upgrading the position. Given the rest of the roster, they need someone they can count on for the next few years to hopefully take advantage of this window to improve. 

Unless someone offers a good trade, I’m in favor of keeping around on his rookie deal as a backup and still as a potential future starter. 
I would argue that that low number of passes in college was reason alone to be wary of drafting him. The fact that he was doing so at Ohio State with a system that doesn’t translate to success for QBs in the pros was the bigger factor for me. But that ship has sailed.

I would cut my losses with him, as it seems like as long as Ron is here (which looks to be a while) he’ll never be his guy. If we have to keep him around as a backup due to no absolutely interest on the trade market fine, but we can’t be in position where we are counting on him to play meaningful snaps for us next year.

I would argue that that low number of passes in college was reason alone to be wary of drafting him. The fact that he was doing so at Ohio State with a system that doesn’t translate to success for QBs in the pros was the bigger factor for me. But that ship has sailed.

I would cut my losses with him, as it seems like as long as Ron is here (which looks to be a while) he’ll never be his guy. If we have to keep him around as a backup due to no absolutely interest on the trade market fine, but we can’t be in position where we are counting on him to play meaningful snaps for us next year.
Agree regarding his draft position. He hasn’t shown enough in college to justify 1.15. If Sweat was the #15 pick and they got Haskins in round 2, I don’t think we’d be so harsh on him.

Agree regarding his draft position. He hasn’t shown enough in college to justify 1.15. If Sweat was the #15 pick and they got Haskins in round 2, I don’t think we’d be so harsh on him.
I was screaming at my TV when they passed on Sweat. Then thrilled when they traded back into the first to get him. I still think that was the compromise position all along. Snyder gets his guy and the front office gets the guy they wanted all along. Everyone is happy.

Agree with all your comments.  But want to point out that Haskins would be a 23 year old senior.  Most people are done with college at 21.  Star NFL players come out at 20 years old with experience.. So he's behind the curve in a lot of ways, not just game time.

I think your QBs next year are 'TBD', Allen, and Haskins.  Alex Smith may be that TBD.   I don't think he was playing as well as the media raves about, , but he is certainly a great guy and leader.  Heck, he may win a playoff game this year.   At worst he becomes a coach and they save $14m+.  Haskins and Allen are too cheap to part with for solid backups (Assuming Allen re-signs), but I don't think either will ever be a top 20 QBs.  But is it the worst position on the field.  Gotta think that is ILB or WR.  I think some good coaching has hidden some major holes on the OL too.

Would love Stafford over all these guys.  He's only 32.  Got at least 4-5 more years in him.  Not sure how you can pay him but there are ways. 

Making the playoffs would go a long way when contracts for guys like J Allen, D Payne, and Sweat come up.  They aren't gonna want to be here if the team is still losing.  They'll take the payday elsewhere.  But I do think Rivera is the right guy to try to keep them here. 

Agree with all your comments.  But want to point out that Haskins would be a 23 year old senior.  Most people are done with college at 21.  Star NFL players come out at 20 years old with experience.. So he's behind the curve in a lot of ways, not just game time.

I think your QBs next year are 'TBD', Allen, and Haskins.  Alex Smith may be that TBD.   I don't think he was playing as well as the media raves about, , but he is certainly a great guy and leader.  Heck, he may win a playoff game this year.   At worst he becomes a coach and they save $14m+.  Haskins and Allen are too cheap to part with for solid backups (Assuming Allen re-signs), but I don't think either will ever be a top 20 QBs.  But is it the worst position on the field.  Gotta think that is ILB or WR.  I think some good coaching has hidden some major holes on the OL too.

Would love Stafford over all these guys.  He's only 32.  Got at least 4-5 more years in him.  Not sure how you can pay him but there are ways. 

Making the playoffs would go a long way when contracts for guys like J Allen, D Payne, and Sweat come up.  They aren't gonna want to be here if the team is still losing.  They'll take the payday elsewhere.  But I do think Rivera is the right guy to try to keep them here. 
Wonder if making the playoffs would mean something to a guy like Stafford. He's 32 as you say and he's only got so many years to chase a championship.  If we can squeak in and win a game, we could sell him on being one of the final pieces in place to make a run?

That is a great point about Haksins’ age and how it relates to his development. For comparison, he is the same age as Darnold who seems like he has been in the league forever. And is he one year younger than Josh Allen who also already has multiple years of NFL experience under his belt. This is just another reason to consider Haskins a sunk cost at this point imo.

I mentioned above that the Stafford trade is my ideal move and paying him is very doable if we let Smith go. Stafford’s contract was the NFL high at the time he signed it, but now looks rather reasonable with the deals signed since then. The challenge will be the compensation to acquire him, but we have flexibility there. I would start with the 3rd from the Trent deal and move up from there if needed.

Wonder if making the playoffs would mean something to a guy like Stafford. He's 32 as you say and he's only got so many years to chase a championship.  If we can squeak in and win a game, we could sell him on being one of the final pieces in place to make a run?
I don’t think it would require much, if any, selling. There was chatter that he could be on the block last draft season and now with the Lions clearing house I can’t see how he wants to hang around for yet another rebuild. And the Lions would be wise to move him as well, as they are going to need all the picks they can get.

If he is truly put on the market, I do see him drawing some serious interest, which is why I think he would be by far the most expensive (in pick compensation) to acquire but still worth it in my opinion. I could definitely see teams like Chicago and SF interested, possibly Denver as well as Elway keeps striking out on QBs. Indy could be in the mix as well. Of that competition, I don’t see Detroit wanting to deal him within the division, so that would eliminate Chicago. I also see young Shanny preferring to go after Ryan, who should also be available. Denver and Indy are wild cards so who knows there.

Agree.  Not only all of this he has had to learn a new system each season.  Add to that he got no first team reps last offseason and this offseason was very different.  Again non excuse as he hasn’t gotten it done.  But when drafted he was supposed to get a chance to learn.  It was a long term play.  I think it’s still worth keeping him around and see if it clicks. He’s not going to garner enough in trade value anyway.

I don't think you can get much by trading Haskins.  Since he is on a cheap rookie contract, I think they will keep him another 2 years, even if it is as a backup.  

I don't think you can get much by trading Haskins.  Since he is on a cheap rookie contract, I think they will keep him another 2 years, even if it is as a backup.  
True. The market for him will be nonexistent. They just have to hope that his agent and him don’t become a distraction while he’s riding the pine. They have both shown a rather stunning lack of self awareness up to this point. 

The Washington Football Team in 2009 paid a female former employee $1.6 million in a confidential settlement after the woman accused team owner Daniel Snyder of sexual misconduct.

It's another damning development for Snyder, one of professional sport's most detestable team owners. The Washington Post reported that in court records filed Monday, "as part of an ongoing feud among the team’s owners, Snyder’s business partners referenced the woman’s allegation, calling it 'a serious accusation of sexual misconduct.'" These latest revelations come as the NFL conducts its investigation into a culture of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior inside the organization. Dozens of women who have worked for the Football Team have come forward with harrowing details about sexual misconduct among team officials. Snyder has made it clear he has no intention of relinquishing control of the team and ending his utterly disastrous run as owner. 

- The Washington Post

Especially with reports that there are pictures of Haskins after Sunday’s game at a strip club without a mask on.

Sure seems like he is going to Johnny Mansfield himself right out of the league. Guys who are more interested in the lifestyle outside of the game than the work it takes to get better inside the game don’t typically last long anymore in the NFL, especially at the QB position.

True. The market for him will be nonexistent. They just have to hope that his agent and him don’t become a distraction while he’s riding the pine. They have both shown a rather stunning lack of self awareness up to this point. 
Yeah, about that lack of self awareness thing...

https://mobile.twitter.com/DCBarno/status/1341089236288757761
What a clown. Good looking out for the health of the locker room and a coach that just had cancer. This guy can’t be gone soon enough. Like I said earlier, he’s a sunk cost.

As for the Snyder settlement news, just more fuel for the fire. Sadly the owners will never kick him out over this type of thing, as they don’t want to face similar fates.

Yeah, about that lack of self awareness thing...

https://mobile.twitter.com/DCBarno/status/1341089236288757761
What a clown. Good looking out for the health of the locker room and a coach that just had cancer. This guy can’t be gone soon enough. Like I said earlier, he’s a sunk cost.
Haskins has admitted this and apologized (I guess because he was caught).

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/dwayne-haskins-shown-potentially-violating-nfl-coronavirus-protocols-after-sundays-game-in-washington/article_d7d087e7-6ce6-5327-a64f-28573c3e7f66.html

This is a pretty bad look for a guy who needs to prove that he is mature, disciplined, and improving.  We can't blame this one on lack of experience or "getting screwed by the organization."  Not a good look at all.  I'd put the probability of WFT moving on from Haskins in the offseason well over 50% at this point.  

When I reflect on the Haskins thing, it really pisses me off.  I get that he has some raw ability and may be improving slowly with experience.  But the Covaid thing (second time he's violated this year) is deeply disrespectful to your teammates and to their families.  Not only could you start an outbreak on your team, sinking their playoff chances, but you could get one of your teammates sick, which could spread to their family members and seriously hurt someone.  You don't need 5 years of NFL experience to know that's stupid and disrespectful.  

I have a hunch that if Smith can't go, we may even see Heinke starting....

Haskins has admitted this and apologized (I guess because he was caught).

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/dwayne-haskins-shown-potentially-violating-nfl-coronavirus-protocols-after-sundays-game-in-washington/article_d7d087e7-6ce6-5327-a64f-28573c3e7f66.html

This is a pretty bad look for a guy who needs to prove that he is mature, disciplined, and improving.  We can't blame this one on lack of experience or "getting screwed by the organization."  Not a good look at all.  I'd put the probability of WFT moving on from Haskins in the offseason well over 50% at this point.  
He gets no credit for apologizing since he was caught dead to rights on this.

If the QB room was healthy right now (meaning Smith and Allen were available) I wouldn’t be surprised if Ron would have just cut him this week. The team has a chance to win the division this week and you risk the health of the locker room and availability of the players with this. This guy is not talented enough to be a distraction like this. With stunts like this it’s becoming extremely difficult to justify keeping him around. I would dump him for whatever I could get this offseason. Dude is just not going to get it and is wasting a roster spot for a true developmental QB right now.

When I reflect on the Haskins thing, it really pisses me off.  I get that he has some raw ability and may be improving slowly with experience.  But the Covaid thing (second time he's violated this year) is deeply disrespectful to your teammates and to their families.  Not only could you start an outbreak on your team, sinking their playoff chances, but you could get one of your teammates sick, which could spread to their family members and seriously hurt someone.  You don't need 5 years of NFL experience to know that's stupid and disrespectful.  

I have a hunch that if Smith can't go, we may even see Heinke starting....
Yep. Just purely from a football standpoint, he's potentially screwed over his team if he can't play and Smith still can't go.

Was waiting to comment until there was confirmation it was him.  And, well, the man himself confirmed it.

This guy has become a cancer.  I think he's got the talent to be as good as any other QB on the roster.  But he has the mindset of a diva WR.  Not the mindset of a QB that has to be a leader.  I don't buy the 'he's a kid' argument.  He's not.  He's 23.  He's supposedly an adult.  And he was warned earlier this year after breaking the COVID rules.   There are kindergartners that can follow the rules.  He obviously finds himself above them.  He's yet to achieve anything.  And as a QB, the example he sets sucks.  Can't have it from the guy with the ball in his hands.  Any other position I can maybe say deal with it again.  Not from a QB.

Was hoping they could string him out as a backup QB for his rookie contract.  At this point, he's too much of a loser to keep.  Cut him.  Bring up Steve Montez.  Make Logan Thomas QB3.  Win lose or draw, this team should be done with Haskins. 

This will likely lead to a good test of the culture change. Dan didn't seem to interfere when Haskins was benched earlier this year, but will he have a say if Rivera wants to cut him or discipline him in some other way for this?

Users who are viewing this thread