What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

Agree on Collins. 1) Can't imagine anyone wants him at his salary.  2) WAS eats a ton of cap space by trading Collins before June 1.  $13.8M to be exact. Which kinda defeats the idea of trading for a QB and filling the holes with free agents.   After June 1 it's $4M or so. 

Allen or Payne are the only valuable Def tradable assets from a salary perspective.  Could throw in lower tier players like Apke, Everett, Settle though.  I suspect all could start for HOU.
Agree with all of this. And this is exactly why if we are putting together a package for Watson, Allen or Payne would have to be part of it. And as I said earlier, it also makes sense from the standpoint that we most likely can’t afford to keep both of them long term (4 DL on massive 2nd contracts isn’t tenable). And we just happen have the depth to fill in for one of them. I obviously wouldn’t be looking to give one of them away, but as a part of a package to land Watson I definitely would make this move.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/report-washington-could-pursue-derek-carr-3-way-deshaun-watson-trade

A new report from Las Vegas presents the Washington Football Team as a potential suitor for Raiders quarterback Derek Carr. A

The suggested trade would require Washington to send two first-round draft picks to Vegas for Carr, and the Raiders would then flip those picks along with two first-round picks of their own to Houston to land disgruntled QB Deshaun Watson. 

While the trade seems slightly preposterous, the report cited "several NFL insiders" that expect the Raiders to field phone calls about Carr from multiple teams. 

From the Las Vegas Review-Journal:

It begins with the pursuit of Carr by multiple teams. Among the clubs that could get involved are the Colts, Bears, Patriots and the Washington Football Team. Depending on what happens in New Orleans, the Saints could be potential suitors as well.

Yeah, that Carr trade rumor is just laughable. So we weren’t willing to give up 2 firsts for Stafford, but will do so for Carr in order to help out Raiders getting Watson? That sounds worse than the fan calling into sports talk radio with trade ideas.

I would take Carr on this team, as he’s an upgrade over what we have, but I wouldn’t be willing to give up much draft capital to do so. I surely wouldn’t give up a first, let alone 2 firsts for him. Honestly if we are going Raiders QBs I would rather just take a flier on Mariota. He would come cheap as the Raiders need to move on from him as he’s making too much to be a backup with Carr on the books as well. I’d bring in Mariota and let him compete for the job with Hienicke and Allen. Bottom line is Carr doesn’t really move the needle as an big upgrade here. I honestly think he’s not that much of an upgrade over someone like Fitz who we could just sign as an FA.

Don’t know if anyone caught the WFTs Intro presser for the Martys (Hurney and Mayhew) and Rivera today. I just saw/read some highlights. Sounded pretty uneventful but a few interesting nuggets:

1) The Martys were effusive in their praise of what Alex Smith had done last season but dodgy when it came to questions about next year. Rivera was as well, noting that they were “looking at all options” and that he had to speak to Alex. Hurney mentioned that Smith played well last year and that “we all saw what Hienicke did in that playoff game”. Interesting that Allen wasn’t mentioned but he could have just forgotten him.

2) One of the Martys commented that they didn’t want to “mortgage the future” to address the QB position. Lots of talk about “getting the right guy” but that doesn’t mean it will necessarily happen this year. 

All in all it seemed like they were determined to not show their hand, which is good. Ron dodged a question about the Stafford trade offer. The “mortgaging the future” comment makes me think they are out on Watson (as if this was ever a realistic option). The hedging on the QB upgrade for this season makes me think that they really wanted Stafford and haven’t yet figured out a plan B, keeping their options open on bringing back the same QB room if needed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that Carr trade rumor is just laughable. So we weren’t willing to give up 2 firsts for Stafford, but will do so for Carr in order to help out Raiders getting Watson? That sounds worse than the fan calling into sports talk radio with trade ideas.

I would take Carr on this team, as he’s an upgrade over what we have, but I wouldn’t be willing to give up much draft capital to do so. I surely wouldn’t give up a first, let alone 2 firsts for him. Honestly if we are going Raiders QBs I would rather just take a flier on Mariota. He would come cheap as the Raiders need to move on from him as he’s making too much to be a backup with Carr on the books as well. I’d bring in Mariota and let him compete for the job with Hienicke and Allen. Bottom line is Carr doesn’t really move the needle as an big upgrade here. I honestly think he’s not that much of an upgrade over someone like Fitz who we could just sign as an FA.
I read somewhere that said/speculated that Houston would want a young QB in return for Watson.  If true, that would definitely give the Jets and Dolphins a leg up in pursuing Watson.

My general take:  unless Watson really wants to force his way out of Houston, he probably isn't going anywhere.  If Watson were to sit out the upcoming season, then Houston could trade him next year.  Teams need to make plans assuming Watson won't be traded.

Don’t know if anyone caught the WFTs Intro presser for the Martys (Hurney and Mayhew) and Rivera today. I just saw/read some highlights. Sounded pretty uneventful but a few interesting nuggets:

1) The Martys were effusive in their praise of what Alex Smith had done last season but dodgy when it came to questions about next year. Rivera was as well, noting that they were “looking at all options” and that he had to speak to Alex. Hurney mentioned that Smith played well last year and that “we all saw what Hienicke did in that playoff game”. Interesting that Allen wasn’t mentioned but he could have just forgotten him.

2) One of the Martys commented that they didn’t want to “mortgage the future” to address the QB position. Lots of talk about “getting the right guy” but that doesn’t mean it will necessarily happen this year. 

All in all it seemed like they were determined to not show their hand, which is good. Ron dodged a question about the Stafford trade offer. The “mortgaging the future” comment makes me think they are out on Watson (as if this was ever a realistic option). The hedging on the QB upgrade for this season makes me think that they really wanted Stafford and haven’t yet figured out a plan B, keeping their options open on bringing back the same QB room if needed. 
Good post, nothing to add but referring to the front office as "The Marty's" is hilarious.  It reminds me off Office Space..."I"m going to talk to the Bobs."  😄

Yeah, this rumor must have been cooked up by a LV homer.  Watson will cost two firsts.  So, instead of WFT giving those two firsts to Houston for Watson, they'll give two firsts to LV so they can get Watson, and we can have Carr.  Alrighty then. I guess it would keep us from parting with additional picks and Defensive players but still...2 firsts for Carr?  I'm with you that Carr would be an improvement, and I would think of giving the 19th pick for him, but nothing further...and agree that I'd much rather spend less on Fitz or Mariotta.  Honestly, drafting a project and signing Fitz is looking better and better to me...

Yeah, I wouldn't do two 1s for Carr. And I don't think LVR need four 1s to get Watson. I would do this year's first. Or I'd do a future first and maybe like a 3 this year? 

Carr would be a nice upgrade. Three years younger than Stafford. Decent contract for the next two years. For the right price, I'd really like to have him.

Some of you guys are one solid draft away from having a perennial playoff team and you want to trade for a beat up QB with major insecurities??? 

You add a WR2, a TE and a game manager at QB and you can make a run at the SB for the next 3 years. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE trade for Watson. 

Who blinks?
I think at this point it seems both parties have dug in. Rumors have been that Watson is willing to go the “full Le’Veon” and hold out for the upcoming season if needed. There has been some speculation that Houston might call his bluff, and even if he did hold out he would still get a massive haul in a trade next year.

It seems like it’s best for all parties to move on at this point. It seems like for Watson the bridges are burned for a Houston return. And knowing this, the Texans would be better off dealing him to the highest bidder before the start of the season. To no credit of their own, they find themselves in almost the perfect situation to play NYJ and Miami against each other to get a bidding war for Watson. If they play their cards right, they at least might be able to salvage a good return. But this is Houston we are talking about here so all bets are off.

I think at this point it seems both parties have dug in. Rumors have been that Watson is willing to go the “full Le’Veon” and hold out for the upcoming season if needed. There has been some speculation that Houston might call his bluff, and even if he did hold out he would still get a massive haul in a trade next year.

It seems like it’s best for all parties to move on at this point. It seems like for Watson the bridges are burned for a Houston return. And knowing this, the Texans would be better off dealing him to the highest bidder before the start of the season. To no credit of their own, they find themselves in almost the perfect situation to play NYJ and Miami against each other to get a bidding war for Watson. If they play their cards right, they at least might be able to salvage a good return. But this is Houston we are talking about here so all bets are off.
I would let him sit out a decade. 

I would let him sit out a decade. 
Doesn’t help your team though. If you know you f’d the situation through your actions and the bridge is burnt, you need to move on and do what is best for the franchise. If they can get a haul (which they should be able to), they should move on. However you don’t trade him unless you get a massive deal, one that even the HOU fans are almost okay with.

Doesn’t help your team though. If you know you f’d the situation through your actions and the bridge is burnt, you need to move on and do what is best for the franchise. If they can get a haul (which they should be able to), they should move on. However you don’t trade him unless you get a massive deal, one that even the HOU fans are almost okay with.
Does he count against the cap if he doesnt play? Then F him. 

Future GM of the year candidate here. 

You wouldn’t be employed long if you let that valuable of an asset go to waste. Ridiculous logic. 

Yet another smarmy comment with zero substance from this board's biggest internet tough guy. 

Its not ridiculous at all. If Im an owner I don't think letting players run the show similar to the way the NBA does is how I want my league to be run. 

I get it, Im the crazy person because I think Watson should honor his contract that he signed not very long ago. If he had questions about the organization he should have signed a shorter deal. Before you say teams break contracts all the time - I also dont think that is right and I wouldn't do things that way. 

LOL at letting a valuable asset go to waste. If Watson sits out a year and pushes the contract back a year hes even more valuable because his contract becomes a bargain every single year that passes. Hes 25 years old. We can play this game until hes thirty. 

Yet another smarmy comment with zero substance from this board's biggest internet tough guy. 

Its not ridiculous at all. If Im an owner I don't think letting players run the show similar to the way the NBA does is how I want my league to be run. 

I get it, Im the crazy person because I think Watson should honor his contract that he signed not very long ago. If he had questions about the organization he should have signed a shorter deal. Before you say teams break contracts all the time - I also dont think that is right and I wouldn't do things that way. 

LOL at letting a valuable asset go to waste. If Watson sits out a year and pushes the contract back a year hes even more valuable because his contract becomes a bargain every single year that passes. Hes 25 years old. We can play this game until hes thirty. 
:rolleyes:  nothing I said is “tough guy” talk. Saying your opinion is ridiculous isn’t tough, it just means your opinion is ridiculous. 

No GM or owner in the world would let a player like Watson sit around for 5 years. That’s just silly. For one, the GM has his job on the line. At some point it will hit a breaking point and he will either come back in or be moved. Also, I don’t believe Watson’s contract tolls if he doesn’t report. 

:rolleyes:  nothing I said is “tough guy” talk. Saying your opinion is ridiculous isn’t tough, it just means your opinion is ridiculous. 

No GM or owner in the world would let a player like Watson sit around for 5 years. That’s just silly. For one, the GM has his job on the line. At some point it will hit a breaking point and he will either come back in or be moved. Also, I don’t believe Watson’s contract tolls if he doesn’t report. 
 I don't want to get suspended from this place again so ill just say that I think you're rude AF. I think you talk to people on this board as if everyone is an idiot except you. I don't believe you talk to people like this in real life.

With that said, Ill just bow out of this thread and stay away from you for awhile.  Despite my joke in another thread, I'll be rooting for your Bucs. 

Enjoy the game Cappy. 

man you need to lighten up Francis. Let me tell you WHY the Texans won't "punish him" and let him sit for 5 years. The team LOVES Watson. They support his stance. Do you think ANY free agent would ever sign there again if they played Hardball with Watson like that? The Texans would cripple their already sinking franchise if they went the route you are suggesting. Its not going to happen. Watson will be playing somewhere else next year. 

Watson to the WFT seems far fetched. I think it's more reasonable to spend that draft capital on moving up and drafting a QB if you wanted to spend draft capital on a QB. Zack Wilson or Justin Fields if he falls outside the top 10. WFT sitting at #19 is tough though. I might consider a free agent QB and kick the can down the road another year and draft another piece at #19. I would be open to making a move but the move and the cost would need to match. Giving up two first rounders plus for Carr just seems more than he is worth. He has 2 years left on his contract and then you are handing him another contract and you then are in difficult position to build around him. How much better is Carr than some of the free agent QBs on the market? Carr is better than most but by how much? Two first rounders plus more? I do not think so.
Good post. I’m definitely in the FA camp at this point if any of these other options cost us the 19 pick. The only 2 QBs I was willing to give up 1st round draft capital for were Stafford and Watson. I view trading up this year as a bad idea. It would be too expensive and honestly none of these guys (outside of Lawrence obviously) would be worth it. Given the sorry state of the QB position league wide, teams end up reaching way too high for QBs most years. This year’s class is particularly overrated imo as none of these guys outside of Lawrence project as better prospects than Herbert or Tua last year. I’m probably one of this board’s harshest Fields critics, so that move in particular I would absolutely hate.

At this point I’m in favor of signing Fitz, and bringing back Heinecke and Allen (only because he will be insanely cheap). This gives the team the option to truly see if they have anything there in Hienecke and keeps the powder dry to make a move for a QB next year where they might have better options.

At the end of the day, somebody is going to kick the tires on Fitzmagic. It's the fairly attractive girl sitting alone at the bar at last call. It's going to be tried by somebody. Please let that be WFT for Terry's fantasy sake. Please.
Yeah, a few of us on this board are definitely on the Fitzmagic train if it comes down to WFT signing a FA QB. Everyone knows the deal with him (you being a Jets fan know for sure), but his play last season was nothing short of remarkable given the situations he was being put in. I’ve never seen a team so willingly detonate a strong chance at the playoffs then when Miami benched him for Tua last season. And even then, in spite of his team’s stupidity, they still almost made it in thanks to his heroics. 

And the Skins are honestly a good comp to Miami personnel wise. Both teams had limited offensive options (Terry being better than Parker, and Gesecki vs Logan Thomas is probably a push), and strong defenses. As a stop gap option for the Skins, I think he’s the best available option.

I don't want to get suspended from this place again so ill just say that I think you're rude AF. I think you talk to people on this board as if everyone is an idiot except you. I don't believe you talk to people like this in real life.

With that said, Ill just bow out of this thread and stay away from you for awhile.  Despite my joke in another thread, I'll be rooting for your Bucs. 

Enjoy the game Cappy. 
Sheesh. 

Yeah, a few of us on this board are definitely on the Fitzmagic train if it comes down to WFT signing a FA QB. Everyone knows the deal with him (you being a Jets fan know for sure), but his play last season was nothing short of remarkable given the situations he was being put in. I’ve never seen a team so willingly detonate a strong chance at the playoffs then when Miami benched him for Tua last season. And even then, in spite of his team’s stupidity, they still almost made it in thanks to his heroics. 

And the Skins are honestly a good comp to Miami personnel wise. Both teams had limited offensive options (Terry being better than Parker, and Gesecki vs Logan Thomas is probably a push), and strong defenses. As a stop gap option for the Skins, I think he’s the best available option.
I definitely know good and bad Fitz. If you take him for what he is, he'll get you to 9-7 or 10-6 on a good team. Beyond that is a stretch. But after reading this thread and seeing nittanylion's breakdown of your schedule, I'm not sure this year is your year to get to that 9 or 10 win mark with Fitz. It may be more frustrating than you think.

I think Andy Dalton would not be a bad match either. Keep in mind this would only be a free agent place holder. The WFT is going to have to make a decision sooner than later on a QB.  I like Fitz too. 
Yeah, I definitely prefer Fitz, but Dalton could possibly work as well if there aren’t better options and he comes cheap on a short term deal. My anti-Cowboys bias makes me instinctively avoid anything that carries the mark of the Cowboys though, but it was only one year I guess. 

I also wouldn’t mind kicking the tires on Mariota for a 4th or 5th rounder if the Raiders are looking to move on from him. I can’t see them sinking that much cap into QBs again next year, so you would think they would be trying to deal Mariota. His mobility fits the Scott Turner system and he’s still young. He would be worth a flier imo if they wanted to bring in another young-ish QB into the mix. 

In what should be a surprise to no one, Alex Smith wins Comeback Player of the Year and Chase Young wins Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Amazing accomplishments for both of these men. For Chase, this is hopefully the start of many superlative years to come. For Alex, this is hopefully an amazing swan song performance that he takes great pride in given what he went through to get here, and enables him to ride off into the sunset with his head held high.

I definitely know good and bad Fitz. If you take him for what he is, he'll get you to 9-7 or 10-6 on a good team. Beyond that is a stretch. But after reading this thread and seeing nittanylion's breakdown of your schedule, I'm not sure this year is your year to get to that 9 or 10 win mark with Fitz. It may be more frustrating than you think.
Don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusions as to who Fitz is at this point. Like you said, you have to take the good with the bad. It's part of what made the Miami move to bench him even more puzzling. They benched him while he was in the midst of one of his patented heaters. If they had just let things play out and didn't force the issue, there was a good chance bad Fitz would have eventually appeared and they could have made the move to Tua without it looking like they were detonating their season. As a Devante Parker owner it was infuriating. 

Being that I was a frustrated Parker owner, I did end up watching more Phins games than I normally would have. The intriguing thing about Fitz last year was to see him play on a team with a strong defense and in games where he didn't necessarily have to be the shootout gunslinger all the time. There were games where he lead Miami to a lead early and the Miami D just took total control from that point on.

One of the biggest problems with the WFT this season was the holes they would always dig themselves into early with their anemic offense. If they had a QB who could put some points on the board early, like Fitz did last year, it would have really put the defense in a good spot where they could pin their ears back and get after the opposing passer early. Given the similar makeup of the WFT and Miami squads, this is one big reason Fitz is an intriguing option for this team in my opinion. 

As for the schedule, I discussed this earlier in the thread but I disagreed slightly with nittanylion's projections. While it's clearly a tougher 1st place schedule, he had us going 3-3 in the division next year, which I think is too conservative of an estimate. The division is awful. The Eagles are an absolute mess, the Giants won't sweep us next year, and the Cowboys are screwed as currently constructed with that horrible defense. The NFC East will still be by far the worst division in football next year. Assuming the Skins upgrade at their needed positions through FA and the draft I think they are the odds on favorite to win the division and punch their ticket to the playoffs without worrying about the wildcard. 

Still trying to wrap my head around how our beer man Heinicke totally carved up this TB defense and might have played outplayed three HOFers (Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes) versus this defense. 

Definitely puts his performance in any even more impressive light and makes me want to see what the Skins really have in this guy. Another reason to possibly just bring in an FA QB and have all of these guys compete for the starters job.

Still trying to wrap my head around how our beer man Heinicke totally carved up this TB defense and might have played outplayed three HOFers (Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes) versus this defense. 

Definitely puts his performance in any even more impressive light and makes me want to see what the Skins really have in this guy. Another reason to possibly just bring in an FA QB and have all of these guys compete for the starters job.
I was just thinking this. We should be very proud of the effort our team gave. You could argue we were their hardest win. 

I was listening to a Kevin Sheehan podcast from last week. He usually isn’t one to try to break news, and he has proven to have good sources in the past, so when he says something out there newsworthy I’ll usually give it a bit more credence than the usual rumor mongering. So in this podcast he is reporting that the Skins are huge fans for Justin Fields and implies that they could attempt to trade up for him.

In my opinion this would be a massive mistake but just wanted to put it out there to see what everyone else thinks.

He definitely played well but there was no Vita Vea or Devin White that game either. White in particular would have flagged him down on some of those great runs. 

Some of those throws he made were nuts though. 

And if WFT was down 8 with just over 2:00 left with 4th and goal at the 8, Rivera would have put the ball in Heinicke's hands.
I absolutely believe Riverboat Ron would have gone for it...and I want to believe that if he failed to convert, Del Rio would have said 'F it', and brought the house on every down, no matter what play the Bucs called. Run blitz, pass blitz, blitz blitz, whatever, because with nothing to lose, why not? Would have loved to have seen the scenario play out, no matter the outcome.

Here we go:

2021 UFA's:

RG Brandon Scherff

DE Ryan Kerrigan

CB Ronald Darby

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis

PK Dustin Hopkins

LB Reuben Foster

RT David Sharpe

Edge Ryan Anderson

LS Nick Sundberg

RB Lamar Miller

LB Mychal Kendricks

CB Fabian Moreau

LB Jared Norris

TE Jeremy Sprinkle

RFA's:

QB Taylor Heinicke

WR Robert Foster

WR Cam Sims

CB Danny Johnson

ERFA:

QB Kyle Allen

What say you fellas?

Kansas City's OL had massive problems in pass protection.  And TB wasn't even blitzing.  

That said, I am in awe of Mahomes.  He threw a pass while horizontal in the air and hit the receiver.  Absolutely incredible.

Here we go:

2021 UFA's:

RG Brandon Scherff

DE Ryan Kerrigan

CB Ronald Darby

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis

PK Dustin Hopkins

LB Reuben Foster

RT David Sharpe

Edge Ryan Anderson

LS Nick Sundberg

RB Lamar Miller

LB Mychal Kendricks

CB Fabian Moreau

LB Jared Norris

TE Jeremy Sprinkle

RFA's:

QB Taylor Heinicke

WR Robert Foster

WR Cam Sims

CB Danny Johnson

ERFA:

QB Kyle Allen

What say you fellas?
In general, signing all your RFA and ERFA's is a no brainer.  But I am not sure Robert Foster did much.

Nick Sundberg is the no brainer signing.

Darby and Moreau would be nice to have back, but how much will they cost?

The biggest decision is whether to give Scherff a mega contract.

And do they re-sign Hopkins are look for a new PK?

Sprinkle has value, so I could see him returning.

Foster has been here over 2 years and hasn't played a down.  I could them moving on from him.

Kerrigan is obviously leaving and looking for a starting role.

The Washington Football Team has agreed to terms on a 2-year extension for QB Taylor Heinicke, sources say, worth $8.75M. There are also incentives depending on how many games he starts. Real security for their resilient QB who started and impressed in the playoff game. 

Good for him. Seems reasonable. Either they get someone else and he’s a good backup at a decent price or they don’t bring in someone else and he competes (likely wins) for the starting spot and is in line for another contract in two years. 

Off the couch to making $8 million bucks. What a great story. And he's a HUGE upgrade to what we had this year IF he's our designated backup...but who knows, maybe he competes for the starting job. I'm very happy with the signing. 
What an amazing story. I guess those math courses at ODU will have to wait. Love this signing and also the fact that they gave him a two year deal. Gives him extra security and covers WFT in case he does indeed win the starter job and blows up this season (probably a long shot, but stranger things have happened). At worst, he is a competent backup in this Turner system that he clearly knows like the back of his hand.

Great story and all, but has he ever finished a game without getting injured? Not a huge amount of money but they probably would have been better served with a 2nd round tender IMO- if he does happen to blow up this year he'll be getting a new contract next offseason anyway.

Great signing, and sound business decision. Didn't break the bank, and there's a lot of 'good will' intangible ripple-effect benefits connected with what looks like a front office who knows the upside of 'doing right by a guy' in the right time and place. We haven't had a lot of those over the past 2 decades. My scars fuel my skepticism, but it sure would be swell if this were the direction the Team was headed in.

Great story and all, but has he ever finished a game without getting injured? Not a huge amount of money but they probably would have been better served with a 2nd round tender IMO- if he does happen to blow up this year he'll be getting a new contract next offseason anyway.
He wouldn’t necessarily be getting a new contract, and even if he did under this scenario it clearly puts WFT in a much better bargaining position. They would be coming to the table with another year of his rights under their control instead of negotiating with him as a UFA. It’s a smart move by the team considering the small spread in AAV. And besides, this is low for back-up money regardless. 

He wouldn’t necessarily be getting a new contract, and even if he did under this scenario it clearly puts WFT in a much better bargaining position. They would be coming to the table with another year of his rights under their control instead of negotiating with him as a UFA. It’s a smart move by the team considering the small spread in AAV. And besides, this is low for back-up money regardless. 
If he "blows up" this year as you say, there's zero chance he's playing next season under this same contract IMO.

It's low for back-up money, but he's never even really been a back-up before. Again, not a huge amount of money, just a little surprised considering he's about to turn 28 and has about as many injuries as games played in his career. Rooting for him as it would be a great story but have pretty low expectations.

Good for him. He's still gonna be doing math.  Counting up compound interest on his new salary :)   Even if he doesn't make the full amount, it's  >>> career salary as a math teacher.

I don't think he or Allen are more than a backup or stopgap QB.  Adequate starters if it's all there is, but not top 15 at all.  It may be that's all you need to win this division.  Heck, no matter what this years QB situation will be better than Smith and Haskins.

If he "blows up" this year as you say, there's zero chance he's playing next season under this same contract IMO.

It's low for back-up money, but he's never even really been a back-up before. Again, not a huge amount of money, just a little surprised considering he's about to turn 28 and has about as many injuries as games played in his career. Rooting for him as it would be a great story but have pretty low expectations.
I didn’t know you were Heinecke’s agent. The point that you completely ignored of course is the benefit of having him under contract for another year and the leverage that gives the team in an extension if it comes to that. So you wanted him back and tendered at a 2nd, but think this contract is too much? Again, the difference in money is minimal. You’re splitting hairs here. And everyone knows the injury history, but he also played the best 5 quarters of football of any WFT QB by far this season. If the team thinks there is any potential upside with him, this is a smart deal. 

Johnny Utah #9 said:
I didn’t know you were Heinecke’s agent. The point that you completely ignored of course is the benefit of having him under contract for another year and the leverage that gives the team in an extension if it comes to that. So you wanted him back and tendered at a 2nd, but think this contract is too much? Again, the difference in money is minimal. You’re splitting hairs here. And everyone knows the injury history, but he also played the best 5 quarters of football of any WFT QB by far this season. If the team thinks there is any potential upside with him, this is a smart deal. 
There are lots of "culture intangiables" here.  I read an article where the other players on team really respect Heinicke for not only showing grit, but coming in and being very prepared with a high work ethic (ironically, same as Smith but not the same as Haskins). The fact that the team is placing faith in a guy like that and rewarding a guy like that is in fact part of "building a culture" based on a meritocracy.  There is a trend.  You elevate Cameron Kurl instead of signing the flashy free agent.  You give Logan Thomas a chance instead of breaking bank on a big name TE.  I'm not saying Heinicke is a world beater, but he is a legitimate back up QB who can come in without our saying, "Oh crap, we've lost now."  That's pretty valuable in a backup QB.  We have not always had one at that level.  Equally important, it signals something to the rest of the players about what may happen if you work hard and make the most of your chance on the field.  That has NOT always been the culture over the last 20 years.  We can quibble over the details of the contract but big picture here I like the signing...

Users who are viewing this thread