What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

There are lots of "culture intangiables" here.  I read an article where the other players on team really respect Heinicke for not only showing grit, but coming in and being very prepared with a high work ethic (ironically, same as Smith but not the same as Haskins). The fact that the team is placing faith in a guy like that and rewarding a guy like that is in fact part of "building a culture" based on a meritocracy.  There is a trend.  You elevate Cameron Kurl instead of signing the flashy free agent.  You give Logan Thomas a chance instead of breaking bank on a big name TE.  I'm not saying Heinicke is a world beater, but he is a legitimate back up QB who can come in without our saying, "Oh crap, we've lost now."  That's pretty valuable in a backup QB.  We have not always had one at that level.  Equally important, it signals something to the rest of the players about what may happen if you work hard and make the most of your chance on the field.  That has NOT always been the culture over the last 20 years.  We can quibble over the details of the contract but big picture here I like the signing...
Great post. This is another aspect of Ron bringing a much needed culture change to this franchise. 

And I still don’t see the logic in complaining about not using 2nd round tender as it pays $3.259 million. So whoever has a problem with this is quibbling over around 800k, which is probably Danny Boy’s fuel budget for his yacht. 

More details on the TH contract via WaPo. This deal is as team friendly as it gets: 

“Taylor Heinicke's 2-year contract includes salaries of $1 million and $1.5 million in 2021 and 2022, respectively. The rest can be earned in bonuses/incentives, for a max value of $8.75 million.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1359672753444519939

So most of the contract is heavily tied to incentives (further breakdown in the link). So this deal pays him a base salary even LESS than the 2nd round tender would have. Like I said, great deal all around, and now it turns out it’s even more team friendly than expected.

There are lots of "culture intangiables" here.  I read an article where the other players on team really respect Heinicke for not only showing grit, but coming in and being very prepared with a high work ethic (ironically, same as Smith but not the same as Haskins). The fact that the team is placing faith in a guy like that and rewarding a guy like that is in fact part of "building a culture" based on a meritocracy.  There is a trend.  You elevate Cameron Kurl instead of signing the flashy free agent.  You give Logan Thomas a chance instead of breaking bank on a big name TE.  I'm not saying Heinicke is a world beater, but he is a legitimate back up QB who can come in without our saying, "Oh crap, we've lost now."  That's pretty valuable in a backup QB.  We have not always had one at that level.  Equally important, it signals something to the rest of the players about what may happen if you work hard and make the most of your chance on the field.  That has NOT always been the culture over the last 20 years.  We can quibble over the details of the contract but big picture here I like the signing...
I think it's premature to say that he's a legitimate back-up QB, time will tell. I agree that the culture change signaling is worth something, however it seems a bit contradictory to say that it's good that they are rewarding their players but then say they will use that 2nd year as leverage against him for a new contract if he does well next year (you didn't say that, and I don't think they would really use it anyway- if he blows up they'll be happy to give him a bigger deal IMO).

Great post. This is another aspect of Ron bringing a much needed culture change to this franchise. 

And I still don’t see the logic in complaining about not using 2nd round tender as it pays $3.259 million. So whoever has a problem with this is quibbling over around 800k, which is probably Danny Boy’s fuel budget for his yacht. 
This is pretty much moot now that the details are out, but the big difference obviously is the 2nd year.

More details on the TH contract via WaPo. This deal is as team friendly as it gets: 

“Taylor Heinicke's 2-year contract includes salaries of $1 million and $1.5 million in 2021 and 2022, respectively. The rest can be earned in bonuses/incentives, for a max value of $8.75 million.”

So most of the contract is heavily tied to incentives (further breakdown in the link). So this deal pays him a base salary even LESS than the 2nd round tender would have. Like I said, great deal all around, and now it turns out it’s even more team friendly than expected.
Yep, very team friendly and a no-brainer with these terms.

Yea I’m fine with the signing.  I don’t see him starting the entire season but who knows.  We better draft a qb at some point in the draft or bring in a vet.  Or both.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nbcsports/report-washington-extremely-interested-in-qb-marcus-mariota/2573513/%3famp

The latest hot off the press of the rumor mill has WFT highly interested in Mariota. I’ve mentioned him here before and I would like this move if the compensation is right. Most I would want to give up is a 4th or a 5th, but as a reclamation project he could be worth a shot. He fits the type of mobile QB that Ron appears to be looking for. He’s still relatively young, and he showed well in his one spot start for the Raiders last season. If we brought him in I’d still like to see an open competition in camp and see how it shakes out. But this is the type of move I would definitely prefer over giving up higher draft capital for a guy like Darnold.

Johnny Utah #9 said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nbcsports/report-washington-extremely-interested-in-qb-marcus-mariota/2573513/%3famp

The latest hot off the press of the rumor mill has WFT highly interested in Mariota. I’ve mentioned him here before and I would like this move if the compensation is right. Most I would want to give up is a 4th or a 5th, but as a reclamation project he could be worth a shot. He fits the type of mobile QB that Ron appears to be looking for. He’s still relatively young, and he showed well in his one spot start for the Raiders last season. If we brought him in I’d still like to see an open competition in camp and see how it shakes out. But this is the type of move I would definitely prefer over giving up higher draft capital for a guy like Darnold.
Mariota is under contract.  Why would the Raiders want to trade him?  He was signed as a high end backup and apparently delivered.

Mariota is under contract.  Why would the Raiders want to trade him?  He was signed as a high end backup and apparently delivered.
He’s being paid 11m. Between him and Carr, that is a lot of the cap to tie up on the QB position. There has been much reporting that the Raiders might be looking on to move on from one of them given this situation. 

Sportrac has Heinicke's contract details:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/taylor-heinicke-17249/

$1M signing bonus

Base salaries of $1M in 2021 and $1.5M in 2022

Per game roster bonuses of $500k in 2021 and $750k in 2022.

Total is $4.75M for 2 years.  Another $4M available in incentives.

$1.5M guaranteed.

He is an inexpensive backup QB, which is not surprising since we was a RFA.  Kyle Allen is even less expensive since he is playing on a rookie deal as an undrafted free agent.

Hearing lots of talk about trading for Mariota lately.  

Pros:  good athlete and measurables, High potential, starter experience, Relatively young, cheap in terms of parting with draft assets

Con:  is contract good if he doesn’t become starter?  Is he a Clearly better option than Allen/heinicke?

Thoughts?

Hearing lots of talk about trading for Mariota lately.  

Pros:  good athlete and measurables, High potential, starter experience, Relatively young, cheap in terms of parting with draft assets

Con:  is contract good if he doesn’t become starter?  Is he a Clearly better option than Allen/heinicke?

Thoughts?
Wouldn't mind that signing, if within reason, assets-wise. I don't think that Heinicke or Kyle Allen are more than temporary solutions at QB. I don't think Mariota is either, but adding him to the Team would please me in 2 ways.

1. Taylor, Kyle and Marcus are all relatively the same thing, from a skills perspective, as in what kind of qb they are. That's excellent for continuity of the offense, in the sense that in the case of injury or poor play, the guy coming in from the sidelines brings relatively the same guy to the field. It makes no sense to me how some Teams/Coaching Staffs have reserve qb on the Roster who don't mirror the starter in certain ways, forcing a change to the scheme, to some degree, to accomodate the new guy manning the pivot. Mariota would fit right in the qb room with Heinicke/Allen, and the pass-catchers would have to make few adjustments were any of them to be taking meaningful snaps.

2. High degree of competition is key to high level of performance in athletics, especially when you're dealing with athletes with similar talent level/skills. I don't think any of these guys stand out from the other right now, but in the sense of how the process should work, they're close enough to have a + impact on each other (iron sharpens iron), and the one who wins the job will be better for competing for it, and the ones who don't will still improve via the competition, and be better contributors, or show poorly enough to be shown the door. Either outcome is better for everyone involved. It's a part of the playbook of how winner's win.

If the price is right, I'm all for adding Mariota, and using our Draft Picks to address the many other areas of need that still exist on the Team.

I think the landscape has changed a significant amount since they signed Mariota. 

- At the time of the signing most people were expecting the 2021 NFL salary cap to be closer to $215Mil than $180Mil. Having such a highly paid backup for a non-playoff team seems like a bigger luxury with the unexpectedly lower salary cap this season. And that money could be needed other places.....

- It's pretty clear that the raiders were excited about the WR prospects in the 2020 draft and likely thought they could build a WR group out of that strong WR class. It still may work, but based on what we've seen so far they may need to add more. In particular I liked Braylon Edwards coming into the draft but both he and Ruggs have a way to go to match even the productivity of Agholor. 

- The raiders also probably thought the defense was headed in the right direction in 2019 on the backs of their young/cheap players but the defense took a huge step back in 2020 surrendering nearly 30ppg. It may take both money and extra picks to help turn that group around. It's REALLY bad. Maybe bottom 3 in the league bad.

- I thought Mariota was brought in to push Carr for the starting job, and Carr responded by having one of his best seasons. That doesn't mean Gruden won't still look to replace Carr, but he played well last year and was firmly entrenched as the starter even after Carr got dinged up last year. Perhaps most important Carr led the offense to a top 10 performance in the league. The offense wasn't really the reason the team missed the playoffs last season.

This isn't to say I think WAS should trade for him, although I have always been more of a Mariota believer than most, but I can certainly see reasons to think LV would now be motivated to move on from Mariota after signing him just one year ago.

If we can't land Watson or Winston, I think I'd rather have Mariota over anyone else available....
My problem with Winston is.... why wasn't WAS interested at all last offseason? WAS easily could have double or tripled the money NO gave Winston with the opportunity to compete for a starting job. 

It's kind of like the folks that think Cam makes sense in WAS. Well, if they didn't have any interest last offseason when Cam twisted in the wind week after week after week I don't really know why they would suddenly be more interested in a year older version of Cam.

Jay Gruden is talking a lot of smack lately I notice.  Snyder is a train wreck to be sure.  But not sure how I feel about Jay spilling so many secrets publically in the last few days.  There is this piece, and then there was some story trashing Garcon and Jackson for being the ones to blame when Cousins took a knee before the half vs. Philly and blew the chance for a field goal.  So he's not just throwing Snyder under the bus but also trashing former players.  Not a good look for Coach Jay...not a big fan of that guy...from what I hear, he also has some skeletons and maybe shouldn't be talking so much smack.  

Besides, we know Snyder is a putz.  We don't need Jay to tell us...

Jay Gruden is talking a lot of smack lately I notice.  Snyder is a train wreck to be sure.  But not sure how I feel about Jay spilling so many secrets publically in the last few days.  There is this piece, and then there was some story trashing Garcon and Jackson for being the ones to blame when Cousins took a knee before the half vs. Philly and blew the chance for a field goal.  So he's not just throwing Snyder under the bus but also trashing former players.  Not a good look for Coach Jay...not a big fan of that guy...from what I hear, he also has some skeletons and maybe shouldn't be talking so much smack.  

Besides, we know Snyder is a putz.  We don't need Jay to tell us...
Jay is just as much an idiot as Snyder is. I agree he should just shut up and coach his own team...

The Grudens love to hear themselves talk.  Nothing really shocking.   It's a year from his firing.  Maybe the statute of limitations ran out on his NDA and he's been itching to make himself look better.  None of it really matters.  Just a bad coach getting stuff off his chest about a classless tool of an owner. 

I'm more interested in the path of this team.  Obviously at QB.  I don't see Carr or Watson here at this point, although I'd like either for the right price.   Mariota and Darnold are both intriguing.  None of the rookies at #19 or later float my boat.  Don't want anyone over 30 years old.  I think all the other holes can be filled in draft/FA....ILB, FS, WR, LT, CB.  QB is the tough one cause it will likely take a trade of picks or players to get another one in here, and that requires the other team even wanting to trade them.  Not sure if I was LV or NYJ that I would be trading them anyway.

The Washington Post ran an article on the Football Team's options at QB.  Here is the link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/19/washington-football-quarterback-options/

Their top thoughts:

Deshaun Watson - any trade package would probably have to include Chase Young

Darnold - one person thought it would take a mid round draft pick if he becomes available.  Theisman said he would be hesitant to trade for a player who may not be better than what you currently have.

Mariota - Thiesman thinks he could cost a 3rd or 4th round pick and could be a good match

The Washington Post ran an article on the Football Team's options at QB.  Here is the link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/19/washington-football-quarterback-options/

Their top thoughts:

Deshaun Watson - any trade package would probably have to include Chase Young

Darnold - one person thought it would take a mid round draft pick if he becomes available.  Theisman said he would be hesitant to trade for a player who may not be better than what you currently have.

Mariota - Thiesman thinks he could cost a 3rd or 4th round pick and could be a good match
I find myself frequently agreeing with Theisman, and I do so again with this analysis.

Watson is great but I would not give up Chase Young for him.  Keep it mind it would be Chase Young plus several number ones plus another defensive starter.  Just no.

Darnold -- people are acting like he is such a catch and that the Jets may even be asking for a second round pick PLUS for him.  This is all predicated on the idea that Darnold is actually great and it's just the Jets that are dragging him down.  You know, just like Josh Rosen was really great and we would see that when he left Arizona?  No thanks.  I agree with Theisman.  I guess, if they'd take a fourth, I'd think about it but I doubt they'll do that...

Mariota -- like Darnold, Mariota is a risk but the difference is that he's cheaper in terms of giving up assets.  A fourth round pick wouldn't be too much to give up just to see if he can achieve the upside.

I still like the idea of inking Fitz to a two year deal to serve as bridge while we draft a young guy to groom.  This could be the Mac Jones scenario if you think he's there at 19 and if you think he can be coached up to be a starter...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish he would have stayed on as a coach, but wish him the best. Some are saying the Bears or Jags are his most likely destinations. I'll cheer for him wherever he goes...as long as its not Dallas  ;)  

nittanylion said:
Good-bye, good luck and Godspeed, Alex Smith. Wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
It's hard to root for either side in a way.

The past regime handed him a ridiculously generous extension, probably because if Smith didn't earn it they wouldn't be around to clean up the mess anyway. But when the injury happened it's fair to say that the care he received from the team was questionable.

On the other hand, didn't the team up paying him ~$70+Mil for 18 games/3700 yards/16 TD/13 INT right? I can understand him being disappointed that he's not staying on that gravy train but c'mon it would have been salary cap negligence NOT to move on even if the cap was going up the usual $10-20Mil rather than shrinking in 2021. This  quote sounds a little harsh from a guy that was well compensated and the team even even gave him a chance to come back in the first place.....

""didn’t want me there, didn’t want me to be a part of it, didn’t want me to be on the team, the roster, didn’t want to give me a chance."

... I hope he lands in the right situation(CHI or NE or something) and plays well but there are plenty of other players that haven't nearly got as much support from the franchise as Smith got in WAS. I would argue that he was treated much less fairly at every other team he has played for. It's just too bad such a great story has to be end with sour grapes like that. There are plenty of QB's that bounced around last year that were forced to make closer to $1mil last season. Just invest that money so your great, great, great grand kids will never have to work a day in your life and send an xmas card to Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden every year to thank them.

ffmail4me said:
Wish he would have stayed on as a coach, but wish him the best. Some are saying the Bears or Jags are his most likely destinations. I'll cheer for him wherever he goes...as long as its not Dallas  ;)  
After seeing that dal OL last year you would really have to hate Alex Smith to have that team "finish" his career. Yikes.

How much longer they going to remain nameless?  Have to think they'd be itching to start selling some actual logo'd merchandise. 

How much longer they going to remain nameless?  Have to think they'd be itching to start selling some actual logo'd merchandise. 
Maybe someone else can provide a link(s), but it seems to be pretty common knowledge around here that a significant portion of the fan base and team alumni are pretty happy with the whole WFT scheme. I'm not saying it should remain, and I'm not saying it wouldn't be a MASSIVE windfall of profit when the name and everything associated with it is eventually released, but it appears to me that they did about as good a job as they could have to 'go nameless' for an interim period. I despise Dan Snyder vehemently, but I have to admit, they did good with this. The name 'Football Team' aside, they kept the colors, and the scheme is both classy and classic. I see plenty of current gear, etc. around and about the DC Metro Area every day. Team spokespeople have been saying for quite some time now that the next iteration of the WFTskins will debut in time for the 2022 Season. Based on how well the current iteration seems to be performing, I don't think there's a rush inside the organization to shorten that timeline.

Maybe someone else can provide a link(s), but it seems to be pretty common knowledge around here that a significant portion of the fan base and team alumni are pretty happy with the whole WFT scheme. I'm not saying it should remain, and I'm not saying it wouldn't be a MASSIVE windfall of profit when the name and everything associated with it is eventually released, but it appears to me that they did about as good a job as they could have to 'go nameless' for an interim period. I despise Dan Snyder vehemently, but I have to admit, they did good with this. The name 'Football Team' aside, they kept the colors, and the scheme is both classy and classic. I see plenty of current gear, etc. around and about the DC Metro Area every day. Team spokespeople have been saying for quite some time now that the next iteration of the WFTskins will debut in time for the 2022 Season. Based on how well the current iteration seems to be performing, I don't think there's a rush inside the organization to shorten that timeline.
I dig it as a neutral observer. Sort of like Penn State not having the names on the jerseys. Endearing. "Who are we? We're the football team from Washington, D.C." Good on them.

Ya I definitely think they've done a good job with it, but the longer they remain th wtf the odder it will be to change it. I was more so wondering if people thought the wft was going to go on for another year, another 2 years, or another 5 years. While many many buy wit gear, gotta think it's still holding them back from merch sales. 

It's hard to root for either side in a way.

The past regime handed him a ridiculously generous extension, probably because if Smith didn't earn it they wouldn't be around to clean up the mess anyway. But when the injury happened it's fair to say that the care he received from the team was questionable.

On the other hand, didn't the team up paying him ~$70+Mil for 18 games/3700 yards/16 TD/13 INT right? I can understand him being disappointed that he's not staying on that gravy train but c'mon it would have been salary cap negligence NOT to move on even if the cap was going up the usual $10-20Mil rather than shrinking in 2021. This  quote sounds a little harsh from a guy that was well compensated and the team even even gave him a chance to come back in the first place.....

""didn’t want me there, didn’t want me to be a part of it, didn’t want me to be on the team, the roster, didn’t want to give me a chance."

... I hope he lands in the right situation(CHI or NE or something) and plays well but there are plenty of other players that haven't nearly got as much support from the franchise as Smith got in WAS. I would argue that he was treated much less fairly at every other team he has played for. It's just too bad such a great story has to be end with sour grapes like that. There are plenty of QB's that bounced around last year that were forced to make closer to $1mil last season. Just invest that money so your great, great, great grand kids will never have to work a day in your life and send an xmas card to Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden every year to thank them.
It appears Smith signed a 4 years contract extension that guaranteed $71M (2020 guaranteed for injury) over 3 years.  That is $23.3M per year at the worst case scenario.  I believe this was below the going rate for QBs at the time, although Smith's age may have been factored into the contact.

Unfortunately, the worst thing happened in the first year of the contract.  A huge injury. This event would have crippled many teams right after signing a QB to a large contract.  

It is a little unfair to say he was well compensated based on his production that was reduced due to an catastrophic injury.  Nobody, player or team, plans around an injury like that.

It appears Smith signed a 4 years contract extension that guaranteed $71M (2020 guaranteed for injury) over 3 years.  That is $23.3M per year at the worst case scenario.  I believe this was below the going rate for QBs at the time, although Smith's age may have been factored into the contact.
Well, the GUARANTEED portion of the contract was $71Mil but the contract itself was $94Mil for a 33yo at the time and just had the highest QBR of his entire career.  It's actually pretty rare for an NFL player to have their entire salary guaranteed. I think Cousins signed one that was fully guaranteed and it was a big deal.

WAS really had no idea if the new downfield Alex Smith was going to be the new normal at 33yo or if he was going to revert back to his ~7yard/attempt self. Not only did he revert to that guy but he actually below 7yard/attempt before his big injury in 2018... and then last year he was closer to 6yards/attempt than he was 7yards/attempt in 2020. 

Look, I'm not crucifying the guy I'm just saying that a $94Million extension in 2018 was pretty healthy even if you weren't turning 34yo before training camp started on the 2018 season. Maybe that was a below average deal back then... but I don't remember it that way. I don't think that he's been treated unfairly in the least by WAS.

Smith officially released.   The NFL will remember him for the comeback this season.

I will remember Alex as Bruce Allen's way of getting back at Kirk Cousins and showing how inept he was as a GM.    "Hey Jay ... I traded for Alex Smith last night.  Surprised?  Isn't that awesome? Aren't I awesome?  I told you Kurt sucked.  I let him go after he got a lot of extra money from us for 2 years.  I win off the field though, right."   Imagine being a coach and not even being asked if trading for a certain QB was a good decision.  Uggh.  Bruce.

Do you remember that one off season when the talk concerning WSH was actually about football? Yea, me neither.
I'm a little surprised that WAS fans don't seem more excited for this FA class given the fact they are in a good cap situation and some people are expecting a flood of new FA's as teams are forced to cut down to the new salary cap.

WAS has a lot of holes and if they were smart they could fill a lot of holes before the draft. Spending on that 2nd/3rd tier of FA should be MUCH more reasonable than in the past, and there should be more of them available. IMO it's so important to go into the draft without being absolutely desperate to draft.... your WR#2 or whatever. Just put yourself in the position to draft the best player on the board.

I see most sources seem to list WAS team needs in some combination of the following....

1. QB

2. LT

3. WR

4. CB

5. OG

6. LB

7. S

8. K(?!)

.... I would still like to see the team upgrade at both TE and RB. Logan Thomas and Antonio Gibson looked good at times but I'm not convinced either guy can carry the entire load. Both are guys I'd like to see in a 1a(or maybe even 1b) type role ideally.

Rolling into FA(and the draft after that) I'd be curious to hear what they think are the most obvious needs on the team. We can all probably agree that it's best to build a team through the draft but when you consider that they really need to bring in multiple guys at a few positions(WR/CB/LB come to mind) it really underscores how the team needs to fill some of these needs before the draft.

I'm a little surprised that WAS fans don't seem more excited for this FA class given the fact they are in a good cap situation and some people are expecting a flood of new FA's as teams are forced to cut down to the new salary cap.

WAS has a lot of holes and if they were smart they could fill a lot of holes before the draft. Spending on that 2nd/3rd tier of FA should be MUCH more reasonable than in the past, and there should be more of them available. IMO it's so important to go into the draft without being absolutely desperate to draft.... your WR#2 or whatever. Just put yourself in the position to draft the best player on the board.
The reason I don't get worked up about it is simply that Bruce Allen, and before him Vinny Cerrato, are no longer involved.  That was 20 years of HORRIBLE GMs.  And Snyder is so busy fighting the NFL and lawsuits that he may be too busy to screw things up.

My faith in the football side of the organization is at its highest point since 2000.  They have holes, but they have cap space, picks, and a lot of free agents available out there that can improve the team

With Prescott getting signed yesterday, WFT will avg least 100+ million in cap space more than Dallas for the next 3 years after this one.  This year might be the year to break the credit card out in FA and dump it into the next few years. (Keeping in mind at least 3DL and McLaurin need to be inked coming up soon.)  Get the cap spending starting in this season as more teams are cap poor this year.  Next year 16 teams will have 100+ million in space per the forecasted cap next year.

Salary cap estimation at overthecap.com.....

I'd think both the Giants and WFT are going to be in much better shape than Dallas and Philly over the next few seasons regarding the cap. And that really can be a great advantage if you're smart with your spending. And now that Allen and Vinny are gone, I'm confident Ron will make smart moves. 

My faith in the football side of the organization is at its highest point since 2000.  They have holes, but they have cap space, picks, and a lot of free agents available out there that can improve the team
In recent days Patriots re-acquire Trent Brown and a 7th rounder in exchange for a 5th rounder. And MIA acquires Isaiah Wilson(who I think was overdrafted in the first round last year, but still...) from TEN just for exchanging 7th round picks. 

Really would have liked to see them plug either their starting LT spot and/or a backup OT spot well before FA even starts. 

ffmail4me said:
Cam resigns with NE. So relieved!!!  :pickle:
I must admit I'm surprised WFT isn't taking a chance on Winston.  Unlike Darnold no trade is needed to get him.  27 years old.  Probably a $6-9M annual salary.   The only risk is his salary, and is it even a risk?  it's not that much for a likely starting QB.

For the same reasons I'm thrilled we didn't sign Cam I would be very happy to sign Winston. Other than Watson or Wilson he's the only FA QB out there I really am excited about landing...

They seem to be in a less likely situation to sign Winston to me than they were last year. Last year they were the second worst team in the league so what did they have to lose? But they still didn't seem to have any interest. I don't hate Winston but keep in mind he almost single handedly kept a very good TB defense out of the PLAYOFFS in 2019. That was a SB caliber defense before Brady got there. 

Users who are viewing this thread