Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Football Team Thread


Recommended Posts

The Washington Football Team has agreed to terms on a 2-year extension for QB Taylor Heinicke, sources say, worth $8.75M. There are also incentives depending on how many games he starts. Real security for their resilient QB who started and impressed in the playoff game. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like to see guys stay, too, and I think Cousins is a decent QB. But he's gone already. Sure, he'll play this year, but only for the franchise $$$ and not because he wants to be here. I really don't

Had such a great time today. Huge Skins tailgate. L.A. Coliseum was fun. Just feels like a part of history. I couldn't believe how many times we ran the ball. It was awesome to see that. Especially si

I think I went through the same emotional steps with this trade as I do with a regular season game. Trade for Alex Smith = We're playing pretty well, got an early lead, maybe we can win this gam

Off the couch to making $8 million bucks. What a great story. And he's a HUGE upgrade to what we had this year IF he's our designated backup...but who knows, maybe he competes for the starting job. I'm very happy with the signing. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for him. Seems reasonable. Either they get someone else and he’s a good backup at a decent price or they don’t bring in someone else and he competes (likely wins) for the starting spot and is in line for another contract in two years. 
 

 

Edited by dgreen
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

Off the couch to making $8 million bucks. What a great story. And he's a HUGE upgrade to what we had this year IF he's our designated backup...but who knows, maybe he competes for the starting job. I'm very happy with the signing. 

What an amazing story. I guess those math courses at ODU will have to wait. Love this signing and also the fact that they gave him a two year deal. Gives him extra security and covers WFT in case he does indeed win the starter job and blows up this season (probably a long shot, but stranger things have happened). At worst, he is a competent backup in this Turner system that he clearly knows like the back of his hand.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great story and all, but has he ever finished a game without getting injured? Not a huge amount of money but they probably would have been better served with a 2nd round tender IMO- if he does happen to blow up this year he'll be getting a new contract next offseason anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great signing, and sound business decision. Didn't break the bank, and there's a lot of 'good will' intangible ripple-effect benefits connected with what looks like a front office who knows the upside of 'doing right by a guy' in the right time and place. We haven't had a lot of those over the past 2 decades. My scars fuel my skepticism, but it sure would be swell if this were the direction the Team was headed in.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, humpback said:

Great story and all, but has he ever finished a game without getting injured? Not a huge amount of money but they probably would have been better served with a 2nd round tender IMO- if he does happen to blow up this year he'll be getting a new contract next offseason anyway.

He wouldn’t necessarily be getting a new contract, and even if he did under this scenario it clearly puts WFT in a much better bargaining position. They would be coming to the table with another year of his rights under their control instead of negotiating with him as a UFA. It’s a smart move by the team considering the small spread in AAV. And besides, this is low for back-up money regardless. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

He wouldn’t necessarily be getting a new contract, and even if he did under this scenario it clearly puts WFT in a much better bargaining position. They would be coming to the table with another year of his rights under their control instead of negotiating with him as a UFA. It’s a smart move by the team considering the small spread in AAV. And besides, this is low for back-up money regardless. 

If he "blows up" this year as you say, there's zero chance he's playing next season under this same contract IMO.

It's low for back-up money, but he's never even really been a back-up before. Again, not a huge amount of money, just a little surprised considering he's about to turn 28 and has about as many injuries as games played in his career. Rooting for him as it would be a great story but have pretty low expectations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for him. He's still gonna be doing math.  Counting up compound interest on his new salary :)  Even if he doesn't make the full amount, it's  >>> career salary as a math teacher.

I don't think he or Allen are more than a backup or stopgap QB.  Adequate starters if it's all there is, but not top 15 at all.  It may be that's all you need to win this division.  Heck, no matter what this years QB situation will be better than Smith and Haskins.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, humpback said:

If he "blows up" this year as you say, there's zero chance he's playing next season under this same contract IMO.

It's low for back-up money, but he's never even really been a back-up before. Again, not a huge amount of money, just a little surprised considering he's about to turn 28 and has about as many injuries as games played in his career. Rooting for him as it would be a great story but have pretty low expectations.

I didn’t know you were Heinecke’s agent. The point that you completely ignored of course is the benefit of having him under contract for another year and the leverage that gives the team in an extension if it comes to that. So you wanted him back and tendered at a 2nd, but think this contract is too much? Again, the difference in money is minimal. You’re splitting hairs here. And everyone knows the injury history, but he also played the best 5 quarters of football of any WFT QB by far this season. If the team thinks there is any potential upside with him, this is a smart deal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

I didn’t know you were Heinecke’s agent. The point that you completely ignored of course is the benefit of having him under contract for another year and the leverage that gives the team in an extension if it comes to that. So you wanted him back and tendered at a 2nd, but think this contract is too much? Again, the difference in money is minimal. You’re splitting hairs here. And everyone knows the injury history, but he also played the best 5 quarters of football of any WFT QB by far this season. If the team thinks there is any potential upside with him, this is a smart deal. 

There are lots of "culture intangiables" here.  I read an article where the other players on team really respect Heinicke for not only showing grit, but coming in and being very prepared with a high work ethic (ironically, same as Smith but not the same as Haskins). The fact that the team is placing faith in a guy like that and rewarding a guy like that is in fact part of "building a culture" based on a meritocracy.  There is a trend.  You elevate Cameron Kurl instead of signing the flashy free agent.  You give Logan Thomas a chance instead of breaking bank on a big name TE.  I'm not saying Heinicke is a world beater, but he is a legitimate back up QB who can come in without our saying, "Oh crap, we've lost now."  That's pretty valuable in a backup QB.  We have not always had one at that level.  Equally important, it signals something to the rest of the players about what may happen if you work hard and make the most of your chance on the field.  That has NOT always been the culture over the last 20 years.  We can quibble over the details of the contract but big picture here I like the signing...

Edited by MikeApf
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

There are lots of "culture intangiables" here.  I read an article where the other players on team really respect Heinicke for not only showing grit, but coming in and being very prepared with a high work ethic (ironically, same as Smith but not the same as Haskins). The fact that the team is placing faith in a guy like that and rewarding a guy like that is in fact part of "building a culture" based on a meritocracy.  There is a trend.  You elevate Cameron Kurl instead of signing the flashy free agent.  You give Logan Thomas a chance instead of breaking bank on a big name TE.  I'm not saying Heinicke is a world beater, but he is a legitimate back up QB who can come in without our saying, "Oh crap, we've lost now."  That's pretty valuable in a backup QB.  We have not always had one at that level.  Equally important, it signals something to the rest of the players about what may happen if you work hard and make the most of your chance on the field.  That has NOT always been the culture over the last 20 years.  We can quibble over the details of the contract but big picture here I like the signing...

Great post. This is another aspect of Ron bringing a much needed culture change to this franchise. 

And I still don’t see the logic in complaining about not using 2nd round tender as it pays $3.259 million. So whoever has a problem with this is quibbling over around 800k, which is probably Danny Boy’s fuel budget for his yacht. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

More details on the TH contract via WaPo. This deal is as team friendly as it gets: 

“Taylor Heinicke's 2-year contract includes salaries of $1 million and $1.5 million in 2021 and 2022, respectively. The rest can be earned in bonuses/incentives, for a max value of $8.75 million.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1359672753444519939
 

So most of the contract is heavily tied to incentives (further breakdown in the link). So this deal pays him a base salary even LESS than the 2nd round tender would have. Like I said, great deal all around, and now it turns out it’s even more team friendly than expected.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeApf said:

There are lots of "culture intangiables" here.  I read an article where the other players on team really respect Heinicke for not only showing grit, but coming in and being very prepared with a high work ethic (ironically, same as Smith but not the same as Haskins). The fact that the team is placing faith in a guy like that and rewarding a guy like that is in fact part of "building a culture" based on a meritocracy.  There is a trend.  You elevate Cameron Kurl instead of signing the flashy free agent.  You give Logan Thomas a chance instead of breaking bank on a big name TE.  I'm not saying Heinicke is a world beater, but he is a legitimate back up QB who can come in without our saying, "Oh crap, we've lost now."  That's pretty valuable in a backup QB.  We have not always had one at that level.  Equally important, it signals something to the rest of the players about what may happen if you work hard and make the most of your chance on the field.  That has NOT always been the culture over the last 20 years.  We can quibble over the details of the contract but big picture here I like the signing...

I think it's premature to say that he's a legitimate back-up QB, time will tell. I agree that the culture change signaling is worth something, however it seems a bit contradictory to say that it's good that they are rewarding their players but then say they will use that 2nd year as leverage against him for a new contract if he does well next year (you didn't say that, and I don't think they would really use it anyway- if he blows up they'll be happy to give him a bigger deal IMO).

1 hour ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Great post. This is another aspect of Ron bringing a much needed culture change to this franchise. 

And I still don’t see the logic in complaining about not using 2nd round tender as it pays $3.259 million. So whoever has a problem with this is quibbling over around 800k, which is probably Danny Boy’s fuel budget for his yacht. 

This is pretty much moot now that the details are out, but the big difference obviously is the 2nd year.

45 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

More details on the TH contract via WaPo. This deal is as team friendly as it gets: 

“Taylor Heinicke's 2-year contract includes salaries of $1 million and $1.5 million in 2021 and 2022, respectively. The rest can be earned in bonuses/incentives, for a max value of $8.75 million.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1359672753444519939
 

So most of the contract is heavily tied to incentives (further breakdown in the link). So this deal pays him a base salary even LESS than the 2nd round tender would have. Like I said, great deal all around, and now it turns out it’s even more team friendly than expected.

Yep, very team friendly and a no-brainer with these terms.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nbcsports/report-washington-extremely-interested-in-qb-marcus-mariota/2573513/%3famp
 

The latest hot off the press of the rumor mill has WFT highly interested in Mariota. I’ve mentioned him here before and I would like this move if the compensation is right. Most I would want to give up is a 4th or a 5th, but as a reclamation project he could be worth a shot. He fits the type of mobile QB that Ron appears to be looking for. He’s still relatively young, and he showed well in his one spot start for the Raiders last season. If we brought him in I’d still like to see an open competition in camp and see how it shakes out. But this is the type of move I would definitely prefer over giving up higher draft capital for a guy like Darnold.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nbcsports/report-washington-extremely-interested-in-qb-marcus-mariota/2573513/%3famp
 

The latest hot off the press of the rumor mill has WFT highly interested in Mariota. I’ve mentioned him here before and I would like this move if the compensation is right. Most I would want to give up is a 4th or a 5th, but as a reclamation project he could be worth a shot. He fits the type of mobile QB that Ron appears to be looking for. He’s still relatively young, and he showed well in his one spot start for the Raiders last season. If we brought him in I’d still like to see an open competition in camp and see how it shakes out. But this is the type of move I would definitely prefer over giving up higher draft capital for a guy like Darnold.

Mariota is under contract.  Why would the Raiders want to trade him?  He was signed as a high end backup and apparently delivered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marvelous said:

Mariota is under contract.  Why would the Raiders want to trade him?  He was signed as a high end backup and apparently delivered.

He’s being paid 11m. Between him and Carr, that is a lot of the cap to tie up on the QB position. There has been much reporting that the Raiders might be looking on to move on from one of them given this situation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, Johnny Utah #9 said:

More details on the TH contract via WaPo. This deal is as team friendly as it gets: 

“Taylor Heinicke's 2-year contract includes salaries of $1 million and $1.5 million in 2021 and 2022, respectively. The rest can be earned in bonuses/incentives, for a max value of $8.75 million.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1359672753444519939
 

So most of the contract is heavily tied to incentives (further breakdown in the link). So this deal pays him a base salary even LESS than the 2nd round tender would have. Like I said, great deal all around, and now it turns out it’s even more team friendly than expected.

Sportrac has Heinicke's contract details:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/taylor-heinicke-17249/

$1M signing bonus

Base salaries of $1M in 2021 and $1.5M in 2022

Per game roster bonuses of $500k in 2021 and $750k in 2022.

Total is $4.75M for 2 years.  Another $4M available in incentives.

$1.5M guaranteed.

He is an inexpensive backup QB, which is not surprising since we was a RFA.  Kyle Allen is even less expensive since he is playing on a rookie deal as an undrafted free agent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing lots of talk about trading for Mariota lately.  
 

Pros:  good athlete and measurables, High potential, starter experience, Relatively young, cheap in terms of parting with draft assets

Con:  is contract good if he doesn’t become starter?  Is he a Clearly better option than Allen/heinicke?

Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeApf said:

Hearing lots of talk about trading for Mariota lately.  
 

Pros:  good athlete and measurables, High potential, starter experience, Relatively young, cheap in terms of parting with draft assets

Con:  is contract good if he doesn’t become starter?  Is he a Clearly better option than Allen/heinicke?

Thoughts?

Wouldn't mind that signing, if within reason, assets-wise. I don't think that Heinicke or Kyle Allen are more than temporary solutions at QB. I don't think Mariota is either, but adding him to the Team would please me in 2 ways.

1. Taylor, Kyle and Marcus are all relatively the same thing, from a skills perspective, as in what kind of qb they are. That's excellent for continuity of the offense, in the sense that in the case of injury or poor play, the guy coming in from the sidelines brings relatively the same guy to the field. It makes no sense to me how some Teams/Coaching Staffs have reserve qb on the Roster who don't mirror the starter in certain ways, forcing a change to the scheme, to some degree, to accomodate the new guy manning the pivot. Mariota would fit right in the qb room with Heinicke/Allen, and the pass-catchers would have to make few adjustments were any of them to be taking meaningful snaps.

2. High degree of competition is key to high level of performance in athletics, especially when you're dealing with athletes with similar talent level/skills. I don't think any of these guys stand out from the other right now, but in the sense of how the process should work, they're close enough to have a + impact on each other (iron sharpens iron), and the one who wins the job will be better for competing for it, and the ones who don't will still improve via the competition, and be better contributors, or show poorly enough to be shown the door. Either outcome is better for everyone involved. It's a part of the playbook of how winner's win.

If the price is right, I'm all for adding Mariota, and using our Draft Picks to address the many other areas of need that still exist on the Team.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 12:51 AM, Marvelous said:

Mariota is under contract.  Why would the Raiders want to trade him?  He was signed as a high end backup and apparently delivered.

I think the landscape has changed a significant amount since they signed Mariota. 

- At the time of the signing most people were expecting the 2021 NFL salary cap to be closer to $215Mil than $180Mil. Having such a highly paid backup for a non-playoff team seems like a bigger luxury with the unexpectedly lower salary cap this season. And that money could be needed other places.....

- It's pretty clear that the raiders were excited about the WR prospects in the 2020 draft and likely thought they could build a WR group out of that strong WR class. It still may work, but based on what we've seen so far they may need to add more. In particular I liked Braylon Edwards coming into the draft but both he and Ruggs have a way to go to match even the productivity of Agholor. 

- The raiders also probably thought the defense was headed in the right direction in 2019 on the backs of their young/cheap players but the defense took a huge step back in 2020 surrendering nearly 30ppg. It may take both money and extra picks to help turn that group around. It's REALLY bad. Maybe bottom 3 in the league bad.

- I thought Mariota was brought in to push Carr for the starting job, and Carr responded by having one of his best seasons. That doesn't mean Gruden won't still look to replace Carr, but he played well last year and was firmly entrenched as the starter even after Carr got dinged up last year. Perhaps most important Carr led the offense to a top 10 performance in the league. The offense wasn't really the reason the team missed the playoffs last season.

This isn't to say I think WAS should trade for him, although I have always been more of a Mariota believer than most, but I can certainly see reasons to think LV would now be motivated to move on from Mariota after signing him just one year ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

If we can't land Watson or Winston, I think I'd rather have Mariota over anyone else available....

My problem with Winston is.... why wasn't WAS interested at all last offseason? WAS easily could have double or tripled the money NO gave Winston with the opportunity to compete for a starting job. 

It's kind of like the folks that think Cam makes sense in WAS. Well, if they didn't have any interest last offseason when Cam twisted in the wind week after week after week I don't really know why they would suddenly be more interested in a year older version of Cam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nittanylion said:

:wall::wall::wall:

Jay Gruden is talking a lot of smack lately I notice.  Snyder is a train wreck to be sure.  But not sure how I feel about Jay spilling so many secrets publically in the last few days.  There is this piece, and then there was some story trashing Garcon and Jackson for being the ones to blame when Cousins took a knee before the half vs. Philly and blew the chance for a field goal.  So he's not just throwing Snyder under the bus but also trashing former players.  Not a good look for Coach Jay...not a big fan of that guy...from what I hear, he also has some skeletons and maybe shouldn't be talking so much smack.  

Besides, we know Snyder is a putz.  We don't need Jay to tell us...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

Jay Gruden is talking a lot of smack lately I notice.  Snyder is a train wreck to be sure.  But not sure how I feel about Jay spilling so many secrets publically in the last few days.  There is this piece, and then there was some story trashing Garcon and Jackson for being the ones to blame when Cousins took a knee before the half vs. Philly and blew the chance for a field goal.  So he's not just throwing Snyder under the bus but also trashing former players.  Not a good look for Coach Jay...not a big fan of that guy...from what I hear, he also has some skeletons and maybe shouldn't be talking so much smack.  

Besides, we know Snyder is a putz.  We don't need Jay to tell us...

Jay is just as much an idiot as Snyder is. I agree he should just shut up and coach his own team...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

The Grudens love to hear themselves talk.  Nothing really shocking.   It's a year from his firing.  Maybe the statute of limitations ran out on his NDA and he's been itching to make himself look better.  None of it really matters.  Just a bad coach getting stuff off his chest about a classless tool of an owner. 

I'm more interested in the path of this team.  Obviously at QB.  I don't see Carr or Watson here at this point, although I'd like either for the right price.   Mariota and Darnold are both intriguing.  None of the rookies at #19 or later float my boat.  Don't want anyone over 30 years old.  I think all the other holes can be filled in draft/FA....ILB, FS, WR, LT, CB.  QB is the tough one cause it will likely take a trade of picks or players to get another one in here, and that requires the other team even wanting to trade them.  Not sure if I was LV or NYJ that I would be trading them anyway.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorrisB said:

Ughh, we better take a WR before that if we don't get a good one in FA. Terry needs some help out there!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

Ughh, we better take a WR before that if we don't get a good one in FA. Terry needs some help out there!!! 

we have too many needs to get them all in 1 draft.  Fehoko is pretty solid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Washington Post ran an article on the Football Team's options at QB.  Here is the link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/19/washington-football-quarterback-options/

Their top thoughts:

Deshaun Watson - any trade package would probably have to include Chase Young

Darnold - one person thought it would take a mid round draft pick if he becomes available.  Theisman said he would be hesitant to trade for a player who may not be better than what you currently have.

Mariota - Thiesman thinks he could cost a 3rd or 4th round pick and could be a good match

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marvelous said:

The Washington Post ran an article on the Football Team's options at QB.  Here is the link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/19/washington-football-quarterback-options/

Their top thoughts:

Deshaun Watson - any trade package would probably have to include Chase Young

Darnold - one person thought it would take a mid round draft pick if he becomes available.  Theisman said he would be hesitant to trade for a player who may not be better than what you currently have.

Mariota - Thiesman thinks he could cost a 3rd or 4th round pick and could be a good match

 

I find myself frequently agreeing with Theisman, and I do so again with this analysis.

Watson is great but I would not give up Chase Young for him.  Keep it mind it would be Chase Young plus several number ones plus another defensive starter.  Just no.

Darnold -- people are acting like he is such a catch and that the Jets may even be asking for a second round pick PLUS for him.  This is all predicated on the idea that Darnold is actually great and it's just the Jets that are dragging him down.  You know, just like Josh Rosen was really great and we would see that when he left Arizona?  No thanks.  I agree with Theisman.  I guess, if they'd take a fourth, I'd think about it but I doubt they'll do that...

Mariota -- like Darnold, Mariota is a risk but the difference is that he's cheaper in terms of giving up assets.  A fourth round pick wouldn't be too much to give up just to see if he can achieve the upside.

I still like the idea of inking Fitz to a two year deal to serve as bridge while we draft a young guy to groom.  This could be the Mac Jones scenario if you think he's there at 19 and if you think he can be coached up to be a starter...

Edited by MikeApf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish he would have stayed on as a coach, but wish him the best. Some are saying the Bears or Jags are his most likely destinations. I'll cheer for him wherever he goes...as long as its not Dallas ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nittanylion said:

Good-bye, good luck and Godspeed, Alex Smith. Wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

It's hard to root for either side in a way.

The past regime handed him a ridiculously generous extension, probably because if Smith didn't earn it they wouldn't be around to clean up the mess anyway. But when the injury happened it's fair to say that the care he received from the team was questionable.

On the other hand, didn't the team up paying him ~$70+Mil for 18 games/3700 yards/16 TD/13 INT right? I can understand him being disappointed that he's not staying on that gravy train but c'mon it would have been salary cap negligence NOT to move on even if the cap was going up the usual $10-20Mil rather than shrinking in 2021. This  quote sounds a little harsh from a guy that was well compensated and the team even even gave him a chance to come back in the first place.....

""didn’t want me there, didn’t want me to be a part of it, didn’t want me to be on the team, the roster, didn’t want to give me a chance."

... I hope he lands in the right situation(CHI or NE or something) and plays well but there are plenty of other players that haven't nearly got as much support from the franchise as Smith got in WAS. I would argue that he was treated much less fairly at every other team he has played for. It's just too bad such a great story has to be end with sour grapes like that. There are plenty of QB's that bounced around last year that were forced to make closer to $1mil last season. Just invest that money so your great, great, great grand kids will never have to work a day in your life and send an xmas card to Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden every year to thank them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

Wish he would have stayed on as a coach, but wish him the best. Some are saying the Bears or Jags are his most likely destinations. I'll cheer for him wherever he goes...as long as its not Dallas ;) 

After seeing that dal OL last year you would really have to hate Alex Smith to have that team "finish" his career. Yikes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Smith can be a great mentor for a lot of teams with young QBs. Doubt he enters week one as a starter anywhere.

Jags makes perfect sense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deamon said:

How much longer they going to remain nameless?  Have to think they'd be itching to start selling some actual logo'd merchandise. 

Maybe someone else can provide a link(s), but it seems to be pretty common knowledge around here that a significant portion of the fan base and team alumni are pretty happy with the whole WFT scheme. I'm not saying it should remain, and I'm not saying it wouldn't be a MASSIVE windfall of profit when the name and everything associated with it is eventually released, but it appears to me that they did about as good a job as they could have to 'go nameless' for an interim period. I despise Dan Snyder vehemently, but I have to admit, they did good with this. The name 'Football Team' aside, they kept the colors, and the scheme is both classy and classic. I see plenty of current gear, etc. around and about the DC Metro Area every day. Team spokespeople have been saying for quite some time now that the next iteration of the WFTskins will debut in time for the 2022 Season. Based on how well the current iteration seems to be performing, I don't think there's a rush inside the organization to shorten that timeline.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

Maybe someone else can provide a link(s), but it seems to be pretty common knowledge around here that a significant portion of the fan base and team alumni are pretty happy with the whole WFT scheme. I'm not saying it should remain, and I'm not saying it wouldn't be a MASSIVE windfall of profit when the name and everything associated with it is eventually released, but it appears to me that they did about as good a job as they could have to 'go nameless' for an interim period. I despise Dan Snyder vehemently, but I have to admit, they did good with this. The name 'Football Team' aside, they kept the colors, and the scheme is both classy and classic. I see plenty of current gear, etc. around and about the DC Metro Area every day. Team spokespeople have been saying for quite some time now that the next iteration of the WFTskins will debut in time for the 2022 Season. Based on how well the current iteration seems to be performing, I don't think there's a rush inside the organization to shorten that timeline.

I dig it as a neutral observer. Sort of like Penn State not having the names on the jerseys. Endearing. "Who are we? We're the football team from Washington, D.C." Good on them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nittanylion said:

Maybe someone else can provide a link(s), but it seems to be pretty common knowledge around here that a significant portion of the fan base and team alumni are pretty happy with the whole WFT scheme. I'm not saying it should remain, and I'm not saying it wouldn't be a MASSIVE windfall of profit when the name and everything associated with it is eventually released, but it appears to me that they did about as good a job as they could have to 'go nameless' for an interim period. I despise Dan Snyder vehemently, but I have to admit, they did good with this. The name 'Football Team' aside, they kept the colors, and the scheme is both classy and classic. I see plenty of current gear, etc. around and about the DC Metro Area every day. Team spokespeople have been saying for quite some time now that the next iteration of the WFTskins will debut in time for the 2022 Season. Based on how well the current iteration seems to be performing, I don't think there's a rush inside the organization to shorten that timeline.

Ya I definitely think they've done a good job with it, but the longer they remain th wtf the odder it will be to change it. I was more so wondering if people thought the wft was going to go on for another year, another 2 years, or another 5 years. While many many buy wit gear, gotta think it's still holding them back from merch sales. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I dig it as a neutral observer. Sort of like Penn State not having the names on the jerseys. Endearing. "Who are we? We're the football team from Washington, D.C." Good on them.

I'm a big fan of the whole Penn State thing, too. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

It's hard to root for either side in a way.

The past regime handed him a ridiculously generous extension, probably because if Smith didn't earn it they wouldn't be around to clean up the mess anyway. But when the injury happened it's fair to say that the care he received from the team was questionable.

On the other hand, didn't the team up paying him ~$70+Mil for 18 games/3700 yards/16 TD/13 INT right? I can understand him being disappointed that he's not staying on that gravy train but c'mon it would have been salary cap negligence NOT to move on even if the cap was going up the usual $10-20Mil rather than shrinking in 2021. This  quote sounds a little harsh from a guy that was well compensated and the team even even gave him a chance to come back in the first place.....

""didn’t want me there, didn’t want me to be a part of it, didn’t want me to be on the team, the roster, didn’t want to give me a chance."

... I hope he lands in the right situation(CHI or NE or something) and plays well but there are plenty of other players that haven't nearly got as much support from the franchise as Smith got in WAS. I would argue that he was treated much less fairly at every other team he has played for. It's just too bad such a great story has to be end with sour grapes like that. There are plenty of QB's that bounced around last year that were forced to make closer to $1mil last season. Just invest that money so your great, great, great grand kids will never have to work a day in your life and send an xmas card to Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden every year to thank them.

It appears Smith signed a 4 years contract extension that guaranteed $71M (2020 guaranteed for injury) over 3 years.  That is $23.3M per year at the worst case scenario.  I believe this was below the going rate for QBs at the time, although Smith's age may have been factored into the contact.

Unfortunately, the worst thing happened in the first year of the contract.  A huge injury. This event would have crippled many teams right after signing a QB to a large contract.  

It is a little unfair to say he was well compensated based on his production that was reduced due to an catastrophic injury.  Nobody, player or team, plans around an injury like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marvelous said:

It appears Smith signed a 4 years contract extension that guaranteed $71M (2020 guaranteed for injury) over 3 years.  That is $23.3M per year at the worst case scenario.  I believe this was below the going rate for QBs at the time, although Smith's age may have been factored into the contact.

Well, the GUARANTEED portion of the contract was $71Mil but the contract itself was $94Mil for a 33yo at the time and just had the highest QBR of his entire career.  It's actually pretty rare for an NFL player to have their entire salary guaranteed. I think Cousins signed one that was fully guaranteed and it was a big deal.

WAS really had no idea if the new downfield Alex Smith was going to be the new normal at 33yo or if he was going to revert back to his ~7yard/attempt self. Not only did he revert to that guy but he actually below 7yard/attempt before his big injury in 2018... and then last year he was closer to 6yards/attempt than he was 7yards/attempt in 2020. 

Look, I'm not crucifying the guy I'm just saying that a $94Million extension in 2018 was pretty healthy even if you weren't turning 34yo before training camp started on the 2018 season. Maybe that was a below average deal back then... but I don't remember it that way. I don't think that he's been treated unfairly in the least by WAS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Smith officially released.   The NFL will remember him for the comeback this season.

I will remember Alex as Bruce Allen's way of getting back at Kirk Cousins and showing how inept he was as a GM.    "Hey Jay ... I traded for Alex Smith last night.  Surprised?  Isn't that awesome? Aren't I awesome?  I told you Kurt sucked.  I let him go after he got a lot of extra money from us for 2 years.  I win off the field though, right."   Imagine being a coach and not even being asked if trading for a certain QB was a good decision.  Uggh.  Bruce.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...