What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

Tanner9919 said:
Hi

what are the WFT faithful thinking about the long term prospects of A. Gibson at RB ? Stud? Dud? 
stud but i wouldnt be surprised if WFT picks up a goal line vulture

King of the Jungle said:
WFT added Adam Humphries. Not sure if he was just way underutilized in TEN but I did like his game when he played for Bucs. This offense will be interesting to watch this year.
Thank god, I was prepared to blow a gasket if they traded a pick for Harry.

Tanner9919 said:
Hi

what are the WFT faithful thinking about the long term prospects of A. Gibson at RB ? Stud? Dud? 
They are trying to use him like McCaffrey.  Gibson is a good bit bigger but it's the same role.    I think he will put up a ton of yards.  He's very good.

Not sure about TD counts.  They tried Peyton Barber at the goal line last yea but he's mediocre at best, and Gibson actually looked good there w 11 TDs despite missing some games.  I do think they will draft another RB cause Bryce Love has to be on his way out.  That's about the only thing that would downgrade him a bit from elite status.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say as long as they don't draft a RB in the first 3 or 4 rounds is safe to assume Gibson can and will be elite. Now if they grab a RB early all bets are off. But with the needs at LB, QB, WR, TE, and even CB, I can't fathom them taking a RB before round 5....

Two weeks to the draft.  Obviously, BPA at 19 won't be known until you get to 19, but speculating, it feels like many talking heads are now looking at one of these two:

Christian Darrisaw, OL, Virginia Tech
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/christian-darrisaw/32004441-5268-2260-1da4-71998bd16533

Could be immediate starter and future left tackle anchor.  Our OL kind of overperformed toward the end of last year but I think we still desparately need to upgrade, particularly with Moses getting older and Sherf possibly signing elsewhere next year.  I keep hearing we need LB and that's true, but I think we have more there to keep it together and more FA options than OL.  This would be my # 1 choice.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jeremiah-owusu-koramoah/32004f57-5560-4524-4478-5c5967f00096

We don't just need a LB, we need a LB who can cover.  I think that's supposed to be the trend in the NFL now with all the passing.  So Owusu-Koramoah is supposed to be strong in this regard.  So strong that ND played him in the "slot corner" position when needed. This is the kind of hybrid talent that Rivera likes and quite frankly that fills a specific need.

What do you all think?  I really don't want to see QB or WR first, even though some mocks show that.  Either of these players to me would be an immediate game changer worthy of a number 1 selection.

Bryce Love cut.  No surprise.  Bummer when injury ruins a players career, although he was probably a RB3 when healthy.  Hopefully he has a great life after football.  Think he's been in medical school at UCLA.  Good for him.

Redskins fans (yes they are still my beloved Redskins) isn't it such a contrast now how we have very little coming out of Redskins Park compared to past regimes where there was always some kind of noise...or drama...just none of that now. Its like we are a real football organization :)  I can't wait to see what direction we go in this draft. I hope we load up on the offensive side of the ball (line, WR, TE) and then next year become an attractive destination for Rodgers :)  

ffmail4me said:
Redskins fans (yes they are still my beloved Redskins) isn't it such a contrast now how we have very little coming out of Redskins Park compared to past regimes where there was always some kind of noise...or drama...just none of that now. Its like we are a real football organization :)  I can't wait to see what direction we go in this draft. I hope we load up on the offensive side of the ball (line, WR, TE) and then next year become an attractive destination for Rodgers :)  
I know this is personal for lots of people but please let's use the current team name the league does. Thank you. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/breaking-ereck-flowers-traded-back-to-washington-source-confirms

Redskins swap late round picks with Dolphins to bring back Eric Flowers.

Didn't cost us hardly anything in draft capital and at worse a quality depth signing.  We have to take his contract, which is probably 8 M/ year, which is kind of expensive for a backup?  But this may be part of a move to insulate us against Scherff leaving next year.  I just have this hunch that this signing means Scherff negotiations not happening and the team thinks they'll lose him.  Just something about it.

That said, if we go Darrisaw at 19 our OL may be pretty decent in 2021...

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/breaking-ereck-flowers-traded-back-to-washington-source-confirms

Redskins swap late round picks with Dolphins to bring back Eric Flowers.

Didn't cost us hardly anything in draft capital and at worse a quality depth signing.  We have to take his contract, which is probably 8 M/ year, which is kind of expensive for a backup?  But this may be part of a move to insulate us against Scherff leaving next year.  I just have this hunch that this signing means Scherff negotiations not happening and the team thinks they'll lose him.  Just something about it.

That said, if we go Darrisaw at 19 our OL may be pretty decent in 2021...
Rappaport reports that Washington and Miami swapped the 258 and the 244 picks (7th rounders) to make this trade...so it cost WFT very little.

meanwhile, Schefter reports that “To make his trade to Washington from Miami official, OL Ereck Flowers restructured his contract whereby the Dolphins will pay $6 million in a signing bonus and Washington will pay a $3 million base salary, giving Flowers $9M fully guaranteed this year, per drew rosenhause”

all in all it seems like a solid move to fortify the OL, Depth at worst and starter at best...

There might be some  :tinfoilhat:  to this tangential theory of mine, but maybe Flowers brings an element of familiarity with Fitzpatrick to the OL room that will help with protecting him and allowing him to do his 'Fitzmagic' thing that we're all counting on for 2021.

Remember, fellas, the Fitzpatrick signing was the equivalent of Team Rivera telling us, in very clear terms, that, in their opinion,  just as in 2020, the NFC East is bad enough, from top to bottom, that it's worth going for the short-term goal of winning the Division, and the accompanying auto-berth to the Playoffs, ahead of the long-term goal of building a consistent winner from the ground up. Make the playoffs, and see what happens. Maybe catch lightning in a bottle.

In that regard, it's probably a somewhat prescient signing, if he has familiar knowledge that he can impart to the rest of the line, that might improve Fitz's chances of success. 

Feels like a great deal for Washington and a bit of a headscratcher for Miami. Flowers was probably their 2nd best lineman last year, I know they have a lot of 2nd year guys(and will likely add multiple rookies) but feels like a pretty big ask to hope they all step up at once. At worst a solid depth move for Washington, but also a potential starter for a 14 pick swap in round 7.

And the fact that the Skins are only paying him $3mil is such a big win. Can't ever have too much depth at the line! 

I'm surprised I don't have a star on this thread yet. I wrote up a big love piece on Gibson in his thread this morning. Curious if homers want to weigh in. I had these guys winning the division last year when they were like 2-7. Granted the rest of the division was garbage but I liked what Rivera was doing and still do. I think Fitzpatrick could actually have an incredible season and the sky is the limit for them this year. Give me a star.

Need impact in Round 1. After Parsons none of these LBs float my boat.  And there are some in round 3 that fit the scheme.

1)  CB.  if Caleb Farley falls due to his injury issues i hope they snag him.  Jackson on one side.  Farley on the other.  Fuller covering the slot or even playing some FS.  Think this frees up Collins and Curl to move closer to the box where they can help on TEs and the run.  Takes some pressure off the LBs. 

2)  LT.  i guess Darrisaw or Slater if the later falls.  But that is dependent on what they think of Saahdiq Charles.   They obviously don't think he's a G given the Flowers pickup.  if Charles can play LT there's no need to pick a LT.

3) RB   i know this will get boos from the fans.  i get it.  But Harris and Etienne are both WAY better than McKissock, Barber, and Miller.  Maybe better than Gibson.  So imagine Gibson along with Harris or Etienne in backfield and motioning them to be covered by LBs.  Lots of big plays and TDs.  Think of all the space the other team has to cover with McLaurin, Samuel, Gibson, Etienne, and Logan Thomas on the field.  it starts to look as talented as KC's skill position (w/o the awesome QB).  Gotta score to be a relevant team in the NFL.

Enjoy the draft fellow hogs :)  

I'm surprised I don't have a star on this thread yet. I wrote up a big love piece on Gibson in his thread this morning. Curious if homers want to weigh in. I had these guys winning the division last year when they were like 2-7. Granted the rest of the division was garbage but I liked what Rivera was doing and still do. I think Fitzpatrick could actually have an incredible season and the sky is the limit for them this year. Give me a star.
I weighed in, in the Gibson thread. I'm a big fan of Gibson, but I think if you build a little healthy skepticism into your projections, it might prove to be well-warranted. Going all-in on a Player the way you appear to be with Gibson rarely works out well, and you seem really over the moon with him. It might not hurt to play a little Devil's Advocate at some point. I know you know this, as we compete in the same national high-stakes circles across an array of National Contests, and I respect you as a successful player.

:tipscap:

PFF rated 1st-rounder Jamin Davis as the most-athletic LB in the draft.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. had Davis as the 14th-best prospect overall. "The fact that he can cover. He has great range. He tested out very well. He's very instinctive. He's a really nice player."

I was wrong in my prediction but happy with the pick.  I totally get why Rivera took Davis and like everyone else, I trust judgement of Rivera and Del Rio with respect to linebackers.  The big thing is this definitely was a football pick not a Snyder pick.

He's a great kid, military family, will have ZERO issues off the field. He's also a FREAK if you look at his measurables, 6'3, 234 4.37 40 yard, 42" vertical, and 11' broad jump. And if you look at our defense, this is EXACTLY what we needed, someone who can cover those TEs and WRs. Daniel Jeremiah thinks he could be a rookie of the year type of player for us this season. 

He's a great kid, military family, will have ZERO issues off the field. He's also a FREAK if you look at his measurables, 6'3, 234 4.37 40 yard, 42" vertical, and 11' broad jump. And if you look at our defense, this is EXACTLY what we needed, someone who can cover those TEs and WRs. Daniel Jeremiah thinks he could be a rookie of the year type of player for us this season. 
I think what he may have over the JOK kid from ND is more size to make tackles at the line in addition to covering?  

Interestingly, the ND LB didn't go AT ALL in the first round.  That has to be one of the biggest surprises of the first round...teams are hesitant over something there, and at least Rivera was...

Again it takes some getting used to this new organization, that has a real coach and real GM who actually make smart decisions and apparently have found a way to keep Daniel Snyder locked in a basement somewhere. (I'm kind of picturing something like the 9 to 5 movie)  ;)   

ffmail4me said:
Again it takes some getting used to this new organization, that has a real coach and real GM who actually make smart decisions and apparently have found a way to keep Daniel Snyder locked in a basement somewhere. (I'm kind of picturing something like the 9 to 5 movie)  ;)   
Yea at any minute i thought they would trade it all to get a qb.  😂 

I actually like the WAS second 3rd round pick the best in this draft. Big play WR that should scare the S's away from the LOS with his big play ability. 

1st - Darrisaw LT

Seemed like an easy pick to me.

2nd - Pat Freiermuth TE/ Owusu-Koramoah LB

Cosmi is huge, but Darrisaw moves his feet better and projects to be a better LT week #1 of the NFL season. Cosmi is more of a RT type that COULD develop into a LT. If your starting QB is turning 39 this season that is a big consideration. Most people would have loved to have JOK based on his pre-draft rankings and Rivera system fit but I would have actually leaned Freiemuth here. They desperately need depth at TE in the short term and a long term answer at TE. I am very glad they didn't draft Trask here as some were predicting, despite the fact I like him as a prospect.

3rd(74) - Melifonwu CB/FS

They drafted a bigger CB/FS type in St-Juste but I'm a little confused why they chose the one they did. St-Juste seems like more of a project and Melifonwu just seems like a more natural fit in the zone systems that Rivera typically runs. Melifornwu is also the better tackler if teams attack the edges to avoid all the studs on that DL. To be fair, Melifonwu dropped all the way to pick 101 so I guess most of the NFL is lower on him than I am. Seems strange unless there is a medical issue.

3rd(82) - Brown WR

This is the first pick that I REALLY like. Big play guy that I can envision creating an early connection with Fitz. He may drop some balls but he's a big play machine that will scare a defense. If they would have drafted Freiermuth this would have made a great deep/short receiving combo in the offense for years to come imo.

In summary, I like that they got a LT prospect and another DB, especially a DB with size that can probably play both CB and S. Not too bummed they got a LB, especially a guy that can stay on the field all three downs because he can cover. I just with they would have gotten different guys that did those things. I believe in the coaching staff so let's hope they can coach these guys up to their ceiling. Not giving them a "D" or something as I would have years ago but they could have had an A+ pretty easily imo.

On day 3 of the draft I was really hoping either Mills and/or Trask would have fallen so they could get a developmental QB but both went too high imo. Now I'm hoping Brevin Jordan TE falls to their pick in round 4. If they don't get him you are talking about trying to develop an undrafted TE. 

Somebody, pinch me. I have to be dreaming.

Don't have time to get into any long drawn-out analysis, but our boys drafted almost the perfect piece to fix what's missing on defense at 1.19 (Davis), and another nice defensive depth pick at a position of need in the 3rd, in St. Juste. I think both these guys have upside greater than JOK/Melifonwu, if they're developed properly. There's definitely something going on with both of those guys that NFL personnel have more knowledge of than we do at this point. Remains to be seen.

Pretty obvious I'm a Penn State guy, so I ought to have some bias favoring Freiermuth. I like him plenty, but I'm worried his NFL comp is going to wind up being Anthony Becht, who might wind up being a better NFL TE than a fantasy asset. I don't want an Anthony Becht type in the 1st 2 days of the Draft.

Were there better OT's in this Draft than Cosmi? Yes, a handful...but any I would have drafted over him at the time of his selection were already off the board, and he was part of a small group of remaining OL with potential to be a long-term starter. The left tackle play improved as the Season progressed to the point where it wasn't a glaring concern by season's end. The WFTskins brass know more than we do about Sideeq, and I'm going to assume (I know, I know) it must be good if they went this route pursuing O-Line help. You can't have enough good O-Linemen, and no one pinched their nose at the time Cosmi was selected. He could be a staple on that line at either tackle position into the late 2020's. You have to keep the pipeline full on both sides of the trenches for any long-term sustained success like we're trying to get back to after 2 decades of tomfoolery and hijinx.

Darrisaw was tough to pass up, I agree...but Davis...going into the Draft, we had an elite D Line, and exploitable issues with the back 7 that downgraded the potential effectiveness of that line to below-elite, whatever that tier is called, because it couldn't function to full capacity with the issues behind it. Those issues not only kept the line from being elite, they compromised the efffectiveness  of the entire defense, which was, at best, very good to great, at times...but not elite. If Davis plays up to his ability, the entire defense just got better at all three levels, and when you can acquire a guy that can change the ceiling of an entire unit (one guy whose contributions can potentially make 10 other guys better), elevating it to elite status, I think you have to do it.

There's still Day 3 (4 picks, that will probably turn into more), as well as post-Draft pickings and the next wave of free agency to backfill the roster.

Yes, TE remains a concern. People who know more than us know why Brevin Jordan is falling. I sure don't...but you throw Brown/Humphries into the mix with McLaurin/Samuel, and if you get almost anything out of one of the Sims', or Gandy-Golden, and we get that bruising slasher of an RB I've been harping about for weeks, and all of a sudden you have the makings of an offense that can probably function at a high level while using a TE by committee where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I can't remember when I liked a WFTskins Draft this much. I really can't. I'm somewhat dumbfounded, TBH. Damn.

Love this!!

Nicki Jhabvala

@NickiJhabvala

Washington captains and 1st-round picks Jon Allen and Chase Young took this year's 1st-rounder, LB Jamin Davis, to dinner this evening at DC Prime. Davis arrived in VA on Snyder's private jet, toured the facility, met w/ his coaches, then got time with his new teammates.

Interesting pickup of Jarret Patterson after the draft.  Kind of shocked nobody drafted him.  Competition level plus a bit too slow?

:sigh: Brian Hill signs with the Titans. Probably my #1 guy on the street that I thought might be brought in to replace Stagnant Peyton...

Interesting pickup of Jarret Patterson after the draft.  Kind of shocked nobody drafted him.  Competition level plus a bit too slow?
Like you said, little slow, level of competition, and also physical size. Seems like the type of guy that is nice to have familiar with the system at the end of summer because he's versatile and when the RB injuries happen you have a guy floating out there on waivers that is already familiar with your offensive system. The ceiling on a player like that seems pretty low. There were other prospects that seemed much more dynamic in the back half of the 7th round.

People probably get sick of me pointing out what WAS "could have done"..... BUT.... they had THREE picks in the 7th round and imo they really made mistake waiting until after the draft to address depth at RB. It's not that I think Bradley-King and/or Shaka Toney are terrible prospects. They are actually pretty solid prospects but I'm not sure if either of them make the team unless there are injuries to the DL. By my count there are at least 6 DL that are a lock to make the roster already. Both RB's Kylin Hill and Jermar Jefferson were taken later than either Bradley-King/Toney and I think Hill/Jefferson would have had a solid chance not only to make the roster but possibly work their way into a RBBC with Gibson, but I don't have all that high an opinion of Barber/Miller/McKissic as backups. All three are at that point where we have seen what they can do, the likely decline is coming, and they are pretty much waiver-wire replaceable at this point in their careers. But I'm always bullish on drafting a couple of RB's very late to see if there was a James Robinson-type that slips through the scouting cracks.

I will say that I was happy with the selection of Dax Milne as the second to last pick of the draft. It's kind of a tradition that I end up liking the WAS last pick. He seems like perfect Adam Humphries insurance just in case Humphries continues to struggle to stay healthy. Not saying he would be the direct backup as I assume three WR sets would be McLaurin/Samuel/Brown by the end of the year if Humphries went down, but Milne could develop to fill a Humphries type role in the NFL. This was a deep WR draft and just because Milne was taken very late doesn't mean that he's just a training camp body.

Don't get me started on drafting a long snapper in the 6th round. That's what makes waiting until after the draft to add a RB even more unforgivable when you have a 6th you are burning on LS and three 7th rounders.

I have read quite a few reviews of the Football Team's draft.  Most believe the best picks are OT Cosmi and WR Brown.  Both are very good value picks.

The most questionable picks are:

TE Bates - limited TE with low upside.  Most thought he would be drafted a couple of rounds lower

LS Cheeseman - most teams don't spend draft picks on long snappers

I also saw a few comments on DE Toney, who is a good value, but not a good fit in the 4-3 defense.

As a Bears fan, signing Charles Leno is going to be a sneaky great move for you guys. Feel like I've been thinking that about most of Washington's moves this offseason.

As a Bears fan, signing Charles Leno is going to be a sneaky great move for you guys. Feel like I've been thinking that about most of Washington's moves this offseason.
Things are definitely much much different since we got rid of the last 2 idiot GMs and hired a real coach. Such a nice change for us diehard fans that were so spoiled in the 80s/early 90s and have been MISERABLE ever since. 

09/12/21 vs Chargers, 1pm

Solid opponent, we'll probably have to play a near-flawless game, to win. At least we get them at 10am West Coast time, however, it being Week 1, it's conceivable they could arrive a few days early, and adjust to the time change...come to think of it, they'll likely start prepping for that situation immediately, so it's probably a minor factor at best. 50/50 we start the 2021 Season with a win. I cannot confirm this, but think I heard earlier it leaked that Week 2 we play the Giants on RNF, so, short week, Divisional game...at least it's we're home, and I think we're better than the Giants, and it's a short week for them, too...I'm inclined to go 60/40 on this one.

Great to hear positive things about the Leno acquisition from a Bears fan. I'll have to look into him more. Can't have enough competent OL.

Aloha, Ryan Kerrigan. Liked the person, liked the player. Not elite, but worth the investment. Brought no shame to the B&G.

Wishing you all the best...save for 2x a Season.

Very solid player. The type of guy that had we been a good team the last 10 years, he would have received a lot more national attention. Kind of like Chris Samuels.

He seems like the type of person who will come back to the DC area when he eventually retires and continue to be very involved here like so many players have been over the years.

Aloha, Ryan Kerrigan. Liked the person, liked the player. Not elite, but worth the investment. Brought no shame to the B&G.

Wishing you all the best...save for 2x a Season.
Will Washington get any kind of comp pick for him signing with the Eagles or no? 

Morgan Moses and Geron Christian are both released.  Not sure it is fair to put them in the same sentence.
Maybe it is. Morgan Moses' is a League Average lineman at best. No knock on the guy, he just is what he is, and that's not bad. His greatest attribute is his ability to stay healthy, and man his post every Sunday. He's no John Jansen. Then again, few are. Christian is certainly further down the Totem Pole of OL rankings, but he did an OK job as part of the platoon on the left side last year, IIRC, in tandem with Lucas. This guy from Chicago is pretty good, and apparently they think Flowers is ready to log some snaps back out on the edge, as well as at guard. We'll see, I guess. Gotta keep the heat off Fitz, or we're gonna get more tragic than magic.

Moses was a nice starter, team player, and seems like a good dude.  But letting him (and Kerrigan) go ... neither were impact players at this stage.  They were good enough to get the team by, and aren't needed anymore.  Part of the business.  Plus I assume they liked Cosmi enough at rookie camp they figure Moses can be let go.  Which would be a good thing looking toward the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread