What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (15 Viewers)

The other day, I started a thread about what I think the new name would be for this team.  The answer is the Washington Redhogs.  It's pretty obvious that's what they're going to name the team.  I mean, when they were winning Super Bowls under Joe Gibbs, their offensive line was nicknamed "the Hogs," fans were wearing hog masks, and some of their female fans were calling themselves the "Hogettes."  Joe Gibbs needs to have some input on what to name the team, because he said he would be disappointed if the team didn't adopt the name the "Redhogs."  So, if Daniel Snyder has any sense in his head, he should listen to the advice of Joe Gibbs and start calling themselves the Washington Redhogs!

https://media.nbcwashington.com/2020/08/red_hogs_for_fb.png?

Last edited by a moderator:
The other day, I started a thread about what I think the new name would be for this team.  The answer is the Washington Redhogs.  It's pretty obvious that's what they're going to name the team.  I mean, when they were winning Super Bowls under Joe Gibbs, their offensive line was nicknamed "the Hogs," fans were wearing hog masks, and some of their female fans were calling themselves the "Hogettes."  Joe Gibbs needs to have some input on what to name the team, because he said he would be disappointed if the team didn't adopt the name the "Redhogs."  So, if Daniel Snyder has any sense in his head, he should listen to the advice of Joe Gibbs and start calling themselves the Washington Redhogs.
I’m still on the redwolves train or Washington football club.  But that’s not a bad name either.

I just wish they would make a decision and turn the page.

They are defending division champs. They have an exciting team. McLaurin has the most aggressive QB he's ever had and could be a breakout star. Chase Young could be a defensive MVP candidate. Gibson MIGHT BE one of the few three down RB's in the NFL. Fitz having one last shot is a great storyline. Rivera beating cancer and oh yeah, turning around a Billion dollar sports franchise in his spare time is a fairly inspiring story. Lots of folks in the media including Rich Eisen and Pat McAfee choosing them as the favorite to repeat as division champs. They waisted an entire offseason of selling merch for a team on the rise that has hope for the first time in a long time.

So much to talk about and they have the toilet paper on their heel following them around making you think about the old name of the team. The ironic thing is ANY NAME would have been embraces as an improvement so they can't possibly lose. Snyder has figured out how to take a no-lose situation and turn it into a tie. 

"Football Team" is clearly the best name available. I cannot even believe people are actually advocating for Redhogs. OMG is that terrible. When I saw that was a possibility I assumed someone was joking.

I will be surprised if it isn't a name with a deeper meaning, not just an animal mascot.  Justice, for example.  Heard the suggestion of Sentinels, which apparently is what they call the soldiers who guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  Crossed swords as a logo?  I don't know, I think that's pretty cool.

I guess the Sentinels hold rifles/bayonets.  Maybe not the image they're looking for.

I'd just call it Washington and have nothing else.  Who do you root for?  Washington.  Who won the Super Bowl this year?  Washington.  Sentinels would sound good if it was 1782.  And is probably still the best I've heard.  But anything with "red" in it just reminds me that we lost our team name.

Should be an interesting season.  I like Fitz way better than any QB last year.  He will screw up plenty.  It's fine.  At least he's got arm talent and a brain.  I feel like he can win games, instead of going out there trying not to lose them like last years QBs.   I like the youth throughout the rest of the team.  It's probably not quite the year to be a SB contender, but Rivera is getting them closer.   They need a fast start and a strong finish against division opponents to even be in the playoffs, because that schedule is ugly in midseason.

In each of the last 2 seasons, Ryan Fitzpatrick has had a higher QBR than Alex Smith had in any of his 15 seasons in the NFL.  That's right folks.  Alex Smith not one f'in year had a better QBR than Fitz had the last 2 years. 

No WFT QB has had a QBR than either of Fitz's last 2 years since RG III / Kirk Cousins combined for a QBR of over 70 in 2012.

Just sayin... never count out the beard.

Hadn't heard Sentinel before, but I dig it. Kind of forces a RWB over BG theme, though. Lord knows we have enough of those already.

Cutting Moreland and Gandy Golden seems pretty stupid to me. I know McTyer and St. Juste have been good but you can never have enough good cornerbacks. And Gandy Golden holds on the ball, something that has been lacking for this team for years.

And no kicker to challenge Hopkins?

Cutting Moreland and Gandy Golden seems pretty stupid to me. I know McTyer and St. Juste have been good but you can never have enough good cornerbacks. And Gandy Golden holds on the ball, something that has been lacking for this team for years.

And no kicker to challenge Hopkins?
I thought the same thing about Moreland and AGG.  But then both players cleared waivers -- meaning that no other team thought they were so good as to displace anyone on their rosters -- and Rivera ended up getting them back.  AGG is on practice squad and Moreland is on IR.  I do like both players a lot and hope they can keep them.  I know you can protect a few players on PS.  Anyways, I disagreed with those moves too but I got to take my hat off to WFT staff because they seemed to understand the rest of league better and who would likely clear waivers...they turned out to be right.

The thing with Hopkins is a real head scratcher to me.  I get that you want to give the guy a chance to work through the new "operation" but he just seems shaky as all heck.  They could have brought in some other legs and still retained Hopkins if they wanted, but they didn't even try to look at anyone else.  Way more than Moreland and AGG, this is the decision that I think will be second guessed the first time we lose a game by 2 with DHop missing a field goal.

It seems like the only guy we lost on waivers, who we didn't resign to PS, was Stephen Montez.  Maybe not a huge, huge deal but I did like that we had that 4thCovaid QB on PS...I wonder if we'll think about picking up an emergency QB just so he at least knows the playbook if needed...

Moreland being on IR is kind of fishy. Nobody has said what his injury is. All I've heard is that they'll probably reach an injury settlement with him and he'll be gone.

I did catch some of the preseason games and the announcers said he was having an "unusually quiet" preseason, since he's  usually a standout. McTyer looked suprisingly good and was always close to the receiver. I didn't see St. Juste a lot but from what I've read he's surprised them with his progress so far.

It looks like Fuller now has Moreland's spot covering the slot, with the 2 outside CB's being Jackson and either McTyer or St. Juste.

Glad Gandy-Golden is on the PS; I'm pretty sure he'll be playing this year. And they did sign some kicker to the PS. With a new long snapper and new holder Hopkins doesn't look so good, and he wasn't so good last year.

In each of the last 2 seasons, Ryan Fitzpatrick has had a higher QBR than Alex Smith had in any of his 15 seasons in the NFL.  That's right folks.  Alex Smith not one f'in year had a better QBR than Fitz had the last 2 years. 

No WFT QB has had a QBR than either of Fitz's last 2 years since RG III / Kirk Cousins combined for a QBR of over 70 in 2012.

Just sayin... never count out the beard.

I like him to be an average NFL QB this season. QB 15. Which should unlock McLaurins potential and be good for Gibson and Samuel. 

McLaurin could be a top 12 WR this year. 

Should be an interesting season.  I like Fitz way better than any QB last year.  He will screw up plenty.  It's fine.  At least he's got arm talent and a brain.  I feel like he can win games, instead of going out there trying not to lose them like last years QBs. 
I think Fitzpatrick will start off with too many turnovers, due to learning a new offense and new players. Then I think he'll settle in and play surprisingly well for awhile --- lots of yards and scoring and fewer turnovers. And then I think the turnovers will start going up again, and TH will be the starter by year's end.

Snyder will change the name if he gets a new stadium and is promised a super bowl in it after it opens. He's not dumb enough to pass on hosting a superbowl (which he has desperately wanted since getting ownership of the team). Until he has that guarantee, he'll keep doing the balls-to-the-wall defend-the-name thing he's doing which appeals to the fan base.

He's halfway to getting his Super Bowl now. Just needs a new stadium which could have been in the works already except for the idiocy of Bruce Allen.

Are they for sure be a top 5 fantasy DEF?

and would anybody prefer WAS over PIT, LAR, or TB? 

Nope.  I snagged them off the WW in dynasty near the end of last year to stash for this year, thinking that pass rush would be deadly.  And they'll be good, but the first place schedule is not doing them ANY favors.  Some very tough QB's they have to face, other than the Giants.  And one of the Giants games is week 18.  I'm going to hold on for the first few to see if they are transcendent but won't be afraid to start streaming in week 3 or 4.

John Keim

Ron Rivera said the concern with Curtis Samuel remains about his conditioning, not the groin. They want to make sure he can maintain his effectiveness after a number of plays. He said Samuel doesn't need a full practice for them to know if he's ready or not.
John Keim

Curtis Samuel when asked about playing Sunday says "maybe; who knows. we'll see."

In alumni news:

Washington Realm

Josh Norman just got signed by SF. Meanwhile, Bashaud Breeland, Fabian Moreau, and Ronald Darby are all penciled in as starters on their respective teams. Quinton Dunbar on the other hand, doesn’t have a job.

I thought the same thing about Moreland and AGG.  But then both players cleared waivers -- meaning that no other team thought they were so good as to displace anyone on their rosters -- and Rivera ended up getting them back.  AGG is on practice squad and Moreland is on IR.  I do like both players a lot and hope they can keep them.  I know you can protect a few players on PS.  Anyways, I disagreed with those moves too but I got to take my hat off to WFT staff because they seemed to understand the rest of league better and who would likely clear waivers...they turned out to be right.

The thing with Hopkins is a real head scratcher to me.  I get that you want to give the guy a chance to work through the new "operation" but he just seems shaky as all heck.  They could have brought in some other legs and still retained Hopkins if they wanted, but they didn't even try to look at anyone else.  Way more than Moreland and AGG, this is the decision that I think will be second guessed the first time we lose a game by 2 with DHop missing a field goal.

It seems like the only guy we lost on waivers, who we didn't resign to PS, was Stephen Montez.  Maybe not a huge, huge deal but I did like that we had that 4thCovaid QB on PS...I wonder if we'll think about picking up an emergency QB just so he at least knows the playbook if needed...

Most players will clear waivers since most teams waived lots of players and are trying to get their players onto their practice squads.

GMs need to make their cuts, trying to retain as much talent as possible.  Gandy Golden to the practice squad looked very likely when he was cut.

So what’s the upside for Samuel?  Seems there are a lot of hands to feed.  Debating dropping hardman or golladay to stash. 

PinkydaPimp said:
So what’s the upside for Samuel?  Seems there are a lot of hands to feed.  Debating dropping hardman or golladay to stash. 
Depends entirely on how much he plays, which is completely unpredictable.  If he didn't have an injury history and I knew he was starting this week I'd probably drop him for either of those 2 players. But he might play 7 games this year.

Curtis Samuel  on IR.
This sounds bad as a Washington fan but I'm good with it. Getting Brown involved early is going to pay dividends all year long. He and Fitz are going to go bananas at least a few games me thinks. Think Brunell to Santana Moss vs Dallas :pickle:  

This sounds bad as a Washington fan but I'm good with it. Getting Brown involved early is going to pay dividends all year long. He and Fitz are going to go bananas at least a few games me thinks. Think Brunell to Santana Moss vs Dallas :pickle:  
I’m excited for brown.  Would love it if he beasts out.

Game was over when Gibson coughed it up at the goal line. Didn’t help that Hopkins missed another kick. 

All in all, this was basically the result I expected. We hung with them for a while but couldn’t seal the deal down the stretch. 

Positives to come out of this game: 🍺 man looks like the QB1. Looked much sharper than Fitz out there. Let’s see what the kid can do. 

Game was over when Gibson coughed it up at the goal line. Didn’t help that Hopkins missed another kick. 

All in all, this was basically the result I expected. We hung with them for a while but couldn’t seal the deal down the stretch. 

Positives to come out of this game: 🍺 man looks like the QB1. Looked much sharper than Fitz out there. Let’s see what the kid can do. 
yea at this point lets see what he can do.  let fitz get healthy in case hes a train wreck.  hope the D keeps us in games.

it's WTF, not WFT. they've always stuck always will. even Joe gibbs coming back couldn't cure their ieptitude.

I'm off everyone's bandwagons..no interest in WTF players

Montez Sweat maybe better stop talking about breaking sack records for a bit.  

Herbert converting on like 80% of third downs against our supposed top 5 defense?  That 3rd and 16 conversion toward the end was a joke.

I thought Heinicke looked good and thought his improvisational skills were more suited to an offense in which the offensive line wasn't protecting QB.  Am excited to see what he can do.

Hopkins took a lot of heat pre-season but performed well.  3-4 yes, but the miss was 50+ yards.  He nailed a 48 yarder.  He wasn't the reason we lost.  The defense was the reason we lost.

Giants game is must win IMO if we have aspirations to make the playoffs with a fairly murderous schedule.  Next three games are:  NYG, Buffalo, Atlanta.  NYG and Atlanta are must wins IMO.  Finish the first quarter at 2-2 and the sky is all of a sudden not completely falling. But lose Thursday and people will be talking draft order...

I have forever been a proponent of playing hard in the preseason to have players game ready.  Put them in 1-2 quarters per game and they have to put up at least 10 points.  We've had several coaches in a row that don't give a crap about preseason, and the team comes out totally flat.  And the OL and DL are completely unprepared for being physical.  If the team is  prepared and game ready you basically get off to a 2-0 start since you are in rhythm.  I fail to understand how Ron, Gruden, etc play guys for like 10 mins the entire preseason and expects anything other than failure (Aaron Rodgers another case in point yesterday with his QBR of 13).  Starting a season strong may not be as important as finishing strong, but the wins are there for the taking.  And to me it make guys more injury prone because they aren't absorbing hits and working out all the scheme details .. the type of details that resulted in Fitz getting clobbered then entire time he was in there.  You only get 17 games.  We aren't talking 82 or 162 game seasons like other leagues.  17 games.  You have to come out of the gate completely in synch.  The WFT hasn't in many man years.  I mean Spurrier went full bore in preseason, but he had some horrible talent evaluation.  We have talent.  It was just completely ill-prepared for a full speed game. 

Users who are viewing this thread