Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Football Team Thread

dgreen

3 hours ago, MikeApf said:

What I can't figure out is Jack Del Rio has a pretty solid track record as a defensive coordinator.  You can say that the players didn't become stupid overnight (which I agree, the guys aren't stupid), but using the exact same logic, you could say that Jack Del Rio didn't become a bottom 5 defensive coordinator overnight either. 

The league has a full season of tape on how Washington's defense runs under del Rio and knows better how to attack it. He hasn't adjusted. I'm pretty sure he's been known for awhile as a DC who is slow to adjust strategy, and is more a "we run what we run" guy.

3 hours ago, MikeApf said:

When players are out of position constantly or do not communicate, and we say it is coaching, what exactly does that mean?  Are we honestly arguing the JDR doesn't know defense well enough to teach scheme or communication?  That doesn't seem credible to me, given his track record.  Also, it's kind of hard to say,  "the scheme doesn't work" until the players actually implement the scheme, so we can see whether it works and doesn't work.  As far as I'm seeing and reading, they are not doing that yet.

With the high number of missed communications in the back 7 this year, it's pretty obvious that whatever del Rio's trying to accomplish is not working on the field. Sometimes I've even seen multiple missed communications on one play. There have been numerous receivers for other teams weaving through Washington's zone defense and making easy catches despite having 2-4 defenders within 3-4 yards of them. The defenders look lost, like they're guarding spots and ignoring opposing players. They look too much like Perry Rileys out there. I'd say it's clear that either his scheme is too complicated, or that it's not communicated well, due to the constant mistakes on defense by lots of players.

As bad as they're playing, Winston will probably pass for 3 TDs against them and run for 50 yards.

Given the horrible state of the defense and linebacker in particular, I would hope this team is at least kicking the tires on Jaylen Smith. They have nothing to lose bringing him in at this point. For a guy who gets dinged for lack of motivation, maybe the chance to play Dallas twice gets him going. It's worth a shot at least.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Given the horrible state of the defense and linebacker in particular, I would hope this team is at least kicking the tires on Jaylen Smith. They have nothing to lose bringing him in at this point. For a guy who gets dinged for lack of motivation, maybe the chance to play Dallas twice gets him going. It's worth a shot at least.

So 3 decent defensive players have been signed by other teams in the last week.

LB Jamie Collins - NE
CB Stephen Gilmore - CAR
Jaylen Smith - GB

I wonder if the WTF is even looking at any of these players?  Or if we just consider our roster to be so deep we don't need to look at any of them?  I am not advocating going full on Vinnie Cerrato mode in FA, but consider:  1.) we have something like the 8th most cap space in the NFL right now and 2.) we can sign guys to 1 year deals that won't wreck the cap next year.  

Is Rivera betting that guys like Hudsen and Darryl Roberts can repeat what Kurl did stepping in last year?  Seems like a big gamble to not even try to sign guys to 1 year deals to try to plug some holes and improve the team...

• Like 1

Just now, MikeApf said:

So 3 decent defensive players have been signed by other teams in the last week.

LB Jamie Collins - NE
CB Stephen Gilmore - CAR
Jaylen Smith - GB

I wonder if the WTF is even looking at any of these players?  Or if we just consider our roster to be so deep we don't need to look at any of them?  I am not advocating going full on Vinnie Cerrato mode in FA, but consider:  1.) we have something like the 8th most cap space in the NFL right now and 2.) we can sign guys to 1 year deals that won't wreck the cap next year.  

Is Rivera betting that guys like Hudsen and Darryl Roberts can repeat what Kurl did stepping in last year?  Seems like a big gamble to not even try to sign guys to 1 year deals to try to plug some holes and improve the team...

TBH i dont think the issue is the personnel its the coaching and execution.  Not sure signing folks who need to learn the system will fix the problem we currently have.

Ryan Vermillion sure got whooshed out of town quickly and quietly.

The investigation of Washington Football Team Head Athletic Trainer Ryan Vermillion is related to “possible diversion of prescription drugs” to people who did not have a legitimate reason to get them, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

It seems like there's no way to keep the stink off this team. :wall:

• Sad 2

How much falls to position coaches? I know JDR is the overall coordinator. How much responsibility falls to the DB and LB position coaches when it comes to implementing schemes? Honest question, I have no idea how much responsibility is placed on these guys as you never really hear about them when things go bad, which maybe implies "not much?" 

I tell you while I love Taylor's heart and effort, he just doesn't have the arm needed to play at this level. I lost count of how many times he had WRs open, threw the ball, and watched it float towards them instead of zipping in stride. That cost Terry at least half a dozen catches today. When is Fitz eligible to come back? 

9 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

I tell you while I love Taylor's heart and effort, he just doesn't have the arm needed to play at this level. I lost count of how many times he had WRs open, threw the ball, and watched it float towards them instead of zipping in stride. That cost Terry at least half a dozen catches today. When is Fitz eligible to come back? 

I thought they should’ve brought Kyle Allen in today, and I am a fan of Taylor. 

Washington wins time of possession. Teams have equal numbers of turnovers and total yardage. New Orleans QB plays so badly his HC is yelling at him at times on the sidelines. Yet New Orleans wins going away. This loss is on the defnese.

Thought they might replace Heinicke for his extended inaccuracy streak and what a bad idea that would be. Kyle Allen's no better, likely worse, and then it's QB confusion for the rest of the season.  Winston was inaccurate too but NO didn't think of replacing him.

Lattimore was terrific for NO. McLauren couldn't shed him.

Selections from Ben Standig at The Athletic:

The game was winnable for a confident team capable of fundamental football. Washington is neither right now.

“Thought it was good,” Heinicke said of his 248-yard passing performance, “other than the two picks.” That’s basically where Washington is right now: Things aren’t terrible when you overlook the brutal moments. The problem? Those moments keep coming.

Safety Landon Collins and cornerback William Jackson III can say the Saints got them with a quick snap on Winston’s 72-yard throw to Deonte Harris. But Rivera said a defender should have patrolled the deep middle. Collins ran back to chase a wide receiver with sub-4.4-second speed in the 40-yard dash far too late.

For the Hail Mary, Washington believed the Saints would try a short pass with eight seconds remaining and the ball at midfield. Nope. Coach Sean Payton passed on the field goal for a deep strike. Wide receiver Marquez Callaway jumped for the jump ball. Washington’s defenders inexplicably did not.

“When the ball was in the air … we just weren’t prepared for that one,” Collins said. “That wasn’t what we were expecting.”

They need to get Landon Collins off the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcgangstas said:

Still hard to imagine that the WFT paid $84 million for an inside-the-box strong safety that is a liability in coverage.   

More hard to imagine that Del Rio hasn't adjusted to put someone else back there and found a different use for Collins (or the bench).   He is basically saying nobody on the team , nor available in the entire world , can cover the deep middle better than Collins.  I'm pretty sure any random DB could more to safety and be better than Collins.

Del Rio is having the same issues that ran him out of DEN.  It's not that he's a bad overall coach.  But he has limited ability to adjust his scheme or personnel game to game, and far less during the game.

And Rivera while excellent from a culture and personality perspective has so much loyalty to "his guys"  that he can't look beyond his own team and CAR to find players.  I don't know the exact numbers, but a lot of the players he's picked up in FA or brought in have been CAR guys.  Heinicke, Allen, Samuels, and Bostic most noticeable.  

• Like 2

According to J P Finlay, Rivera is not planning on making any adjustments at all to the defense.

28 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Del Rio is having the same issues that ran him out of DEN.  It's not that he's a bad overall coach.  But he has limited ability to adjust his scheme or personnel game to game, and far less during the game.

Personally, I think it's just stubbornness on his part, an idea that changing what he does would show weakness. It's hurting the team.

• Like 1

That old Definition of insanity saying applies here. 

If Collins is a liability then get him off the field or figure out how to use him better like the Giants did. It's already a lost cause in terms of the money given to him so figure it out JDR. Curl produced much better results when replacing him last year. He shouldn't be starting based on name/contract. 

And someone tell Chase Young to call his Bosa buddies from OSU to learn new pass rushing moves. Specifically Joey. His hand techniques could help Chase 

• Like 2

NFLPA is asking for the other 650,000 non-Gruden emails be released.  John Keim reporting NFL won't reopen investigation of WFT, but if the poop hits the fan on Snyder like it did Gruden, he gone.

• Like 1

That investigation was so fixed and the NFL so terrified that there would be overwhelming public demand for the written report to be released that the came up with the bold strategy of... not even writing one. That’s right, there was literally no written report of the investigation. 

They reviewed 650K emails including the Gruden bombshells, but no report was written. Seems legit.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, facook said:

NFLPA is asking for the other 650,000 non-Gruden emails be released.  John Keim reporting NFL won't reopen investigation of WFT, but if the poop hits the fan on Snyder like it did Gruden, he gone.

Snyder turned over his supposedly independent investigation of his team to the NFL to keep the results shut up, and it worked. Until now. Since Gruden's emails were discovered only during investigation of Bruce Allen, I'd say the next trove of emails releaseed or leaked will be those from/to Bruce Allen, who's a total #### by the way.

I can't see any way they get to Snyder, though.

10 hours ago, fatness said:

Snyder turned over his supposedly independent investigation of his team to the NFL to keep the results shut up, and it worked. Until now. Since Gruden's emails were discovered only during investigation of Bruce Allen, I'd say the next trove of emails releaseed or leaked will be those from/to Bruce Allen, who's a total #### by the way.

And here we are, 5 weeks into a promising season and already wallowing in ####.

The constant is that owner.  Until he sells, every season you will wallow in it.

And here we are, 5 weeks into a promising season and already wallowing in ####.

In fairness, they've been wallowing in #### for 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fatness said:

Dammit.  Find his emails!!!

""Veteran cornerback Corn Elder has been signed to the Washington Football team active roster off the Panthers practice squad. Also on Wednesday: Washington moved to the Reserve/Injured List cornerback Darryl Roberts, released from the practice squad kicker Chris Blewitt and signed to the practice squad safety Cole Luke.""

That;'s awesome.  Two more failed and ####ty Carolina Panthers have been signed.  99.2% of the WFT roster has homes in Charlotte, NC. 

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Veteran cornerback Corn Elder has been signed to the Washington Football team active roster off the Panthers practice squad.

That has to be a fictional name.

Corn Elder. Pumpkin Young'un. Peaches Prime.

• Like 1

During the Washington Football Team's October 17th matchup against the Kansas City Chiefs, the team will honor nearly 100 alumni at FedExField, while also paying a special tribute to Washington alumnus and football legend, Sean Taylor. Taylor's family will join the team on-field for a pre-game ceremony in which Taylor's contributions to the team will be remembered alongside the retirement of his jersey number, 21. This will mark only the third time in the team's 89-year history that a jersey number will be officially retired.

The team also will formally commemorate the renaming of the road leading to FedExField as Sean Taylor Road with family and friends of Taylor before the game.

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/washington-retire-sean-taylor-number

On 10/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, tangfoot said:

In fairness, they've been wallowing in #### for 20 years.

One could argue longer.  Like 30 years.   They were terrible the last few years of JKC.  I believe 36-59 from 1993 until Snyder took over.  One could argue this team was the best in the last 30 years in the first few years of Snyder/Cerrato, and that is truly sad.

8 hours ago, dgreen said:

I can’t believe KC struggled to win this. WFT is really bad. 

Yes, they are. And this is just the beginning of the tough part of the schedule. This is the point in the season where things could start coming apart. Not "will come apart", but "could come apart", because of such predictable repetitive losses.  Criticism of Rivera is going to get audible this week.

"Someone has a hold of the 650,000 emails gathered in the NFL’s investigation of workplace misconduct in the Washington Football Team’s front office. And drip by drip, damning emails are coming out."

Jeffrey Pash, the NFL’s executive VP of labor/league counsel, should be canned for the cozy relationship he shared with Allen in their leaked email exchanges, reported by the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

Pash even allegedly wrote an email to Allen, after the Washington president shared an audio file of a team song aimed at attracting Latino fans, that read: “I am not sure this song will be as popular after the wall gets built.”

So much for not mixing politics and football, something that got quarterback Colin Kaepernick blackballed from the league.

• Like 1

Gibson had an MRI yesterday.  Usually he and the team get the results the same day and they're announced in some way on Tuesday. There was no announcement today, so I'm thinking that means he's getting a second opinion. 

BTW did anyone else think Heinicke's play seemed pretty restrained, or held back for some reason last Sunday?    

57 minutes ago, fatness said:

Gibson had an MRI yesterday.  Usually he and the team get the results the same day and they're announced in some way on Tuesday. There was no announcement today, so I'm thinking that means he's getting a second opinion. 

BTW did anyone else think Heinicke's play seemed pretty restrained, or held back for some reason last Sunday?    

No news on Gibson is pretty foreboding. I’m kind of expecting the worst at this point. They really just need to put him on IR and shut him down. Let him get healthy. This garbage team isn’t winning anything this year anyway. Let’s see what we have in Patterson. 

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

No news on Gibson is pretty foreboding. I’m kind of expecting the worst at this point. They really just need to put him on IR and shut him down. Let him get healthy. This garbage team isn’t winning anything this year anyway. Let’s see what we have in Patterson.

That, and see exactly how far McKissick can get us.

The team brains are in love with "multi-positional" players, but Samuel may never play a whole game, they never throw to Gibson who used to be a WR,  and McKissick's usage has varied wildly. Give him a bunch of games to see what he can do when used regularly instead of sporadically. 

• Like 1

Hopkins cut.

Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic at this point but this was long overdue.

I’ll never understand why Ron treated him with such kid gloves when it’s been clear for a while we are least needed to bring in some competition for him. For a guy who talked a big game about competition, that oddly never applied to Hopkins.

1 hour ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Hopkins cut.

I’ll never understand why Ron treated him with such kid gloves when it’s been clear for a while we are least needed to bring in some competition for him. For a guy who talked a big game about competition, that oddly never applied to Hopkins.

From Rotoworld: 

Washington released K Dustin Hopkins and signed K Chris Blewitt.

Hopkins had been Washington's kicker since 2015, making 84% of his field goal attempts. Coming off a down year in 2020, Washington decided to move on from the 31 year old, following a week when Hopkins missed a 42 yard attempt against the Chiefs. Blewitt made 70% of his career field goal attempts in a four year career at Pittsburgh. He has yet to log a professionaLattempt, but that will likely change against the Packers in Week 7.

LOL;   only the WFT would sign a kicker with the last name Blewitt.  You just can't make this stuff up.   

• Like 3
  • Laughing 3

This whole season shows why you draft a QB every year until you get the right one (or get a free agent top 10 QB).  Draft a QB even if they end up being a bust.  Cause you can draft another the next year.  Then another one.  And on and on until it hits the jackpot. 

Heinicke is a nice story.  Fitz may have worked out for a bit.  But they are 1-2 year solutions.  An NFL franchise is completely dependent on having a stud QB.  Completely.  A DE is a nice to have.  A stout DL is a nice to have.  A WR is a nice to have.  A stud TE is a nice to have.  None matter if the QB isn't franchise level. 

Look at the last 6 WAS picks, the ones from the time you know RG III's injury was gonna make him useless.  Doctson, Jon Allen, Payne, Haskins, Young, Jamin Davis.   Granted you had Cousins for 2 of those years ... so what, you draft a franchise QB if Cousins's won't sign long term.  It's not a franchise QB if the guy isn't signed.

Not one of those drafted players is worth what a long term QB solution is.  None.  So you pick QB after QB and play them sooner than later.  And when you get it wrong like Haskins, you draft another one.  And you should be in position to get a good one in the draft because without a stop gap QB, you are likely drafting top 8.  WAS has picked middle of the round except when they took Young.  And Justin Hebert was out there for that.  You hit that right ... game over.  Hebert is starting for 10+ years.  You get it wrong (Tua), and you draft the highest rated QB the next year.

Every position is fillable in free agency.  OL, DL, LB, WR, TE.  And while free agent QBs like Brady, Stafford, etc come along every so often... they do not pick the Washington's of the league to come to.  They go where they want and where they can win right away.  So you have to use the draft.

I've done this before .... DRAFT A QB.  DRAFT A QB.  DRAFT A QB

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

This whole season shows why you draft a QB every year until you get the right one (or get a free agent top 10 QB).  Draft a QB even if they end up being a bust.  Cause you can draft another the next year.  Then another one.  And on and on until it hits the jackpot. 

Heinicke is a nice story.  Fitz may have worked out for a bit.  But they are 1-2 year solutions.  An NFL franchise is completely dependent on having a stud QB.  Completely.  A DE is a nice to have.  A stout DL is a nice to have.  A WR is a nice to have.  A stud TE is a nice to have.  None matter if the QB isn't franchise level. 

Look at the last 6 WAS picks, the ones from the time you know RG III's injury was gonna make him useless.  Doctson, Jon Allen, Payne, Haskins, Young, Jamin Davis.   Granted you had Cousins for 2 of those years ... so what, you draft a franchise QB if Cousins's won't sign long term.  It's not a franchise QB if the guy isn't signed.

Not one of those drafted players is worth what a long term QB solution is.  None.  So you pick QB after QB and play them sooner than later.  And when you get it wrong like Haskins, you draft another one.  And you should be in position to get a good one in the draft because without a stop gap QB, you are likely drafting top 8.  WAS has picked middle of the round except when they took Young.  And Justin Hebert was out there for that.  You hit that right ... game over.  Hebert is starting for 10+ years.  You get it wrong (Tua), and you draft the highest rated QB the next year.

Every position is fillable in free agency.  OL, DL, LB, WR, TE.  And while free agent QBs like Brady, Stafford, etc come along every so often... they do not pick the Washington's of the league to come to.  They go where they want and where they can win right away.  So you have to use the draft.

I've done this before .... DRAFT A QB.  DRAFT A QB.  DRAFT A QB

Great post. In retrospect Herbert definitely should have been the pick over Chase, but that’s one of the few draft decisions I can’t rip the front office for since few people were right on Herbert and Chase was a consensus pick. But the other picks, totally agree.
The problem this year is we find ourselves in what appears to be a particularly weak draft class for QBs. Rattler’s stock has completely crumbled. At this point it is looking like the kid from Liberty and who else?

37 minutes ago, dcgangstas said:

LOL;   only the WFT would sign a kicker with the last name Blewitt.  You just can't make this stuff up. 

LOL.

I'm sure he's just what we need to put us over the top vs. Green Bay.

Hopkins cut.

Not saying Hopkins is a stud kicker, but the timing here is suspect IMO.  Hopkins was 14-16 for the year on FGs, tied for 11th in the league in FG %.  OK, so maybe he was a bit erratic at times.  BUT...it's not like he is the reason the WFT is losing.  The reason we are losing is because our defense has disappointed and our offense has regressed.  But instead of holding guys like Landon Collins or WIlliam Jackson III accountable by totally benching them, we have a "public hanging" of Dustin Hopkins to prove that "we hold players accountable."  The problem is, Hopkins has not been SO horrible this year so as to replace him with a untested kicker who only made 70% FGs as a college kicker at Pitt.  It's all very suspect to me and I just think it's a public hanging of the sacrificial lamb to get other people's attention, which sucks and is a clear sign of weak, ineffective leadership from the coaching staff.  HOLD THE RIGHT GUYS ACCOUNTABLE.  If this is the last "accountability move", it's gonna be exposed as a weak, ineffectual ploy.

It's like the timing of the Sean Taylor event.  They did a last minute, disrespectful send off, for the purpose of changing the narrative away from Bruce's emails.  I know that's speculation but look at the track record of this team.

Even when we do the "right thing" the motivations, timing, and execution are highly suspect.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fatness said:

Rivera did.

“He got a little cautious,” head coach Ron Rivera told NBC Sports Washington’s JP Finlay on Monday. “Some of [the Chiefs’] players are real smart, savvy ballhawks and some of that got into his mind a little bit as he was going through his progressions as opposed to just pulling the trigger and doing what he does natural. So I think he got a little cautious, I really do. Trying to be too perfect, not make mistakes.

23 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

But instead of holding guys like Landon Collins or WIlliam Jackson III accountable by totally benching them, we have a "public hanging" of Dustin Hopkins to prove that "we hold players accountable." 

It's almost certainly and accountability move. Whether it's for show for the fams, or something to get the locker room on their toes, remains to be seen.

I think if there are more accountability moves on offense or defense they'll be benchings and not cuts. Jackson and Collins are my guess as the most likely targets.

BTW I've never though Holcomb as that good. He's always looked fast, out of position, and easy to block But last Sunday I thought he head a very good game

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

Not saying Hopkins is a stud kicker, but the timing here is suspect IMO.  Hopkins was 14-16 for the year on FGs, tied for 11th in the league in FG %.  OK, so maybe he was a bit erratic at times.  BUT...it's not like he is the reason the WFT is losing.  The reason we are losing is because our defense has disappointed and our offense has regressed.  But instead of holding guys like Landon Collins or WIlliam Jackson III accountable by totally benching them, we have a "public hanging" of Dustin Hopkins to prove that "we hold players accountable."  The problem is, Hopkins has not been SO horrible this year so as to replace him with a untested kicker who only made 70% FGs as a college kicker at Pitt.  It's all very suspect to me and I just think it's a public hanging of the sacrificial lamb to get other people's attention, which sucks and is a clear sign of weak, ineffective leadership from the coaching staff.  HOLD THE RIGHT GUYS ACCOUNTABLE.  If this is the last "accountability move", it's gonna be exposed as a weak, ineffectual ploy.

It's like the timing of the Sean Taylor event.  They did a last minute, disrespectful send off, for the purpose of changing the narrative away from Bruce's emails.  I know that's speculation but look at the track record of this team.

Even when we do the "right thing" the motivations, timing, and execution are highly suspect.

Don’t disagree that Hopkins got made an example of here, and of course more fitting players should have been cut/benched (Collins) or better yet fired (Del Rio). And yes, it is another sign of weak leadership for a guy who leadership is supposed to be what he is known for (Ron).

All that being said, Hopkins has been beyond shaky for the better part of two seasons now, and the fact that this team did nothing to address it up until now is indicative of their ineptitude. He consistently misses kicks in big spots, and his ability to kick beyond beyond 50 yards (basically a requirement in today’s game) was severely lacking. It was basically not an option and became a factor in playcalling. He had a rather disastrous preseason and should have been on an extremely short leash. Is he the reason we are losing? No, but he wasn’t helping us win either. 

• Like 1

Great post. In retrospect Herbert definitely should have been the pick over Chase, but that’s one of the few draft decisions I can’t rip the front office for since few people were right on Herbert and Chase was a consensus pick. But the other picks, totally agree.
The problem this year is we find ourselves in what appears to be a particularly weak draft class for QBs. Rattler’s stock has completely crumbled. At this point it is looking like the kid from Liberty and who else?

While it is a weak year, my point is it doesn't matter.  Pick whatever QB you think it best.  I don't think you give up three 1st to go get them as we have done in the past.  Because nobody knows which QB is the correct pick so why give up picks to get them.  You have guys like Wilson, Brady, Prescott that went late.  And guys like Darnold, Rosen, Trubisky that went early and aren't the deal. 

I think teams that don't have the top 15 QBs need to scout as best you can, and draft that QB.  Heck, maybe two of them.  I mean, WAS had it's best QB recent play from a 4th round pick in the year that they gave up picks to draft RG3.  Now I loved Cousins, but it didn't work out and maybe he's not the guy that could have put them over the top.  But if you had picked Wilson in that same draft in round 3.  $$$

I honestly don't think the scouts know who is gonna be good.  So draft QB over and over until it's fixed

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 2