Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Football Team Thread

dgreen

2 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

There is a rumor floating around about a three way trade that deals tua to the WFT.  I pray thats not the case.  I havent seen any of our beat writers say this either so im doubtful but.....

Yeah, this would be a typically bad move by WFT. They did the smart thing passing on Tua the first time around. Giving up significant draft capital for a guy that injury prone who was damaged goods coming out of college would be a mistake. Although it would be hilarious to see him back on the same team as Fitz again.

1 minute ago, PinkydaPimp said:

There is a rumor floating around about a three way trade that deals tua to the WFT.  I pray thats not the case.  I havent seen any of our beat writers say this either so im doubtful but.....

Tua had a good game vs JAX.  Per analytics he got rid of the ball quickly, evaded about 20 QB pressures, scrambled for some 1st downs, and completed a few 20+ yard passes. He also made 1 terrible throw. Granted, it was JAX, but OTOH it was behind a bad oline. His upside might be Brees-like with some scrambling ability. And injury history.

39 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Why? He's a hell of a lot better than Heinicke, and has long term upside unlike Fitz. Its a pretty weak draft class at QB next year, and Washington is highly unlikely to have a top-5 pick. 

4 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

What are we supposedly giving up in order to get Tua?  

JP Finlay @JPFinlay NBCS · 15h

Got a hard “no” when I checked on Washington’s interest in Tua. “It’s all bs”

JP Finlay @JPFinlay NBCS · 15h

This isn’t posturing. Washington not interested in Tua. But I also know they don’t love any of the 2022 QB draft prospects and Washington will look high and low for QB.

Edited by fatness

They should be interested in any QB under 25 years old that could start 5+ years.  So dumb not to go after Sam Darnold this past year. He may even suck but it was a shot worth taking. I look at Tua the same way although I don’t think he’s even as good as Darnold. Keep Taylor. Get Tua. May be a change of scenery does him good.  Draft another quarterback.  Let them fight it out in camp. This season is done and the free agent quarterbacks are terrible. you have to do something And riverboat Ron refuses to gamble on the most important position on the team

2 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

So dumb not to go after Sam Darnold this past year.

Is Darnold demonstrably better than Heinicke?  He's certainly a #### ton more expensive.

• Like 2

There's no old Albert Haynesworth thread and I'm not going to start one, but this is interesting and pretty scary: https://theathletic.com/2876615/2021/10/19/how-albert-haynesworth-an-nfl-pariah-with-the-titans-and-a-free-agent-bust-in-washington-got-a-second-chance-at-life/

Three-year-old Ayden Haynesworth was shy about playing T-ball, so his father, Albert Haynesworth III, told him he would run around the bases with him after he hit the ball. Dad made it a little past first base when he had to stop because he was so winded. He put his hands on his knees and gasped for air.

Just a few years removed from playing defensive tackle in the NFL, Haynesworth knew something was wrong. He was abnormally tired and cold all the time. Tests revealed his kidneys were functioning at less than 50 percent.

Then in July 2019, Haynesworth started coughing uncontrollably. His stomach swelled. With a blood oxygen level in the 80s, he was lightheaded.

“I couldn’t breathe,” he says. “I couldn’t lay down. I felt like I was drowning lying in a bed. I had to sit up in bed, tried to sleep that way. I couldn’t catch my breath. I drove myself to the hospital. My kidneys were shutting down.”

After 12 pounds of fluid were drained from around his lungs, Haynesworth posted a photo and a plea on Instagram.

“He wouldn’t have survived if he didn’t get an organ he needed,” says his friend and former teammate Keith Bulluck.

But why would anyone give a kidney to Haynesworth? He mostly was known for “the stomp,” when he drove his cleats into the forehead of Cowboys center Andre Gurode, opening a gash that required 30 stitches, drawing a five-game suspension. Haynesworth also was known for becoming the highest-paid defensive player in history as a free agent with Washington in 2009, and for the career crash and burn that followed.

It took nerve to ask for somebody’s organ.

“It was very difficult to do,” Haynesworth says. “Mostly, I thought people thought negative of me, always going back to the Dallas thing, the Washington stuff.  My doctor said, ‘You are a celebrity, famous person. You should go out and ask the public.’ So I did the post.”

It's a long article behind a paywall but he did find a kidney donor, got the transplant, and is doing well.

I forgot the funny part.

Shortly before Haynesworth received Penny’s gift, a nurse asked Haynesworth what he was looking forward to after the surgery.

“A good, long pee,” he said.

With reduced kidney function, Haynesworth had not been urinating very much for about a month and a half before the surgery. Once his post-surgical catheter was removed, everything changed.

“I had a good minute-and-a-half pee,” he says. “They have you measure it. They were like, ‘Oh my gosh, it was 4,000 milliliters in one night.’ They said it’s working well. And it is.”

21 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Seems like nothing more than some typical Congressional grandstanding by those hypocrites in Congress, but if it at all increases the chances of Danny getting fired into the sun I’m all for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Good. It's going to take a lot of pressure to get the NFL to release those 650k emails, many of which have to do with awful workplace conduct which is exactly what the team/league were investigating.

It also led to renewed calls for the NFL to release the findings of an independent investigation, led by attorney Beth Wilkinson, into Washington's workplace.

There was no written report after the nearly year-long investigation, and the league has not released all the findings. According to an NFL spokesman, the league is not going to re-open the investigation or release the 650,000 emails it collected.

"We have serious concerns about what appears to be widespread abusive workplace conduct at the WFT and about the NFL's handling of this matter. Communications between league management and WFT leadership also raises questions about the leagues asserted impartiality in these investigations."

Greetings from South Florida, we want to send some of our delicious juice your way. 

We have a new special winter release we call the Orange Tagovalloa blend and we'd like to ship you the whole case and let you enjoy for the upcoming season. That address again is 1600 FedEx Way, Greater Landover? OK we'll get that out to you. 

• Sad 1

Can we keep it under 30 tomorrow? I have a feeling this is going to be a bloodbath. The game is on here but it is up against the Titans-Chiefs, so easy call on which game I'll be watching. We rarely see the WFT here as obviously Dallas is the local team and they never show any other game while they are on, even on the other networks. But this is just another season where I can't get motivated to watch this team under-perform.

Another good first half and then nothing. Nothing. They won time-of-possession, gained more yards, yet the offense shot itself in the foot time and time again to take away any hope of a win. They're a bad team. I watched a good bit of the Rams-Lions game and the Lions, while not as talented as Washington, play harder and would have beaten us yesterday. Top 5 draft pick here we come.

I did like the defense playing a lot more man-to-man coverage, even though it meant Danny Johnson got picked on. If they had played their usual zone Green Bay would have scored in the 30's.

Defense played a little better, but not too many positives to take away from that game. If the D plays next week like they did yesterday, I could see them winning vs DEN in a close one.

At this point though the only reason I still watch this team is out of loyalty and habit. My disgust of how this team is run and the constant disappointment while watching is finally starting to take over. 

Next week I think I will just watch redzone rather than subjecting myself to another sunday of frustration. 

Feel like GB hardly tried. Like we saw one of the worst games they could play yet we still had no chance.   I appreciate that Ron has brought some stability and work ethic to the football side of things.  But I don’t think his schemes are getting much our of the Defense.   And they simply don’t have enough offensive talent to put up points.  But gotta get a qb.  If Rodgers. Stafford, etc is on WAS I bet the offense works just fine.

ETA:  I heard Ron this AM on the junkies.  It was pretty obvious he knows they need a QB and said he gets a report on college QBs each week.  I guess my question would be, you could have gotten Hebert, Tua, Love or Hurts in 2020.  You could have gotten later players last year like Trask, Mond, or Mills.  I'm not saying any of them (even Hebert) would have worked out in WAS.  But how do you not pick one if you are rolling out Fitz/Heinicke.  Don't you trust that you can pick the best one and give them a look?  

The FA pool is brutally bad, so here's a list of the top 2022 QB prospects on most boards.  I've seen them all but no idea which is best yet.  But Ron better be spending more time on this than coaching the team to a meaningless 4-13 record.

• Matt Corral, Ole Miss. 
  • Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma. ... um, he's still up there but I'm not sure why
  • Carson Strong, Nevada. ...
  • Sam Howell, North Carolina. ...
  • Malik Willis, Liberty. ...
  • Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati. ...
  • Kedon Slovis, USC.
Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 1

Dan Snyder is simply an awful human being.   And that will never change.   never. 

I think it's pretty clear that Snyder's punishment for the debacle that Goodell is refusing to release info on was to make him put Tonya as co-CEO.  And unless there were other penalties under the table, it's super weak.  Plus the only public fallout is a Gruden email which smacks of a leak from Snyder himself.   The other owners are clearly scared of what the guy would do if they forced him to sell the team or went public with the entire story.  I hope they all get bit in the @$$.

As I posted in the game thread yesterday, I'm in full tank season mode. We will never have a shot at a SB without an elite QB. Might as well tank and get the best QB in the draft possible (or other impact player if there is absolutely no one worth taking) 

I'm all for taking the highest ranked QB with whatever pick we have.  And I don;'t think this is all on Heinicke.  He's actually been very good for what he is - a backup.  But we have to take some chances on guys that can win championships rather than just get us through the year.

Problem is I'm not sure there is an elite QB in the draft.  I watched some of the higher projected picks the last few weeks and I don't really see elite.   I see good in Corral and Willis.  Pickett is probably a better fit from an NFL size perspective.  Maybe that will change.  Frankly the best QB might not be playing, and that's Phil Jurkovec. 

Heck, I might take Willis in round 1 and Jurkovec in round 2.  Let them fight it out.  I think we can fix the glaring LB issue and other needs n free agency.  Especially if you are on a rookie contract with your QBs, + a backup leverl cpontract w Heinicke.  That leaves a lot of money to spend elsewhere.  I beleive they can get out of the Landon Collins deal this summer too.  Maybe they can get Tommy Sheppard to run a football team too.

Edited by Brunell4MVP

Should we consider Taylor Heinicke a rookie QB who is still learning how to play in the NFL, or is he closer to a finished product because he is 28 years old?

It is clear he is still learning a lot.  He obviously does not have the pedigree that the high draft picks have, but he is also clearly better than most undrafted QBs.  Some of the poor plays are more tolerable in a rookie QB if he has a lot of upside.

The problem is Taylor doesn't have the arm needed in today's NFL. Defensive players are getting bigger and faster. Those open windows get closed quick and quicker. The QBs that do so well in today's game, Josh Allen, Mahomes, Murray, Rodgers, Lamar,  they all RIP the ball through the air. Taylor lofts the balls in the air. That's why game after you game you see secondary players knocking the balls away. Yes you have to be accurate, yes it helps to be mobile (which Taylor is) but if you can't zip it in there quickly, its just not going to work in today's NFL IMO. 

3 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

The problem is Taylor doesn't have the arm needed in today's NFL. Defensive players are getting bigger and faster. Those open windows get closed quick and quicker. The QBs that do so well in today's game, Josh Allen, Mahomes, Murray, Rodgers, Lamar,  they all RIP the ball through the air. Taylor lofts the balls in the air. That's why game after you game you see secondary players knocking the balls away. Yes you have to be accurate, yes it helps to be mobile (which Taylor is) but if you can't zip it in there quickly, its just not going to work in today's NFL IMO. 

Agree with this.  He's mobile and has talent.  But the arm strength isn't there to get the ball into tight windows or throw certain passes.   This is straight from the negatives from his draft profile in 2015 ...

"Heinicke lacks arm strength and, while his mechanics allow him to generate strong throws, he also operates best from a clean pocket. When in traffic or with defenders at his feet, he cannot use his mechanics to generate strength in his throws. At those times, his passes lack zip and the timing of throws and routes is off.  Additionally, bodies around him can affect his accuracy. Several times in the Vanderbilt game Heinicke missed throws because of traffic in the pocket. He needs to demonstrate to NFL scouts and coaches that he can make strong, accurate throws in the face of incoming rushers."

I think this holds true.  They compared him to Colt McCoy way back in 2015, which is also accurate.  From a clean pocket or when moved into space they were pretty good.  But neither is big and strong enough to handle the pressure at their feet, which is why they were off target and forced to scramble so much.

Taylor is a good backup with a lot of heart and moxie.  The arm just isn't there 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure how long Rivera can go on saying the culture needs to change in order for the team to get better. The culture problems are in the front office; if he's saying there are culture problems among the players who are there at his discretion then he's saying he has the wrong players or isn't coaching them right.

Everyone knows this team has had a toxic culture and perhaps always will, but that's off to the side of play on the field. They are 2 different things.

3 hours ago, fatness said:

I'm not sure how long Rivera can go on saying the culture needs to change in order for the team to get better. The culture problems are in the front office; if he's saying there are culture problems among the players who are there at his discretion then he's saying he has the wrong players or isn't coaching them right.

Everyone knows this team has had a toxic culture and perhaps always will, but that's off to the side of play on the field. They are 2 different things.

As much as we all dislike Snyder, he's too busy making other mistakes to be screwing up the on-field stuff. 

Ron is the one making a mess of the on-field.  He has too much trust in coaches and players he's worked with.  He's also stubborn.  I get it.  If any one of us started a company, we're bringing in friends to help with sales, accounting, whatever.  But we aren't bringing in friends that failed at their previous jobs.  Jon Bostic, Curtis Samuels, and Kyle Allen are perfect examples.  One is aged and slow.  The other is hurt all the time.  The other got hurt and was mediocre at best (but possibly their best QB the last 2 seasons).   And he's the final decision maker on the trades/FA signings.  So Mayhew might as well be sitting at home cutting his toenails.

Ron needs to get out of the personnel side of it.  It's a nice theory to have a HC do both, but it relies on them being awesome at two things.  He simply hasn't proven he is.  Or that he is good at either for that matter.

They should be brining in any QB that is better than Taylor.  Any.  If that's Turdbisky, so be it.  It was Darnold over the offseason.  It certainly wasn't a old guy for 1 year, though they would have been better with Fitz.  But bring in anyone that has any chance of being this teams QB for 3-5 years, and cut them if they don't work out.  But stop relying on guys that CAR doesn't even want