What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (12 Viewers)

fatness said:
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora

Skins will be in on Dontari Poe, a top target. Also in the safety market, with Barry Church, a target for JAX as well, in their sights
Church will sign with Jacksonville.

Nobody likes us.

Rodney Dangerfield Headline: Scot McCloughan’s role dwindling; Redskins targets heading elsewhere

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Jaguars are expected to land Cowboys safety Barry Church, a defensive addition the Redskins had been eyeing.
Marquise Goodwin, a possible target, bound for 49ers
Reports indicate Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garcon will be heading to the San Francisco 49ers on a heavily front-loaded contract.
Along with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys also have inquired about wide receiver DeSean Jackson, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, it’s expected that the Redskins and Jackson will part ways, multiple people with knowledge of the situation have indicated.
The Redskins want to bring defensive lineman Chris Baker, but he could be out of their price range as other suitors are expected to make a run at him this week.
I really don't understand why they consider Baker too expensive to keep. There are never numbers attached, just "too expensive to keep" talk which I assume comes from the Redskin FO. Sure, let your best lineman go while you're rebuilding your defensive line.

Who's the last GM the Skins got rid of who had a winning record BTW?

While many fans are getting frustrated over the status of Kirk Cousins’ contract, saying and tweeting that they need to “pay the man”, there is a key component to the equation that is missing. Kirk Cousins has to want to take the money and it appears that the Redskins have doubts that he will take it.

On NFL Network, NFL Media reporter Sam Wyche talked about what he was told by some who work at Redskins Park. “Everything I’m hearing from the folks in that building is that 'Cousins has made it clear he does not want to be there,'" said Wyche. “He wants to get to San Francisco and play for Kyle Shanahan.
Oops, Hoyer.

These sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the delicacy of the situation, said McCloughan has grown increasingly frustrated by ongoing friction with Allen over personnel decisions and with the team’s failure to come to his defense when former tight end Chris Cooley said on the Redskins-owned radio station that McCloughan’s drinking may explain his absence.

The atmosphere reached a boiling point late last month, three individuals said, and McCloughan left Redskins Park for three days in the week leading up to the scouting combine, which ended Sunday. Eventually, the decision was made that McCloughan would not attend the combine. His scouting staff didn’t learn of that development until boarding the plane to Indianapolis.
Already this offseason McCloughan played no role in the decision to use of the franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins, nor the contract extension of Coach Jay Gruden. The latter agreement was struck while McCloughan remained absent from the combine, the most significant offseason gathering for the league’s front-office executives to evaluate the top 300-plus college prospects in advance of the NFL draft, scheduled for April 27-29.

As the Redskins began to make roster moves this week during the league’s free agent negotiating window, McCloughan again sat out decisions to re-sign tight end Vernon Davis — although he was high on the 11th-year veteran — and to tender restricted free agents Chris Thompson and Will Compton. The absent general manager also watched one of his favorite players depart, as the Redskins declined to retain wide receiver Pierre Garcon, who on Wednesday neared an agreement with the San Francisco 49ers.
And it’s expected that whether Allen opts for an internal or external hire, he will still remain heavily involved in personnel decisions, just as he did with McCloughan.

That involvement was one of the contributing factors to the deterioration of McCloughan and Allen’s relationship.
At his introductory news conference, McCloughan was said to have received total authority over the roster. McCloughan did not receive full authority when it came to front-office hires, however, and the Redskins didn’t let him bring any of his former associates with him. Instead, McCloughan inherited Washington’s previous scouting staff.

It turned out McCloughan, who signed a four-year contract, didn’t actually have full control of the roster either. He at times had his personnel decisions overruled by Allen, who sometimes pursued his own preferences and other times sided with Gruden.

When it came time to form the initial 53-man roster for the 2016 season, people familiar with the deliberations said some of the decisions McCloughan lost out on included the calls to keep center Kory Lichtensteiger and linebacker Trent Murphy on the roster, as well as aging nose tackle Kedric Golston over free agent signing Cullen Jenkins. Golston wound up missing the season because of injury, and the Redskins promptly re-signed Jenkins.

When it came to backup wide receivers, McCloughan also preferred speedy wide receiver Rashad Ross to coaching staff favorite Ryan Grant. Although Gruden and McCloughan clashed over the two, McCloughan deferred to the coach, and Ross spent much of the year behind Grant before getting cut late in the year.

McCloughan was said to have come under further scrutiny from Allen once wide receiver Josh Doctson – selected in the the first round of the 2016 draft despite more pressing needs on defense – was placed on injured reserve midway through the season, having missed all of training camp and preseason while playing in just two regular season games because of perplexing Achilles’ tendon injuries.

Exacerbating the Doctson decision was the fact Washington’s defense struggled mightily, ranking near the bottom of the league in many key statistical categories. Those woes cost the team several close games, and Washington missed the playoffs by just one game.

The handling of Cousins and his contract also represented an area of disagreement. McCloughan had told people around the league that if he had full control, the Redskins would have signed the quarterback to a multiyear contract in 2016, avoiding the use of two straight franchise tags with long-term resolution. That angered Allen, who in turn started blaming his general manager in league circles for all of the negative media leaks about Cousins. Allen publicly has taken an “all in” approach on the quarterback. But sources say he is still hesitant to give the quarterback a lucrative multi-year deal.

Added to the article:

Allen also disapproved of McCloughan’s hands-on approach with players. At one point late in the year, a frustrated defensive back left practice with the session in progress and retreated to the locker room. McCloughan went to retrieve him, telling the player to come to his office so they could talk. Allen, according to two people, later reprimanded McClouhghan, cursing at him and telling him never to go in the locker room again.

I think there is some hope. Snyder had made big moves to bring fans back in on a few occasions. 

Snyder goes a little crazy and fires Norv while still in control of a playoff spot. Makes everything better by bringing in Marty. 

After Spurrier quits, things seem dark. He lands Gibbs. 

Gibbs is gone, Zorn is failing, and fans hate Cerrato. Certainly a dark moment. Vinny is fired and replaced by Allen who hires Shanahan.

Shanahan is fired, Gruden is struggling, and everyone says the team needs a real GM and let Bruce do other stuff. In comes Scot.

Now we are at another dark moment and most people assume Dan will stand by Bruce and let Scot go. Certainly possible, but I won't be shocked if he makes another move to reel the fans back in.

Dan knows how to win us back when things are falling apart.

I think there is some hope. Snyder had made big moves to bring fans back in on a few occasions. 

Snyder goes a little crazy and fires Norv while still in control of a playoff spot. Makes everything better by bringing in Marty. 

After Spurrier quits, things seem dark. He lands Gibbs. 

Gibbs is gone, Zorn is failing, and fans hate Cerrato. Certainly a dark moment. Vinny is fired and replaced by Allen who hires Shanahan.

Shanahan is fired, Gruden is struggling, and everyone says the team needs a real GM and let Bruce do other stuff. In comes Scot.

Now we are at another dark moment and most people assume Dan will stand by Bruce and let Scot go. Certainly possible, but I won't be shocked if he makes another move to reel the fans back in.

Is this dysfunctional?

Grant Paulson put it pretty well this afternoon. Paraphrasing, he wondered how incoming calls from Agents/Players to Redskins Park would begin on this eve of free agency:

Two questions: 1) So, who's the GM around there? 2) So, who's the QB around there?

There are no other incoming calls/conversations to/with any other Front Offices are getting off to that start! None whatsoever!!!

Can you imagine? We're right back to being the laughingstock of the NFL. Name me one Franchise that, right at this moment, is anywhere near as dysfunctional?

What flummoxes me entirely is that I'm not outraged any more. Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football, and I've seen that plot played out so many times, that it's become business as usual, par for the course.

DDSOS: Different Day, Same Old 'Skins.

Grant Paulson put it pretty well this afternoon. Paraphrasing, he wondered how incoming calls from Agents/Players to Redskins Park would begin on this eve of free agency:

Two questions: 1) So, who's the GM around there? 2) So, who's the QB around there?

There are no other incoming calls/conversations to/with any other Front Offices are getting off to that start! None whatsoever!!!

Can you imagine? We're right back to being the laughingstock of the NFL. Name me one Franchise that, right at this moment, is anywhere near as dysfunctional?

What flummoxes me entirely is that I'm not outraged any more. Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football, and I've seen that plot played out so many times, that it's become business as usual, par for the course.

DDSOS: Different Day, Same Old 'Skins.
The skins haven't been active in free agency the last 3 years. 

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 8h8 hours ago

Unless something changes, Sounds as if Chris Baker headed elsewhere. Curious how this develops. Price tag would have to come down for Wash
John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 9h9 hours ago

Skins remain in contact with DeSean Jackson. Strong push? Find out Thur. Price tag high.Tampa Bay remains one to watch. No contact with PG
Giants signed Brandon Marshall, who had been cut.

Then we better get Poe, Jeffrey, and trade Cousins for 2 first rounders quick!! 
Nah. I think most fans aren't seduced with players as much as we used to be. I think we crave organizational leadership. We've been drawn back in by strong leaders and talent in the front office. 
I'm having trouble reconciling these things with what's going on. Front office is in chaos with Allen undermining McCloughan, we're losing significant players, do not appear to be in the running for many significant additions, potential additions don't seem to want to talk to the team. Feels like a 5-6 win season coming up interspersed with anon leaks about "how terrible McCloughan was".

The Redskins’ only chance of persuading Cousins to stay may be for Jay Gruden to do the sales job of his life. While the other decision makers in Ashburn have waffled about supporting Cousins, Gruden has steadfastly been in his corner.

If not for Gruden, Cousins would not be on the verge of getting a contract that will pay him over $100 million. The coach stuck his neck on the line in 2015 when he fought to bench management favorite Robert Griffin III and make Cousins the starter. Gruden stuck by his guy when Cousins struggled early in the year. But he finished the season strong and the Redskins won the NFC East title. He was the perfect fit for Gruden’s offense and he broke every major team passing record.

That season got Cousins on the road to million-dollar paydays. Had Gruden not stuck his neck out for Cousins and if Gruden didn’t have the ideal offense for Cousins’ skill set, the quarterback could well still be struggling to gain a foothold in the NFL.

So if anyone can persuade Cousins to remain with the Redskins, it’s Gruden. And maybe with the dumpster fire spreading in Ashburn, it’s too late already.
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/need-know-gruden-may-have-be-one-persuade-cousins-stay

I will feel a lot better about losing Garcon and DeSean if they bring in Pryor or Jeffrey, but at this point I expect no one to sign here...  :bag:

I had hope when they hired Scot. The Skins are my NFC team, and sadly, I'll have no hope until Bruce is gone.  If you hire a GM, let him GM.

I think we all had hope. Scot is clearly a great football mind, and of course Bruce Allen muzzles him.  :rant:
If all this stuff is true, and they end up canning Scot, losing both WRs, Cousins, Baker and Lord knows who else -- and then can't attract any replacements from Free Agency -- it's going to be really, really hard to watch next year.  I have always been and I will always be a Redskins fan; I don't believe in team hopping.   But, I can decide whether to spend my time and energy on this product.  Already my involvement has dropped -- I watch fewer games than I used to live.  I can see it dropping even more next year.  I've already pretty much stopped consuming football media.  It's all so negative it's just not what I want to do in my free time.  I'm not saying it's inaccurate reporting (though some may be)...what I am saying is I only have so many hours outside of work, and I'm not going to just fill them with garbage and unhappiness.  LOL.  I wonder how many other fans feel this way.  Nothing seems to impact Snyder though.  He'll never sell the team.  And I still blame Snyder more than Allen.  Snyder owns the team and sets the culture.  He writes the checks.  He could rein in Allen if he wanted to but bottom line he doesn't want to, probably because Allen is gonna be a yes man to him (you are right boss...if we had just given RGIII one more year he would have achieved your glorious vision).

Bleh

I had hope when they hired Scot. The Skins are my NFC team, and sadly, I'll have no hope until Bruce is gone.  If you hire a GM, let him GM.
You're not alone.

An online petition “to remove Bruce Allen from power,” launched late Wednesday afternoon, had more than 1,900 signatures by Thursday morning. A Redditor urged fans to bombard the Redskins with phone calls of protest. Some fans began organizing a Friday morning “March on Ashburn.” A popular Redskins blogger posted purported contact information for Allen. By Thursday morning, the Junkies on 106.7 The Fan were brainstorming ideas to tap into this anger, including creating a Bruce Allen piñata and inviting fans to “come down here and beat the hell out of it,” as host Eric Bickel proposed.

“Fill it with lies,” John Auville suggested.

Another host said the station could host a mini-circus inside its studios. Fans, a producer noted, could “get their faces painted with disappointment.”

This all sounds like hyperbole, and maybe it is. But I spent Wednesday night talking to random Redskins fans on the phone. They were almost distraught.

Did anyone hear Mike Jones on ESPN980 this morning? He was on a long time and had a lot to say. Biggest thing was that McCloughan wanted to sign Cousins longterm in 2015 and in 2016 and Allen refused each time. There's probably a podcast of the show; it was between 8 and 9 a.m. today.

“For the first time we were establishing credibility and a clear direction. Now what was once our savior is being driven out of town,” wrote George Carmi in a series of late-night texts. “I have no faith in the front office, I distrust the owner and all of my favorite players are leaving. What do I have left?”
“It’s just absolutely devastating,” said Greg McKillop, a D.C. native who now lives in California. McCloughan “just seemed to bring so much confidence about finding good players, building from the ground, drafting well. All these things, in my lifetime, have been massive cavities, and he was a guy that was going to fill them. And to find all this out, it’s really tough to swallow. I can’t really in good conscience consider supporting the team because, to me, that’s just like supporting Dan Snyder. And I’d rather eat a wine glass.”

Master Tesfatsion‏Verified account @MasterTes 15h15 hours ago

Text from a NFL executive on the #Redskins situation: "This sounds like a total mess. I wonder if any real GM candidates will take the job."

Cousins is now pleading with Dan to trade him. Unfreaking believable.  :rant: :wall: :toilet:
From seeing other tweets, it sounds like Cousins has told the team, give me a long-term deal or trade me. He seems open to a deal, but if the Skins won't cooperate, he wants out. If this idiotic franchise doesn't either 1) come to an agreement on a long-term deal or 2) trade him prior to the draft, then we're ####ed.

From seeing other tweets, it sounds like Cousins has told the team, give me a long-term deal or trade me. He seems open to a deal, but if the Skins won't cooperate, he wants out. If this idiotic franchise doesn't either 1) come to an agreement on a long-term deal or 2) trade him prior to the draft, then we're ####ed.
That
(bolded)

Washington and free-agent defensive lineman Terrell McClain reportedly reached an agreement on Wednesday to a four-year contract for more than $21 million, according to Master Tesfatsion of the Washington Post and Eric Edholm of Yahoo Sports. 

McClain was an unheralded, but important, member of the Dallas Cowboys defense in 2016. The defensive tackle racked up 40 combined tackles, 2.5 sacks and two forced fumbles across 15 starts, his first starts since 2011 with the Carolina Panthers as a rookie.

The 28-year-old South Florida product has established himself as a reliable block-eating, run-stopping interior asset across 62 games. Durability has been a question mark, however, as he's appeared in all 16 contests just once in his career.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696896-terrell-mcclain-redskins-reportedly-agree-on-4-year-contract

Users who are viewing this thread