What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (6 Viewers)

If all this stuff is true, and they end up canning Scot, losing both WRs, Cousins, Baker and Lord knows who else -- and then can't attract any replacements from Free Agency -- it's going to be really, really hard to watch next year.  I have always been and I will always be a Redskins fan; I don't believe in team hopping.   But, I can decide whether to spend my time and energy on this product.
Same. I expected to lose a few key players and probably regress this offseason but I thought it would be a small bump in the road on the path to rebuilding a legitimate team. Losing Scot means I lose hope for the future as well. I won't jump teams either but I'll take a big step back from following the NFL in general. 

Somebody got to the WikiPedia preview for Bruce Allen.  If you Google his name, check the preview on the right for a quick giggle.

I mean we do have to try to find something to laugh at nowadays, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
  I have always been and I will always be a Redskins fan; I don't believe in team hopping.   But, I can decide whether to spend my time and energy on this product.  Already my involvement has dropped -- I watch fewer games than I used to live.  I can see it dropping even more next year.  I've already pretty much stopped consuming football media.  It's all so negative it's just not what I want to do in my free time.  I'm not saying it's inaccurate reporting (though some may be)...what I am saying is I only have so many hours outside of work, and I'm not going to just fill them with garbage and unhappiness.  LOL.  I wonder how many other fans feel this way. 
As a 49er fan, I feel exactly the same way.  When you have some free time to spend talking about football and all you hear is negativity, regardless if true or not, it takes the fun out of it.  As a fan, I want to talk about ways to turn it around, not hear 1000 posts about "the team will suck as long as York owns it".  May be true, but just makes you not want to even get into discussions.

Hope they figure a way to work this out in Washington.  Scot is a good talent evaluator (maybe not the savant some claim, but still very good).  About football 24/7, but seems he can't handle that pressure without vodka.  Too bad.

As a 49er fan, I feel exactly the same way.  When you have some free time to spend talking about football and all you hear is negativity, regardless if true or not, it takes the fun out of it.  As a fan, I want to talk about ways to turn it around, not hear 1000 posts about "the team will suck as long as York owns it".  May be true, but just makes you not want to even get into discussions.

Hope they figure a way to work this out in Washington.  Scot is a good talent evaluator (maybe not the savant some claim, but still very good).  About football 24/7, but seems he can't handle that pressure without vodka.  Too bad.
Thanks for the kind post!  Encouraging words most appreciated...

fatness said:
Did anyone hear Mike Jones on ESPN980 this morning? He was on a long time and had a lot to say. Biggest thing was that McCloughan wanted to sign Cousins longterm in 2015 and in 2016 and Allen refused each time. There's probably a podcast of the show; it was between 8 and 9 a.m. today.
Does that strike anyone else as revisionist history? The "how you like me now" moment didn't leave me with the impression that Cousin's thought Scot was fighting to pay him.

Also, what does that even mean that Scot wanted to lock up Cousins and Allen didn't? Does that mean at any price? Because I'm pretty sure the team offered Kirk a long term deal that was rejected last off season.

It's pretty easy to say that he was willing to pay him before he got really expensive. 

If all this stuff is true, and they end up canning Scot, losing both WRs, Cousins, Baker and Lord knows who else -- and then can't attract any replacements from Free Agency -- it's going to be really, really hard to watch next year.  I have always been and I will always be a Redskins fan; I don't believe in team hopping.   But, I can decide whether to spend my time and energy on this product.  Already my involvement has dropped -- I watch fewer games than I used to live.  I can see it dropping even more next year.  I've already pretty much stopped consuming football media.  It's all so negative it's just not what I want to do in my free time.  I'm not saying it's inaccurate reporting (though some may be)...what I am saying is I only have so many hours outside of work, and I'm not going to just fill them with garbage and unhappiness.  LOL.  I wonder how many other fans feel this way.  Nothing seems to impact Snyder though.  He'll never sell the team.  And I still blame Snyder more than Allen.  Snyder owns the team and sets the culture.  He writes the checks.  He could rein in Allen if he wanted to but bottom line he doesn't want to, probably because Allen is gonna be a yes man to him (you are right boss...if we had just given RGIII one more year he would have achieved your glorious vision).

Bleh
Agree 100% - especially with the bolded parts.  I blame Snyder.  This team took a drastic turn for the worse when Snyder bought it.  It's been nothing but change.  Over and over and over.  I just wish for ONCE, we could go 3-4 years with the same coach, same GM, same system.  I don't even care if we have losing records for the first 2-3 years.  Just some stability.  Instead, we've been in "rebuilding" mode for the last two decades simply because the blueprint changes before the building can be built and lived in.  Every time we get a new coach, we have to build to his scheme.  Every time we get a new GM, we get a different focus.  Players are unhappy, nobody wants to play for us except if it's for the $$$, and then because of that, we overpay.  Sadly, it's all Snyder's fault, but as long as he's selling out FedEx, he's not going to listen to a single fan.  The only way he'd ever listen to the consensus is if his revenues dropped.

I too am strongly considering a shift in allegiance.  I'll always be a Skins "fan," but my wife and her family are big Steelers fans.  My 2.5 year-old is becoming a Steelers fan before my eyes because that's a team that people actually respect.  People get excited about the Steelers...who have had the same ownership for decades, and keep coaches long enough for them to actually get a system in place.  Hummm...

Admittedly, if my sister-in-law ends up marrying her current boyfriend, The kid and I will probably end up Steelers fans either way since he's pretty big in the organization.

I guess that's the beauty of taking a job with the Redskins. Even if you've been fired from your last 2 jobs for being an alcoholic you can always still put total blame on the team and 99% of people will believe you. 

fatness said:
Did anyone hear Mike Jones on ESPN980 this morning? He was on a long time and had a lot to say. Biggest thing was that McCloughan wanted to sign Cousins longterm in 2015 and in 2016 and Allen refused each time. There's probably a podcast of the show; it was between 8 and 9 a.m. today.
Does that strike anyone else as revisionist history? The "how you like me now" moment didn't leave me with the impression that Cousin's thought Scot was fighting to pay him.
No.

It strikes me as "despite what everyone heard and thought, including maybe Cousins, McCloughan wanted to sign him and Allen did not."

Unless you're going to make the case that Allen is transparent and honest. Mike Jones has no reason to lie, and his sources extend well beyond Allen and McCloughan.

From seeing other tweets, it sounds like Cousins has told the team, give me a long-term deal or trade me. He seems open to a deal, but if the Skins won't cooperate, he wants out. If this idiotic franchise doesn't either 1) come to an agreement on a long-term deal or 2) trade him prior to the draft, then we're ####ed.
If that's what happened there's another component: "Give me a long-term deal for the price I want OR trade me."

Screw him. He's pouting because Jackson and Garcon will probably be gone. "Team leader" my ###.

Quarterback Kirk Cousins has recently appealed to Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder, asking for a trade without a long-term contract in place, league and team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Snyder told Cousins that he should not anticipate a trade, sources said, and the quarterback is prevented from negotiating with teams under the exclusive franchise tag that was placed upon him on Feb. 28.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18863192/kirk-cousins-requesting-trade-washington-redskins

Somebody got to the WikiPedia preview for Bruce Allen.  If you Google his name, check the preview on the right for a quick giggle.

I mean we do have to try to find something to laugh at nowadays, right?
If you check the history on Wiki pages you can see all revisions. I think this is probably the one you're talking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bruce_Allen_(American_football)&action=historysubmit&type=revision&oldid=769477233&diff=769476778

'''Bruce Allen''' is the clueless team president of the [[Washington Redskins]] of the [[National Football League]] (NFL) and is currently trying to drive the organization right off the bridge off recent success back into a black hole of consistent losing seasons.
The list of edits on that page just from today is funny: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bruce_Allen_(American_football)&action=history

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Buccaneers reached agreement with DeSean Jackson on a three-year, $35-million contract that includes $20 million guaranteed, per sources.

lol

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Stunner: Texans trade Brock Osweiler AND 2018 2nd-rd pick to CLEV for Browns to take Osweiler contract off Houston books, sources tell ESPN.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 10m10 minutes ago

Garcon's deal with SF is for $20 mil in guaranteed $$; worth $23 mil in 1st 2 years & 29 over 3. If cut in year 3: Counts 7.4 mil on cap.

No.

It strikes me as "despite what everyone heard and thought, including maybe Cousins, McCloughan wanted to sign him and Allen did not."

Unless you're going to make the case that Allen is transparent and honest. Mike Jones has no reason to lie, and his sources extend well beyond Allen and McCloughan.
But Cousins was offered a deal last year. So it stands to reason that both McCloghan and Allen were willing to sign Cousins. I'm not saying Jones is lying but if his sources are friends of Scot(his agent perhaps) I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get the whole story. What was Scot's #? Was he willing to offer Kirk 20 Million+ last year?

But Cousins was offered a deal last year. So it stands to reason that both McCloghan and Allen were willing to sign Cousins. I'm not saying Jones is lying but if his sources are friends of Scot(his agent perhaps) I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get the whole story. What was Scot's #? Was he willing to offer Kirk 20 Million+ last year?
It stands to reason they were both willing to sign Cousins, and Allen was only willing to go as high as the offer they made him. Jones didn't say what McCloughan's number was, just that he had told different people he knew in the NFL both in '15 and in '16 that he wanted to sign Cousins then, to prevent an expensive cluster #### later on, and that he could get it done but wasn't allowed to.

If I get a chance I'll listen to the podcast. Likewise, if you can, please do. I may have missed something Jones said.

It stands to reason they were both willing to sign Cousins, and Allen was only willing to go as high as the offer they made him. Jones didn't say what McCloughan's number was, just that he had told different people he knew in the NFL both in '15 and in '16 that he wanted to sign Cousins then, to prevent an expensive cluster #### later on, and that he could get it done but wasn't allowed to.

If I get a chance I'll listen to the podcast. Likewise, if you can, please do. I may have missed something Jones said.
Did he also know last week's lotto numbers? Just saying that it's a pretty easy thing to say in retrospect and completely unverifiable. 

I know most people are willing to buy any story that paints the Redskins as complete idiots. Lord knows they've given them enough reasons. But this kinda story strikes me as Shanahan walking out the door saying he never wanted McNabb or RGIII. Oh, you only want credit for the successes? It's disingenuous and given Scot's recent track record with holding jobs, forgive me if I'm wiling wait for the whole story to come out before I grab my torch and pitchfork. 

Forgive me if I think Scot McCloughan, a rattlesnake, and the Iraqi Information Minister are more honest than Bruce Allen. He's a lying piece of ####. Not sure why you're defending him so.

Holy crap that Baker news is disappointing to hear. One of the few blue collar, fan favorite type guys we have, that is also pretty good, and we just let him go. Regardless of whether or not he was truly worth what TB offered, these are the types of players you need to reward with new contracts to show that this front office is actually appreciative of leadership and hard work. Reminds me of when they let Alexander leave. God I hate this team right now.

Forgive me if I think Scot McCloughan, a rattlesnake, and the Iraqi Information Minister are more honest than Bruce Allen. He's a lying piece of ####. Not sure why you're defending him so.
I haven't defended Allen. Actually, I'm sure if the search function still works in the place you could dig up posts where I said he should be fired. I'm just not buying that McCloughan is some blameless martyr. 

So 3/4 of our top free agents have left. And the only way we still have the 4th is because we franchised him for the second year straight. We have new coordinators on both offense and defense and we ran our highly respected GM out of town because actually we never wanted him to be anything more than a glorified scout. 

So 3/4 of our top free agents have left. And the only way we still have the 4th is because we franchised him for the second year straight. We have new coordinators on both offense and defense and we ran our highly respected GM out of town because actually we never wanted him to be anything more than a glorified scout. 
It's unsettling to discover that this team can still finds ways to disappoint me. 

It has pretty much been a forgone conclusion that Jackson & Garcon would leave but Baker is disappointing. Hopefully Doctson can do something next year.

Holy crap that Baker news is disappointing to hear. One of the few blue collar, fan favorite type guys we have, that is also pretty good, and we just let him go. Regardless of whether or not he was truly worth what TB offered, these are the types of players you need to reward with new contracts to show that this front office is actually appreciative of leadership and hard work. Reminds me of when they let Alexander leave. God I hate this team right now.
Literally took the words out of my mouth. 

Something that has kind of bothered about the Kirk negotiations, if you can call it that, is that I don't remember hearing Kirk's side making any offers. But, I just saw that Grant Paulsen tweeted this morning:

Source tells me Kirk Cousins' camp offered the #Redskins a "3-year deal last February worth $19.5M a year w/significant guarantees."
A 3-year contract would have been great. My main concern last year wasn't the $, it was more about the years. I didn't want to sink big money into him for a long time. But, 3 years? Shocked they didn't jump on that or negotiate off of that offer.

Something that has kind of bothered about the Kirk negotiations, if you can call it that, is that I don't remember hearing Kirk's side making any offers. But, I just saw that Grant Paulsen tweeted this morning:

A 3-year contract would have been great. My main concern last year wasn't the $, it was more about the years. I didn't want to sink big money into him for a long time. But, 3 years? Shocked they didn't jump on that or negotiate off of that offer.
Agree - 3 years was the optimal length for him IMO - if he's the real deal, you get a few good years at a good price.  Plus, if he proves to be the real deal, you'll know it after 3 and can lock him up for longer (and pay, but franchise QB's are worth it).  If he ended up being a flash in the pan, it's not a long hit.

At the same time it's not hard to see why the team didn't take that deal. He was basically asking for his franchise tag salary but for 3 years. Teams would probably be more inclined to sign him to a 5 year deal where they have more control. Had they taken that deal they'd basically be in the same place at the end of next year having to negotiate another expensive contract with 1 year left on his deal. 

Agree - 3 years was the optimal length for him IMO - if he's the real deal, you get a few good years at a good price.  Plus, if he proves to be the real deal, you'll know it after 3 and can lock him up for longer (and pay, but franchise QB's are worth it).  If he ended up being a flash in the pan, it's not a long hit.
"No, we don't want to sign you for 3 years with a large guaranteed portion. We want to sign you to two separate one year deals with all of it guaranteed and destroy our relationship with you and our GM in the process."

So basically the team decided on a 2 year 44 million dollar deal with a team option, instead of 3 years 59 million.  Sure, the later deal looks good in retrospect though, I agree. But this time last year it wasn't so clear. 

Users who are viewing this thread