What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (7 Viewers)

Free agent addition Zach Brown made the Pro Bowl last season after recording 149 tackles, four sacks, two forced fumbles, an interception and four pass breakups for Buffalo. But the sixth-year veteran felt like he had a good amount of work he can do in pass coverage. So this week, he sat down with Redskins quarterbacks Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy and asked them to teach him what they see when they read safeties and linebackers.

“This week I was more focused on pass concepts and pass routes, and how the quarterback reads the safeties. Some quarterbacks might see a high safety and go here, or might read here and go here. Our defense is a lot different than other defenses, so I sat down with our quarterbacks and asked how they would read it. They were like, ‘Look, when the safety leaves, I’m automatically going to throw it here. Or if he stays, then I’m coming down to the shallow. It all depends on what he do.’ Or he might read the corner. So, I’m just trying to pick their brains because they’re the ones that are watching it all.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/06/07/three-surprising-things-we-learned-at-wednesdays-practice-at-redskins-park/

Lots of other good information at that last link.

The Arizona Cardinals were preparing to play the Redskins last season, and D.J. Swearinger and fellow safety Tony Jefferson decided that in addition to watching film of the offense, they would check out Washignton’s defense as well. It didn’t take long for the two to realize the Redskins badly needed help at safety where injuries and inexperience plagued that position group.

“Last year, me and my guy Tony Jefferson was looking at this roster like, ‘For sure one of us is going to the Washington Redskins.’ It just happened to be me,” Swearinger said after Wednesday’s practice. “I told him [Jefferson] wanted to come here. But for sure last year we were watching it on film like one of us is going to Washington.”

Following the timeline of events in recent Redskins history, culminating with the two promotions announced this AM, the degree to which Bruce Allen has consolidated and strengthened his stranglehold on the team power structure is startling. Bruce surrounding himself entirely with 'yes man' Bruce people. IMHO, ugh.

Grant and Danny on 106.7 were discussing it this AM, and cracked me up talking about the sure-fire way to land an Admin job with the Redskins. Basically, during your interview with Bruce, every time he asks you a question involving 'so, what do you think about...?', the correct way to answer would be to throw the question right back at him: 'Well, what do you think, Mr. Allen?', then simply repeating his answer back to him...'You're hired!'

Oh, God...

I've never been clear on what Doug Williams did for the Redskins front office prior to today. I had heard he was there as an advisor/mentor/listener for some of the players but I don't know if he actually did much of that. I don't know if he did scouting, or personnel evaluations, or trade talk, or contract talk, or what. Anyone know?

I like Williams, always have. I just hope he's not there as a figurehead. He deserves better than being a Bruce Allen Hood Ornament.

This is such a ****ing joke. A months-long "search" ending in the guy we all predicted would get the title 5 minutes after McCloughan was fired. Exactly the same as the DC search/hire. And it doesn't stop there, Bruce gets his buddy A.J. Smith's son promoted to our director of college scouting. So much nepotism on display today it's sickening. But that's par for the course since Allen got here.

I like Doug Williams the person and understand his importance to Redskins fans as a player, but his post-playing career has been a few years here and a few years there in different aspects of football management, with little to no success. His entire FO career can be chalked up to nepotism. He can't stick as a coach, a scout, or an administrator but keeps getting chances and getting shuffled around because of his name. And now he's Allen's fall guy.

Do guys usually get promoted to a position like this when they haven't stuck in any one aspect of the sport they work in or been promoted before? He's done a couple stints as a coach, both at his alma mater, Grambling. He's worked in a couple FO's (both teams he played for) without much success to show for it, without gaining acclaim or promotion until now, and without interest in his services from anyone outside his Grambling/Redskins/Bucs network. I don't mean to #### on the guy, he seems like a great dude. But his post-playing career has been the definition of nepotism. He can't stick anywhere or move up in the ranks in any aspect of the sport until now, basically.

So now we hope he's a late bloomer surrounded by the right people, assuming he has pull in the Allen/Gruden/Schaffer/Campbell/Smith group. 

And let me be clear. I'm not saying he doesn't work hard at whatever he does. I'm saying he clearly isn't qualified for this position, which is why it's basically a fake position with probably negligible impact considering he's part of a much larger "braintrust" of decision makers. I think we all ideally would have liked a "real" hire of a personnel guy with a good record, to have a larger say or final say in the roster. Instead we got this insulting pat on the head and shuffling of titles. Which we all predicted ages ago, despite the charade of a "thorough search". 

I was really hoping after seeing how an actual GM attacked team building, a true replacement would be hired. Again we have Bruce Allen, probably with a good dose of Snyder input, having the final say on everything. Pretty sure I recall reading somewhere long ago that Bruce was sort of grooming Doug to be a GM in Tampa, but wrecked the team so bad that he got run out of town before that had a chance to happen. Doug probably has paid his dues, learned a lot more, and maybe really deserves a shot, but this seems awfully similar to the same sort of things we've been seeing since Snyder became the owner. At least they had McG's draft board to work with this year. It is what it is, I guess. Maybe they'll strike some kind of effective balance that actually works. Color me very skeptical.

dgreen said:
thayman said:
So Doug Williams is our new GM.  That's a step back from McCloughan.
Technically, he's the Senior VP of Player Personnel, whatever that means. 
Doug Williams, Senior VP of Player Personnel

Eric Schaffer, VP of Football Operations

Scott Campbell, Senior Personnel Executive

Everybody gets a medal.

Allen is a freaking clown show. Was listening to the Junkies this morning and they played a clip from the presser yesterday. A reporter was asking about what the FO structure looks like. Does it go Snyder, Allen, then Williams/Schaffer? Is Williams Schaffer's boss? Allen's response: "The most important person is the one with the football. We're a football team." Really? That's the best you can come up with?

Allen is a freaking clown show. Was listening to the Junkies this morning and they played a clip from the presser yesterday. A reporter was asking about what the FO structure looks like. Does it go Snyder, Allen, then Williams/Schaffer? Is Williams Schaffer's boss? Allen's response: "The most important person is the one with the football. We're a football team." Really? That's the best you can come up with?
It sounded better to him than saying it's his responsibility if the team does poorly. He probably doesn't want to voice that he's the one where the buck stops.

Sadly this team should be good enough to keep Allen employed, but not good enough to have a real chance of competing for a title.  I'd be shocked if they win a playoff game with Allen leading the show.

Reading between the lines it sounds like the Redskins are waiting on a counteroffer from Cousins, and haven't raised their initial offer.

Doug Williams has just been promoted to oversee the personnel department in Washington, but he realizes that the biggest move the team can make is one that Williams can’t necessarily do a lot about.

That move is signing quarterback Kirk Cousins to a long-term contract, and Williams indicated that the ball is in Cousins’ court on that front.

“All I can do is hope and pray that Kirk looks at the big picture and looks at this football team and realizes we do have a solid football team, solid offensive line. He’s got something to work with,” Williams said on NFL Network.
“The last two years, Kirk Cousins has had tremendous years,” Williams said. “And one thing in this league that’s hard to find is that guy to run the football team and Kirk does a tremendous job doing that. And with the weapons that he has and the offensive line that he has and I think our defense is a little better than what we were last year, quite naturally you want Kirk Cousins at quarterback.”

Williams did indicate that if Cousins leaves in free agency next year, it would be up to Williams to identify the next quarterback
Williams thinks that if Cousins looks at the big picture, he’ll see that he’s already in the best place for himself

Dan Snyder.  Career owner record of 125-161-1.

Brice Allen.   Career GM record of 66-94-1 and has never made it past the wildcard game.

Doug Williams.  NFL playing record 38-42-1 with a career QB rating of 69.2.  His USFL QB record and rating is similar.  He was fired from the Bucs in his first personnel role.  He had to go to the Virginia Destoyers (look them up) to get a job.  Unless you count low level scouting jobs, he's got about 4-6 years of terrible real personnel jobs.  This is your new whatever they want to call him.

If it wasn't for Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins, there wouldn't be any hope for this team.  Assuming there is?  But hey, they've got 4th place in the NFC East locked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sebowski said:
Brunell4MVP: 1,342 posts; zero contributions
How I love dropping into this forum about once a month and getting under your skin.  I mean, other than calling that Kirk Cousins will be starting during RG3's first year, I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.  But it's worth every post to know you still love me so much.  God bless, Sebo.

How I love dropping into this forum about once a month and getting under your skin.  I mean, other than calling that Kirk Cousins will be starting during RG3's first year, I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.  But it's worth every post to know you still love me so much.  God bless, Sebo.
:lmao:  I'm good, bro. You're the one that reported me and got me banned for calling you an idiot once. You do you though. 

Dan Snyder.  Career owner record of 125-161-1.

Brice Allen.   Career GM record of 66-94-1 and has never made it past the wildcard game.

Doug Williams.  NFL playing record 38-42-1 with a career QB rating of 69.2.  His USFL QB record and rating is similar.  He was fired from the Bucs in his first personnel role.  He had to go to the Virginia Destoyers (look them up) to get a job.  Unless you count low level scouting jobs, he's got about 4-6 years of terrible real personnel jobs.  This is your new whatever they want to call him.

If it wasn't for Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins, there wouldn't be any hope for this team.  Assuming there is?  But hey, they've got 4th place in the NFC East locked up.
While I'm no fan of Snyder or Allen, I think this is a cheap shot against Williams' playing career.  He may have a 38-42-1 record but if you look at the full context he was a decent QB.

Tampa Bay drafted Williams in the first round (17th overall) of the 1978 NFL Draft. The Bucs, who had never been to the playoffs before Williams arrived and won just two games in the first two years of the franchise, went to the playoffs three times in four years and played in the 1979 NFC Championship Game. During his time in Tampa Williams improved his completion percentage each year.(Wikipedia)

Then of course he won the Super Bowl with a monster game for Washington against Denver.

You can say his HC and GM experience is subpar but in context of where he played, particularly early in Tampa's history, his NFL QB experience was not poor.  I don't agree with that at all...

MikeApf said:
Crap

http://wtkr.com/2017/06/19/cbs-nfl-insider-jason-la-canfora-places-odds-for-redskins-cousins-deal/

Jason LaCanfora puts an 80% chance that Redskins resign Cousins.  This makes me nervous.  Why?  Because Jason "Dumb Face" LaCanfora is almost always wrong, that's why.

PS...he has a face that you just want to punch.  (LaCanfora, not Cousins)
I just thought it was funny that he came up with 80 percent.  Where did he arrive at that percentage?  Seems really random.

5yr/$125M for Carr with $40M guaranteed. Could see Cousins getting something similar. I don't think that would be unreasonable for the Skins to do that same deal with Kirk.

5yr/$125M for Carr with $40M guaranteed. Could see Cousins getting something similar. I don't think that would be unreasonable for the Skins to do that same deal with Kirk.
Carr is three years younger and I assume seen as having a brighter future than Cousins. I've heard so much about Kirk getting $80m guaranteed. Interesting to see how this affects Cousins' demands, whatever those have been. This is a (small) win for the Redskins front office, right?

Carr is three years younger and I assume seen as having a brighter future than Cousins. I've heard so much about Kirk getting $80m guaranteed. Interesting to see how this affects Cousins' demands, whatever those have been. This is a (small) win for the Redskins front office, right?
I would think so. If Cousins thinks he's getting more than Carr, he's delusional.

I would think so. If Cousins thinks he's getting more than Carr, he's delusional.
Contracts aren't about talent, they are about leverage.

.If Cousins thinks he's getting more than Carr, he's delusional.
I don't think so.  Cousins has the Redskins at a huge disadvantage, especially if he is willing to play this out if the Redskins don't anti up big, and he seems willing to do it.

Getting 24 million for this year and between 28.5 and 34.5 next year if the Redskins franchise or transition tag him.  If not, he's a top 8-12 QB (depending on opinion) in a FA market lacking top QBs and an increasing salary cap.  I can easily see him getting more than Carr based solely on his negotiating situation. 

Contracts aren't about talent, they are about leverage.
But what is Cousins's leverage now? Carr is younger and has just as good of a track record. If Cousins thinks he should get more, then let him go find another team that will pay him more. Carr is now the highest paid QB based on average annual salary. I don't think Cousins deserves more than that.  

I don't think so.  Cousins has the Redskins at a huge disadvantage, especially if he is willing to play this out if the Redskins don't anti up big, and he seems willing to do it.

Getting 24 million for this year and between 28.5 and 34.5 next year if the Redskins franchise or transition tag him.  If not, he's a top 8-12 QB (depending on opinion) in a FA market lacking top QBs and an increasing salary cap.  I can easily see him getting more than Carr based solely on his negotiating situation. 
Couldn't the Skins just offer him a little more guaranteed then? Say we'll give you $50M guaranteed?

Couldn't the Skins just offer him a little more guaranteed then? Say we'll give you $50M guaranteed?
Yeah, but he is already going to get 28.5 to 34.5 guaranteed for just one season if he plays this out and Washington follows through with their stance that they will not let him go in 2018.  Plus 24.5 for this year, so there is 50 million plus guaranteed for just those two years assuming he doesn't suffer a Bridgewater type injury.  I just don't see him performing so poorly in 2017 that he loses his leverage.  Could happen I guess, but Cousins doesn't seem afraid to take a risk.

But what is Cousins's leverage now? Carr is younger and has just as good of a track record. If Cousins thinks he should get more, then let him go find another team that will pay him more. Carr is now the highest paid QB based on average annual salary. I don't think Cousins deserves more than that.  
His leverage is that the Redskins have none.  If they Franchise him again next year it will be for $34M.  If they don't they lose him.  NFL teams don't let QB's walk.  It doesn't happen.  Guys like Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick hit free agency.  When is the last time a moderately accomplished QB hit free agency?  Brees in 2004 (and only because he was hurt)?  He's guaranteed what, $24M this year on the tag?  Plus $34M next, so any contract starts with $60M guaranteed and goes up from there.

Carr had risk of playing 2017 out at just $1.3M and is fresh off a broken leg last year.  Ask Teddy Bridgewater how he'd feel about taking a lowball long term contract right about now.  Carr now gets $126M for the next 6 years with (do we know his guarantee yet?) ____ guaranteed rather than $1.3M and a prayer. 

Yeah, it is. I doubt most teams in the league value Cousins more than Carr, so it's a good indication of the most Cousins could hope for. I don't think it would be horrible for the Skins to pay Cousins that much, but I'd rather have Carr for those $$$.

Leverage is something that Cousins might have next year, but he doesn't have now. He can only sign with one team now.

If he wants to take a chance on his value not going down this year, and hoping that a crap team offers him more money next year, he can take that chance. Next year.

Really tired of hearing the "Cousins has all the leverage" talk, which was started by his agent and is repeated endlessly by DC area media. The guy played a major role in the Redskins not making the playoffs last year.

fatness said:
Leverage is something that Cousins might have next year, but he doesn't have now. He can only sign with one team now.

If he wants to take a chance on his value not going down this year, and hoping that a crap team offers him more money next year, he can take that chance. Next year.

Really tired of hearing the "Cousins has all the leverage" talk, which was started by his agent and is repeated endlessly by DC area media. The guy played a major role in the Redskins not making the playoffs last year.
You really are not going to like what you see if Cousins leaves. A perennial 4th place finishing team in the NFC East. That's what happens when you have no QB. The hardest thing to do in the NFL is find a viable starting QB. When you have one, you pay them or become a loser.

You really are not going to like what you see if Cousins leaves. A perennial 4th place finishing team in the NFC East. That's what happens when you have no QB. The hardest thing to do in the NFL is find a viable starting QB. When you have one, you pay them or become a loser.
The greed of today's NFL players makes it hard for me to care. Sad (for me) that I'd rather see them lose than be blackmailed in to paying someone over $25M a year to play a damn game. I suppose it's why I watch less and less every season.

fatness said:

I'm also tired of the assumption Cousins is locked in for a tag next year. it is literally impossible to know how he'll do this year. If he plays like he did in the last game we saw him, he is heading for clipboard town. There is no guarantee he'll be better than last year. Which, by the way, wasn't good enough for a playoff birth. And yes, that is directly on him via the last game of the season. 

The greed of today's NFL players makes it hard for me to care. Sad (for me) that I'd rather see them lose than be blackmailed in to paying someone over $25M a year to play a damn game. I suppose it's why I watch less and less every season.
That's extremely myopic.  Greed?  If the players don't get it it just goes to the bilionaire owners.  The players are simply taking part in the profit sharing plan.

I'm also tired of the assumption Cousins is locked in for a tag next year. it is literally impossible to know how he'll do this year. If he plays like he did in the last game we saw him, he is heading for clipboard town. There is no guarantee he'll be better than last year. Which, by the way, wasn't good enough for a playoff birth. And yes, that is directly on him via the last game of the season. 
And it wasn't just the last game. The Carolina game was awful. 15 points?

The teams was sitting at 6-3-1 with their fate in their own hands, and Cousins led them to 8-7-1, out of the playoffs, and a step back from the previous years. The fact that McCoy may not be a good starting QB doesn't make Cousins a QB worth $25 million/year. He's been average-to-good, that's it, unless somehow the league decides to give teams extra points for passing yards. Stats compiler is a good description. Drive up and down the field, end up with a FG or nothing. Tons of stats, though!

Cousins would be signed already if he wanted to be here and would be happy with a deal like Carr's. The Skins aren't going to grab their ankles in desperation because the talking Sheehans say "He has all the leverage!".

The greed of today's NFL players makes it hard for me to care.
I think they should make every dollar they can. The owners are in it for the money, so are the players, and there's nothing wrong with it.

To me that's a different issue than how much Cousins is worth. I'd say the Carr contract puts a cap on what the Skins should offer him.

The assumption is because Allen came out and said they would tag him another year if he didn't sign a new contract or give him the transition tag.

Cousins would have to really crap the bed in order for multiple teams to not be bidding on him next year.  Just not enough competent QBs to go around so a top 10-15 guy is in demand.

Cousins would be signed already if he wanted to be here and would be happy with a deal like Carr's. The Skins aren't going to grab their ankles in desperation because the talking Sheehans say "He has all the leverage!".
Cousins would be signed already if the Redskins were more forward thinking like the Raiders (not a Raider fan BTW) and realized they needed to pay above market to lock their own guy up.  They didn't do that and now they will be grabbing their ankles to lock him up because he does have all the leverage.  Sorry, but it's a fact.  Unless he is awful this year, and I doubt he will be, he is going to get paid.

I hope they can work it out with him as I like to see guys stay with the team that drafted them, but to say that Cousins doesn't have all the leverage here is just not true.

I think they should make every dollar they can. The owners are in it for the money, so are the players, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Probably not. But when a guy is whining about feeling disrespected at that kind of pay day, it makes me dislike them. I sure not going to feel sympathetic. He can leave and I won't shed a tear.

That's extremely myopic.  Greed?  If the players don't get it it just goes to the bilionaire owners.  The players are simply taking part in the profit sharing plan.
Don't care for their greed either. They make it so the average family of four can't afford to attend a game. So no love lost there either.

Cousins would be signed already if the Redskins were more forward thinking like the Raiders (not a Raider fan BTW) and realized they needed to pay above market to lock their own guy up.  They didn't do that and now they will be grabbing their ankles to lock him up because he does have all the leverage.  Sorry, but it's a fact.  Unless he is awful this year, and I doubt he will be, he is going to get paid.

I hope they can work it out with him as I like to see guys stay with the team that drafted them, but to say that Cousins doesn't have all the leverage here is just not true.
Both gambled. Cousins won and the Redskins lost.

Both gambled. Cousins won and the Redskins lost.
We dont know this yet.  Its quite possible that he will not be great this season in which case it would have been a great move.  the reality is we simply wont know who won until we let the situation play out.

I like to see guys stay, too, and I think Cousins is a decent QB. But he's gone already. Sure, he'll play this year, but only for the franchise $$$ and not because he wants to be here. I really don't know why that's not obvious to people. The Redskins have offered him $20m/yr.  It's been his turn to counter-offer for months now, and he has not. A guy who wants to be here talks with his agent who then goes to the team with "$20 is far too low and we're thinking more like $28" or some number. Cousins's agent hasn't done that. He's not even negotiating, he's waiting on the Redskins to bring him a shrubbery. That tells you all you need to know.

Let him get overpaid by some crappy team next year, or find out from elsewhere that he wants too much money. Let him play for a team that didn't stack their offense with "weapons" to help him pile up stats.

I think keeping him this year was a good idea, because this could be Gruden's last year. If they take another step backwards this year I think Gruden's gone (contract or no contract) and that would be the logical time to part with Cousins.

The Redskins won't massively overpay him, so his "leverage" isn't working. And I'm glad they won't. There are rookies, there will be vets available next year, there are trades, there is McCoy. We don't need to spend $25m/yr. on a QB who misses the playoffs and scores too few TD's.

Snyder and just about every other owner will pay out the full salary cap every year. The only way to get more money to the players and less to the owners is to change the cap. When a player demands more money they're not taking from the owner, they're taking from their teammates. This is why I thought Cousins' earlier comment about holding out to ensure he doesn't tank the market for other QB's was particularly stupid and offensive. QB's already command a higher % of a team's cap than they probably should, and even if not, he's still basically saying he feels more loyalty to other QB's than to his own teammates. 

Users who are viewing this thread