What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (5 Viewers)

Season on the line for both Teams. Been a while since a late-season Redskins/Cowboys tilt had do-or-die implications for both squads. Given the state of the NFC, you could argue that every game for the rest of the way is an 'elimination game', as 10-6 doesn't look like an automatic ticket to the Conference Playoff Dance. Even with our quasi-favorable ROS schedule, the required 'running the table' to arrive at that mark seems pretty far-fetched to me...but if we take it one week at a time, sticking a fork in the Cowboys on Thursday night seems like a pretty decent Week 13 goal to me!

Season on the line for both Teams. Been a while since a late-season Redskins/Cowboys tilt had do-or-die implications for both squads. Given the state of the NFC, you could argue that every game for the rest of the way is an 'elimination game', as 10-6 doesn't look like an automatic ticket to the Conference Playoff Dance. Even with our quasi-favorable ROS schedule, the required 'running the table' to arrive at that mark seems pretty far-fetched to me...but if we take it one week at a time, sticking a fork in the Cowboys on Thursday night seems like a pretty decent Week 13 goal to me!
Hopefully the team is looking at this as one game as you say.  And in fact, there is no reason to ever approach a season in in other way.  How many times have we heard a coach say the team just needs to focus on the opponent in front of them.  And that really can apply if you are 10-1, if you are 5-6, or if you are 1-10.  In all scenarios, all you really can do is just look at that opponent in front of you and try to win.  I often think players and fans can overthink it.  Focus and desire isn't something to just stir up when you are behind the eight ball...it needs to be baked in from the very beginning and even later if the season is "lost."

We'll certainly learn a lot about both teams this Thursday...

No, it isn't.  Both of these teams have only 2018 to play for.
Hopefully, the guys still want to win just for the sake of winning the game.  I know it's a job and all.  But some guys just want to win, even if their team is out of it.  Look at what the Giants did against Kansas City.  You learn a lot about players when they are placed in bad/hopeless/difficult situations.

My point is, your desire and focus can be the same no matter what your record.  If it changes, depending on your record, I'm not sure that says something good about you as a player...

That field looked like complete garbage on Thanksgiving too.  Why in holy hell is it so hard for them to get a decent playing surface?

The field is a complete embarrassment.  
I don't get it.  I understand that Dan Snyder doesn't give two hoots about providing decent concessions or a half way decent fan experience.  But how does he not see that field on National TV and think it's OK?  Even among his peer group he has to know this is the worst stadium and worst playing surface in the league.  

No, it isn't.  Both of these teams have only 2018 to play for.
That's crazy talk. It may end up that way for both teams, but right now the winner gets to 6-6 and is very much in the hunt for a wild card spot. They are each two games behind Atlanta and Seattle who each have pretty difficult schedules remaining. I'm confident they will both get to 6, or 7, losses.

That's crazy talk. It may end up that way for both teams, but right now the winner gets to 6-6 and is very much in the hunt for a wild card spot. They are each two games behind Atlanta and Seattle who each have pretty difficult schedules remaining. I'm confident they will both get to 6, or 7, losses.
For context, here are the comparable schedules:

Atlanta:  Vikings, Saints, Bucs, Saints, Panthers

Seattle:  Eagles, Jags, Rams, Cowboys, Cardinals

Washington:  Cowboys, Chargers, Cardinals, Broncos, Giants

Falcons schedule coming home is BRUTAL!!!

Hawks somewhat less brutal but still at least three very challenging games the next three weeks...

As always, the thing I'm MOST concerned about is Skins taking care of our own business!  As N-Lion says, we need to just look one game at a time and if it works out, it works out.  If it doesn't, at least go down playing good football...

Hawks somewhat less brutal but still at least three very challenging games the next three weeks...

As always, the thing I'm MOST concerned about is Skins taking care of our own business!  As N-Lion says, we need to just look one game at a time and if it works out, it works out.  If it doesn't, at least go down playing good football...
Atlanta could also win the division.  That Saints loss is a big one in the playoff picture for The Redskins.

PS...while Skins schedule is easier than, say, the Falcons' schedule, it is by no means as easy as many in the media are proclaiming.  

Dallas away, particularly with Tyron Smith back, is going to be tough.  They have been down with Eliot, but they'll be a desparate team and are playing at home.

Chargers are tough and should be favored that game.  This isn't the Chargers of the first 4 games.

Gabbert is starting to look un-Gabbert like for the Cards.

Giants gave us a hard time at home...they are going to be looking to piss on us in that last game.

I do feel like all of the games on our schedule are "winnable" -- with Chargers being the hardest -- and definitely think they are easier than the first part of the schedule, but by no means "gimmies..."

I'd bet we're gonna see some of Kirk's best career work vs Giants, Cards and Broncos...Those are going to be 3 or his biggest off-season suitors come 2018. Casting Central!

I'm looking to stash Wash D for week 15 vs Ari and week 16 vs Den.  What's the feeling from Wash fans for these two match ups?  Thanks!

I'm looking to stash Wash D for week 15 vs Ari and week 16 vs Den.  What's the feeling from Wash fans for these two match ups?  Thanks!
Don't do it.  At 100% they were looking much improved.  But they'll let up a bunch of yards and teams will score on them.  I would imagine you must have better options out on the wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeApf said:
PS...while Skins schedule is easier than, say, the Falcons' schedule, it is by no means as easy as many in the media are proclaiming.  

Dallas away, particularly with Tyron Smith back, is going to be tough.  They have been down with Eliot, but they'll be a desparate team and are playing at home.

Chargers are tough and should be favored that game.  This isn't the Chargers of the first 4 games.

Gabbert is starting to look un-Gabbert like for the Cards.

Giants gave us a hard time at home...they are going to be looking to piss on us in that last game.

I do feel like all of the games on our schedule are "winnable" -- with Chargers being the hardest -- and definitely think they are easier than the first part of the schedule, but by no means "gimmies..."
ETA:  Geno Smith   :shock:

thayman said:
Don't do it.  At 100% they were looking much improved.  But they'll let up a bunch of yards and teams will score on them.  I would imagine you must have better options out on the wire.
It may also depend on your defensive scoring rules.

True, give up points, but it seems like they do get sacks and interceptions.  In the secondary, a number of guys are pulling picks on a regular basis, e.g. Fuller and Swearinger.  As a result, the team is actually tied for 5th in league with 12 interceptions.  That's not bad.

Meanwhile, Kerrigan is always a threat to get a sack and if Allen comes back like they are talking, that's only going to help the front 7.  They are tied for 14th in sacks at 28 so far.  Middle of the pack but by no means the worst.

nittanylion said:
I'd bet we're gonna see some of Kirk's best career work vs Giants, Cards and Broncos...Those are going to be 3 or his biggest off-season suitors come 2018. Casting Central!
The threat of Mara signing Cousins and sticking it in Dan's eye may be the ONE thing that makes Synder swallow his pride and pay him.  

Cousins gamble to bet on himself and not take any lesser offers from the Redskins for years is pretty damn impressive. makes me like and respect him even more.  You guys will miss him when he leaves.  The coming market this year for him is amazing in terms of where he could go and there will most likely be a bidding war for his services.

Just got an email from the Skins trying to get me to sign up for 2018 tickets. I was last a season ticket holder in 2014 and was for just one year. They must be desperate for people to buy them because if you do, you get the rest of the 2017 home games for free. 

Just got an email from the Skins trying to get me to sign up for 2018 tickets. I was last a season ticket holder in 2014 and was for just one year. They must be desperate for people to buy them because if you do, you get the rest of the 2017 home games for free. 
Yeah, it's kind of amazing what's happened to live sports attendance recently. This is my first season without tickets in my name since I got them in 2004. Last season they were still in my name but I sold the whole season to someone. I haven't been to a game since the playoff loss to the Packers. I still enjoy being at games. Just didn't enjoy the cost and the effort involved to sell unused tickets. Cardinals and Broncos games have some cheap tickets so I might take my kids to one of those. They miss going to games.

Yeah, it's kind of amazing what's happened to live sports attendance recently. This is my first season without tickets in my name since I got them in 2004. Last season they were still in my name but I sold the whole season to someone. I haven't been to a game since the playoff loss to the Packers. I still enjoy being at games. Just didn't enjoy the cost and the effort involved to sell unused tickets. Cardinals and Broncos games have some cheap tickets so I might take my kids to one of those. They miss going to games.
FedEx field is just an awful experience.  Awful concessions, horrible parking would much rather spend my money going to a Caps/Nats game these days.

Collapsed in New Orleans. 

Slipped by the Giants only because they are one of the worst teams in the league. 

Played like total trash tonight. 

So many injuries this year. Couple with choking away games late against KC and NO. Another lost season here and another offseason of questions about Kirk. Life of a Skins fan. 

So many injuries this year. Couple with choking away games late against KC and NO. Another lost season here and another offseason of questions about Kirk. Life of a Skins fan. 
I am surprised the Skins have been as competitive as they have been with all of their injuries, and having the hardest schedule in the NFL this year. 

Can we please find someone else to return punts? He has 6 fumbles this year! 6! ON 75 TOUCHES! I think 4 of those are on punt returns. In previous seasons, he also had the problem of simply not attempting to field a punt and letting it hit the ground too often. He's just not a very good punt returner. Yeah, he had a cool PR TD last year. Other than that, though, he's done nothing, fumbles, and fails to even catch the ball at times to keep it from bouncing inside their own 20.

Remember years ago when we continually begged for ARE to be taken off PR duties? It's basically the same production from Crowder...but with more fumbles. Just get someone to make a fair catch every time like Keenan McCardell did that one season even if nobody was withing 20 yards of him.

Had to feel good for Alf to run roughshod on the Skins in the 2nd half.   

Crowder clearly gets to wear the Goat Horns for yesterday's debacle.    Now that they're done, the Skins should put Trent Williams and Jordan Reed on I.R.   

That offensive line is so banged up.   Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram must be licking their chops for next week's matchup.  

t

Had to feel good for Alf to run roughshod on the Skins in the 2nd half.   

Crowder clearly gets to wear the Goat Horns for yesterday's debacle.    Now that they're done, the Skins should put Trent Williams and Jordan Reed on I.R.   

That offensive line is so banged up.   Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram must be licking their chops for next week's matchup.  

t
Yeah, I can see them making more IR moves before next week's game. Personally, I'd wait for one more loss (because I'm a Redskins fan who tortures myself with hope) but it sounds like Trent has played through enough pain and definitely don't want to risk his future or next season at this point.

Any other former Eagles players chiming in? I'm holding my breathe over here....
Skins 10 years, Eagles 3...went to pro bowl and won super bowl with skins.  It’s cool if you don’t agree with what he says.  I don’t agree with everything.  But this dude is a Redskins homer through and through...hardly a hater from Philly.  

Skins 10 years, Eagles 3...went to pro bowl and won super bowl with skins.  It’s cool if you don’t agree with what he says.  I don’t agree with everything.  But this dude is a Redskins homer through and through...hardly a hater from Philly.  
I didn't read it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hated the way he left and how much #### he talked after he left. Did he ever apologize for that stuff? Or did I make it up? I remember him torching Redskins Earth when he left. 

2 of my memories of the wonderful Cowboys' game

1. In the first quarter noticing that Nsekhe was dragging his right leg around. He played one-legged all game.

2. Alfred Morris. I told my wife before the game that I hoped Morris got over 100 yards and the Redskins won, so I got half of what I wanted. He's a thoroughly likeable guy and whatever front office genius thought he was over the hill was obviously an idiot. Morris is still better than Matt Jones and Rob Kelly; verdict is still out on Perine.

I've had enough Gruden. He's good at the passing part of the offense, and at nothing else.

11 teams have scored more than the Redskins. 2 teams have given up more points than the Redskins. 8 teams have a worse record than the Redskins (doesn't that make us the 9th draft pick at this time?)

There are plenty of interesting things to watch the rest of the season, but the meaningful season is over. If you don't believe me then tune in to Cooley and Kevin, who have stopped talking about the Washington Redskins and switched back to their preferred team --- Kirk Cousins.

Honest questions: How is the draft looking for QB's? Is Bridgewater going to be a free agent or moved? Same questions for Keenum? And Bradford I guess. Who else is going to be available at QB?

Basides needing more quality starters (WR, LG, TE, NT, DE, OLB) the Skins need more depth. I know we've had a staggering amount of injuries but did anyone think the backup backups would be this preposterously bad? That's where we were against Dallas -- preposterously bad. The roster needs an upgrade, and spending luxury dollars on keeping our QB is just stupid. Kirk Cousins won't fill the stadium and build the waiting list. A solid winning team will do that. And we need a lot of players to build a solid winning team.

If Keenan Allen is on your fantasy team start him this weekend.

Any chance Bruce Allen and Jay are gone at the end of the year?

Hoping my NFC home team can turn things around, but I don't think it happens while Allen or Gruden are involved with the team. We need a new front office staff that can convince Snyder to stay hands-off. 

Also, not wild about Cousins, but if I was him I'd never trust/want to work with the current regime.

Q&A with Tom Boswell.

Q: Run game seems unimaginative

In the sea of problems the past few weeks, one thing that stood out to me was the lack of run production. Specifically, Gruden does't seem to put the same mental effort in designing innovative running plays. It's pretty much hand off and run straight ahead until you fall down. Since you're more of a masochist than us and re-watch the games, did anything stand out to you in the playcalling for runs?

A: Thomas Boswell

To me, it looked like they "pretty much hand off and run straight ahead until they fall down."

Any chance Bruce Allen and Jay are gone at the end of the year?

Hoping my NFC home team can turn things around, but I don't think it happens while Allen or Gruden are involved with the team. We need a new front office staff that can convince Snyder to stay hands-off. 

Also, not wild about Cousins, but if I was him I'd never trust/want to work with the current regime.
The talk has started.

I'd like to see Gruden and Allen gone. While I'd like to see Cousins stay I don't think he's worth nearly what he'll be asking, and I'd prefer to use the money to build the team in other ways. There are supposedly good QB's in the draft, Keenum may be available, McCoy is still around. How good a QB do we need to go 5-11, 6-10, 0r 7-9? It's not like we're going to win the remaining 3 games.

I can never root for them to lose, but if they lose out they'll be in decent position to draft a decent rookie QB. That would not be a bad things.

Is this a game Sebowski was going to?
Yup. Rented a charter bus for me and my closest 52 friends. We had a blast. Go-Go music on the speakers and History of the Redskins on the DVD player. Met Mark Rypien at the tailgate. Met JP Finley and got on some kind of CSN tailgate coverage. Haven't found it online. Really an awesome time except for that horrible, horrible game. Probably the worst game of football I have ever seen a team play live. Just flat and bad all around. Couldn't do a damn thing. It was embarrassing really. I ended up getting great seats though. Waited for prices to drop and they weren't really dropping on stub hub so we bought a couple of the cheapest we could find on NF ticket exchange and the when we were walking in I checked stubhub again and saw a bunch of great seats I knew weren't going to sell at that point so we just went right to those. 40 yard line 11 rows up. Sat in front a group of Canadians. I'd say friendly Canadians, but that's kind of redundant. They had cheap Chargers shirts on. Said they were just touring sporting events and rooting for home teams. They went to the Wizards Clippers the day before and the Kings game the day before that. First thing they asked me before we got the ball was why we haven't paid Cousins yet. And said just watch the game and then let's talk about it. He got it pretty quick. They bought us beers and ended up having a great time at the game in spite of the game itself. 

I'll post some pics later. 

Users who are viewing this thread