What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (8 Viewers)

Of course they can. They can renegotiate contracts, spread out the hit, keep Smith happy, let the rookie take over when he's ready.

This terrific aversion to drafting rookie QB's is something I don't understand in Skins fans. They drafted 2 in one year --- Griffin and Cousins. Both of them got the Skins to the playoffs one year.  It's looked on as a horror show but was it really? I don't think so.
I was getting really excited about drafting a rookie actually. That’s why I’m bummed about this trade.

Mike Jones‏Verified account @ByMikeJones 4m4 minutes ago

Kendall Fuller is indeed the player that the Redskins are sending to Chiefs along with the third-round pick. Chiefs fleece Skins. Fuller is the second-best CB on the team behind Josh Norman.
He's wrong. Breeland is better than Fuller. Norman may be also, but we have to remember him getting burned repeatedly after coming back from being injured. Was he still injured and will return to his usual form? Or was he "who he is now"?

From Washington Post staff.

The move means that Cousins, 29, who had shown no interest in striking a long-term deal with the Redskins, will get what he has long sought: a chance to test his value on the NFL’s free agent market and have a choice in his employer for the first time in his career.

Meanwhile, the Redskins get a proven quarterback who is coming off the best seasons of his career. The 6-4, 217-pound Smith threw for 4,042 yards last season, leading the Chiefs to a 10-6 record and AFC West title while throwing a career-high 26 touchdowns to five interceptions.
I'll take it. Especially when it would cost over $30 million/year for the alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Multiple teams - and one person labeled it as “six” - expressed some form of interest to KC about trading for QB Alex Smith, per sources. KC was listening to offers from other teams this morning.

Rich Tandler‏Verified account @TandlerNBCS

Folks, let's wait and see about the $70 million guaranteed, a number from the agent. The devil is in the details and we may not get those until the contract can be executed after March 14.

@grantpaulsen

Kendall Fuller is now telling his teammates that he is headed to the Chiefs in the Alex Smith deal. He was one of the last people to find out. #Redskins

Not that twitter is the ideal place to gather intelligence, but I have seen a grand total of zero tweets expressing a positive or neutral feeling about including Fuller in the trade. Every single tweet has expressed a negative take. I don’t want to elevate Fuller to the HoF, but I hate including him in this trade. Makes no sense. 

Good news is there’s still about 6 weeks to back out of this trade. Nothing official until mid March. I will take the embarrassment of backing out over going through with this. 

Not that twitter is the ideal place to gather intelligence, but I have seen a grand total of zero tweets expressing a positive or neutral feeling about including Fuller in the trade. Every single tweet has expressed a negative take. I don’t want to elevate Fuller to the HoF, but I hate including him in this trade. Makes no sense. 
I was actually ok with this trade until they threw Fuller in.  Sucks balls 

Good news is there’s still about 6 weeks to back out of this trade. Nothing official until mid March. I will take the embarrassment of backing out over going through with this. 
Any chance this is a classic Bruce /Danny leak to gauge fan reaction?  If so we all need to write the team tomorrow 

So Alex Smith for a year at $20 million.  They'll draft a QB in round 1 and he'll be able to sit for a year.
Alex Smith is guaranteed $71 million dollars on this contract. So I'd say you are on the hook for a good two or three years. 

Well Cousins nor Smith are going to make this team a contender. But I guess this frees up some money which is a plus. We need a TE that isn’t brittle or old, a #1 WR that can catch, a true 3 down RB (love Thompson but he’s a great 3rd down back) and all kinds of pass rush and run defense help...and a new GM sounds good too 
Doesn't this add up to your not needing a true 3-down back, and being able to get on just fine with a 2-down back (which is a definite need)?

Also, what is the percentage for either team in doing and announcing this in the middle of the playoffs when it can't actually happen to mid-March?  Why not sit on it till then?

I don't think I've ever heard of an NFL deal being announced "in principle" long before it went to the league office...seems a wierd way to do business, and like any number of things could go wrong...

Watch Cousins sign a super team friendly deal with someone else now just as a FU to the Skins. 
According to Cooley and Sheehan within the last couple weeks it was going to take $100m guaranteed for him to sign with Washington. He isn't worth $30m more than Smith, and he didn't want to be here.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim

There may have been up to 5 teams trying to trade for Alex Smith. FWIW

4:04 AM - 31 Jan 2018

Dawn‏ @TDreamer7 37m37 minutes ago

Replying to @john_keim

Wonder how many of those thought Kirk would be available.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim 22m22 minutes ago

probably all of them

According to Cooley and Sheehan within the last couple weeks it was going to take $100m guaranteed for him to sign with Washington. He isn't worth $30m more than Smith, and he didn't want to be here.
Speaking of radio personalities, remind me to stay way from listening to Grant and Danny on 106.7 The Fan over the next few weeks.  I fully expect them to become full blown fans of whatever team Kirk signs...might even move to that city.  SMH

Yeah, it is what it is.  I'm at peace with our moving on from Kirk.  Honestly, the only part of this that bugs me a little is giving up Fuller. I suppose if we re-sign Breeland, we still have a number of good corners:  Breeland, Norman, Dunbar, Moreau, Hosby.  Related ponderings:

1.  Does this mean that we'll likely try to re-sign Breeland?  

2.  Does this mean that we may target Derwin James in the first round?  He's supposed to be freakishly good in the secondary, kind of an all purpose guy who can hit, cover, etc.  Go with the corners we have but insert a Kam Chancellor like force behind them?

3.  Where might we pick a QB.  Before I was thinking first round...targeting maybe a guy like Mayfield.  But what if we look to the second round and target a guy like Richmond's Kyle Lauletta, who I hear is very respected and could grow into being as good as the top prospects?

I think, a lot of this trade is upsetting, but whether it makes sense in August or not, may depend upon other draft/free agent moves them make to fill in the team around things...

Lol... Why would they say it's good to lose a young, good CB on a cheap deal? That makes absolutely zero sense. Were you expecting someone to think he was dead weight on a bloated contract? Smh

If we had signed Alex Smith as an unrestricted free agent this offseason for 4/$94 with $71 guaranteed, would people be pleased with the deal?  I honestly don't know.

Conversation with my wife this morning:

Me: "What's the last day for Cousins to clean out all the leverage and cards from his locker?"

Her: "At least he doesn't have any balls. They're all in the Redskins court."

If we had signed Alex Smith as an unrestricted free agent this offseason for 4/$94 with $71 guaranteed, would people be pleased with the deal?  I honestly don't know.
I think the $71M number bothers people. The more knowledgeable fans are correctly saying we need to wait and see how the "guaranteed" money is laid out. It's possible he never sees a good chunk of the supposedly "guaranteed" money. Also, have to wait and see how the cap hits are each year. I think if it's a relatively low cap hit the first couple years and allows them to build other areas, fans should be ok with the contract.

Not only that, but WITH Cousins playing close as well and consistent as he is capable of playing..... you're talking about a team headed in the wrong direction. For all the backseat drivers that insist they were saying WAS should sign Cousins for $23mil two or three years ago, would they REALLY have been patting the Skins on the back for signing a guy at the height of his success and then going from a 9-7 team, to a 8-7-1 team, to a 7-9 team? Would they really have a lot of confidence in the Skins SB hopes if Cousins had 3-4 more years on that deal? If so I'm sure they thought the Bengals handled the Dalton situation PERFECTLY a few years ago.

I don't put all of that blame squarely on Cousins but if you watch Gruden on the sidelines you can tell he has been frustrated for awhile now that Cousins isn't progressing faster in the system, especially at the end of halves. Maybe it's as simple as Cousins doesn't have poise in pressure situations. I like Cousins personality and the things say about him and hope he has success where he lands next but maybe it's best for both parties to get a fresh start. I actually hope Cousins does go to a winner like MIN/JAX where he can be a small, important part on a SB run. Maybe both Cousins and WAS have a better shot at reaching a SB quicker on their own.

WAS is an under-performing team. Under-performing teams have every move criticized so it comes with the territory. Had WAS signed Cousins to a long term deal two years ago and then started their descent toward the bottom of the division there would be exactly NOBODY saying they handled the Cousins so shrewdly. 

Odds the Redskins can still sign and trade Cousins? It would obviously be an expensive risk to take to put the transition tag on him (you'd probably have $40M in cap space tied up at QB) but I think it could work.

Odds the Redskins can still sign and trade Cousins? It would obviously be an expensive risk to take to put the transition tag on him (you'd probably have $40M in cap space tied up at QB) but I think it could work.
I think that would take more "talking to each other and working together" than either side has in them.

How does the tag and negotiating with other teams work?

If the Redskins tag Cousins, can he sign it and negotiate with other teams? Or can he only go out and negotiate with other teams as long as he doesn't sign? Then when he gets an offer from someone, the two teams work a trade? If that's the case, then I'd tag him in a second because he never counts toward the cap unless he signs. And I don't see him signing in this situation.

I think the $71M number bothers people. The more knowledgeable fans are correctly saying we need to wait and see how the "guaranteed" money is laid out. It's possible he never sees a good chunk of the supposedly "guaranteed" money. Also, have to wait and see how the cap hits are each year. I think if it's a relatively low cap hit the first couple years and allows them to build other areas, fans should be ok with the contract.
Not only that but this happens EVERY offseason with QB's when it comes time to be paid. 

Everyone threw their hands up in disgust when Dalton got paid. And Luck. And Flacco. And Bradford. And Stafford. Etc, etc. When every QB signing in the NFL is way out of whack..... maybe it's the general public that doesn't understand the market. When Bradford was signed by PHI people said it was the most absurd contract they had ever heard of and PHI was so off base no other team would have made a such a huge mistake. That was a few months before MIN gave up a first rounder AND a conditional day 2 or 3 pick just for the right to pay Bradford that salary. I still remember people saying PHI botched their QB situation so completely when they signed both Daniels, and Bradford, and drafted Wentz. They set their franchise back a decade ZOIKS! Two years later they are in the SB. When QB's are available you go out and get them, and if you end up with too many it's a MUCH easier problem to solve than having too few. Just because Tom Brady is willing to play way, WAY below market value doesn't mean every other QB salary is out of whack.

I have no idea if the $71mil extension is terrible or not. Neither does anyone else. There is a pretty solid chance that SF backs up the Brinks truck to make sure Garropolo never even hears an offer by another team. That is going to reset the FA QB market before FA even starts. Whatever number that is will likely be the STARTING number in negotiating with Cousins in a league where half the league either has no QB or a QB in their mid-to late 30's. So the QB market is going to completely change.... TWICE.... in the next few months.

The same people that are squealing now about the Smith contract will be squealing even louder when they see where QB salaries go in the next few months. If you are better than average NFL QB and become a FA you are going to get paid. A lot of money. It is what it is.

BTW, remember that contact Dalton signed that had people losing their minds a few years ago? He's not even in the top half of the league in terms of QB salary and he's about to get pushed down much further. This reaction happens every single year when it comes to QB salary.

Users who are viewing this thread