What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (13 Viewers)

Important to note that while perhaps creepy or weird, neither of those things are actionable unless there is lack of consent, which is what matters here. 
And if it's a consensual thing between them then great, I'm not the moral police, do what you like.  It doesn't seem to be the case though if a bunch of women are coming forward.  Like I said, we'll see.

And if it's a consensual thing between them then great, I'm not the moral police, do what you like.  It doesn't seem to be the case though if a bunch of women are coming forward.  Like I said, we'll see.
See my post edit. Even being creepy & weird doesn’t require consent. Men are creepy & weird towards women all the time. 

It might be a terminable offense if it’s workplace-related, but it’s not criminal. 

It isn’t illegal to be creepy & weird towards women & consent is irrelevant to that aspect. 

And women can’t take men to court simply for being creepy & weird. there’d be millions of lawsuits a day. I’m not saying that’s ok. I’m just saying. Men be creepy. 

It must literally be sexual assault for it to be actionable either civilly or criminally. 

Saying something creepy isn’t a crime, even if you’re naked and being massaged. Even popping wood in that circumstance isn’t a crime. 

It’s an important distinction to draw here. To be actionable there must be assault. And it’s a lot easier to have 16 accusers say he was being inappropriate than to have 16 accusers prove assault.

which is probably why this is such a public spectacle. That’s much easier to do and will have better results of a settlement. 

Hypothetically speaking. 

See my post edit. Even being creepy & weird doesn’t require consent. Men are creepy & weird towards women all the time. 

It might be a terminable offense if it’s workplace-related, but it’s not criminal. 

It isn’t illegal to be creepy & weird towards women & consent is irrelevant to that aspect. 

And women can’t take men to court simply for being creepy & weird. there’d be millions of lawsuits a day. I’m not saying that’s ok. I’m just saying. Men be creepy. 

It must literally be sexual assault for it to be actionable either civilly or criminally. 

Saying something creepy isn’t a crime, even if you’re naked and being massaged. Even popping wood in that circumstance isn’t a crime. 

It’s an important distinction to draw here. To be actionable there must be assault. And it’s a lot easier to have 16 accusers say he was being inappropriate than to have 16 accusers prove assault.

which is probably why this is such a public spectacle. That’s much easier to do and will have better results of a settlement. 

Hypothetically speaking. 
So is rubbing your genitals on another person intentionally without consent, by a legal definition, sexual assualt? Because that is what a lot of them are alleging.

One of these stories is way off base. Either old man mcnair doesnt know how the kids hook up nowadays and concocted this story to try to punish him, or watson really is a deviant and also not very smart.
Being dumb and deviant isn’t illegal though. 

Always have to circle back to that. 

Sexual assault is illegal, and very serious. It will have to be proved that any sexual contact was non-consensual. 

That’s really the long and short of it. 

If it was a consensual rub & tug, then it’s a form of prostitution & both parties might be in minor jeopardy. 

I think it’s going to be very difficult to prove assault for what took place behind closed doors. Even if it’s 16 she saids to 1 he said, that’s 16x sexual assault will have to be proved. The only time that ratio matters is in the court of public opinion. “Well if 16 women are saying it...” kinda thing. 

And it’ll be even tougher to prove if these aren’t certified healthcare professionals. 

Again; again; again: I am not alleging any of this. I’m looking at what we know and what I know of the legal standards of proof, I think it’s gonna be tough. 

Watson is already heading off the fact that one or more likely has his DNA by saying “consensual”’as opposed to “I didn’t do it”. 

Being dumb and deviant isn’t illegal though. 

Always have to circle back to that. 

Sexual assault is illegal, and very serious. It will have to be proved that any sexual contact was non-consensual. 

That’s really the long and short of it. 

If it was a consensual rub & tug, then it’s a form of prostitution & both parties might be in minor jeopardy. 

I think it’s going to be very difficult to prove assault for what took place behind closed doors. Even if it’s 16 she saids to 1 he said, that’s 16x sexual assault will have to be proved. The only time that ratio matters is in the court of public opinion. “Well if 16 women are saying it...” kinda thing. 

And it’ll be even tougher to prove if these aren’t certified healthcare professionals. 

Again; again; again: I am not alleging any of this. I’m looking at what we know and what I know of the legal standards of proof, I think it’s gonna be tough. 

Watson is already heading off the fact that one or more likely has his DNA by saying “consensual”’as opposed to “I didn’t do it”. 
Which is another reason why this might be playing out in civil court.

In general...

Civil v Criminal

One is a payday. One sees the individual potentially face just freedom-restricting consequences for law breaking activity. 

If this guy is an actual sexual menace, how and why would this not be criminal and why would anyone not want him behind bars for it?

I don't get it. How is this ONLY civil?

Last edited by a moderator:
In general...

Civil v Criminal

One is a payday. One sees the individual potentially face just freedom-restricting consequences for law breaking activity. 

If this guy is an actual sexual menace, how and why would this not be criminal and why would anyone not want him behind bars for it?

Likely because there is no benefit to the women.......unless they are now threatening police reports to help with the settlement.  

Also, good luck putting someone in jail for this.  Someone rich with no record.

In general...

Civil v Criminal

Exactly!!

Only interested in the cash. Which raises even more flags. When OJ did “his thing” it defaulted to a criminal trial. The Goldman’s wanted OJ put away. Only after they lost did they seek Justice civilly. Shouldn’t that be the main interest?? To get Deshaun put away if he’s such an evil predator. 

Likely because there is no benefit to the women.......unless they are now threatening police reports to help with the settlement.  

Also, good luck putting someone in jail for this.  Someone rich with no record.
isn't someone being incarcerated (or at least confirmed as one w other repercussions) for sexual deviancy a benefit?

As far as I know Watson is making that claim as well as claiming he has several non-sexual encounters with massage therapist who will testify as such.
"I didn't do it EVERY time, so I didn't do it anytime!"  

"Oh, except for the times they consented, which was every time I tried it!"

zoonation said:
"I didn't do it EVERY time, so I didn't do it anytime!"  

"Oh, except for the times they consented, which was every time I tried it!"
That’s probably his best defense.

I mean, if it was you being accused how would you handle it? 

That’s probably his best defense.

I mean, if it was you being accused how would you handle it? 
It may be his best defense, but I am not buying it at all.  "here are some girls who say I didn't rub my junk on them.  So, therefore, I never did it to anyone".  Not at all persuasive.  Especially when you throw in the "Oh, by the way, I do proposition many massage therapy women and they all loved it".  I mean, come on.

I would not be at all surprised if some of them went for it.  Imagine how many times he has done this?  But I also have no doubt several did not and now they are all lining up.  Also, it is not okay to ask by wiping it out and touching her with it.

Soulfly3 said:
In general...

Civil v Criminal

Not an attorney, but I see it this way: Each of these cases comes down to he said/she said with no other physical evidence of what he actually did (or didn't do) in the massage room. From a criminal case standpoint, this makes it very easy to arrive at reasonable doubt. I think most prosecutors would be very reluctant to actually make a criminal charge in these cases. That does not mean that Deshaun did not do what the plaintiffs said he did. That is why it sucks to be a woman in this day and age and be sexually assaulted in some way. Not only do you suffer the assault, but then it is difficult to punish the perpetrator. Even with the metoo movement, things are still stacked against women.

It may be his best defense, but I am not buying it at all.  "here are some girls who say I didn't rub my junk on them.  So, therefore, I never did it to anyone".  Not at all persuasive.  Especially when you throw in the "Oh, by the way, I do proposition many massage therapy women and they all loved it".  I mean, come on.

I would not be at all surprised if some of them went for it.  Imagine how many times he has done this?  But I also have no doubt several did not and now they are all lining up.  Also, it is not okay to ask by wiping it out and touching her with it.
I don’t disagree with any of this, especially the last part (except the spelling of whipping, but that’s just picking nits) - but what matters is what can be proved in a court of law, if this gets that far.

Watson’s defense is basically that any sexual encounter alleged was consensual.  IMO he has to do this because it’s obvious at this point that there’s towels, robes, underwear or tissues with Watson’s DNA on it/them. So he has to make a claim of consensual contact. 

For instances where there is no physical evidence, his best defense is to deny deny deny that anything untoward happened. The burden of proof is on the accuser(s). 

This is his only viable strategy, IMO. And it’s not bad, as strategies go. 

Soulfly3 said:
isn't someone being incarcerated (or at least confirmed as one w other repercussions) for sexual deviancy a benefit?
To those women?  Maybe, maybe not.  

Leverage is much more beneficial.  There is more money to be had if Watson can continue his career, not blow all his money on lawyers and receive no future millions.  

I don’t disagree with any of this, especially the last part (except the spelling of whipping, but that’s just picking nits) - but what matters is what can be proved in a court of law, if this gets that far.

Watson’s defense is basically that any sexual encounter alleged was consensual.  IMO he has to do this because it’s obvious at this point that there’s towels, robes, underwear or tissues with Watson’s DNA on it/them. So he has to make a claim of consensual contact. 

For instances where there is no physical evidence, his best defense is to deny deny deny that ajutjnt happened. The burden of proof is on the accuser(s). 

This is his only viable strategy, IMO. And it’s not bad, as strategies go. 
I don't think it is that simple.  I suspect that the women, who are actual massage therapists, will be given the benefit of the doubt that it is completely abnormal for a patient to whip out his erect pecker.  Which, of course it is.  

I don't think it is that simple.  I suspect that the women, who are actual massage therapists, will be given the benefit of the doubt that it is completely abnormal for a patient to whip out his erect pecker.  Which, of course it is.  
That’s what’s challenging here. Proof is what matters, not what’s alleged to have happened.

Men sometimes get elections during massage. Even with a professional massage therapist. 

That’s not illegal. It’s awkward, but not illegal. 

Propositioning the women is morally questionable, but also not illegal. 

Pushing one’s junk on a woman is totally illegal.

But that would need to be proven. (Proved?) whatever

And to your point about “actual massage therapists”, I’ve said similar. It goes to their credibility if they are licensed sports massage therapists, and IMO if a number of them are and make similar claims, it hurts Watson’s chances. But right now we have no idea if that’s the case. 

If it turns out that they aren’t licensed certified massage therapists, it’s going to be much more difficult for their case. 

As some have suggested, this could be a civil thing & then it becomes an extended PR battle. I’m not talking about that stuff. I’m talking about the standard of proof needed if it goes to court, or if the police open an investigation. 

So, by opting solely on civil, 15 of 15 women decided this criminal should not be punished by imprisonment, but only financially?

Can they go civil then criminal?

I'm sorry, but if this guy is a criminal, he should br tried as one. Not just pay a few women off, no?

So, by opting solely on civil, 15 of 15 women decided this criminal should not be punished by imprisonment, but only financially?

I'm sorry, but if this guy is a criminal, he should br tried as one. Not just pay a few women off, no?
From your perspective, I guess.

From their perspective, possibly not.  Still a lot of ways this can go.  It's been what, a week?

Key to note civil is a choice anyone can make. Anyone can file a civil case against anyone, it's your choice.

We don't get to decide what goes to criminal court, that's for law enforcement to decide. And part of that decision for law enforcement is if they think they can win in trial, which is considerably harder to do since criminal cases guilt is supposed to be determined beyond reasonableness of doubt while civil you just need to make a case that you think it's more likely then not someone is guilty, better then 50/50.

Key to note civil is a choice anyone can make. Anyone can file a civil case against anyone, it's your choice.

We don't get to decide what goes to criminal court, that's for law enforcement to decide. And part of that decision for law enforcement is if they think they can win in trial, which is considerably harder to do since criminal cases guilt is supposed to be determined beyond reasonableness of doubt while civil you just need to make a case that you think it's more likely then not someone is guilty, better then 50/50.
100% all of this. It’s what I’ve eluded to in the last page or so.

we, the public, might be creeped out by someone’s behavior. All circumstantial evidence we know about might point to that person being a serial creep who does creepy things.

but the only way this ends up In court is if there’s enough evidence for a DA to pursue that route. 

And the standard of proof it higher than “16 women said x about Watson”.  They need evidence.

I believe it would be very difficult to prove anything here. And in our system of justice theres the presumption of innocence and burden of proof is on the accuser. 

Civil cases are far different. From what I understand it’s more of a crap shoot, which is why sometimes innocent people will settle out of court. 

Put yourself in their shoes for a minute.  Maybe they do want him to be criminally punished, whether that be jail time or otherwise, but are told that it is very unlikely for this to occur.  How do you then exact some sort of punishment on him?  A financial punishment, outing his behavior in a legal setting where everything gets recorded, maybe making enough publicity that it curbs his behavior or is high enough profile that other massage therapists know the risks.  All those are perfectly understandable reasons imo.

Put yourself in their shoes for a minute.  Maybe they do want him to be criminally punished, whether that be jail time or otherwise, but are told that it is very unlikely for this to occur.  How do you then exact some sort of punishment on him?  A financial punishment, outing his behavior in a legal setting where everything gets recorded, maybe making enough publicity that it curbs his behavior or is high enough profile that other massage therapists know the risks.  All those are perfectly understandable reasons imo.
the same way it's unlikely that 15 women are lying, id find it equally as unlikely that one of 15 doesn't have a decent enough case to prive it criminally. 

It just feels off, in its entirety. But maybe this is how it all works, i legitimately dont know. But doesn't feel right

Got an offer for the 2.05 in a devy league where most of the elite rookie players are are already on a roster.  i pseudo responded, I was expecting this sooner.  I guess it doesn't hurt to try :)

What if the women are choosing a civil case simply because they want Watson called out for his creepy behavior?  Same reason a lot of women have spoken up during the MeToo movement.

Yea, they really got ahold of both those guys, after decades of both of them acting with complete impunity.  
Your example kind of prove the point why you go civil.  
Not to mention that Cosby is in no way analogous to what Watson is being accused of. Not that the accusations against Watson are awesome, but he’s not being accused of drugging and raping anyone.

What if the women are choosing a civil case simply because they want Watson called out for his creepy behavior?  Same reason a lot of women have spoken up during the MeToo movement.
that's fair - im just asking questions because it doesnt make sense to me.

if all they want is for him to be a known creep and pay up some $ - bodes well for fantasy reasons. he probably won't miss much (if any) time, and life goes on...

but you know... still think a criminal should be criminally charged, but whatever.

the same way it's unlikely that 15 women are lying, id find it equally as unlikely that one of 15 doesn't have a decent enough case to prive it criminally. 

It just feels off, in its entirety. But maybe this is how it all works, i legitimately dont know. But doesn't feel right
I was just reading on a Houston Texans forum that 2 woman are leaving the civil suit and are filing criminal charges.  We’ll see if this is true or not soon. 

I was just reading on a Houston Texans forum that 2 woman are leaving the civil suit and are filing criminal charges.  We’ll see if this is true or not soon. 

That could accelerate things one way or the other. 

If they do this, and the police determine there isn’t enough to pursue criminally, it may all fall apart.

on the other hand, if police determine there is enough evidence to pursue it criminally, Watson is probably toast.

Not even close, no one said they didnt get what they deserved. They did, thanks for validating that the rich do get punished harshly.

The point was, rich people dont get punished and you just made my point for me. Thanks for your help.

When you rather get money then lock someone up. 
None of this makes sense to me, but I get the gist, I think.  

Nailing both Cosby and Weinstein didn't occur for decades, and took the kind of public pressure that came from women going public, before any kind of prosecutor acted.  Several of those womenwent to police, and got nowhere, so I don't know what fantasy world someone lives in where it's so easy for victims to see criminal justice.  Some people watch too much Law&Order SVU, I guess.

And you know, before these guys were convicted, there were a bunch of people on the internet saying these women were a bunch of failed actresses out for money.  

Not to mention that Cosby is in no way analogous to what Watson is being accused of. Not that the accusations against Watson are awesome, but he’s not being accused of drugging and raping anyone.
The crappy part about Cosby was that it was just known, a Hollywood secret many people had heard.  One comedian goes viral mention it in his act, and THAT'S what made people demand justice.  

Users who are viewing this thread