What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (2 Viewers)

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Dolphins are the "frontrunner" in Deshaun Watson trade talks, and that the Texans are seeking three first-round picks and two seconds. 

Robinson reports the Panthers, Broncos and Eagles "were also in some element of trade consideration," but that "Watson’s contractual right to approve the trade destination has weighed heavily in trade opportunities." Per Robinson, interested parties are also "angling for pick protections in any trade, to mitigate a potential NFL suspension or criminal prosecution tied to ongoing investigations by the FBI, Harris County prosecutor and Houston PD, into sexual assault allegations from multiple women." It is this last detail that makes it hard to believe any team is seriously pursuing Watson right now, or that the Texans would be maintaining such a hard line in trade talks. It would seem teams believe Watson will end up in the legal clear. Based on the publicly available facts, that is hard to believe, at least any time soon. It is also stunning it would be the Dolphins in the lead, as they have worked hard to convey a sense of being all in on Tua Tagovailoa. Acquiring Watson at anywhere close to that trade price would be an extraordinarily risky move. It is hard to believe there is a real chance this happens. 

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

, Philadelphia Eagles

, Denver Broncos

, Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter 

Aug 28, 2021, 2:33 PM ET

Very hard to read. There has to be some type of behind the scene knowledge if teams are trying. May be worth holding for your kicker and watching the news.

My best guess is nobody is making any offers
Yeah, I can't imagine mortgaging your franchise's future for a guy who may not play for you for a long time and who will also bring a PR ####show. Plus, if you're the Dolphins, you're cutting off your supposed QB of the future at the knees.

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Dolphins are the "frontrunner" in Deshaun Watson trade talks, and that the Texans are seeking three first-round picks and two seconds. 
This is preposterous. Robinson is being played by someone who has an agenda. Surprised they didn't go to Rappaport, who gets played like this all the time. 

ETA: Or maybe they did and Rappaport for the first time in his career told someone to GTFO with that nonsense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think the Dolphins made an offer just nothing like what Houston wants right now.  Flores non-denial today when he has a chance to squash this was very telling. To me at least.

But as for the Charles Robinson story which both said a trade was imminent but that Texans were not budging on their high asking price. Seems to me like he talked to both sides and just ran with the info he got from both sides and crafted a whole story out of it and he's usually better then that.

In other words he checks in Texans sources that tell him they won't budge without getting 3 #1's plus.

Then he talks to Watson's side which tells him a trade is imminent and then throws out two preferred teams of Watson's as likely.

I would imagine no one associated with the Texans remotely indicated a trade as close.

Makes no sense for Houston to sale him cheap now and makes no sense for a team to pay the premium asking price. If a team was ever so bold I'd have to assume they conducted one heck of their own investigation and feel like Watson will be cleared. Even then he's subject to missing time.

All of this is hard to believe for me. In the end while I do think the Dolphins are engaging I can't see anything done until grand jury is done at a minimum.

Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. The local sports guys have said there is a mutual interest. Of course, legalities need to be known, a deal with contingencies is what Drew Rosehaus implied on his show... would happen before game 1.

SoBeDad said:
Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. The local sports guys have said there is a mutual interest. Of course, legalities need to be known, a deal with contingencies is what Drew Rosehaus implied on his show... would happen before game 1.
Drew Rosenhaus is whose agent? Not Deshaun's, his is David Mulugheta.

I'm not trusting the Dolphins rumors. 

It just sounds a little like it could be an agent planting a story, trying to get some movement for his client.  

I don't think that for sure or anything, but man, Watson's people would certainly be motivated to get something done before the season. A longshot rumor to drum up interest from a Philly or a Denver?

Thinking about it, I think there should be several teams going after him. If I am Denver, trading two 1's for him gets you in the playoffs this year. No question. 

Thinking about it, I think there should be several teams going after him. If I am Denver, trading two 1's for him gets you in the playoffs this year. No question. 
I thought the odds of Watson playing this season at all were dropping daily. Have I missed something? Would love to see this resolved one way or the other but will he be able to play with all the off-field stuff going on?

I thought the odds of

Watson

playing this season at all were dropping daily. Have I missed something? Would love to see this resolved one way or the other but will he be able to play with all the off-field stuff going on?

That's the thing, it's dragging thru the legal system. He's not getting found guilty of anything anytime soon. If he was traded today, I cannot think of any reason he wouldn't be starting week 1. 

It just occurred to me that it only takes one NFL team to be willing to take the risk, and get a franchise guy for a discount. 

If the Texans want 3 firsts and 2 seconds for their QB who's in deep legal trouble, what would they ask for if he was legally cleared? Also, Watson's on his second contract and is well paid, so it's not like you're trading for a rookie deal cheap Herbert.

This whole 3 firsts plus is like me asking out Jessica Alba. She'll say no, but it can't hurt to ask!

I'm thinking the opposite way here.
Talk to me, doc.

I haven't followed this super close.

For discussion purposes, could you define discount?
Less than three 1st rounders. 

So that three 1s and two 2s up above, nah. Not happening. I don't believe that was a serious ask by anyone with any authority whatsoever. 

But two first round picks? Plus some other noise? Yeah. You need an owner on board with the risk, but if Watson isn't incarcerated, he makes your team relevant right away, and for years.

HOU knows he's done with them. The real question is, how much do they want this drama to go on? And if they wait him out, what they are really waiting on is this massage thing to clear up. But how long can that take? 

It's interesting to me, only because I don't know what HOU ownership is thinking. 

Ari Meirov

The #Texans are prepared to go into the season with Deshaun Watson on the 53-man roster and have him inactive every week, per

@AaronWilson_NFL. Would cost Houston $10.54M. Bottomline: GM Nick Caserio is not looking to trade a 25-year old franchise QB for 70 cents on the dollar.

That's the thing, it's dragging thru the legal system. He's not getting found guilty of anything anytime soon. If he was traded today, I cannot think of any reason he wouldn't be starting week 1. 

It just occurred to me that it only takes one NFL team to be willing to take the risk, and get a franchise guy for a discount. 

It definitely looks like Watson is clear to play right now with the main coverage stating that nothing will come from the NFL until the investigation(s) are done, which is expected to put him in the clear until 2022 calendar year. Obviously, that could change if the legal steps are completed prior... but right now he's simply benched but available to play.

Working out a conditional trade deal makes a ton of sense if there really is a team(s) interested. There are creative ways to work it out. Make a second round pick an absolute up front since he may still make it through the whole season, then tie other 1st round pick(s) to the number of games played over the next 3 seasons? Complicated, but it can be done. Seems like a ton of work just to have your fanbase get vocal about bringing in a guy that is (allegedly at least) a super creep.

It definitely looks like Watson is clear to play right now with the main coverage stating that nothing will come from the NFL until the investigation(s) are done, which is expected to put him in the clear until 2022 calendar year. Obviously, that could change if the legal steps are completed prior... but right now he's simply benched but available to play.

Working out a conditional trade deal makes a ton of sense if there really is a team(s) interested. There are creative ways to work it out. Make a second round pick an absolute up front since he may still make it through the whole season, then tie other 1st round pick(s) to the number of games played over the next 3 seasons? Complicated, but it can be done. Seems like a ton of work just to have your fanbase get vocal about bringing in a guy that is (allegedly at least) a super creep.
But not a lot of work for someone who might be the 2nd best player in the NFL under 30.

I thought the odds of Watson playing this season at all were dropping daily. Have I missed something? Would love to see this resolved one way or the other but will he be able to play with all the off-field stuff going on?

If he stays with the Texans, he will not play this year. If he gets traded, he will play, but since the Texans are still asking a very high price with a lot of question marks about Watson's ability to play over the next couple of years, no team is going to give the Texans what they want, so he will not get traded and consequently not play this season. 

It takes two teams. Houston has to be willing to give enough of a discount to the team willing to take the risk

Talk to me, doc.

I haven't followed this super close.

Less than three 1st rounders. 

So that three 1s and two 2s up above, nah. Not happening. I don't believe that was a serious ask by anyone with any authority whatsoever. 

But two first round picks? Plus some other noise? Yeah. You need an owner on board with the risk, but if Watson isn't incarcerated, he makes your team relevant right away, and for years.

HOU knows he's done with them. The real question is, how much do they want this drama to go on? And if they wait him out, what they are really waiting on is this massage thing to clear up. But how long can that take? 

It's interesting to me, only because I don't know what HOU ownership is thinking. 
Well the criminal case was sent to the grand jury so if he’s indicted then there’s the whole issue of the criminal trial. If the grand jury does not indict that would be favorable but it doesn’t make the civil actions filed against him go away.

Right now Watson is schedule for a deposition in January or February in the civil litigation. While the case(s) could settle at any time generally speaking usually counsel will wait until after the depositions have taken place.

Im only guessing but I think if anything is still open by next Week the NFL will put Watson on the Exempt list and they wouldn’t want to deal with the PR of Watson taking the field. Since he’d get paid while on it, I think Watson would be happy to accept that fate.

Well the criminal case was sent to the grand jury so if he’s indicted then there’s the whole issue of the criminal trial. If the grand jury does not indict that would be favorable but it doesn’t make the civil actions filed against him go away.

Right now Watson is schedule for a deposition in January or February in the civil litigation. While the case(s) could settle at any time generally speaking usually counsel will wait until after the depositions have taken place.

Im only guessing but I think if anything is still open by next Week the NFL will put Watson on the Exempt list and they wouldn’t want to deal with the PR of Watson taking the field. Since he’d get paid while on it, I think Watson would be happy to accept that fate.
From what I remember reading, the league generally waits for a criminal investigation to be completed before interviewing the people involved. So from the criminal side of things, I don't believe they have approached the women that filed criminal complaints, just those that filed civil complaints. And the case / grand jury likely won't even be heard until the football season is over. So the thought process was that it would be covering new ground to place Watson on the Commissioner's List at this stage.

That could still happen, but the problem there is HOU would have to pay a player to NOT be available to play football. No matter what, the Texans are in a terrible spot. Watson is refusing to play for them, he may not be available to play anyway, and trading him would both be close to impossible (and they wouldn't get much back for him at this point). IMO, the best thing HOU could do is suspend Watson for conduct detrimental to the team, but there is a limit as to how long they could do that (I think it's 4 weeks). But that at least would save them $2.5 million.

From what I remember reading, the league generally waits for a criminal investigation to be completed before interviewing the people involved. So from the criminal side of things, I don't believe they have approached the women that filed criminal complaints, just those that filed civil complaints. And the case / grand jury likely won't even be heard until the football season is over. So the thought process was that it would be covering new ground to place Watson on the Commissioner's List at this stage.

That could still happen, but the problem there is HOU would have to pay a player to NOT be available to play football. No matter what, the Texans are in a terrible spot. Watson is refusing to play for them, he may not be available to play anyway, and trading him would both be close to impossible (and they wouldn't get much back for him at this point). IMO, the best thing HOU could do is suspend Watson for conduct detrimental to the team, but there is a limit as to how long they could do that (I think it's 4 weeks). But that at least would save them $2.5 million.
Wasn’t Peterson placed on the Exempt list? I don’t think his criminal investigation was completed before that.

I think Houston said he would be inactive each week while this was going on, so either way they’d need to pay him.

Wasn’t Peterson placed on the Exempt list? I don’t think his criminal investigation was completed before that.

I think Houston said he would be inactive each week while this was going on, so either way they’d need to pay him.
Having him inactive each week is also a potential issue. IIRC, the new CBA limited teams and what they can do, and the max might be 4 weeks for having a player inactive. Maybe they can skirt that by giving him a bogus injury. At some point the player's union could get involved, although Watson would have some pretty big cojones to file a grievance.

SO its being reported Watson wasn't willing to waive his trade clause to be moved to the Eagles. IF that's true, thank you from this Washington football fan! :)

The Texans should start Watson or trade him for whatever they can get.

It's ridiculous to bench him while he's not injured or suspended.

Honestly though, he's showing up to practice, the Texans are choosing not to play him at this point. If he refuses to play, he should be fined accordingly. But I don't think that is exactly what's happening here.

I think Texans and Watson mutually don't want him to play.

If you are Houston you are not contending so Watson really is not helping the future. If he plays he risks injury which hampers ability to trade him.

Lastly by not playing Watson the Texans will be able to  distance themselves from Watson's actions and the PR that goes into that. The minute he suits up for them in a game they lose that cover.

I think Texans and Watson mutually don't want him to play.

If you are Houston you are not contending so Watson really is not helping the future. If he plays he risks injury which hampers ability to trade him.

Lastly by not playing Watson the Texans will be able to  distance themselves from Watson's actions and the PR that goes into that. The minute he suits up for them in a game they lose that cover.
:goodposting:

Also raises the question: Does anyone actually want to see Watson out on the field at this point? Let's survey the different stakeholders:

Texans: No

Watson: No

Tyrod Taylor: No

Teams that might want to trade for him: No

NFL: Hell to the no

Culley: Probably, but we haven't seen a HC with less juice since the Browns hired Pettine as like their fifth choice a few years ago, so it doesn't really matter what he thinks

Brandin Cooks: Yes yes for the love of God, YES! Dude who's spent his career catching passes from Brees, Brady, Goff and Watson is really not looking forward to Tyrod.

I cant see how this will fly. Deactivation for 4 weeks is basically all that is allowed by the CBA unless the player is hurt or is no longer any good. I think he would have a grievance case here unless the NFL steps in with an exemption 

The above from Jason at Over the Cap.

I cant see how this will fly. Deactivation for 4 weeks is basically all that is allowed by the CBA unless the player is hurt or is no longer any good. I think he would have a grievance case here unless the NFL steps in with an exemption 

The above from Jason at Over the Cap.

To the bolded: I don't think Deshaun is going to file a grievance if he getting paid to not play for the team that he does not want to play for.

When did he refuse to play?
Didn't show up to practices the week leading up to a game in 2018.  Essentially forcing the Steelers to sit him game day.

He then refused a trade to Buffalo, and ultimately concocted a helmet issue to force his way off of the Raiders.

Didn't show up to practices the week leading up to a game in 2018.  Essentially forcing the Steelers to sit him game day.

He then refused a trade to Buffalo, and ultimately concocted a helmet issue to force his way off of the Raiders.

No that's not the same thing. He skipped practice but was available for the game.The Steeler's decided to move on without him instead.

And yes I know the other stuff but AB never refused to play in a real game.

Users who are viewing this thread