What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (3 Viewers)

I keep seeing Denver mentioned in here.  All the talk on radio here for the past few months is that they’re all in on acquiring Rodgers after this season.  

Honest question here - why is this rumor different from the 138 rumors that have been floated before?
And also, why wouldn't he be facing a minimum 8 game suspension as soon as he sets foot back in an NFL facility. 

And also, why wouldn't he be facing a minimum 8 game suspension as soon as he sets foot back in an NFL facility. 
League won't do that until the legal issues are resolved.  At worst it's Commish Exempt list until then. 

And anyone trading for him is well aware of both the extent of the charges and what to expect from the league.

League won't do that until the legal issues are resolved.  At worst it's Commish Exempt list until then. 

And anyone trading for him is well aware of both the extent of the charges and what to expect from the league.
Unless your name is Zeke. 😂 

No legal action on him and he still got 5 or 6 game suspension for groping the girl in public that he was sleeping with. 

Where does his redraft value and keeper value land here?  Is he a top 5 QB this year?  Next?

Drop Trey Lance to pick up Watson?  Lance has seemingly very little redraft value this year, but in a keeper format he's worth a hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finding it hard to predict what the NFL will do if he's traded and activated.  22 women suing him and claiming harassment is unlike any other case we've seen.  Every situation is unique and I don't think a lack of criminal charges automatically means he won't be put on the exempt list or even suspended.

Where does his redraft value and keeper value land here?  Is he a top 5 QB this year?  Next?

Drop Trey Lance to pick up Watson?  Lance has seemingly very little redraft value this year, but in a keeper format he's worth a hold.
I would definitely value Watson over Lance in redraft at this point. Byes are starting to happen and Lance still isn't their QB1 other than because of injuries. If he isn't a bye week filler yet, does he ever supplant your QB1 even if he starts to get into a groove later this year? Said differently, would you trust a "he's finally maybe emerging" Lance to bench a Stafford, Brady, or other decent to good QB1? Watson could be that player as he's shown, so I reach for the opportunity if I can find a way to get him onto my roster at this point.

Wouldn't even think to roster him in redraft unless I was committed from the outset of the season to stream QBs all year and it's been a struggle. 

Figure he needs a couple weeks to get with the program, couple weeks to get in a groove, and then it's like week 11...and will he be the D. Watson from two years ago? I don't know.

Grabbing him right as the bye madness starts seems as logical as picking up Jeff Wilson 4 weeks ago.

Didn't stop them with Ray Rice. I would think they would be out in front of these things for image perception. 

I would definitely value Watson over Lance in redraft at this point. Byes are starting to happen and Lance still isn't their QB1 other than because of injuries. If he isn't a bye week filler yet, does he ever supplant your QB1 even if he starts to get into a groove later this year? Said differently, would you trust a "he's finally maybe emerging" Lance to bench a Stafford, Brady, or other decent to good QB1? Watson could be that player as he's shown, so I reach for the opportunity if I can find a way to get him onto my roster at this point.
I guess I never would have relied on Lance more than a bye week filler for this year.  My whole idea for holding Lance was as a keeper selection for next year.  But you're right, he hasn't shown much, Shanny is committed to Jimmy for now.  It would take a Jimmy injury again to even give Lance another shot.  And then would I really be all that enthused about spending a keeper pick on an unproven but high potential QB?  At least with Watson, we know he can perform.  Assuming he doesn't get suspended...

I cannot fathom how in the this day and age of outrage that the NFL would allow Watson on one of their fields until these allegations are reconciled legally. One or three accusations, maybe. 22, no freakin way IMO.

That said, if you have an open roster spot and a barren wire, go for it for a couple days/weeks to see if you hit a pot.

Didn't stop them with Ray Rice. I would think they would be out in front of these things for image perception. 
I’m sure you remember that they gave Rice a token suspension after the investigation. It was only when the security footage showed up on TMZ that he was placed into the guillotine. 

Wouldn't even think to roster him in redraft unless I was committed from the outset of the season to stream QBs all year and it's been a struggle. 

Figure he needs a couple weeks to get with the program, couple weeks to get in a groove, and then it's like week 11...and will he be the D. Watson from two years ago? I don't know.

Grabbing him right as the bye madness starts seems as logical as picking up Jeff Wilson 4 weeks ago.
i picked up Jeff Wilson 4 weeks ago!  (added directly to the IR slot!)

Some us are playing Taylor Heinicke, Two Gloves Bridgewater, Carson Wentz, and Mac Jones during the bye weeks.  If Watson hits the field, I'll take him even if he's only initially 70% of his old self.

I’m sure you remember that they gave Rice a token suspension after the investigation. It was only when the security footage showed up on TMZ that he was placed into the guillotine. 
Yes and they had a #### storm of bad PR after that. I don't think they want that again. 

I cannot fathom how in the this day and age of outrage that the NFL would allow Watson on one of their fields until these allegations are reconciled legally. One or three accusations, maybe. 22, no freakin way IMO.
This is why you can't compare his situation to Rice or Hunt. (To be fair, you also can't compare him to Aaron Hernandez or Rae Carruth, who were a million times worse.) As bad as what Rice and Hunt did was, they could at least ascribe their actions to a moment of anger that they were genuinely sorry about. Some people will never forgive them, but enough people clearly will, especially as we get further away from the incidents and they are not repeated. Hell, even Big Ben, who was accused of rape on two different occasions, seems to have rehabbed his legacy over the past decade, mostly because he got married and seems to have settled down. 

But Watson isn't just accused of drunken sexual assaults, he's accused of being a sexual predator. The way the victims described his behavior, it sounds sociopathic. There's no coming back from that. If he came out tomorrow and apologized profusely, would anyone take him seriously? Could you imagine at any point during the rest of his life cheering for him?

So yeah, I agree that the NFL will find a way to prevent him from ever stepping on the field until this is resolved, and probably not even then. Best case for Watson is probably a Vick-type of scenario, where he gets punished, goes away for awhile, and then shows the appropriate level of humility as he tries to come back. But even there, I'm not so sure. As awful as it is to kill dogs, I suspect that, for the vast majority of people, sexual predation is far more unforgivable.

What is to say “Time served” for the missed games this season won’t be part/most of the suspension he is tagged with for his behavior?  Maybe Houston Texans are playing that as part of the “heated trade rumors” coming out 2 weeks before the deadline??

If he settles his “22 cases” out of court and the NFL has little real evidence other than the already completed interviews, what does the Commissioners Exempt list serve??  PR ?  Image of a “We care” approach & personal conduct policy that is unpredictable and inconsistent?  
I have no clue what will happen. None of us do. With that said, I picked him up for 2023 goal. I can hold him. I have little else at QB (Wenzel, Mills, Ryan).

What is to say “Time served” for the missed games this season won’t be part/most of the suspension he is tagged with for his behavior?  Maybe Houston Texans are playing that as part of the “heated trade rumors” coming out 2 weeks before the deadline??

If he settles his “22 cases” out of court and the NFL has little real evidence other than the already completed interviews, what does the Commissioners Exempt list serve??  PR ?  Image of a “We care” approach & personal conduct policy that is unpredictable and inconsistent?  
I have no clue what will happen. None of us do. With that said, I picked him up for 2023 goal. I can hold him. I have little else at QB (Wenzel, Mills, Ryan).
I could see that as being the best case scenario.  If that happens I could see him possibly playing next year.  

Non-football fans don't think of him much now.  If he gets traded (especially in a blockbuster deal) he will be back in mainstream media.  There will be a big uproar.  It will take a while for that to calm down.  That is why I don't see him playing this year.

The NFL has never put a player on exempt list that was not facing criminal charges and multiple reports have continued to come out during course of this that they plan to do nothing with Watson until at least the criminal investigation is complete.

He's going to get traded and he's going to play for his new team this year.
True but just because they haven't doesn't mean they can't or won't.

Goodell has broad authority under the personal conduct policy to prevent anyone from stepping onto the field if they exhibit "conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL" 

In here we can debate whether or not Watson's actions truly fall under that policy but if they say it does at 280 Park Ave then it does.

Jon Gruden chose to retire but his situation gives a pretty clear barometer of what the NFL can expect public reaction to be if Watson hits the field before his legal issues are resolved.

Yes. Exactly. 💯

Right, wrong or otherwise the Gruden situation defines a pretty clear expectation for what public reaction will likely be with Deshaun if he takes the field again.

It is virtually impossible (perhaps literally?) to imagine a scenario where the NFL will tolerate "sexual assault allegations" being the lead story before, during & after every Miami Dolphins game.

Chris Roling@Chris_Roling

The Dolphins would currently hold the second overall pick had they not traded it. And their reaction is to cough up even more for Deshaun Watson?

The Dolphins would currently hold the second overall pick had they not traded it. And their reaction is to cough up even more for Deshaun Watson?

Wow, I haven't really followed the Dolphins action on all those picks Houston gave them plus their current bounty but really sounds like they blundered it.  I thought they were sitting on a bright future at one point.  

To those that say it's to early to give up on him I would ask what's the trait you've seen from him that is special or elite? I just don't think it's to early to say that while Tua might have some intangibles and leadership ability that makes him a solid NFL starting QB  he's just not elite and when you get a shot to get a proven young elite QB you take it. I think he's always going to be in that QB20+ range myself.

If this is all true of sending Watson to Miami, and I think it is, I'm less surprised that Miami is moving on from Tua as I am that Philly did not make the winning offer due to the capital they possess. How much Watson's trade veto power played a part in that is something I'd be curious to find out in time.

The rumor is that Deshaun would veto a trade to Philly. If true, not much Philly can do after that. Like you said, based on the draft capital they have, their need at QB, and their willingness to take on the bad PR of a controversial QB (Vick), I think the only thing preventing Deshaun from going to Philly is the no-trade clause.

And 3.04 in the trade-up for Liam Eichenberg goes to the NYG. The Dolphins schedule get easier, so I expect the Philly pick to be about 1.04 to 1.07 based on a few more wins although games vs ATL, NYJ (x2) and HOU will hurt their SOS.

I  think if a trade happens now, it is very likely the following things are in place : 1)Deshaun has a settlement worked out in his civil suits. 2) The league is aware of this settlement and has told Miami what the consequences will be for Deshaun when they acquire him. Without those two things in place, I don't see how Miami would make a trade without conditions, and I don't think the Texans will go for a trade with conditions.

I speculate that a deal now would cost the Dolphins two 1sts and a second, and also a second that they receive from a 3rd team for Tua, which they would send onto the Texans. Nothing to base this on, just pure conjecture.

Someone explain to me how Tua is so bad they would give up a lot for Watson considering his situation.  Has Tua had a chance to develop?  Why so impatient?  I thought his numbers last week were decent.  He completed 70% of his passes and 2 TDs.

Someone explain to me how Tua is so bad they would give up a lot for Watson considering his situation.  Has Tua had a chance to develop?  Why so impatient?  I thought his numbers last week were decent.  He completed 70% of his passes and 2 TDs.
Vs a bad JAX defense. He'll get a chance to prove that he's improved from last year in the next 10 weeks.

The head coach and GM wanted no part of Tua, he was forced down their throats by ownership.  They've treated him as a boil needing to be lanced ever since.

The head coach and GM wanted no part of Tua, he was forced down their throats by ownership.  They've treated him as a boil needing to be lanced ever since.
Sounds like a coach and GM problem to me.  I don't own any shares of Tua, but it is premature to write him off and frankly, he hasn't looked bad.  I remember Peyton Manning threw 15 INTs his rookie year.  Not saying Tua is Peyton, but to write Tua off after last year is stupid.  He was coming off a horrible injury in college.

JohnnyU said:
Sounds like a coach and GM problem to me.  I don't own any shares of Tua, but it is premature to write him off and frankly, he hasn't looked bad.  I remember Peyton Manning threw 15 INTs his rookie year.  Not saying Tua is Peyton, but to write Tua off after last year is stupid.  He was coming off a horrible injury in college.
You aren't getting it.  They didn't write him off after last year, they wrote him off after seeing his college resume.  And so did a LOT of other teams.

If the owner doesn't let the GM do his job, it's the GM's problem?

You aren't getting it.  They didn't write him off after last year, they wrote him off after seeing his college resume.  And so did a LOT of other teams.

I suppose I don't see how his college resume was bad.  Perhaps I need to go back and look at his college play more.  I thought he had star potential.  What is so bad about his play from college?

I suppose I don't see how his college resume was bad.  Perhaps I need to go back and look at his college play more.  I thought had star potential.  What is so bad about his play from college?
I don't watch college football, I'm just going off of what I've heard reported about the guy.  He was a flat-out DND for a very large number of teams.

Well either stand up to the owner and don't pick him or make the best of it and give him a chance when you do. I find your stance pretty funny. 

I also find it funny that anybody thinks Watson is strolling back onto the field. I could easily see him not playing this year or next. There's 22 women against him, they aren't all lying. This is going to take a long time to resolve.

You saying Ross is a meddling owner? 

That's the injury.
I'm not convinced it was only the injury.  It could be the litany of injuries, but it could also be that his mechanics aren't ideal and may not have the other intangibles that teams are looking for these days.

I drafted Tua in several of my dynasty leagues and have been stubborn about admitting I was wrong.  I was wrong.

You saying Ross is a meddling owner? 
Others are saying that, yes.

“Numerous personnel men and coaches around the league have heard, dating back to last season, that Flores would have preferred to select Justin Herbert over Tagovailoa, although team and league sources say general manager Chris Grier consults with Flores on all big personnel moves and in general tries to provide the personnel the coaches covet. Regardless, Flores was quick to hook Tagovailoa from games his rookie season, injuries have been a problem for the passer since his time at Alabama, and the Dolphins have done considerable work on Watson, with owner Stephen Ross quite intrigued by the quarterback, sources said”.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tua-tagovailoas-stint-on-injured-reserve-comes-at-inopportune-time-for-dolphins-2020-first-round-pick/

RC94 said:
I'm finding it hard to predict what the NFL will do if he's traded and activated.  22 women suing him and claiming harassment is unlike any other case we've seen.  Every situation is unique and I don't think a lack of criminal charges automatically means he won't be put on the exempt list or even suspended.
Anyone thinking he won’t get suspended doesn’t understand the league in 2021. Or thinks they know more than we do. 

greyhorse said:
Some us are playing Taylor Heinicke, Two Gloves Bridgewater, Carson Wentz, and Mac Jones during the bye weeks.  If Watson hits the field, I'll take him even if he's only initially 70% of his old self.
Yep. Dynasty, I’ve started biscuit, Lance, and Davis Mills while Watson sits on my bench. Superflex, could have started Hines or gage 🤷 my season isn’t going too hot right now. 

I suppose I don't see how his college resume was bad.  Perhaps I need to go back and look at his college play more.  I thought he had star potential.  What is so bad about his play from college?
He played alright but he was surrounded by future pro bowl players.  
i still like tua 🤷 will buy low if he’s dealt. He doesn’t seem all that low in my leagues. 

Nothing. You’re right he did have star potential but the wind is blowing in the anti-Tua direction right now so lots of MMQBs are jumping on the bandwagon. 

He is still virtually a rookie less than 2 years removed from a horrible injury. It’s just too soon to give this to the jury yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread