What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (4 Viewers)

Let's assume the trade goes thru and he is in MIA tomorrow.  There is no way he can step in on Sunday and lead that team.  What is a realistic timeline where he is able to be a competent QB in their system with their personnel?   Is one full week of practice enough?  Does the team have to play games letting Tua hold the job a few weeks and bring Watson in when they are losing?  Never seen anything like this.

I grabbed him off the waiver wire and if they do trade him I think I roll him over if it happens while we can still trade.  I got Hurts and despite the reality he isn't a great QB in real life he continues to churn out great FF numbers and I don't see anyone there to replace him.

Let's assume the trade goes thru and he is in MIA tomorrow.  There is no way he can step in on Sunday and lead that team.  What is a realistic timeline where he is able to be a competent QB in their system with their personnel?   Is one full week of practice enough?  Does the team have to play games letting Tua hold the job a few weeks and bring Watson in when they are losing?  Never seen anything like this.

I grabbed him off the waiver wire and if they do trade him I think I roll him over if it happens while we can still trade.  I got Hurts and despite the reality he isn't a great QB in real life he continues to churn out great FF numbers and I don't see anyone there to replace him.
I was in the same boat in one league with Hurts. All the talk that PHI should get in on the Watson frenzy or Minshew will replace him or his accuracy is below par and he's not a good NFL QB lead me to take a flier on Watson. I then looked at the waiver wire and someone dropped Cousins last week because of his bye. Well, needless to say I came to my senses and dropped Watson for Cousins. A bird in the hand vs nothing in the bush. 

Many "good" QB's will get you 18-20 points, not many are consistent upside mid 20's +. Watson falls into that upper tier in the right situation. Hurts doing it with smoke and mirrors and too be honest, he scares me cuz he's gotta have a dud or two where he gets like 10-15. 

Just realized looking at the schedule that Miami and Houston play each other next Sunday on the 7th. My guess is IF he is traded it won’t be made official until the last minute on the 2nd to avoid having Watson start against Houston (it’s in Miami though and Houston is all about the tank, but just seems like majorly bad PR for fans and teammates.) Miami then has a short week playing on Thursday night against Baltimore. So quite possibly we wouldn’t see him until week 11 on Sunday 21st @ the Jets.

At least that would make sense, nothing the Texans do lately makes a ton of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realized looking at the schedule that Miami and Houston play each other next Sunday on the 7th. My guess is IF he is traded it won’t be made official until the last minute on the 2nd to avoid having Watson start against Houston (it’s in Miami though and Houston is all about the tank, but just seems like majorly bad PR for fans and teammates.) Miami then has a short week playing on Thursday night against Baltimore. So quite possibly we wouldn’t see him until week 11 on Sunday 21st @ the Jets.

At least that would make sense, nothing the Texans do lately makes a ton of sense.

Yeah seems like he won't play many games.  Yet, I may need someone if Hurts gets hurt or suddenly can't make any throws.  I could always use a roster spot as there is always someone I want.  LOL

Tua Tagovailoa Will Be Dolphins' Starter For Rest Of '21, Per Flores

Dolphins coach Brian Flores says Tua Tagovailoa will be the team's starting quarterback for the remainder of the 2021 season, barring injury. (Marcel Louis-Jacques)

Tua Tagovailoa Will Be Dolphins' Starter For Rest Of '21, Per Flores

Dolphins coach Brian Flores says Tua Tagovailoa will be the team's starting quarterback for the remainder of the 2021 season, barring injury. (Marcel Louis-Jacques)

Assuming Flores is speaking truthfully, that doesn't necessarily rule out a trade for Watson by the trade deadline. First, Tua could be dealt as part of the deal, and thus what Flores says doesn't apply anymore because Tua isn't on the team. Second, while Goodell has said he won't put Watson on the exempt list, I wouldn't be surprised if the following happens if the Watson deal goes through: Deal is made, Deshaun announces settlement of his lawsuits, and the league suspends Deshaun for the remainder of 2021 due to his alleged behavior in the settled lawsuits. Miami and Deshaun would then head into 2022 with nothing hanging over their heads.

Assuming Flores is speaking truthfully, that doesn't necessarily rule out a trade for Watson by the trade deadline. First, Tua could be dealt as part of the deal, and thus what Flores says doesn't apply anymore because Tua isn't on the team. Second, while Goodell has said he won't put Watson on the exempt list, I wouldn't be surprised if the following happens if the Watson deal goes through: Deal is made, Deshaun announces settlement of his lawsuits, and the league suspends Deshaun for the remainder of 2021 due to his alleged behavior in the settled lawsuits. Miami and Deshaun would then head into 2022 with nothing hanging over their heads.

Yep, I agree.  That is why I think Watson has value in keeper leagues but none in re-draft.

:goodposting:

I remain skeptical that any trade is actually going to happen. That said, for the sake of entertaining conversation:

(1) As PFT noted "Flores has made similar proclamations in the past, but hasn’t stuck to them. He called the quarterback job 'settled' when Josh Rosen replaced Ryan Fitzpatrick early in the 2019 season. Flores benched Rosen for Fitzpatrick in the next game." 

(2) As you note, it may not be an actual controversy if Watson is suspended, and posturing for Tua's mindset makes a ton of sense.

Only relevant example I can think of is when Jimmy G was traded midseason to the Niners. According to Wikipedia, he was traded at end of Oct. and didn't play for the next month, and even then it was only in relief of an injured CJ Beathard. However, the following week he was named the starter. So basically, he sat on the bench for four weeks (plus a bye).

Maybe as a more experienced QB Watson would need a shorter run-up time. But AFAIK this is a different system from what he ran in Houston (Godsey, Miami's co-OC, also served as O'Brien's OC at one point, but it was before Watson got there).

And of course, that's all assuming there's no suspension/commissioner's exempt list. 

Only relevant example I can think of is when Jimmy G was traded midseason to the Niners. According to Wikipedia, he was traded at end of Oct. and didn't play for the next month, and even then it was only in relief of an injured CJ Beathard. However, the following week he was named the starter. So basically, he sat on the bench for four weeks (plus a bye).

Maybe as a more experienced QB Watson would need a shorter run-up time. But AFAIK this is a different system from what he ran in Houston (Godsey, Miami's co-OC, also served as O'Brien's OC at one point, but it was before Watson got there).

And of course, that's all assuming there's no suspension/commissioner's exempt list. 

Yeah you confirmed it for me.  If he gets dealt I don't wait one second to see if I can exchange him for something.  Although if nothing of value I can keep him and hope in the playoffs he is in full swing and saves my bacon if Hurts gets hurt or whatever.

Yep, I agree.  That is why I think Watson has value in keeper leagues but none in re-draft.
And what is his dynasty value ? I find it hard to assess. I’m trying to move for him in a superFlex where I’m screwed at qb and the owner also  has Wilson, Prescott and a terrible team outside of that 

CBSSports.com's Jason LaCanfora reports Panthers owner David Tepper "hasn't given up hope" of trading for Deshaun Watson.

"The only reason he doesn't have Watson already is the price is too high," a source close to the situation told LaCanfora. "He's wanted him for a long time. There's still a lot of time between now and Tuesday. His patience is wearing thin." The Panthers have been in talks with the Texans for Watson over the last week. Houston's asking price for Watson "remains too high" for the Panthers' liking, according to LaCanfora, but there's an expectation that could change by Tuesday. The Panthers are reportedly willing to give up three high picks and All-Pro RB Christian McCaffrey in a package for Watson. Carolina signed McCaffrey to a contract extension last April and would trigger a $18.5 million cap hit in 2022 to trade him, which seems unlikely. Watson would also have to waive his no-trade clause to play for the Panthers. No teams have been willing to meet the Texans' price for Watson to this point, but talks with the Panthers and Dolphins should continue to heat up ahead of next week's trade deadline.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: CBSSports.com

Oct 30, 2021, 10:19 AM ET

Faust said:
CBSSports.com's Jason LaCanfora reports Panthers owner David Tepper "hasn't given up hope" of trading for Deshaun Watson.
Yes, but:

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports the Panthers "have no plans" to pursue Deshaun Watson before Tuesday's trade deadline.

The Panthers "never considered offering" Christian McCaffrey as part of a trade package, per Florio, who casts doubt on the sides making a deal this season. This conflicts with a report that Panthers owner David Tepper hasn't given up on trading for Watson. The Dolphins continue to look like the favorites for Watson, though there's a lot of moving parts here. Watson will sit out the rest of 2021 in Houston if he doesn't get traded before Tuesday's deadline. 
It's all just people throwing things at the wall. We really don't know anything still. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Texans are "prepared to keep Deshaun Watson past Tuesday's NFL trade deadline."

Watson currently faces 22 allegations of sexual misconduct but NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has said that the league doesn't yet have enough information to suspend Watson or place him on the commissioner's exempt list. Miami was the team most commonly linked to Watson but the Dolphins were reportedly not interested in paying full price for him. That was a deal-breaker as far as Texans general manager Nick Caserio was concerned. With the deadline for trades coming on Tuesday, it looks like Watson will spend the entirety of the 2021 season as a healthy scratch for the Texans.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 31, 2021, 8:46 AM ET

Appears to be a last ditch negotiating tactic to me.

Not sure what full price means to the Texans but his value is NOT what it once was.  You helped create a disgruntled player with personnel decisions and you're paying him but not playing him.  Not exactly a position of strength.

ETA: Texans need and want to move on... but it will be interesting to see how this plays out and if the Texans are willing to gamble that the market (demand) for Watson rises in the off-season. 

Nobody is giving Houston 3 1st round picks, not the Panthers, not the Dolphins, nobody. 

I think at most there is a 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd behind it, perhaps Two 1st round picks and they might not be handled in the manner Houston would like but they have zero leverage. 

If they don't move him they will be paying him $30M+ next year to sit and once players are removed for like 12 months lets say, 18-24 seems like they are never quite the same. He hasn't played any meaningful football in a while and he's going to start getting a little rusty. 

Nobody is giving Houston 3 1st round picks, not the Panthers, not the Dolphins, nobody. 

I think at most there is a 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd behind it, perhaps Two 1st round picks and they might not be handled in the manner Houston would like but they have zero leverage. 

If they don't move him they will be paying him $30M+ next year to sit and once players are removed for like 12 months lets say, 18-24 seems like they are never quite the same. He hasn't played any meaningful football in a while and he's going to start getting a little rusty. 
Watson won't turn 27 until next September. He can remove the rust during preseason. If Lance was worth 2 1sts for a trade up from 1.12 to 1.03, Watson will still be worth 3 firsts for some QB needy team, like our Miami Dolphins.  Once we know the legal and NFL ramifications. There's a good chance for no criminal charges.

Watson won't turn 27 until next September. He can remove the rust during preseason. If Lance was worth 2 1sts for a trade up from 1.12 to 1.03, Watson will still be worth 3 firsts for some QB needy team, like our Miami Dolphins.  Once we know the legal and NFL ramifications. There's a good chance for no criminal charges.
He also has a nearly 40 million dollar salary and is a huge injury risk. He should have negative trade value 

In my area we're having one of those school board recall elections on Tuesday.  Yard signs are everywhere for both sides and people are generally acting like idiots.  Either way, I'm glad it will be over on Wednesday.  That's kind of how I feel about the Deshaun Watson trade rumors at this point.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins will not trade for disgruntled Texans QB Deshaun Watson.

Miami reportedly "did due diligence" on Watson, so much so that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross received permission to speak with the disgruntled quarterback Monday night, but Houston refused to budge on their asking price — "at least three first-round draft picks, two second-round draft picks, and perhaps more" — after catching wind that Watson was trying to settle his 22 civil lawsuits in order to join another organization. Watson is thus expected to stay put with the Texans as a $10.54 million healthy scratch this year. This situation is expected to be revisited in the offseason as Watson has only agreed to waive his no-trade clause for Miami.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 2, 2021, 2:21 PM ET

FOX's Jay Glazer reports the Dolphins were willing to trade three first-rounders and two second-rounders for Deshaun Watson on the condition that Watson settle the 22 unresolved sexual assault claims against him. 

That, of course, did not happen. Glazer went on to report the Texans got cold feet about the deal because they believe they could get more once Watson settles his affairs. It remains unbelievable the degree to which teams have been willing to engage on Watson with this ugly off-the-field cloud hovering. We have no idea how close Watson's legal saga might be to ending, while we hope the Texans aren't holding their breath to beat a three first-rounder, two second-rounder offer next offseason. That deal alone would be one of the most insane in league history. Any more compensation would be truly difficult to comprehend.   

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Barry Jackson on Twitter 

Nov 11, 2021, 8:13 PM ET

FOX's Jay Glazer reports the Dolphins were willing to trade three first-rounders and two second-rounders for Deshaun Watson on the condition that Watson settle the 22 unresolved sexual assault claims against him.

Glazer went on to report the Texans got cold feet about the deal because they believe they could get more once Watson settles his affairs
How dumb are the Texans?  No way on God's green earth do the Texans get more if he settles this issue.

How dumb are the Texans?  No way on God's green earth do the Texans get more if he settles this issue.
I think the Texans would like to have some idea of the quality of the 1st and 2nd rounders. A 1.05 isn't the same as a 1.30. The Eagles 2022s are currently 1.06, 1.07, 1.14, 2.09.  That might be enough, paired with their own 1.02, 2.02 to get multiple impact players in the draft. With Miami, they'd get 1.10 (SF 1st), 2.06 in 2022 and 2 1sts in 2023, where there are lots of unknowns.

Why aren't there protected picks in NFL trades?

I think the Texans would like to have some idea of the quality of the 1st and 2nd rounders. A 1.05 isn't the same as a 1.30. The Eagles 2022s are currently 1.06, 1.07, 1.14, 2.09.  That might be enough, paired with their own 1.02, 2.02 to get multiple impact players in the draft. With Miami, they'd get 1.10 (SF 1st), 2.06 in 2022 and 2 1sts in 2023, where there are lots of unknowns.

Why aren't there protected picks in NFL trades?
Would agree with this, Miami was offering mostly unknown future picks, Texans likely preferred to wait until picks are known and more teams are in the mix to drive up the price in the offseason. 49ers traded 3 1sts and a 3rd to take Trey Lance, if Watson settles his cases he's worth considerably more than that IMO.

Would agree with this, Miami was offering mostly unknown future picks, Texans likely preferred to wait until picks are known and more teams are in the mix to drive up the price in the offseason. 49ers traded 3 1sts and a 3rd to take Trey Lance, if Watson settles his cases he's worth considerably more than that IMO.
Except Texans have very little leverage. Every team know they have to trade Watson and he gets to decide his destination. That should drive the price down. I think they’re crazy to turn down an offer like that.

But I also think Watson is not making things any easier on himself or the Texans. No matter how innocent he thinks he is I am pretty sure the public opinion on him has soured considerably. NDA or not does not change that imo. I would be seriously worried if he learned anything from this as a GM.

Except Texans have very little leverage. Every team know they have to trade Watson and he gets to decide his destination. That should drive the price down. I think they’re crazy to turn down an offer like that.

But I also think Watson is not making things any easier on himself or the Texans. No matter how innocent he thinks he is I am pretty sure the public opinion on him has soured considerably. NDA or not does not change that imo. I would be seriously worried if he learned anything from this as a GM.
Sure the Texans can't ship him to Siberia with his No Trade clause, but clearly their very little leverage means little considering Miami was reportedly already willing to offer more than what other posters have already called crazy and too much for him just a few pages ago in this thread. This is also mid-season when the price is lower too, (assuming no more bad news and settles his lawsuits) the price will only get higher in the offseason when other teams will be in the mix. The salary cap is going up considerably making his salary easier to absorb and teams can restructure and cut where they want to make things work, plus they'll get the full offseason and OTA's, preseason, etc. to get him adjusted to his new team as opposed to midway thru the active season. While supposedly he only wants Miami at the moment, there have been previous reports he'd consider other teams like the Bronco's, Carolina, Philly, etc.

I am the first person to admit that the Texans are at least a bottom five franchise based on the moves they have made over the past couple of years. Cal McNair is in over his head, and his decision to keep Jack Easterby around reflects that.

That being said, calling the Texans stupid based on reporting that is at best only partial information, and at worst possibly wrong or misleading information, is a bit premature. Glazer reported that the Texans were offered 3 1sts and 2 2nds on the condition that Deshaun settle his lawsuits. Well, the Texans don't have any control over settling the lawsuits, the Dolphins don't have any control over settling the lawsuits, and Deshaun only has partial control over settling the lawsuits. How can the Texans be stupid if they have no control over satisfying the conditions which the trade would be based on? Also, how do we know that Glazer's source is giving him complete, accurate information? Generally information gets leaked by people who want the leaked information to be presented in a certain way, that favors the party who they work for or represent.

At the end of this, the Texans may be stupid and end up getting less for Deshaun than people think they could have, however, let's wait for the outcome where they are clearly at fault before we condemn them.

Deshaun Watson's agent David Mulugheta said Watson is "confident" in how his legal situation will play out.

"We’re pretty confident how this thing plays out,” Mulugheta said. "I think people around the NFL know who Deshaun is. That’s the reason the market was still as hot as it was. He’s still one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He’ll continue to have an all-pro career moving forward." Watson's market heated up at the trade deadline, with the Panthers and Dolphins pursuing him. PFT's Mike Florio reported 18-of-22 plaintiffs were ready to settle their civil lawsuits against Watson in late October, with four holdouts keeping a deal with Miami from getting done. The NFL, who met with two of Watson's accusers and never placed him on the Commissioner's Exempt List, handling of Watson suggests the league is skeptical of the claims against him. There's no timeline or end in sight to Watson's legal battle, but more clarity on his status should come this offseason.

SOURCE: ESPN

Dec 18, 2021, 9:59 AM ET

So there are rumblings in Houston that the Texans are going to keep David Culley another year. If this is true than I think the Texans are either incompetent (which could be true) or they don't think the Deshaun situation is going to be wrapped up by the draft, and they will have to roster him into the 2022 season. The Deshaun albatross is in effect making them delay going and getting the coach they want, and thus they are going to stick with Culley.

Based on supposedly 4 of the 22 plaintiffs not wanting to settle at the trade deadline, I see no reason why they would want to settle before the Civil trial which I think could start in May. If the civil cases aren't settled, then no team is going to give what the Texans want in draft picks. If no team is going to give the Texans what they want, then they keep Deshaun until his Criminal/Civil/league matters are wrapped up.

This is going to be interesting. I'm not saying he didn't do those things, very likely did. But I also there are 22 women who all feel for it. I'm guessing some knew what they were getting into and likely even agreed to some form of "special massage". They went for a money grab and were happy to settle because they maybe don't want the messages out that might paint them in agreeing to some sort of illegal activity.

Contract includes 2023 salary & roster bonus fully guarantees in March 2022...  not sure if this is hugely consequential but it suggests they might want to have moved on by then...

Contract includes 2023 salary & roster bonus fully guarantees in March 2022...  not sure if this is hugely consequential but it suggests they might want to have moved on by then...
 I don't think that will really affect the Texans timeline. In a trade, the guaranteed contract amount and the roster bonus will move to the new team and the Texans will not have that hit their salary cap. The Texans will just have to eat any of the prorated signing bonus that is left when he is traded. In effect, in a trade, the new team will get Deshaun with guaranteed money of $35 million in 2022 (his salary) and $37 million in 2023 (his salary and roster bonus). Presumably if they are trading for him they plan to keep him through 2023 and have the salary cap space to acquire him.

Users who are viewing this thread