What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (3 Viewers)

I just wanted to post this here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bench 97.5's Lance Zierlein reports Texans executive Jack Easterby is "still making calls to agents on behalf of the team and is very much involved in the football side."

In other words, chaplain, character coach, etc. Easterby is still behaving like a football guy/general manager. Easterby and the Texans had claimed this would not be the case after Nick Caserio was hired to lead the front office. Every Texans fire over the past 18 months has originated from Easterby's office, and he seems intent on starting more. Letting a character coach essentially run the organization into the ground is one of the more baffling, surreal front office developments we have seen in North American sports this century. The Texans need to get this fixed if they are to have even a one percent chance of keeping Deshaun Watson.

- Lance Zierlein

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People keeping responding that "well BOB is gone" to the insane moves of the last 3-4 years. The problem isn't BOB, it is and always has been Easterby. Easterby doesn't like other strong voices that don't buy into what he preaches; he seemingly didn't like DeAndre Hopkins for some reason and mysteriously went out of his way to antagonize DeShaun Watson.

I just wanted to post this here

The Bench 97.5's Lance Zierlein reports Texans executive Jack Easterby is "still making calls to agents on behalf of the team and is very much involved in the football side."

In other words, chaplain, character coach, etc. Easterby is still behaving like a football guy/general manager. Easterby and the Texans had claimed this would not be the case after Nick Caserio was hired to lead the front office. Every Texans fire over the past 18 months has originated from Easterby's office, and he seems intent on starting more. Letting a character coach essentially run the organization into the ground is one of the more baffling, surreal front office developments we have seen in North American sports this century. The Texans need to get this fixed if they are to have even a one percent chance of keeping Deshaun Watson.

- Lance Zierlein

People keeping responding that "well BOB is gone" to the insane moves of the last 3-4 years. The problem isn't BOB, it is and always has been Easterby. Easterby doesn't like other strong voices that don't buy into what he preaches; he seemingly didn't like DeAndre Hopkins for some reason and mysteriously went out of his way to antagonize DeShaun Watson.
How the person that seemingly destroyed this franchise is allowed to continue to be involved at all is beyond me. 

The Athletic's Joseph Person reports NFL insiders believe "the Texans will want three first-round picks, or two first-rounders and an established player" in exchange for Deshaun Watson. 

The astronomical price for Watson makes sense after the Rams had to part with a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick to acquire Matthew Stafford from Detroit. If the Texans are willing to hold out for that kind of offer, that could narrow Watson's suitors to two or three teams. Person, who covers the Panthers, was skeptical of the team selling out to get Watson, since doing so would make it tougher to improve the team's offensive line. The Panthers would owe Teddy Bridgewater $23 million if they stay put at QB in the coming months -- an unlikely scenario by all accounts. Watson being dealt to Carolina would make D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson much sought-after players in 2021 fantasy drafts. 

RELATED: 

Teddy Bridgewater

, Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jan 31, 2021, 11:03 AM ET

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reported the Texans would want two first round draft picks, two second rounders, and two defensive starters in exchange for Deshaun Watson. 

McClain's oddly specific trade scenario is hardly a guarantee that the wretched Houston defense would improve in 2021, especially if they part ways with J.J. Watt this offseason. McClain, a longtime Houston beat reporter, said the Texans should start with the Jets, who are reportedly at the top of Watson's trade wish list. The Athletic's Joseph Person, meanwhile, said league insiders expect Houston to demand three first round picks for Watson. Probably it depends on the caliber of defensive player in question, but Person's scenario would seem to be more realistic with demand for Watson, 25, as high as any player in recent NFL history. 

RELATED: 

J.J. Watt

SOURCE: John McClain 

Jan 31, 2021, 11:25 AM ET

Does anyone here really think any team outside of Miami and NYJ have a realistic chance of landing Watson? Miami has always seemed like the best fit, and he apparently wants to go to NYJ (which more power to him, but seems like a mistake on his part). This talk about Carolina seems far fetched, as they would have a really hard time putting together a package that could beat Miami or NYJ. I know my Skins are desperate and Rivera was reportedly willing to go heavy for Stafford, but I just can’t see them with the ammo to get a deal done. SF seems too conservative with their picks to make a huge move like this, and again, they can’t really beat out Miami and NYJ. Unless Houston is absolutely determined to trade him out of conference, I just don’t see him ending up on any other team but those two AFC East options. It just comes down to who wants him more.
It’s going to take a team willing to ship a good young player at a premium position on a cheap contract in place of a 1st to compete with NY and MIA IMO. Guys with 1 year left on a contract (like Engram floated earlier) wouldn’t make much sense for a currently cap strapped team like the Texans unless it’s maybe an obvious stud. A team like CAR for example is loaded with d-line pass rushers and may not be able to pay every one of their guys in the next few years so I think they would have a shot.

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports Deshaun Watson would not veto a trade to the Jets.

Watson has requested a trade, but the Texans haven't truly listened to offers this early into the offseason. They plan to play hard ball with their franchise quarterback in hopes that he caves and shows up for the 2021 season. That plan just may not work. Dozens of teams are already lining up to make the Texans an offer for Watson, most serious offers including at least three first-rounders. The kicker in all of this is Watson actually agreeing to a trade. He has a no-trade clause that can restrict him from being traded to any team he doesn't want to play for. This source believes that the teams Watson would play for are "anywhere but Houston." Fair enough. Watson reportedly is interested in playing for coach Robert Salah, although other teams like the Dolphins could be ranked higher on his wish list. With how bad the Texans have fumbled this, it would be a surprise if Watson actually vetoed a trade destination. It really just comes down to the Texans giving in and finding the highest bidder not in the AFC South.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Feb 3, 2021, 6:29 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans are "standing firm" on QB Deshaun Watson with the goal of getting him to stay in Houston.

The Texans obviously want to mend their relationship with Watson because they will never be able to get the true value of a young, elite passer via trade. However, Watson has made his trade request public and looks willing to see if Houston will blink first in this staring contest. Houston has already been rumored to at least have offers in mind of what they will need to move Watson. These reports were that the Texans wanted either three first and a player or two first plus extra picks and players. If the rumors are true, Watson is clearly not an unmovable asset. The Jets and Dolphins are the two teams most equipped to put together deals for the star passer. Both teams have multiple first-round selections this year including a top-five pick for each team.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 7, 2021, 9:25 AM ET

Houston has time to play the game.....if Watson is still dug in by draft then they should let it go and move on for a haul.....having him sit out the year passing up much needed rebuild compensation would be brutal....

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Deshaun Watson is "intrigued" by a potential trade to the Broncos or 49ers. 

On Watson being traded to the Jets, Fowler said, "Eh, probably not," cooling the hopes of Jets fans who believed new head coach Robert Saleh could lure Watson to New York. 9News' Mike Klis, a longtime Broncos beat reporter, confirmed that league insiders have said Watson is interested in Denver as a landing spot. It would be hard to imagine the Niners not making a concerted effort to acquire Watson, who would lead an offense stacked with explosive upside. The Broncos are definitely near the top of Watson's trade wish list though. Watson in Denver would offer a massive fantasy boost for Courtland Sutton, Noah Fant, and Jerry Jeudy. The Texans continue to play hardball with their franchise QB as trade talks persist. 

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

, San Francisco 49ers

, New York Jets

SOURCE: Get Up ESPN on Twitter 

Feb 12, 2021, 10:42 AM ET

As a Texans fan that moved to Denver 5 years ago, I guess I could be okay with him being traded here.  :banned:

The problem is those two teams don't have high draft picks to offer and it'd take some degree of massive package to acquire him. Yes, Watson would upgrade those weapons, but how many of them would have to be sent to Houston for the Texans to agree to a deal?

The most likely scenario is none of these beat writers have any idea where he is going or even wants to go. This story has become pure clickbait. First NYJ was his “top” preference, and now he’s not interested? Whatever.

With Watt leaving town it’s even more likely Watson will resist going back. If Houston wants to cut their nose off to spite their face and not deal him, that’s on them. And given how dumb the people running that franchise are, that’s a distinct possibility at this point.

At the end of the day, if he hits the market, no team will be able to compete with the draft compensation and combination of players either NYJ or Miami can offer. Those have been the two most likely landing spots this entire time. As a Skins fan I would go all in for him but the reality is they, like most teams, just don’t have the assets to get it done.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABC Denver's Troy Renck confirms the Broncos will pursue Deshaun Watson if the Texans make him available. 

Knock you over with a feather, we know. Renck's confirmation came three days after ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Watson would be "intrigued" by a move to the Broncos. What seems surprising on the surface looks savvy if you dig a little deeper. The Broncos are loaded with young weapons on offense and have defensive mastermind Vic Fangio to handle his side of the ball. Although he is no longer general manager, John Elway — who sealed the deal on Peyton Manning — could also work as a selling point. Manning himself would also surely lend a hand, as well. Stay tuned. 

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Troy Renck on Twitter 

Feb 16, 2021, 10:12 PM ET

ABC Denver's Troy Renck confirms the Broncos will pursue Deshaun Watson if the Texans make him available.
The Jets, Dolphins, Steelers, Patriots, Igglz, Giants, Bears, Vikings, Browns(don't lie to yourself), Raiders, Niners, Saints, Panthers, and just about any team not holding Brady, Rodgers, Allen or Mahomes in their stable is open to pursuing Watson IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF.....that's why I hate all these BS snippets and articles from these silly writers. Anyone worth anything close to Watson, IF they were available on ANY team at ANY position than yes most organizations will want to pursue them. It's called Market Value and typically guys who are All Pro material are going to be highly sought after.

I'll even fade from Watson to the general off season in the NFL and why I usually just hit pause until around maybe the Draft weekend and then as the season is about to start because NFL camps and preseason messes a lot of people up. 

Folks, they want a 24 hour news cycle to keep you involved when there really isn't anything to report. 

Oh and Watson was spotted in and around Miami a lot in the past week and insiders say that Miami is truly the only team that has the resources to pull off the trade...but you also hear Miami is playing hard ball and doesn't want to give anything close to the King's ransom the media reports the Texans are asking for...they just released JJ Watt for NOTHING!!! What makes folks think the Texans are actually getting 3 1st Round picks plus players??? Who has that kind of resources right now, almost nobody and that's why I think Houston might be getting some lowball offers like Tua and a 1st or a 2nd, take it or leave it but we ain't giving you 2 players plus multiple 1st rounds....those discussions are not happening or ongoing according to MoP  ;)

Faust, none of that is aimed at you friend, you keep this place informed and doing exactly what it's designed for 👍  

I don't think Houston is planning on trading him. They're thinking he has a contract, he won't walk away from all that money, etc. 

Here's hoping he sticks to his guns. I hope the season starts, and he sits out 6 games, or whatever the number is to accrue another season

I think they will trade him, just need the right offer. I base that on two things.

If you really want to know good scoop on Texans side of things, and also how they feel about the various media reports that have come out,  just check this guys twitter feed: https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98   It's a burner account from someone inside the Texans, most think Caserio or Easterby. You of course can choose to believe otherwise but I've been following it a few weeks and I'm convinced.

In several different tweets that account will indicate proper compensation is needed to deal Watson, sometimes spelling out part of that compensation for instance being able to specifically draft a young QB and not take one back in a trade. So that's the first thing of the two I mentioned.

The second items is John McClain's "report" of what it would take to get Watson. If McClain is reporting what it would take to get Watson that means Houston is open to trading him and gave that info to McClain or rather made sure McClain got that info out on their behalf.

So now I think it's just a matter of seeing if someone will step up and pay what Houston wants. Again that twitter account is very telling and it will indicate some teams have no chance as they currently stand as they don't have the assets the Texans want.

I think they will trade him, just need the right offer. I base that on two things.

If you really want to know good scoop on Texans side of things, and also how they feel about the various media reports that have come out,  just check this guys twitter feed: https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98   It's a burner account from someone inside the Texans, most think Caserio or Easterby. You of course can choose to believe otherwise but I've been following it a few weeks and I'm convinced.

In several different tweets that account will indicate proper compensation is needed to deal Watson, sometimes spelling out part of that compensation for instance being able to specifically draft a young QB and not take one back in a trade. So that's the first thing of the two I mentioned.

The second items is John McClain's "report" of what it would take to get Watson. If McClain is reporting what it would take to get Watson that means Houston is open to trading him and gave that info to McClain or rather made sure McClain got that info out on their behalf.

So now I think it's just a matter of seeing if someone will step up and pay what Houston wants. Again that twitter account is very telling and it will indicate some teams have no chance as they currently stand as they don't have the assets the Texans want.
:clap:    :thumbup:    :clap:    :thumbup:    :clap:

That is interesting, good find. So the Texans want to draft a QB right now and don't want anyone else's QB in return. 

-Next one I dug up and posted sure sounds like someone is trying to make a serious point. 

JC Prepper

@JohnCPrepper98

Feb 19

Deshaun Watson and his representation believes they can force the Texans into trading the player to their predetermined destination. Nick Caserio and the Texans are just as capable of being forthright with their trade demands if Deshaun Watson decides not to be cooperative.

:clap:    :thumbup:    :clap:    :thumbup:    :clap:

That is interesting, good find. So the Texans want to draft a QB right now and don't want anyone else's QB in return. 

-Next one I dug up and posted sure sounds like someone is trying to make a serious point.
Thanks and be sure to check out the tweets&replies section where this account will basically address most media reports and detail some trade compensation. And the tweets always sound serious.

Thanks and be sure to check out the tweets&replies section where this account will basically address most media reports and detail some trade compensation. And the tweets always sound serious.
I was going to post that if you only look at the Tweets you don't get everything, much better when you slide over one to the replies part, seems like there is more info there. 

One thing I'd caution folks on is using John McClain as a source of anything credible. He used to be much more on the inside, but he's gotten further and further away. He's almost always the last reporter to get any news now and he's been all kinds of wrong in recent years too. He might be a mouthpiece as you suggest, but it seems he's unknowingly found himself in the position of gullible person who can help them spread false information to distract.

I've started to posit lately that if the Texans trade Deshaun it might be much less of a 1 to 1 trade. I've seen next to no one mention a multi-team type of deal it might take. As noted, few teams have the assets and most are in the AFC. I think the Texans would almost certainly try to get him to the NFC (Panthers/49ers) but need the compensation to match. I have outwardly wondered if there would be any possibility the Panthers could help bridge a deal to get the Texans the 1.1 from Jacksonville so they can take Lawrence. If so, that might be the domino to immediately make this "we don't want to..." flip on its head.

One thing I'd caution folks on is using John McClain as a source of anything credible. He used to be much more on the inside, but he's gotten further and further away. He's almost always the last reporter to get any news now and he's been all kinds of wrong in recent years too. He might be a mouthpiece as you suggest, but it seems he's unknowingly found himself in the position of gullible person who can help them spread false information to distract.

I've started to posit lately that if the Texans trade Deshaun it might be much less of a 1 to 1 trade. I've seen next to no one mention a multi-team type of deal it might take. As noted, few teams have the assets and most are in the AFC. I think the Texans would almost certainly try to get him to the NFC (Panthers/49ers) but need the compensation to match. I have outwardly wondered if there would be any possibility the Panthers could help bridge a deal to get the Texans the 1.1 from Jacksonville so they can take Lawrence. If so, that might be the domino to immediately make this "we don't want to..." flip on its head.
i know Hou would rather send Watson to NFC and Car is dying to trade for him but I just dont see it happening....no chance Jax trades Lawrence and the amount it would take Car to move up from 8 to 2 would strip them of assets to make the deal at all with Hou.....I still think its Jets/Miami or he stays. ...for what its worth McClain said Jets had a big edge over Miami as their #1 pick next year with Watson would likely be a much better pick than Miami which would be a lock for playoffs.  

Kiddnets said:
i know Hou would rather send Watson to NFC and Car is dying to trade for him but I just dont see it happening....no chance Jax trades Lawrence and the amount it would take Car to move up from 8 to 2 would strip them of assets to make the deal at all with Hou.....I still think its Jets/Miami or he stays. ...for what its worth McClain said Jets had a big edge over Miami as their #1 pick next year with Watson would likely be a much better pick than Miami which would be a lock for playoffs.  
And the Texans thought they were trading late 1st round picks to Miami and many thought the Dolphins were not really getting great deals, mostly just stripping it to the studs in the wall so they could try and get the No 1 overall pick and we've seen how that has changed or the narrative has changed a lot. 

One of the problems for a team like Miami is that they aren't paying $35M for a QB right now and if Watson is brought in, Miami would have to change a lot of their team around and it might not be the lock for the playoffs everyone thinks it is. 

Miami has 4 picks in the Top 50 and went 10-6 last year, they could still take a QB themselves at No 3 if they really wanted to...might only be able to recoup a 2nd or 3rd for Tua at that point but a lot of folks out there still believe in Tua a lot. 

I read the tea leaves slightly different but I agree that Miami or the Jets have the most...still it looks like Carolina is trying to make a huge push...I thought that owner was sold on Teddy b and we overpaid for the head coach and he is such a smartie because he worked in Pittsburgh and blah blah blah...it must kill him to lose to Brady still. I guess it's not moving quick enough for him, Ron Rivera couldn't fill his needs either. 

And the Texans thought they were trading late 1st round picks to Miami and many thought the Dolphins were not really getting great deals, mostly just stripping it to the studs in the wall so they could try and get the No 1 overall pick and we've seen how that has changed or the narrative has changed a lot. 

One of the problems for a team like Miami is that they aren't paying $35M for a QB right now and if Watson is brought in, Miami would have to change a lot of their team around and it might not be the lock for the playoffs everyone thinks it is. 

Miami has 4 picks in the Top 50 and went 10-6 last year, they could still take a QB themselves at No 3 if they really wanted to...might only be able to recoup a 2nd or 3rd for Tua at that point but a lot of folks out there still believe in Tua a lot. 

I read the tea leaves slightly different but I agree that Miami or the Jets have the most...still it looks like Carolina is trying to make a huge push...I thought that owner was sold on Teddy b and we overpaid for the head coach and he is such a smartie because he worked in Pittsburgh and blah blah blah...it must kill him to lose to Brady still. I guess it's not moving quick enough for him, Ron Rivera couldn't fill his needs either. 
Unless Carolina includes a big time player that Houston likes they just dont have the ammo....#8 pick is a huge drop from #2/3....plus they only have 1 pick per yr where JEts/Fins could give 2 #1s this yr....

As a Jet fan it would be nice to have a franchise QB finally after nearly half a century....but I like having all the picks as well so its really a good situation either way....I still have money on Hou keeping him.  

Kiddnets said:
I probably explained poorly. I mean to say instead of Houston getting a ton of draft capital directly from Carolina for Watson, it'd be interesting if they gave that ammo to Jacksonville to get 1.1 for 1.8 and all of the additional stuff it'd aforementioned take. Then they'd flip the 1.1 and maybe more to Houston for Watson.

I agree though that he likely stays. I think Houston also has a weird chip on its shoulder with Miami too and something would be bittersweet to trade him and part of the compensation coming back is your own pick you traded (1.3).

So much PR for Carolina - they are desperate.  Points wise Carolina would need to trade their entire draft and next years 2d rder just to equal the value of the #2 pick.  Its a huge difference.....the #3 pick would be equal to just about their entire draft....and the Jets/Miami have another pick in the 1st rd this yr....draft pick wise it's not even close...Car would have to include a CMC, DJ Moore or another big time player for them to have any chance and I dont see the point in that....

Zero chance Jax trades the #1....so it all depends on the Jets and Miami....if they are both legitimately in it then Carolina has no shot.  

DESHAUN WATSON QB, HOUSTON TEXANS

Panthers owner David Tepper is "obsessed" with finding the team's long-term quarterback. 

Carolina last week cleared $28.5 million by releasing defensive tackle Kawann Short, defensive end Stephen Weatherly, safety Tre Boston, and punter Michael Palardy. The moves are widely seen as preparation for making a run at Deshaun Watson, the last high-profile quarterback potentially available via trade after the Rams acquired Matthew Stafford and the Colts acquired Carson Wentz. Texans officials insist Watson isn't available in a transparent attempt to drive up his trade value. The Panthers, meanwhile, were in the running for Stafford but expressed no interest in Wentz. Peter King said his "best guess" is that Carolina will "continue to monitor the Watson situation for the next two months and, if the Texans stick to their guns, look hard at trading up from No. 8 for a quarterback." 

SOURCE: SI.com 

Feb 22, 2021, 9:53 AM ET

So much PR for Carolina - they are desperate.  Points wise Carolina would need to trade their entire draft and next years 2d rder just to equal the value of the #2 pick.  Its a huge difference.....the #3 pick would be equal to just about their entire draft....and the Jets/Miami have another pick in the 1st rd this yr....draft pick wise it's not even close...Car would have to include a CMC, DJ Moore or another big time player for them to have any chance and I dont see the point in that....

Zero chance Jax trades the #1....so it all depends on the Jets and Miami....if they are both legitimately in it then Carolina has no shot.  
I agree with you that i don’t expect CAR to trade for Watson, but if they have the opportunity to get Watson for all of this year’s draft picks and CMC or DJ they should ABSOLUTELY do it.

He is a proven and young superstar QB. That’s bigger than your draft class and a RB or WR no matter how good.

I agree with you that i don’t expect CAR to trade for Watson, but if they have the opportunity to get Watson for all of this year’s draft picks and CMC or DJ they should ABSOLUTELY do it.

He is a proven and young superstar QB. That’s bigger than your draft class and a RB or WR no matter how good.
Agreed - as a Jets fan they havent had a franchise QB of Watson's caliber since Namath or possibly ever....while giving up talent/picks will hurt in the short run its worth it....just not sure its in the GM's DNA to give up so much...he really wants to build around the draft and not trade so many picks....but I would argue with the extra 1st rd picks they are in a rare position to afford it.  

This may drag on until draft day...I see Houston taking every second trying to avoid trading him....deals may be lined up but I dont see the trigger being pulled until then which works for the Jets as they have 2 options in keeping Sam or drafting a QB at #2...Car could get shut out completely.  

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Texans "continue to avoid conversations with teams in regards to trading Deshaun Watson." 

The pot is boiling, but the Texans refuse to watch it. We will see how long they can continue to outlast a player who tweeted Thursday: "Loyalty is everything. Don't you EVER forget it." Both sides appear to be digging in. This could end up one of the NFL's most drawn out, dramatic sagas in some time. 

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter 

Feb 25, 2021, 1:31 PM ET

If the Texans don't trade him, I hope the fans stop coming out and they never win another game. This reminds me of when Washington's old idiot coach and GM refused to trade Trent Williams, and at one point they had an offer for a 1st rounder. Instead they punished him and ended up getting what, 4th and 6th or  something like that for him? Just stupid move by the old regime and Texans appear to be doing the same...

Agreed - as a Jets fan they havent had a franchise QB of Watson's caliber since Namath or possibly ever....while giving up talent/picks will hurt in the short run its worth it....just not sure its in the GM's DNA to give up so much...he really wants to build around the draft and not trade so many picks....but I would argue with the extra 1st rd picks they are in a rare position to afford it.  

This may drag on until draft day...I see Houston taking every second trying to avoid trading him....deals may be lined up but I dont see the trigger being pulled until then which works for the Jets as they have 2 options in keeping Sam or drafting a QB at #2...Car could get shut out completely.  
Ever.   Kind of funny to even compare Watson and namath

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports teams are leaving the Texans voicemails with trade offers for Deshaun Watson.

Watson met with coach David Culley last Friday to tell him that he still wants to be traded and "has no intention of playing for the Texans again," per ESPN's Dan Graziano. Houston isn't budging either. Teams will continue making trade offers, but it's possible that owner Cal McNair will be unwilling to trade his star quarterback until he proves that he'll sit out games, thus losing millions of dollars. It's an impossible situation to be in. The Jets, Panthers, and others are likely among the teams leaving "call me back" messages. It would make sense for Houston to trade Watson prior to the 2021 NFL Draft to get their rebuild started quicker, but what makes sense and what the Texans' actually do are usually the opposite.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Feb 25, 2021, 4:07 PM ET

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports Deshaun Watson met with new Texans coach David Culley last Friday and "reiterated that he wants to be traded and told Culley he has no intention of playing for the Texans again."

If hiring Culley was the Texans' last-ditch gambit to keep their franchise player, it didn't work. It appears Watson may be Carson Palmer-level committed. Palmer sat out the beginning of the 2011 season before the Bengals finally traded him to the Raiders. The Texans have been adamant, both publicly and via leak, that Watson will not be dealt. For his part, Watson continues to further dig in. Someone is going to have to blink, and it will probably be the Texans. Even in a league where teams hold all the cards, players of Watson's stature typically get a deal when things devolve to this point. It's not a good situation for anybody when a star is kept against their will. 

SOURCE: Dan Graziano on Twitter 

Feb 25, 2021, 3:14 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "no one believes" Deshaun Watson will be traded. 

That's via sources "knee deep" in the situation. Rapsheet appears to be referring to teams that might be interested in acquiring the elite young quarterback. Rapoport also reports the Texans do not view either the start of free agency or the draft as "any sort of deadline." Rapsheet believes the drama will last for a "very, very long time." That is consistent with the established facts, as each side continues to dig in, both out in the open and via leaks. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Feb 25, 2021, 7:47 PM ET

need2know said:
Ever.   Kind of funny to even compare Watson and namath
Little before my time and it was a different era but early Namath was incredible....and he won the only Jet Super Bowl in one of the greatest upsets of all time that changed the league.....If Watson ever came to the Jets and won a Super Bowl then there would be no debate....I'd love to have that happen!  lol

Watson is trying to get out of town without looking bad...ala Stafford....not going to happen in this case.....if he really wants out he needs to go Jamal Adams on them and be a distraction....I dont think thats his style so Im betting Houston calls his bluff and he sits out the season.  

Watson is trying to get out of town without looking bad...
Yes and he's already bungling this thing up IMO and I'd blame his agent. Not entirely sure what kind of plan they thought they had going silent on Texans and passively aggressively leaking trade requests?  You either need to sit down face to face with them and discuss why you want out or go scorched earth.

Houston may be an inept run franchise but they have an adult in the room now in Caserio. He's kind of played this exactly like he should.

Also if Watson got to a point he sat out a year, which would be malpractice on part of his agent,  it would not hurt Houston since they are not competing anyway.

Yes and he's already bungling this thing up IMO and I'd blame his agent. Not entirely sure what kind of plan they thought they had going silent on Texans and passively aggressively leaking trade requests?  You either need to sit down face to face with them and discuss why you want out or go scorched earth.

Houston may be an inept run franchise but they have an adult in the room now in Caserio. He's kind of played this exactly like he should.

Also if Watson got to a point he sat out a year, which would be malpractice on part of his agent,  it would not hurt Houston since they are not competing anyway.
If this holdout was about money, then yes, I would say it was malpractice of the Agent, because holding out a year only costs you money in the long run. Look at Leveon Bell. He is never getting the 15 million the Steelers offered him for the year he sat out. For Deshaun, this is about not wanting to play for the Texans organization. By sitting out a year, in 2021, he is missing out on just $10.5 million of base salary as this is his 5th year option year. He already received the $27 million signing bonus on his contract extension in 2020. His contract extension base salary doesn't kick in until 2022 at $35 million. So I think Deshaun is willing to sit out in 2021 until he has to play to get his year of accrued service. I think that is after 8 or 9 games. He effectively ruins the Texans season and solidifies the Texans as a joke of an organization.

As for the Texans, not trading Deshaun will cost them a lot. They will have to defer rebuilding for a year, because they have no high draft picks and no salary cap room to sign free agents (plus what free agent is wanting to come to the Texans right now?). They will have a 2-4 win season, further alienating their fan base. They have no stars on the team anymore, so why do fans even want to come see them play? Because of Covid a lot of fans who had paid for 2020 season tickets but were never able to use them, went ahead and rolled that payment over to pay for 2021 season tickets, so season ticket sales will not totally crater in 2021. However, come 2022, I think NRG could become the new mausoleum.

As for Caserio, He may be the adult in the room, but how much power does he really have? McNair and Easterby seem to be working together and calling the shots. There is no way to know that for sure, but based on the incompetence seeming to continue on a daily basis in Houston, that definitely fits McNair/Easterby more than Caserio.

I will not be at all surprised if Watson gets handled the way Clowney was. Avoid trading him before the draft when he would have the most value, wait until the regular season starts and realize he is willing to sit out, panic, and then trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread