What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (5 Viewers)

they either thought it was a bluff and lost, or they genuinely want to fight it. :shrug:  
The emails indicate Watson does not view himself as totally innocent and indicates he was willing to pay something. 

So if you think you did at least something worthy of paying something and you know you did this to several other women around town it's pretty stupid to not settle. All he did was run risk of happening what is actually happening is the one case goes public and draws the others out. It's likely all the others cases would have just remained in the dark.

It wouldn’t ever have mattered if he just paid them weeks ago, before this all came out in the media.   
really.....?....even if he pays...it is still out there.....and promise you it would have mattered....you don't think the other teams considering trading for him wouldn't have factored his "settlements" into the equation.....you gotta be kidding me that "it wouldn't have mattered"....lol

Buzbee even provided evidence today where 1 of the 18 woman who came out in support of Watson had in the past made statements that she would never work with Watson again and that the word is getting out about him.  Somehow Buzbee got copies of her DMs that she sent in the past.

Also, I don’t understand why people are shocked that Buzbee and his client tried to get a settlement before it reached a trail.  I’m pretty sure that’s how most civil lawsuits are handled.

“Lawsuit Settlement Process - Statistically 90% of all lawsuits filed are settled before trial. Of the 10% of the cases that go to trial 90% of them settle before verdict. Therefore, a very small percentage of cases are ever tried to conclusion. One reason is that the costs of trial are prohibitive and the results are never guaranteed.”

Also, I don’t understand why people are shocked that Buzbee and his client tried to get a settlement before it reached a trail.  I’m pretty sure that’s how most civil lawsuits are handled.
I don't think anyone is shocked his client wanted a settlement, that's kind of twisting the narrative a bit. It's just not consistent to say I'm not doing this because I want money but to make sure Watson does not assault anyone but if you had paid me $100K I'd have kept my mouth quiet and no one would have heard a peep about this.

really.....?....even if he pays...it is still out there.....and promise you it would have mattered....you don't think the other teams considering trading for him wouldn't have factored his "settlements" into the equation.....you gotta be kidding me that "it wouldn't have mattered"....lol
Uh, if he paid them before any of this became public, no, it wouldn’t have mattered.  Because nobody would have known.

Nike suspended its endorsement deal with Deshaun Watson. 

The fallout begins a day after two of the 22 women suing Watson for sexual assault went public. “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and have suspended Deshaun Watson. We will continue to closely monitor the situation,” Nike said in a statement. Meanwhile, the Houston Police Department has opened an investigation into the allegations against the Houston quarterback. Watson is quickly becoming a pariah with his legal troubles expected to carry on for months. He could miss some or all of the 2021 NFL season if his legal affairs aren't resolved by the summer. Even if they are, Watson has said he will not play for the Texans, and it seems the team is preparing for that eventuality. Acquiring Watson via trade this spring or summer would be a public relations nightmare for an NFL franchise -- not to mention a moral dilemma for those disturbed by the glut of sexual assault allegations against Watson. 

SOURCE: CNBC.com 

Apr 7, 2021, 9:38 AM ET

Buzbee even provided evidence today where 1 of the 18 woman who came out in support of Watson had in the past made statements that she would never work with Watson again and that the word is getting out about him.  Somehow Buzbee got copies of her DMs that she sent in the past.
I'm watching PFT live, and Florio referenced this and said, "yesterday was a very bad day for Watson."

The messages he read, from one of HIS character witnesses, are worse for Watson than any statement his client made.  No matter what his client says, there's no eyewitness, and there will always a segment that assumes the women are out for money.

This is a DM from someone Harding brought to the party, saying she warned Watson to watch his step.  

Ouch.

I'm watching PFT live, and Florio referenced this and said, "yesterday was a very bad day for Watson."

The messages he read, from one of HIS character witnesses, are worse for Watson than any statement his client made.  No matter what his client says, there's no eyewitness, and there will always a segment that assumes the women are out for money.

This is a DM from someone Harding brought to the party, saying she warned Watson to watch his step.  

Ouch.
If Deshaun is getting help from Tonya Harding, he is in worst shape than I thought

Seems like the chances of him playing this year are getting increasingly slim. No way the nfl let’s him out there with these hanging over him. 

Cause it basically never happens
Every situation/human is different.  You don't know what's going on in his mind.  I'd rather let him eat his words and come back with his tail between his legs.  You can sort out punishment then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every situation/human is different.  You don't know what's going on in his mind.  I'd rather let him eat his words and come back with his tail between his legs.  You can sort out punishment then.
I am not sure what you are trying to argue

Why reward/pay him for this misconduct?  
It's not a reward, it's only temporary. What is most likely is the exempt list leads to the suspended list leads to Houston being able to cut him costing Watson an incredible amount of money. 

Incredible. 

I truly can’t imagine the failure of Watson’s team to not handle this all privately. 

That, or he’s just such a freak he created a truly uncontainable situation.

it’s all pretty hard to believe, yet here we are. 

With so many women coming forward, it no longer seems possible for Watson to have a football career after this.

Innocent until proven guilty & all that, sure, but woof. This looks bad bad. 

Incredible. 

I truly can’t imagine the failure of Watson’s team to not handle this all privately. 

With so many women coming forward, it no longer seems possible for Watson to have a football career after this.

Ego is a powerful thing 

Incredible. 

Several women have agreed to participate in a civil proceeding.  Two are involved in a new criminal investigation.  The defendant and counsel profess his innocence.  It will be interesting to see if all the Jane Doe's continue to the next step.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Deshaun Watson's future on the playing field remains "up in the air."

Watson's team has argued that, according to Texas law, the 25-year-old can't properly defend himself against anonymous accusers, which essentially ensures that all 22 accusers not only identify themselves but that all cases will be reconsolidated as one large civil lawsuit. While both rulings are considered small wins for Watson's legal team, this issue isn't going away absent settlement or cases being dropped altogether — both scenarios seem highly unlikely at this point. Odds are the league keeps out of it until further evidence is brought to the table. This situation (and Watson's unknown outlook on the field) could drag well into the summer.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 9, 2021, 1:52 PM ET

Incredible. 

It all started with one suit and when the other women heard about it they called up.  So just speculating further aloud here.

I can't help but wonder if Watson wasn't forthcoming with his legal team about the situation. In particular if asked "is this a lone situation or are there others that might come forth with the same kind of complaints?"  

Because it seems like if they had any idea this might not remain a lone case, then like you said, it is an immense failure to have not just settled and avoided the risk.

The Texans are a dumpster fire of an organization. WOW. 

ETA - Im not saying this is their fault, but given they coulda traded this guy and all the other player trades and defections, just wow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
The Texans are a dumpster fire of an organization. WOW. 

ETA - Im not saying this is their fault, but given they coulda traded this guy and all the other player trades and defections, just wow. 
As a Texans fan, it's been a dumpster fire for a while now.  This is just the cherry on top.  Piss poor management/ownership.  

It really is amazing how just a month ago, PFF was photoshopping Watson into a Jets jersey and I thought three first rounders was a good idea for him. Oh my God. 

This is truly ugly. I can't even include everyone in my thoughts because somebody is not telling the truth here. 22 women? That's a lot. 

But he's innocent until proven guilty. 

It’s his only option. I called this a month ago. He has to say the encounters are consensual. 

Now someone has to prove something. It’s all gonna bad. 
The texts/etc that have already gone public make Deshaun's chances of convincing people it was consensual kind of bleak.  

Timestamped evidence those particular women came away from these encounters upset about what happened during them. Using language that is very in line with what was alleged. Deshaun apologizing in one of them.  Discussion of him having a reputation for it. 

Yeah, doesn't look good.  He'd better hope that's the lot of it and they can get them thrown out for whatever reason.

Users who are viewing this thread