What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (4 Viewers)

As a Texans fan, one thing I remember reading across the past year or so when the Hopkins trade started this downhill mess for the franchise might shed some light on aspects of this as well.

Yes, I agree, Bob McNair and his wife are definitely on the more conservative tilt of things than other owners. It starts to explain how someone like Easterby could have found his way in and found his way to higher levels in the organization.

Another wrinkle is Cal McNair himself, who is now the day to day acting owner. Some beat writer noted at one point a dynamic within the building that's interesting in this situation - Something was going down and a couple of employees rushed to Cal's office to inform him, only to find him playing video games and completely unaware of what was going on or the dynamic or anything. It really spoke to how Richie Rich aloof he was about his organization and how much real day to day power he'd handed over to the likes of BOB or Easterby.

If that's true, Cal rushing to do dinners and repair relationships with Watson before all of this legal mess was likely seen as hollow as hell if you're Watson. The guy is just signing your check, whereas the real day to day leads are the ones makes the trades or doing shady things you don't like.

As a Texans fan, one thing I remember reading across the past year or so when the Hopkins trade started this downhill mess for the franchise might shed some light on aspects of this as well.

Yes, I agree, Bob McNair and his wife are definitely on the more conservative tilt of things than other owners. It starts to explain how someone like Easterby could have found his way in and found his way to higher levels in the organization.

Another wrinkle is Cal McNair himself, who is now the day to day acting owner. Some beat writer noted at one point a dynamic within the building that's interesting in this situation - Something was going down and a couple of employees rushed to Cal's office to inform him, only to find him playing video games and completely unaware of what was going on or the dynamic or anything. It really spoke to how Richie Rich aloof he was about his organization and how much real day to day power he'd handed over to the likes of BOB or Easterby.

If that's true, Cal rushing to do dinners and repair relationships with Watson before all of this legal mess was likely seen as hollow as hell if you're Watson. The guy is just signing your check, whereas the real day to day leads are the ones makes the trades or doing shady things you don't like.
I don't know if this is the same story you relate above, but if not, then it appears Cal loves himself some video games:

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/sage-rosenfels-shares-incredible-story-about-texans-ceo-cal-mcnair/574470

I can't post a link since it was a podcast but recently heard Lance Zeirlein on a draft related podcast and he felt pretty certain that no criminal charges would be filed, that Watson would settle, and he expects him to be traded this off-season.

I can't post a link since it was a podcast but recently heard Lance Zeirlein on a draft related podcast and he felt pretty certain that no criminal charges would be filed, that Watson would settle, and he expects him to be traded this off-season.
Lance is a radio show host in Houston, is very knowledgeable football wise, and has pretty good sources. I would put some stock in this if this is what he thinks is going to happen.

Can’t the Texans just let him rot at this point? Depressed trade market. They’re going to be terrible regardless.  I’d say, “play for us or don’t play at all.” 

Can’t the Texans just let him rot at this point? Depressed trade market. They’re going to be terrible regardless.  I’d say, “play for us or don’t play at all.” 
At this point, I doubt Watson is playing for anybody come Week 1 - unless he decides to pay up and make the civil suits go away (which is certainly possible).

Unless he runs over a judge's dog, wife, and kids, I seriously doubt he's going to jail....
Don't forget Donte' Stallworth. He drove drunk, ran over a pedestrian and killed him. Got a 30-day jail sentence.

Vick killed dogs and spent 2 years in prison.

When it comes to the judicial system spin the wheel and take your chances.

BoltBacker said:
Don't forget Donte' Stallworth. He drove drunk, ran over a pedestrian and killed him. Got a 30-day jail sentence.

Vick killed dogs and spent 2 years in prison.

When it comes to the judicial system spin the wheel and take your chances.
The pedestrian ran out into an area where pedestrians shouldn't be. Accident reconstruction suggests Stallworth responded reasonably. In other words, the pedestrian probably would have been killed by even the most sober and careful driver. Further, while Stallworth drive well above the legal limit and its fair to presume impairment, a BAC of ~.12 would not be considered "extreme" in even the harshest states. And, even in those harshest states, a regular first-time DUI may only amount to a day or so in jail. As such, Stallworth's sentence (which also included a lifetime revocation of his license and, IIRC, 1k hours of community service or something like that) could actually be considered "harsh" for what he did. Further, he agreed to a civil settlement to compensate the victim's family a lot of money. Please understand that I am in no way defending what he did or drinking and driving in general, but instead providing the proper legal context to explain the outcome. 

Historically, animal cruelty laws in most states are incredibly harsh. From a public policy and lobbying standpoint, cruelty to animals and similar issues garner a ton of public care and support (see e.g. the FFA's poll results re: saving one's dog versus an actual human) so, naturally, legislators create harsh sentences for them. Vick's sentence was therefore pretty reasonable if not lenient under the sentencing guidelines of his state. 

When it comes to the judicial (criminal justice) system the outcomes often result for an incredibly complicated and nuanced system with facts generally not know to the neutral public. 

Vick financed and was one of the principals in an illegal gambling and racketeering ring that focused on dog fighting. It was a lot more than just killing a few dogs.

Edit: Although as a dog lover, that was reprehensible on its own. He admitted to participating in killing multiple dogs in some sick ways like hanging them and knowing about the killing of many others.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, I doubt Watson is playing for anybody come Week 1 - unless he decides to pay up and make the civil suits go away (which is certainly possible).
Lots of talk today, that settling is exactly what Watson is planning to do. That probably is in everyone's best interest, as there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to get any criminal convictions. Too easy to make a he said/she said.

Its hard to imagine a scenario where he doesn't face some sort of suspension. But it could be in the 4-8 game variety, which leaves some wiggle room for a trade. I'm projecting a little here, but I could see the Texans just wanting to move on, and taking very little in a trade, and attempting to justify it morally to their fanbase. But Watson for a single day 2 pick isn't crazy in my opinion.

3 teams stick out to me as potential landing spots:

1. Denver-They know their current QBs aren't anything special, and they are a QB away from being a playoff lock. Backup plan for Rodgers?

2. Washington-Fitzpatrick isn't a long term answer(obviously) and ideally isn't a short term answer either. Probably the best fit.

3. Miami-Probably unlikely, but they were clearly interested before, and could possibly even do a Tua swap straight up at this point.

I also think New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh would have interest, but I don't see how any of them could make it work cap wise.

Of course, with all that has happened, Watson may also just stay in Houston, at least for 2021, and then revisit it later.

Lots of talk today, that settling is exactly what Watson is planning to do. That probably is in everyone's best interest, as there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to get any criminal convictions. Too easy to make a he said/she said.

Its hard to imagine a scenario where he doesn't face some sort of suspension. But it could be in the 4-8 game variety, which leaves some wiggle room for a trade. I'm projecting a little here, but I could see the Texans just wanting to move on, and taking very little in a trade, and attempting to justify it morally to their fanbase. But Watson for a single day 2 pick isn't crazy in my opinion.

1. Denver-They know their current QBs aren't anything special, and they are a QB away from being a playoff lock. Backup plan for Rodgers?

2. Washington-Fitzpatrick isn't a long term answer(obviously) and ideally isn't a short term answer either. Probably the best fit.

3. Miami-Probably unlikely, but they were clearly interested before, and could possibly even do a Tua swap straight up at this point.

I also think New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh would have interest, but I don't see how any of them could make it work cap wise.

Of course, with all that has happened, Watson may also just stay in Houston, at least for 2021, and then revisit it later.
I believe there is still interest in Carolina as well.  

I think they all could make it work cap wise but it would be really kind of easy for Phily and Pittsburgh because his base next year is just $10M and it would be very easy to lower it to the league minimum which may not be necessary depending on how long any suspension would be. A little more problematic for the Saints because unlike the other two teams they don't have cap space opening up in 2022 and on the flip side his contract would be a piece of cake for the Steelers to take on but I don't see them in the market for him, I wish but don't see it and if it happened would be to be next off-season.

I think he he's going to one of Philly, Denver, Carolina or Miami myself and that's the order I'd rank them.

I think they all could make it work cap wise but it would be really kind of easy for Phily and Pittsburgh because his base next year is just $10M and it would be very easy to lower it to the league minimum which may not be necessary depending on how long any suspension would be. A little more problematic for the Saints because unlike the other two teams they don't have cap space opening up in 2022 and on the flip side his contract would be a piece of cake for the Steelers to take on but I don't see them in the market for him, I wish but don't see it and if it happened would be to be next off-season.

I think he he's going to one of Philly, Denver, Carolina or Miami myself and that's the order I'd rank them.
You are likely right about the Steelers. For better or worse(probably worse)they seem to have convinced themselves that QB isn't the problem.

You don't think Washington would be in the mix, especially with Snyder loving to make big splashes?

From a fantasy perspective, I think Washington or Denver would be the best landing spots, unless somehow the Saints were able to pull some salary cap magic.

You are likely right about the Steelers. For better or worse(probably worse)they seem to have convinced themselves that QB isn't the problem.

You don't think Washington would be in the mix, especially with Snyder loving to make big splashes?

From a fantasy perspective, I think Washington or Denver would be the best landing spots, unless somehow the Saints were able to pull some salary cap magic.
I think it's fair to put Washington in the mix but a few things were on my mind when I omitted them. I honestly think Snyder is letting Rivera call the shots but main reason I omitted them is the franchise seems to be doing everything PC in last year or so, going back to dropping Redskins name, who they've hired since, etc, etc.  Specifically with all the sexual misconduct accusations made against people in the FO and possibly Snyder they just seem to be going in a different direction as a franchise right now then one that would bring in someone with a cloud over him like Watson. Of course if during this the cloud gets lifted that could be a different story.

And I do think the Steelers understand future QB is a need, though as a Steeler fan I'm frightened to death they think Rudolph might be a serviceable answer while they figure it out. But Ben took a legit paycut to return this year and I don't think they'd throw him to the curb after doing that so any trade interest I think they would have for Watson would be after this season but Watson might be long gone from Houston by then.

IMO a trade is going to be very tricky.....you would have to assume a team is going to look at how the cap hit blooms to $40+ in 2022 and beyond and want a restructure prior to a trade.....if Watson settles, which is basically admitting guilt.....what is he going to be willing restructure down to?....if at all....?....and man selling your fan base on the new face of your franchise being a guy who basically is admitting that he mistreated/disrespected/whatever word you want use that many women, is going to be a hard sell....and I don't think HOU is just going to give him away....so you need a few things to line up perfectly

1. settles....admitting he's not a very good guy

2. Watson agreeing to restructure to a discounted rate

3. HOU lowering their asking price.....if he was worth 3 firsts + before....what is the price now

4. a team willing to take on his contract and give up a lot of assets.....

any GM willing to go out on a limb and acquire this dude is going to want to do so at a major discount in terms of what he gives up and the contract moving forward....I could see Watson agreeing to a restructured deal just to get out and get a fresh start.....(although if he settles all 20+ cases he's going need some cash)....just not sure HOU will give him away on the cheap....will be interesting to see where it meets in the middle if it happens....

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzbee Calls Out NFL's Handling of Deshaun Watson Case; Says Settlement Won't Happen

Buzbee saying that cash settlements will not happen and the women want it to go to court.  

Find that hard to believe that these women do not want money or won't take a large settlement.  All the silence the last couple of weeks seems to hint that a settlement is in the works.  The drama continues.  
If I am Buzbee and it is early on in settlement negotiations, offers have not been sent yet, or a lowball offer has been sent this is exactly what I am saying to drive up the price regardless of whether the woman want to settle or not.

Buzbee Calls Out NFL's Handling of Deshaun Watson Case; Says Settlement Won't Happen

Buzbee saying that cash settlements will not happen and the women want it to go to court.  

Find that hard to believe that these women do not want money or won't take a large settlement.  All the silence the last couple of weeks seems to hint that a settlement is in the works.  The drama continues.  
Litigants in court cases don't always act rationally. Nonetheless, this is a bit surprising if true, because this lawsuit is essentially just about getting money. 

Wouldn't going to court end in money anyway?  Assuming civil, not criminal.  I guess if they want to make sure he's found guilty in a civil trial OK, but sounds like posturing at this point.

Watson for Rodgers

Dang, Watson's lawyer really tossing bombs at buzbee. 

It's a brawl
No lies were told.

Buzbee not happy with NFL investigation.  Why? Watson making no attempt to settle. Why?

I don't think since this started I've felt more confident in either no suspension or a fairly meager one.

To those that say "I can't see him playing" in 2021 I'd encourage you to look again. I'll say right now and say with confidence if he's not playing in 2021 it's because he chose to not to.

Statement from Rusty Hardin

In a recent interview, Mr. Buzbee stated that "a settlement is not happening."  We certainly agree that there are currently no settlement negotiations being conducted.  While we have never approached Mr. Buzbee about a settlement, he has approached us on numerous occasions in the past about the possibility of a settlement.  We have made clear all along that there would be no settlement unless the terms are made public and all participants are allowed to speak in their own defense at all times.  We want none of the participants-- the plaintiffs or Mr. Watson -- muzzled by a settlement agreement.  Mr. Buzbee does not feel the same.

I am a little bemused by Mr. Buzbee pronouncing piously that his clients are not going to settle and that they want their cases to play out in court.  The fact that this whole thing started with his attempt to extort money and avoid court shows that irony is not dead.  I guess it has just been raised to a new level. 

You don't think he goes on the Exempt List if this doesn't settle before the start of the season?
No but I'm inclined to think he begins the season suspended.  It's a further guessing game trying to predict how long he could be suspended but I do not think it's for the season. 

I believe the exempt list has only been used when someone was facing criminal charges. Saying that it seems a little bogus to say because NFL basically threatened NFL teams they would take this course of action if they signed AB but technically they've managed to only use on players facing criminal charges.

The major difference why the NFL threatened teams with exempt list for AB  is that the NFL found out about AB in-season, no time to conduct their investigation. I think they will  have had a good 6 months to investigate Watson. So IMO no need for exempt list and if he's suspended and the civil trail still looms I would anticipate some language in their suspension similar to the one we saw when they announced AB's suspension. Which is to say based on what we know this is the suspension, if we find out more damaging info we might suspend you more.

Users who are viewing this thread