What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (5 Viewers)

No but I'm inclined to think he begins the season suspended.  It's a further guessing game trying to predict how long he could be suspended but I do not think it's for the season. 

I believe the exempt list has only been used when someone was facing criminal charges.
Maybe in the past, but if a high profile case (even civil) like this is still ongoing, I doubt the NFL wants to face the backlash from women's groups and/or have it brought up during every game whatever team he ends up with is playing.

I'm only guessing, of course, but unless both sides are bluffing about their desire to settle - which is admittedly likely - I'll stick with the Exempt List being in his future.

It would need to settle before the season started - very little chance the litigation closes in the next three months.
Maybe it would if he settles.

eta probably best I learn how to read or get off the beach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watson's won't be disposed on his civil case until 2022.

So unless he settles or Houston PD moves forward with charges(they won't) what happens next seems like it hinges on what NFL decides. If they put him on exempt list I think we'll just be stuck in a year long holding pattern. I don't think this will be the case. In part because no criminal charges were filed and because McNair would just be stuck paying him.

Question to me is if he's suspended less then a year, so eligible to play in 2021, do teams start aggressively pursuing him before his legal situation is wrapped up? I think so, but not if he got handed down a season long suspension which is why am concerned that's what he'll get. Just easier for NFL to make him go away for a year then all the hoopla over him possibly joining a new team in-season after serving a suspension.

Watson's won't be disposed on his civil case until 2022.

So unless he settles or Houston PD moves forward with charges(they won't) what happens next seems like it hinges on what NFL decides. If they put him on exempt list I think we'll just be stuck in a year long holding pattern. I don't think this will be the case. In part because no criminal charges were filed and because McNair would just be stuck paying him.

Question to me is if he's suspended less then a year, so eligible to play in 2021, do teams start aggressively pursuing him before his legal situation is wrapped up? I think so, but not if he got handed down a season long suspension which is why am concerned that's what he'll get. Just easier for NFL to make him go away for a year then all the hoopla over him possibly joining a new team in-season after serving a suspension.
Houston Texans QB Deshaun Watson not scheduled to be deposed in case against him until early 2022

McNair would just be stuck paying him.
While I've mentioned the exempt list a few times, this would surely be a sticking point in going that route - essentially Watson would be getting what he wanted - not playing for the Texans - while still getting paid for (allegedly) being a bad actor.

^^^ just gonna throw this out there, but I dont see anyone talking about the story anymore... it's gone past expiry in society's short attention spans.

this forum is legitimately the only place I still see the thread bumped here and there

^^^ just gonna throw this out there, but I dont see anyone talking about the story anymore... it's gone past expiry in society's short attention spans.

this forum is legitimately the only place I still see the thread bumped here and there
Agreed. But we all know how fickle the media is.  As soon as something happens it’ll be headlines again.  I don’t see how Houston could actual trade him without this story instantly popping back up into major news stories.  

I don't think so.  A settlement would be looked at as an admission of guilt. The amount of press and attention this situation has received as it should garner a punishment from the NFL. The sheer volume of cases will be hard to overcome. If there is no settlement? Have to think the exempt list is where he is headed. As someone said it's going to be much easier to do that than have to deal with the public out cry. 

Settlement: 6-8 games seems about right. 

No settlement: Roger's list. 
You're probably right in this case, but it's ridiculous for a league to punish a player simply because there's been a large amount of press and attention. 

I mean... This was sarcasm right?
Only if you think due process and individual rights are a joke and don't think anyone has ever been falsely accused :shrug:

It has a lot to due with the brand and money.  The NFL is a product being consumed by consumers and the power of the mighty dollar is as important as ever and maybe even more now. I don't particularly agree with it but it's a billion dollar business. I'm not 100 percent sure how I feel about Watson.  If he settles and the women in the case are satisfied with the outcome is this enough? Or the fact that 22 women came out and said that Watson borderline in some way was abusive to them and caused mental anguish to them which could take years to recover from them. I understand it's a case by case situation but that's what is on the table. Should he be punished by the NFL?  I have to think yes.  I have mixed feelings on the subject based on my beliefs never to judge anyone and give the evidence a good looking into before deciding. We will never know the evidence if he settles. It's a tough case for sure. I go back and forth on the subject.
If there's any indication of guilt here, including a settlement (which doesn't equal guilt but at least there some basis to believe he did something here), I think he'll be suspended.

Without a settlement or decision indicating he's responsible for harm :shrug: I wouldn't discipline people for accusations. 

I was just petting my dog Rocky’s back on the couch & he did this lowkey casual stretch, roll-over move, & his junk briefly touched my hand & I realized that was probably Watson’s go-to move and now I’m worried that my dog will never play in the NFL again. 🥺
Dear Sir,

Rocky has been using that move for years. In fact, after you scolded him he even used it again on another. He now is willing to settle this case. He won’t chew your shoes. He will go to the vet without incident from now on. He will submit to a bath willfully for once a month. And he won’t terrorize the mailmen nor the neighbors nosy cat. Deal? 

Regards,

Rocky’s council

Zeke? He was suspended 6 games without being charged.
There's definitely a lower level of proof for the NFL than criminal court.  I think the NFL uses "sufficient credible evidence".  Which is a better way of saying what I did - any indication of guilt.  

I think if you suspend Zeke for 6 games there is no way you can not suspend Watson for the same or more.  He has 22 cases pending in civil court right now.  
It seems incredibly likely that they do. 

I'm just saying I haven't seen the evidence, and while multiple complaints sure makes it look like he committed the bad acts, accusations alone shouldn't mean punishment. That comment isn't intended for this case specifically but as a general comment that bad press by itself shouldn't lead to discipline, with regards to your earlier comment "The amount of press and attention this situation has received as it should garner a punishment from the NFL" in hindsight you may have meant that in conjunction with a settlement, in which case we agree. 

Are you talking mainstream news? Or sports news specifically? As far as society is concerned, I think people are way more concerned with things like this then what's going on with a bunch of multi-millionaires playing a game. If you are talking strictly sports society, then ok, it probably is odd.

Are you talking mainstream news? Or sports news specifically? As far as society is concerned, I think people are way more concerned with things like this then what's going on with a bunch of multi-millionaires playing a game. If you are talking strictly sports society, then ok, it probably is odd.
both. but mostly within sport circles... the story has gone cold/dead. no one "cares" anymore. 

even when this thread is bumped, it's just a bunch of bullcaca or opinion w no pull

both. but mostly within sport circles... the story has gone cold/dead. no one "cares" anymore. 

even when this thread is bumped, it's just a bunch of bullcaca or opinion w no pull
It could be "cold" because there's been no new information recently - its not like people will just forget that Watson was accused of multiple bad acts toward women in August if he decided to show up to camp.

Only if you think due process and individual rights are a joke and don't think anyone has ever been falsely accused :shrug:

If there's any indication of guilt here, including a settlement (which doesn't equal guilt but at least there some basis to believe he did something here), I think he'll be suspended.

Without a settlement or decision indicating he's responsible for harm :shrug: I wouldn't discipline people for accusations. 
Ray Rice got two games for beating his (then) girlfriend.  Once the media got a hold of the story his ban became indefinite.  Afterwards a giant kicker beat his wife during the probowl to the point that she had to be hidden from him while they were in Hawaii, but he never was punished (as far as I remember, could be wrong) cause who cares?

The NFL doesn't care about the act itself, just public perception.  It's the way its always been.

I'm just saying I haven't seen the evidence,
If what has been made public is credible, it seems like there's enough evidence already to raise a doubt as to what's gone on.  As I understand it that includes:

* Deshaun reaching out to upwards of 41 women on Instagram for massage in the last year or two (18 of whom were made public by his defense). For massages he could have got from the team for free. During a pandemic when you'd think finding someone you trust and sticking with them would be even more the norm. One of whom he flew from Atlanta to Houston for it.

* Some of the women do not do massages professionally, raising the question, based on what did Watson pick them to solicit a massage from if not experience in massage therapy?

* Corroborating messages sent to others from at least some of the plaintiffs at the time of their encounter with him that something upsetting happened during the massages. 

* Messages (from a masseuse that Watson's attorney put forward as one of his character witnesses, of all people) warning another masseuse that Watson was getting a reputation and she'd stopped working with him.

Houston?   What are the chances he plays ever again.   I say 0.2%.

NFL owners care about $$$, and alienating all the women fans of your team doesnt equate to $$$.

Houston?   What are the chances he plays ever again.   I say 0.2%.

NFL owners care about $$$, and alienating all the women fans of your team doesnt equate to $$$.
Meh, I'm not saying he will for certain play again, but that's the bet I'd take today. I think you are exaggerating the alienation of women, and the PR cost. Whether political candidates or sports heroes, unless there is a Ray Rice tape out there, the page gets turned pretty quickly these days.

Users who are viewing this thread