What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (4 Viewers)

Meh, I'm not saying he will for certain play again, but that's the bet I'd take today. I think you are exaggerating the alienation of women, and the PR cost. Whether political candidates or sports heroes, unless there is a Ray Rice tape out there, the page gets turned pretty quickly these days.
If we are being honest, if Ray Rice were a franchise QB in his prime, and not a RB on the downside of his career, he would have absolutely resurfaced, even with the tape.

I'd say the chances Watson plays in 2021 are 50-50, and playing in 2022, I'd say at least 90%, unless he somehow ends up in prison, which seems very unlikely at the moment. That said, I don't see Houston keeping him, and he'll probably need to go somewhere where the HC, has a lot of clout, ala AB going with Arians/Brady. To me the top candidates would be:

Detroit-Campbell is locked in long-term and Goff isn't necessarily.

New Orleans-If Winston/Hill aren't up to the task, the Saints have proven to be an aggressive front office, and Payton is bulletproof.

Pittsburgh-Ben is likely in his final season, and Tomlin has infinite job security. Steelers also are unlikely to have a high draft pick.

Washington-Have a QB need, and a good roster. Not sure if Rivera would be on board, but zero doubt Snyder would, so can't rule them out.

Other candidates I could see are NY Giants, Philadelphia, Carolina, and Denver. But they all have potential HC uncertainty and/or likely high draft picks at the moment.

Not that it can’t happen but Washington would pretty hilarious in an ironic way given their own multiple sexual harassment and discrimination charges.

I can’t see an AFC team or NO which is so close geographically and there are tons of Saints fans living in Houston but the Texans brass are a wildcard so who knows for sure.

I “think” Watson would veto Detroit given their history of ineptitude and not being a major market team.

My guess is Hurts flames out, Danny Dimes continues to disappoint, and Carolina realizes they wasted a 2nd on Darnold and there’s a bidding war between those 3 next year after Watson serves a suspension. Miami is in the mix as well but may have to pay a premium given they are an AFC team. Given the Texans march to the beat of their own drum though, I wouldn’t be surprised at something totally off the wall in the end though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it can’t happen but Washington would pretty hilarious in an ironic way given their own multiple sexual harassment and discrimination charges.

I can’t see an AFC team or NO which is so close geographically and there are tons of Saints fans living in Houston but the Texans brass are a wildcard so who knows for sure.

I “think” Watson would veto Detroit given their history of ineptitude and not being a major market team.

My guess is Hurts flames out, Danny Dimes continues to disappoint, and Carolina realizes they wasted a 2nd on Darnold and there’s a bidding war between those 3 next year after Watson serves a suspension. Miami is in the mix as well but may have to pay a premium given they are an AFC team. Given the Texans march to the beat of their own drum though, I wouldn’t be surprised at something totally off the wall in the end though.
It would never get to that stage because the Lion's can't afford to give away a bunch of picks even if they wanted Watson.

Also, don't undervalue the NFL's love for redemption stories. Even if Watson settles or has some degree of culpability, he'll throw himself into community work as he was known for in Houston and the NFL PR will go into overdrive on the redemption story. He won't play again in Houston, but he'll get back on the field soon enough.

based on assuming that the sheer volume here means there is some level of fire behind the smoke when this all shakes out.....I have been trying to put myself in the shoes of a fan whose team ends up acquiring this guy at some point down the road...and it just feels icky......

not sure I could get behind and support the move by my teams front office....especially if it involves first round picks....I can be "all about winning" as much as the next guy.....but I just feel I would rather see my team "pass" on this opportunity.....your QB is generally the face of your franchise.....this isn't some backup clip board carrying signing that slips under the radar and "nobody really cares".....

in terms of winning this guy immediately becomes the savior of whatever team he goes to...and you would think that would be welcomed with open arms.....but this just feels different.....all of a sudden your team becomes that team....just feels yucky and I wouldn't want a part of it even if it could get my team a few more wins.....the nature of these accusations feel different then some of the things we as sports fans have "overlooked" because of the talent.... 

based on assuming that the sheer volume here means there is some level of fire behind the smoke when this all shakes out.....I have been trying to put myself in the shoes of a fan whose team ends up acquiring this guy at some point down the road...and it just feels icky......

not sure I could get behind and support the move by my teams front office....especially if it involves first round picks....I can be "all about winning" as much as the next guy.....but I just feel I would rather see my team "pass" on this opportunity.....your QB is generally the face of your franchise.....this isn't some backup clip board carrying signing that slips under the radar and "nobody really cares".....

in terms of winning this guy immediately becomes the savior of whatever team he goes to...and you would think that would be welcomed with open arms.....but this just feels different.....all of a sudden your team becomes that team....just feels yucky and I wouldn't want a part of it even if it could get my team a few more wins.....the nature of these accusations feel different then some of the things we as sports fans have "overlooked" because of the talent.... 
Really the only way it would turn out OK is if he really is the savior of the team.  Then people will let it slide, if the team isn't winning, even if he's playing well then I think it just lingers.

Appearing on Aqib Talib's podcast, current Broncos DB Kareem Jackson and former teammate of Deshaun Watson said Watson told him he "wants to be" in Denver.

"I've been talking to him for the last couple weeks," Jackson said. "All he been telling me is 'that's where I want to be. I want to be in Denver.'" According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Watson has been getting recruited by a number of players across multiple teams, and he remains open to several options, including the Broncos. But per RapSheet, the Broncos aren't at the top of Watson's wish list. At the top of Watson's list should be clearing all the legal hurdles in front of him. Football remains on the back burner at the moment. Once he's out of hot water with the law and the league, Watson is almost surely to be traded.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jun 9, 2021, 2:17 PM ET

I just want to say - Vick tortured and killed dogs, then went to jail for it, and the Eagles made him their starting qb when he got out.

Watson has a number of civil suits, not criminal, for something that most NFL owners have probably done in some form or another.  I mean, Robert Kraft won a superbowl then got caught in a sting getting a happy ending.  Maybe if he had Instagram we'd never have heard about it.

I'm not trying to apologize for it or say that any of this is right.  It's not.  It's skeevy at the very best.  But there's a reason #metoo is a thing.

100% chance Watson is playing in 2022 barring injury or Hou doing something absolutely crazy stupid.

I just want to say - Vick tortured and killed dogs, then went to jail for it, and the Eagles made him their starting qb when he got out.

Watson has a number of civil suits, not criminal, for something that most NFL owners have probably done in some form or another.  I mean, Robert Kraft won a superbowl then got caught in a sting getting a happy ending.  Maybe if he had Instagram we'd never have heard about it.

I'm not trying to apologize for it or say that any of this is right.  It's not.  It's skeevy at the very best.  But there's a reason #metoo is a thing.

100% chance Watson is playing in 2022 barring injury or Hou doing something absolutely crazy stupid.
What about 100% chance he is playing this year? Seems more likely than him NOT playing IMO....

What about 100% chance he is playing this year? Seems more likely than him NOT playing IMO....
I think it's more likely than not that he doesn't play this year - or at least misses significant time. I do not see the NFL letting him play until this civil suit is either completed or settled.

Doesn't he have to be proven guilty (he continues to maintain his innocence) for the NFL to suspend him? I mean, with Rice, Vick, there was conviction and evidence. Wouldn't this be a new precedent to suspend him without any form of proof other than he said/she said? 

Doesn't he have to be proven guilty (he continues to maintain his innocence) for the NFL to suspend him? I mean, with Rice, Vick, there was conviction and evidence. Wouldn't this be a new precedent to suspend him without any form of proof other than he said/she said? 
I don't think they'll suspend him. I think he'll be placed on the NFL exempt list, like Adrian Peterson was and the NFL threatened would happen if a team signed Antonio Brown after his release from the Pats following sexual assault allegations.

He would still get paid so it's a fairly toothless "punishment". 

Don't think so. Big Ben was never convicted down he was suspended.

If we are being honest, if Ray Rice were a franchise QB in his prime, and not a RB on the downside of his career, he would have absolutely resurfaced, even with the tape.

I'd say the chances Watson plays in 2021 are 50-50, and playing in 2022, I'd say at least 90%, unless he somehow ends up in prison, which seems very unlikely at the moment. That said, I don't see Houston keeping him, and he'll probably need to go somewhere where the HC, has a lot of clout, ala AB going with Arians/Brady. To me the top candidates would be:

Detroit-Campbell is locked in long-term and Goff isn't necessarily.

New Orleans-If Winston/Hill aren't up to the task, the Saints have proven to be an aggressive front office, and Payton is bulletproof.

Pittsburgh-Ben is likely in his final season, and Tomlin has infinite job security. Steelers also are unlikely to have a high draft pick.

Washington-Have a QB need, and a good roster. Not sure if Rivera would be on board, but zero doubt Snyder would, so can't rule them out.

Other candidates I could see are NY Giants, Philadelphia, Carolina, and Denver. But they all have potential HC uncertainty and/or likely high draft picks at the moment.
Steelers wont touch him.   They will go with Rudolph or Haskins for a year while a rookie QB learns/watches, or they sign a bg time FA QB, they'll have the $$ to spend.

Don't think so. Big Ben was never convicted down he was suspended.
FWIW, Roethlisberger wasn't even ever charged.  (Not defending him in any way, actually think that is the closest comparison to what Watson is going through.  Ben's accusations were in some ways worse but DW has of course many more accusers.)

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes there is no team "better positioned" to trade for Deshaun Watson than Philadelphia. 

Schefter adds that he is unsure when the Texans might finally be ready to deal Watson, and that they will surely wait for his value to regenerate following this offseason's sexual assault allegations. It is not a given that will happen, of course. ESPN's Sarah Barshop reported in May that there had been "settlement talks." It is still possible, if not probable, that teams won't exactly be clamoring to acquire a player with that on his résumé. We still have little idea if Watson is actually going to play for the Texans this year. He had thrown down the gauntlet before his legal issues arose. 

RELATED: 

Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: ESPN on Twitter 

Jul 15, 2021, 3:45 PM ET

While I could easily see Philly trading for him, I can't see them pulling the trigger until we know what the resolution of the court case will be. Houston isn't going to give him away, despite many people thinking the Texans have no leverage and will take whatever offered. I'm guessing two first rounders.

Kinda kicking myself - I probably could have had Watson in the Mahomes deal as a "toss-in" - immediately after that deal, my trade partner sold him for a 2023 2nd round pick, so yeah - I kinda blew it. 

I woulda loved to have him for free. It might not be this year, but this will blow over eventually. He will play football again, and anywhere not the Texans is likely to be an improvement for him. 

Pro Football Network's Adam Beasley reports the Dolphins "would still consider trading for" Deshaun Watson if his legal issues are resolved.

Watson is currently accused of sexual misconduct by over 20 women and both the NFL and Houston police are investigating the claims. For now, Watson should be expected to sit out the 2021 season. If his legal situation changes, he'll still need to find a resolution to his standoff with the Texans. If Miami does enter the fray, they'll likely offer Tua Tagovailoa and multiple first-round picks to cap of their monumental rebuild. Tagovailoa was a promising prospect coming out of Alabama but his rookie season raised more questions than answers. Replacing him with Watson would make the Dolphins an immediate contender in the AFC.

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

, Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Jul 19, 2021, 10:01 AM ET

That is merely sportswriter speculation but oh my goodness imagine how the Miami wide receiver ADPs would skyrocket if they acquired Watson.

kind of crazy how over time we don't really care about the person or the potential victims.... we only care about watching them on Sundays and what they could do for our NFL team or our fantasy WR's...just "settle" all 20+ of your cases and I'll pretend like none of them ever happened....because, you know....you "settled" them....nobody can say you actually did any of the things they said....so you are innocent in my book bro....and I'd love to see you chucking it to my boy Devante Parker.....

as mentioned before this wasn't an isolated incident after a bad night of drinking or something.....or even just cheating by using steroids on yourself with no other real victims....dude actually thought it was okay to do this stuff and thought his fame and notoriety and money made it ok and nobody would say anything....he made a conscious decision in each and every one of these encounters...it wasn't a one time bad decision...so that may sound like moral police or whatever (and I know it all still needs to shake out, but this is just assuming the sheer volume means there is some fire where there is smoke)....but put me in the camp of no I don't think it would be "sweet" to see him in a Dolphin uniform or whatever....

maybe....maybe.... after a little jail time, some rehab, some remorseful public apologies, some advocating against this type of stuff....maybe....but if he "settles" and buys his way out.....no thanks....I want my team to win as bad as the next guy, but I don't want him being the face of my franchise....just IMO

To be clear, I don't want this piece of trash anywhere near the teams I root for, but I'm going to roster him in every single one of my dynasty leagues for the right price.

Terrible people who are productive on the fantasy scoresheet are exactly as useful as saints who are productive on the fantasy scoresheet.

tangfoot said:
To be clear, I don't want this piece of trash anywhere near the teams I root for, but I'm going to roster him in every single one of my dynasty leagues for the right price.

Terrible people who are productive on the fantasy scoresheet are exactly as useful as saints who are productive on the fantasy scoresheet.
I've agreed with this 100% until Watson. Everything about this has made my skin crawl. I don't want anything to do with him and would probably stop following the Lions if he was their quarterback. I realize that is an extreme minority opinion and don't fault those who disagree.

I've agreed with this 100% until Watson. Everything about this has made my skin crawl. I don't want anything to do with him and would probably stop following the Lions if he was their quarterback. I realize that is an extreme minority opinion and don't fault those who disagree.
Not defending Watson (I pretty much agree with you, though I'll leave the door open for Watson to make an attempt at redemption) but Big Ben was accused of much worse IMO, though nothing ever went to trial. Bit of a different time these days so Watson may be punished more. 

In a standard PPR league, I just traded Cousins and a presumptive low 2nd round pick in 2022 for Deshaun Watson. Rolling the dice with Dak, and not much behind him at QB for 2021.

If Watson shows up to camp, the Texans probably either have to send him home, or else it increases the pressure on them to trade him.

If he doesn't show up, then he starts accruing fines which is in the team's interest in not having to pay him that money, even if he goes on the exempt list later.

Seems to me like it would be in Watson's interest to report to camp then.

If Watson shows up to camp, the Texans probably either have to send him home, or else it increases the pressure on them to trade him.

If he doesn't show up, then he starts accruing fines which is in the team's interest in not having to pay him that money, even if he goes on the exempt list later.

I could be wrong, but hasn't he already been told by the league to stay away from organized team activities....kind of like a pre-exempt list type of maneuver...?

100%. If his representation is still having him sit out when fines start hitting they are doing him a massive disservice. He needs to force the Texans and/or NFL's hands and only way to do that is to report.

I could be wrong, but hasn't he already been told by the league to stay away from organized team activities....kind of like a pre-exempt list type of maneuver...?
Not that I've heard.  From what I saw, the news was reporting that Watson wasn't going to attend as if it was his choice and not a mandate.

Deshaun Watson has never been told to stay away from the Texans. At least no one his reported this has happened I should say.

He's not missed a mandatory session yet because the Texans cancelled their mandatory mini-camp for the whole team. This would have cost Watson about $93K in fines but he was able to avoid that.

So at this point not loss of income for him but unless the Texans send him home the fines are coming and they can't be cancelled. He'll soon be getting fined $50K a day and $650 per preseason game.

I don't know exactly how many days training camp fines are determined, if it's from day one of reporting till season or is their a time that camp ends and it's considered just practice for start of season?  But  either way conservatively speaking if he tried to take this holdout into the season he's give up at least $3m in fines that the team can't waive or pay and lose an accrued season. Then he'll start losing game checks all while facing the real chance that if he does not play this year he'll be suspended and not getting any money for all or part of 2022. Plus legal fees.

All why I think he'd be making a huge mistake not reporting and trying to force the issue of either league or team sending him home.

I've already seen 3 different ex-GM's write articles or do podcasts saying Watson made a mistake sitting out this off-season, that he's doing exactly what Houston and the NFL would want so they don't have to make a decision. I don't really agree with any of them because he's not yet lost any money and I don't think reporting in May was going to force anyone's hands. But we are getting close to were I'm thinking he's making a huge mistake if he keeps sitting out.

Where Texans, Deshaun Watson stand heading into training camp

The Texans report to training camp in a week, but it still appears obvious they will do so without quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Although not much new information has come out of the Watson camp, he reportedly still doesn’t plan on ever playing another game for the Texans and is prepared to sit. Complicating matters are the 22 civil suits filed by women who accuse him of sexual assault and harassmentduring massage sessions in 2020 and 2021.

The Texans open training camp on July 28, and they can start fining Watson $50,000 for each day of camp he misses. A more likely scenario, which was mentioned by Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer last week, is the NFL puts Watson on the commissioner's exempt list until his legal issues play out. Under that scenario, Watson would still get paid, but isn't counted as a member of the Texans' active roster. It also would save the Texans from having to fine their superstar until his off-the-field issues are settled.

“My sense is the league would probably try to kick the can down the road as long as the legal situation’s still playing out, and the way they kick the can down the road is that exempt clause," Breer said on The Dan Patrick Show. "They put the player on paid leave and they basically push pause on the whole thing."

Watson has been quiet this offseason, even mostly abstaining from social media, except for a recent resurgence on Snapchat. His likes on Twitter have raised some eyebrows, hitting the heart on a couple tweets from Texans’ character coach Dylan Thompson and liking a tweet Monday from a fan who asked him to “like this tweet if you playing this year.”

Still, there is no reporting that lends any hope to Watson ever wearing Steel Blue again.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter said last week that he thinks “the Texans have mentally and physically prepared to move on without Deshaun Watson. So, the question becomes: When do the Texans trade Deshaun Watson? Is it this summer? This season? After the season? I personally think they’ll wait until his value is restored and they don’t have to trade him off at a discount.”

That would mean the Texans bide their time and possibly wait until next offseason – when presumably the lawsuits against Watson would be behind him, one way or another – to deal their star quarterback, hoping to maximize his trade value.

The Philadelphia Eagles would make the most sense as a trade partner for Watson since they could have as many as three first-round picks in 2022, but the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport says no deal is even being talked about yet.

“It doesn’t sound based on my knowledge that the Texans have made any move toward trading him at all,” Rapoport said Monday.

That leaves Texans fans anxiously awaiting July 28 to see what happens when the team hits the field for the first mandatory practice of the offseason, unless the NFL steps in before then with the exempt clause.

Users who are viewing this thread